One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-05-15 11:17:23

minth

Why I decide to quit this toxic game

First of all, I consider myself as some kind of veteran. I can do most of vital tasks like getting oil, smith, cook... Why do I have to make it clear that I'm not a beginner because that you could understand that I know a certain aspects about the game
Let's get started:
- There are too many griefers in the game. They are intended to ruins people's time. Each new update there are more ways to grief. Some ppl do this just because the game is boring to them, nothing to do. No fun in the game, no interesting tasks. Dealing with griefers is hard sometimes. It could make you mad or upset definitely not a great experience. 
- Griefers trying hard to ruin the game. They are very serious, they even do youtube channels, websites to fishing accounts. They doing all of that. They find that killing defenceless ppl, long boring lure bears, raising lame wild pigs even more fun and better than the game itself. 
- The game is too complicated and very hard to understand. New players eating all the berries, carrots, pepper and do nothing useful. Some task can be taught some don't. If they want to be useful they have to learn it and do research themself. In many cases new players curse veteran. They thought veteran destroy berries is bad, take some stuff like sulfur to another town is bad. The communication is suk so its very hard to explain to them.
- The game is no forgiven. I don't understand why we keep getting nerfed and make the game harder and harder. You need to make mistakes so you can learn but there is no forgiven in this game. If you eat too many berries, curse you, if you take stuff, curse you, I even got curse because I take stuff from my town to them and they thought I was stealing from them. If you spawn as EVE right now it is very hard, no food, have to check iron mine ...
- There is no room for creativity. You have to play the game exactly as Jason want you to play. Even we have difference races the process is the same. The white is completely useless which is a very bad game design. Why do you make a useless race??
- There is no purpose in the game. I thought it would be archive the highest tech and have fun. But nope, You constantly need to get oil which is a long and boring task. While you doing that your town got grief and got destroyed in 20 mins.
- The weekly update is also a good and a bad thing. I don't play this game for weeks and now I don't even know what the posse is??

Inconclusion the game just makes you mad, upset, stress, no fun, no forgiven no clear purpose and you always have to keep to its update even it good or bad. >> That is exactly a toxic game

Last edited by minth (2020-05-15 12:16:06)

#2 2020-05-15 12:49:52

JonySky
Website

Re: Why I decide to quit this toxic game

May 2020: 47 Players
one.jpg

#3 2020-05-15 13:03:41

minth

November and December is Christmas occasion and the game may be on discount which explains the rise of the graph. We are now in the quarantine period which is ppl have time to play but they just don't want to play.

#4 2020-05-15 13:09:24

Catfive

the posse is a way to make it that you need an army before you can kill a griefer. this can be reduced to just solo kill if you are proclaimed emperor of all mankind.

#5 2020-05-15 13:14:56

minth

The posse is complicated. Seem like it is related to the follower system which is a useless system. I don't want to understand it anymore. Just more and more complicated things. My town white fam got mass and easy killed by our king yesterday. Obviously it is not working as everything else.

#6 2020-05-15 13:38:07

DestinyCall

Unfortunately, the developer wants this game to be unforgiving, stressful, and toxic.   He thinks it is more interesting that way.     I don't anticipate it getting any better.    Only more complex and harder for new players to understand.    As the older players figure out the systems, they will be made more difficult to keep things "interesting" and the cycle repeats itself.

#7 2020-05-15 13:50:25

StrongForce

XD
Once players learn how powerful the leader is they will select their heir carefully and not just give it to the "griefer" who asked for it.
If a griefer can kill the whole town noone is informed about how it works. That's the players fault. And especially the old leaders fault.

Baby dance!!

#8 2020-05-15 13:51:49

StrongForce

I suggest having multiple leaders so you have redundancy. Just like in real life a dictatorship can be good if the leader is good. But he can also be worse than hitler

Baby dance!!

#9 2020-05-15 13:52:49

StrongForce

Making a new leader is as easy as saying
"I follow myself".

Baby dance!!

#10 2020-05-15 13:58:34

DestinyCall

How is the average player supposed to become informed about how this system works?     It is convoluted, unintuitive, and largely undocumented, both in-game and on the game's wiki.    Just like the majority of the recent mechanical changes.    Have you ever tried to explain how the new iron system works to someone who hasn't played recently?   In the game, using the limited text and over-lapping speech bubbles, while dealing with a rapidly depleting hunger bar?   It is an exercise in frustration.

I don't think it is reasonable to expect the old leader to educate everyone in town about the intricacies of the posse and hierarchy systems while also trying to keep the whole village well-fed and functional.

#11 2020-05-15 14:08:45

minth

StrongForce wrote:

If a griefer can kill the whole town noone is informed about how it works. That's the players fault. And especially the old leaders fault.

