One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-20 20:28:08

Coconut Fruit

Too many kids issue? Baby distribution changes?

We stopped caring for many of our kids, we don't teach brand new players anymore because we have so many kids while also so much work to do. Fertile women keep popping kids every while. I think something should be done with it.

Also baby distribution system makes it that even super fresh towns get so many people. Would be more realistic if more advanced towns had more people than fresh towns.

It doesn't matter to us if our kids die, it won't hurt our family because we will always have more kids, I think it's not very interesting, I remember when we had no baby distribution system - it was all random, I liked how we had to care for every baby... But unlucky families were dying out so it wasn't perfect either.

I was thinking about making a hard cap on how many times a mother could give birth. I think 2 births per mom could work good (maybe 3 births per mom in late generation... like 45+ maybe) (/die shouldn't decrease the amount of births that a mom can give).

This could make the gameplay funnier and more interesting. Families would die out if they didn't keep their babies. Caring about people would be important.

But... This system wouldn't be perfect sadly. I'm worried that in late arcs we would have too many families, because an Eve would have to be spawned whenever there is no more moms that can give birth.

Also, what if moms were unlucky and had only boys? Advanced towns instead of having many people would have only a few of them.

Yeah, after all this isn't a good idea, but I'm posting it anyways because we have a few issues here:
- Fresh towns have the same amount of people as advanced towns.
- Women keep popping too many kids.
- Caring about every kid doesn't matter since a family can't end up with no kids and due to that die out... I mean it happens but probably because people give up when there is no food/water/iron.
- In these times it's hard to spend time on teaching people, especially when we have so many kids and so much work to do.

Maybe someone of you will find a good solution for these issues.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#2 2020-04-20 20:36:41

Coconut Fruit

Re: Too many kids issue? Baby distribution changes?

Also I wonder how old 'all random' system would work now, with no families limit and a chance to spawn as Eve whenever you start a game (maybe only to people within top 50 gene score).

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#3 2020-04-20 21:01:44

Spoonwood

Re: Too many kids issue? Baby distribution changes?

Coconut Fruit wrote:

It doesn't matter to us if our kids die, it won't hurt our family because we will always have more kids, I think it's not very interesting, I remember when we had no baby distribution system - it was all random, I liked how we had to care for every baby... But unlucky families were dying out so it wasn't perfect either.

Lineages dying out wasn't the issue exactly.  The issue was that the lineages were *permanently* dead.

Coconut Fruit wrote:

I was thinking about making a hard cap on how many times a mother could give birth. I think 2 births per mom could work good (maybe 3 births per mom in late generation... like 45+ maybe) (/die shouldn't decrease the amount of births that a mom can give).

The same issue could occur with multiple mothers having children at or near the same time in a single location.  Something like 20 mothers having their two or three children within the time frame of 2 minutes.  I would guess that you don't expect that though, because you're thinking about things only in terms of roughly the current incoming player population with it as relatively stable.

Coconut Fruit wrote:

I'm worried that in late arcs we would have too many families, because an Eve would have to be spawned whenever there is no more moms that can give birth.

There does not exist problem with too many families.  Seriously, on what basis could too many families make for a problem?  There exists a problem with a game system that discourages people learning it from the ground up.  And a game can't do that without players having the option to start from ab initio conditions by choice.

Coconut Fruit wrote:

Maybe someone of you will find a good solution for these issues.

Pein's solution of technologically gating population here: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 688#p94688 could work if the details got fleshed out correctly.

Also, just turning over control to players to have the possibility of a child from the second child on, should work.

And seriously the game has always held a flawed foundation for growth, because the notion of trying to balance what families need for all possible growth situations is impossible.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

Board footer