One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-04-05 00:22:49

Coconut Fruit

A little guide for beginners

Onetech.info:

You can find all recipies for items on https://onetech.info. It's a very useful and always up to date site. Just search an item, click the "tech tree" icon and follow the steps to make it.

A little guide:

You will want to learn yumming and eating different foods at first, because after recent food changes you would harm your family by not doing it. Water is limited and it's always good to save it.
Wiki is outdated, yum chain doesn't break anymore after eating a "meh" food, but the best strategy is to eat only yum foods.

Yumming works like this: Every food is yum only first time you eat it in current life, that means, ideally you will want to eat every type of food only once per life.
When you holding a food, you will see above your food bar "yum" (you haven't ate it yet) or "meh" (you already ate it). Your yum meter grows up everytime you eat a yum food. Yum foods give you bonus calories equal to your yum meter (for example, if you have 15 yum meter, next yum food will give you +15 bonus food pips and increase your yum meter to 16).
We have 7 different types of pies that look the same, but every type of pie is another yum food.
You will have easy life if you yum!

For eating some foods you will need an empty clay bowl, for eating others you will need an empty clay plate, some foods can be picked right away with hand.

It's a good strategy to have as many yum foods as possible in your town, that's why you will want to learn farming (+ making composted soil) and cooking next. Cook all variety of pies, plant different crops, make milk, stews... The more foods variety the better.

You will also want to learn how to make clothes, how to smith, how to make sheep pens, hot to make and upgrade wells (last well stage is very complicated to make, you can leave it for expert players).

Own Server:

The best way to learn the game is by playing on your own server with no hunger and aging. Playing on your own server doesn't require buying the game, so basically you can learn the game and buy it later if you haven't done it yet.

Making own server is very simple thanks to Awbz. Just download full windows latest release, unpack it wherever you want, open server folder and for the first time opening use runServer.bat as administrator (it will create softlinks. Probably there would be need to make softlinks on your own in older windows versions) and tada, server is running and you can run your game and connect to localhost.

To remove hunger just increase numbers in settings (minFoodDecrementSeconds and maxFoodDecrementSeconds) and to remove aging increase number in secondsPerYear setting. You can also forceEveLocation so you spawn in your town everytime. And don't forget to gently close the server with ctrl+c so it won't crash next time you open it.
You need to be 15+ years old for some actions like getting horse with lasso, so if you play without aging then you should also set 15 in forceEveAge setting.

There are no tool slots and biome restrictions when you play alone on your own server.

Zoom mod:

I feel like view size in this game is way too little. There are a few zoom mods made by players, you can zoom in and out with mouse scroll. Awbz mod and Hetuw mod are the most popular. Awbz is very minimalistic, probably the best one to start. Hetuw is the best one IMO with many functions, but may be overhelming a little at begin. To install a mod just download one of these, put the file in your game folder, and start the game with the file you downloaded. (If you bought the game through steam, your game folder should be in C:\Steam\steamapps\common\One Hour One Life).

Don't worry, mods can't break the game, it's just one file and you can always switch to playing without a mod just by starting the game with original .exe file.

Most likely you will need to manually update your mod after every game update. Just download latest release from links above.

For some people game is running slow when they zoom out too much in big towns, if you have similar issue here is a fix for this.

Last edited by Coconut Fruit (2020-06-26 02:39:48)

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#2 2020-04-06 20:28:31

Caiaphus Tarwater

Re: A little guide for beginners

Thank you.  As a total noob, this is very helpful.

Also, I think many new players probably don't use the tutorial map to learn all that they can.  I didn't realize at first that it was possible to forge an axe and a shovel to escape from the tutorial walls.

With great respect, the issues of interest to veterans are far beyond my noobie concerns at the moment.

May I suggest that something like this post be made a "sticky" at the top of the Main Forum?

#3 2020-04-06 21:44:42

Spoonwood

Coconut Fruit wrote:

Own Server:

The best way to learn the game is by playing on your own server with no hunger and aging. Playing on your own server doesn't require buying the game, so basically you can learn the game and buy it later if you haven't done it yet.

Making own server is very simple thanks to Awbz. Just download full windows latest release, unpack it wherever you want, open server folder and for the first time opening use runServer.bat as administrator (it will create softlinks. Probably there would be need to make softlinks on your own in older windows versions) and tada, server is running and you can run your game and connect to localhost.