This is no one fault
No one playing the game all the time, know all about the update, know all about the game.
As you said if every one said I follow myself. Then what is the follow system for??? Why not just back to solo kill??
The problem is there are too many way to grief and we can't do anything about it. Even griefing is boring but still more fun than the game to some ppl.

#12 2020-05-15 14:16:34

StrongForce

This forum is an essential part of the game.
Yes someone could compute all the mechanics together that is true.

If you are leader the only thing you have to do right is choose your heir. Make sure he/she does too and that it is a player who knows how to spot another good player.

If you are not in the mood of learning this stuff in game you can read all the posts in news from bottom to top.
Of course only the first post from Jason explaining the update

Last edited by StrongForce (2020-05-15 14:17:07)

Baby dance!!

#13 2020-05-15 14:45:45

DestinyCall

Many players are not active forum users, especially the large number of people who try this game through Steam.    Even becoming a member of this forum requires navigating thorough convoluted hoops to find the "secret phrase". 

It should not be necessary to join these forums and read through dozens of News posts to understand a core mechanic, like Leadership.

#14 2020-05-15 14:54:52

Arcurus

StrongForce wrote:

If you are not in the mood of learning this stuff in game you can read all the posts in news from bottom to top.
Of course only the first post from Jason explaining the update

of course smile

to save your town you need three people which play 24 hours and pass the leadership to each other that would be enough i guess as long as the attackers wont have more people then your village....   in this case better dont run it wont help just curse....

#15 2020-05-15 15:05:17

Coconut Fruit

minth wrote:

As you said if every one said I follow myself. Then what is the follow system for???

You want to have allies, otherwise anyone could solo kill you.

I remember times where we had so little griefing. I could play a whole week and see no griefers.
I like the current state of the game, except for griefing part. We have too many griefers now, and they are effectively ruining this nice game.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#16 2020-05-15 15:36:32

Arcurus

Coconut Fruit wrote:
minth wrote:

As you said if every one said I follow myself. Then what is the follow system for???

You want to have allies, otherwise anyone could solo kill you.

I remember times where we had so little griefing. I could play a whole week and see no griefers.
I like the current state of the game, except for griefing part. We have too many griefers now, and they are effectively ruining this nice game.

actually you would then need a posse with a super-majority to kill or something like this, which mainly Bobo manages to create with the help of Discord....  but if he gets bored hunting you down he can also just pet some boars or repair some engines... so the actual fight is who has more curses and more money to buy new accounts...

By the way funny classic video about the rift:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXeOufAnx1A

For me this game is really fun if you play it without any more commitment then one hour at a time.  If you want to achieve something beyond that, the game destroys you...

Last edited by Arcurus (2020-05-15 15:41:32)

#17 2020-05-15 17:10:37

JonySky
Website

you keep misfocusing the problem
The problem is not Bobo or his gang, not even murder

The problem is the heart of the game, the problem is Jason:
This game is not balanced, it must be balanced with:

- Individual killings, no stupid "innovative" gang mechanics
- "Non-fatal" solutions must be implemented, prisons, stuns, etc ...
- You must create an intuitive game for everyone (new game hub)
- You must create new objects to make life more comfortable (new objects that must eliminate repetitive and boring tasks)
- Diversity in cities (all cities are the same)
- New mechanics must be added to the engine to support the weather, natural disasters, diseases, etc ...

Griefers are in this game because they are bored, they don't want to do the same thing over and over again, they are tired of doing the same repetitive tasks without stopping

Jason prefers to fight Bobo as a child before solving the problem in his game.

OHOL is destined to die, and the person in charge is not Bobo, nor the murders

You can make an extremely fun game including murders and griefers (they generate stories)

#18 2020-05-15 17:22:29

Arcurus

JonySky wrote:

- You must create new objects to make life more comfortable (new objects that must eliminate repetitive and boring tasks)

yea like a robot to clean out all but 9 berry bushes something like in the trailer, but its sole existence is to roast unwanted berry bushes...

#19 2020-05-15 17:26:51

JonySky
Website

Arcurus wrote:
JonySky wrote:

yea like a robot to clean out all but 9 berry bushes something like in the trailer, but its sole existence is to roast unwanted berry bushes...

I was just referring to an irrigation system ...

Robots, cars and planes are currently meaningless in ohol

Last edited by JonySky (2020-05-15 17:29:42)

#20 2020-05-15 19:24:43

Arcurus

JonySky wrote:
Arcurus wrote:
JonySky wrote:

sorry, yea understand your ideas which sound all great, just could not resist to make some berry comment since taking care of excess berry bushes became an occupation these days after the food update, so a robot may help for that i thought and may be very much be appreciated by the community...

I would like to add in your list some terrain changes like near impassable mountains, rivers, oceans and stuff like that.

#21 2020-05-15 19:48:51

Spoonwood

I've played on a low pop server with a streamer over the past few days, and have enjoyed it overall.

Reading reports like these, the game already lacking fatherhood and the possibility of patriarchy as a social structure, tool limitations, and biome limitations (I did try playing some on bigserver2 with those), and I don't miss playing on bigserver2 a bit.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#22 2020-05-15 19:50:37

Spoonwood

Arcurus wrote:
JonySky wrote:
Arcurus wrote:

sorry, yea understand your ideas which sound all great, just could not resist to make some berry comment since taking care of excess berry bushes became an occupation these days after the food update, so a robot may help for that i thought and may be very much be appreciated by the community...

I would like to add in your list some terrain changes like near impassable mountains, rivers, oceans and stuff like that.

You don't mean a rift though that blocks off movement in all directions, right?  More like a range of say, 30 tiles running north and south *only* where the player can't cross due to a mountain, something like that?

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#23 2020-05-15 19:51:44

arkajalka

Imo things that are problem now.

- Cursing is way too strong and it gets miss used a lot. People curse you for the sillyest reasons ever and its frustrating. Earlier if there was a player that was total nuicanse you just showed him the knife and he either he/she learned  or died. Nowdayes you just curse him which leaves a bad taste for everybody. I mean the playerbase is already so small so few curses can set you really back.

Imo this curse system is the biggest reason i play this game less and less.

- The current meta with iron/water is so tough that you have no room to breathe most of the time. Either you work your back off on water/iron tech or your town dies. If you work on iron and water tech then no one will bake/farm and youll hit starvation. Theres so much one person can do. For me it feels like theres really no one working in the town and its all on you or the town withers.

-People are hard stuck on playing the same old same old meta. 3x3 berry bushesh, 7x7 houses adobe horizontals stone verticals... If you try to do anything different you get cursed "for grieffing".

ALSO

NEED CONTENT!

I am Sheep, the lord of kraut, maker of the roads, professional constructor, master smith, bonsai enthusiast, arctic fisher, dog whisperer, naked  nomad and an ORGANIZER. Nerf sharp stone it's op.

"BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" -Jaleiah Gilberts
"All your bases are belong to us"-xXPu55yS14y3rXx-

#24 2020-05-15 20:05:55

Arcurus

Spoonwood wrote:

You don't mean a rift though that blocks off movement in all directions, right?  More like a range of say, 30 tiles running north and south *only* where the player can't cross due to a mountain, something like that?

Oh oh i should not have mentioned the rift...  but yea i mean like something running north and south for some tiles to make some crossing over it quite hard and slow, not a full surrounding magical rift in space and time.

But i like the idea of having some kind of limited map, but not so much limited that the only thing you can do is starving to death. i mean so limited that you use up maybe 3% of the resources something which is more like this world where you still can produce some food maybe not enough in a very hard winter if you did not store, but food should not be the limit in normal cases. Iron would be needed to be brought from more far and far away without magically appearing, so that it makes sense to build roads, bridges and railroads to bring it to your town.

arkajalka wrote:

- Cursing is way too strong and it gets miss used a lot. People curse you for the sillyest reasons ever and its frustrating. Earlier if there was a player that was total nuicanse you just showed him the knife and he either he/she learned  or died. Nowdayes you just curse him which leaves a bad taste for everybody. I mean the playerbase is already so small so few curses can set you really back.

Imo this curse system is the biggest reason i play this game less and less.

- The current meta with iron/water is so tough that you have no room to breathe most of the time. Either you work your back off on water/iron tech or your town dies. If you work on iron and water tech then no one will bake/farm and youll hit starvation. Theres so much one person can do. For me it feels like theres really no one working in the town and its all on you or the town withers.

-People are hard stuck on playing the same old same old meta. 3x3 berry bushesh, 7x7 houses adobe horizontals stone verticals... If you try to do anything different you get cursed "for grieffing".

ALSO

NEED CONTENT!

agree with the cursing. especially cursing some one from another village seems strange, you should have other ways in defending then just cursing.

I think if you kill your own close relatives you should get punished by the game more harder, but not for eating berries. Maybe he is just new from paradise and dont know earth yet. The first thing he gets is a curse.  Would be interesting to combine the cursing with the grave system so at least you need the body to curse (by letting the body rot and making a cursed grave by placing stones on it) or bless (by building a grave with a gravestone stone).

Last edited by Arcurus (2020-05-15 20:19:54)

#25 2020-05-15 20:52:34

tocal

arkajalka wrote:

Both of these are a serious issue, and are related to one another.

Board footer