To remove hunger just increase numbers in settings (minFoodDecrementSeconds and maxFoodDecrementSeconds) and to remove aging increase number in secondsPerYear setting. You can also forceEveLocation so you spawn in your town everytime. And don't forget to gently close the server with ctrl+c so it won't crash next time you open it.

There are no tool slots and biome restrictions when you play alone on your own server.

There was a user named Mekkie who more or less did this, and as evidence of that, some of the clips of her playing on her own private server before even playing on a public server still exist: https://www.twitch.tv/mekkiepoo/clip/El … &sort=time
https://www.twitch.tv/mekkiepoo/clip/Cr … &sort=time
https://www.twitch.tv/mekkiepoo/clip/Sm … &sort=time

Her last post on the forums was as follows:

Mekkie wrote:

Thank you for explaining just how out of touch you are [Jason].

By reading this i gather that jason has no intention of ever rolling back the racial restrictions.. which for me is a deal breaker.  I've been waiting around for months hoping they would be removed.. but with this hard stance on them.  Yea no.  Time to uninstall.

Peace everyone, it was fun while it lasted.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 372#p90372

After all, why in the world would one want to play a game where one's learning of that game gets dis-valued?

Resentment of players achieving things isn't a good way to build a good game.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#4 2020-04-06 22:45:11

Elsayal

Caiaphus Tarwater wrote:

Thank you.  As a total noob, this is very helpful.

Also, I think many new players probably don't use the tutorial map to learn all that they can.  I didn't realize at first that it was possible to forge an axe and a shovel to escape from the tutorial walls.

With great respect, the issues of interest to veterans are far beyond my noobie concerns at the moment.

May I suggest that something like this post be made a "sticky" at the top of the Main Forum?

You are so kind !
Please email me if you want to join me on a low pop server and take some time to learn, well, anything you like smile

"I go"
"find"
"iron"

#5 2020-04-06 23:03:30

Spoonwood

Elsayal wrote:

You are so kind !
Please email me if you want to join me on a low pop server and take some time to learn, well, anything you like smile

jasonrohrer wrote:

The reality is that the [public] low-pop servers are a vestigial edge case. They are there with hopes and dreams of this game ever getting popular enough to fill them all (3000 simultaneous players, or whatever it would take). They are not there to serve as a low-pop experience. They should probably be removed to save money (and will eventually, long term), but for now, they are cheap enough to keep around. Also, because the dream of 3000 players isn't dead just yet.

https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/issues/529

Danish Clinch.

#6 2020-04-06 23:47:20

sigmen4020

Spoonwood wrote:
Elsayal wrote:

You are so kind !

jasonrohrer wrote:

The reality is that the [public] low-pop servers are a vestigial edge case. They are there with hopes and dreams of this game ever getting popular enough to fill them all (3000 simultaneous players, or whatever it would take). They are not there to serve as a low-pop experience. They should probably be removed to save money (and will eventually, long term), but for now, they are cheap enough to keep around. Also, because the dream of 3000 players isn't dead just yet.

Guess that’s checkmate guys. You can’t use the other servers like that, because Jason didn’t intend them to be used that way.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2020-04-06 23:47:50)

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#7 2020-04-06 23:47:36

Elsayal

Caiaphus Tarwater wrote:

Yes Indeed !
Coconut should be a mod. smile

"I go"
"find"
"iron"

#8 2020-04-07 00:42:16

Spoonwood

Elsayal wrote:
Caiaphus Tarwater wrote:

Yes Indeed !

jasonrohrer wrote:

And yeah, as many players have suggested, I could offer a buffet-style game, where there's a Solo variant, and a group variant, and a battle royal variant, etc.  Think Minecraft Survival vs Creative mode.

However, if I had done that, the game would have been watered down in its about-ness.  How many of those YouTubers would have played the solo version by accident and NOT found a crazy, unique, and streamable game?

That's why I'm so nervous about the tutorial.... it's not really what the game is about, and it gives the wrong first impression.  I want to dump you right into the crazy uniqueness.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 038#p90038

Danish Clinch.

#9 2020-04-07 00:51:14

Elsayal

sigmen4020 wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:
Elsayal wrote:

You are so kind !

jasonrohrer wrote:

Guess that’s checkmate guys. You can’t use the other servers like that, because Jason didn’t intend them to be used that way.

Lol. Who said that ? They are not meant so serve as, but for now, it doesn't harm any one to use them.
Checkmate you said ?
Well, maybe you should learn chess a bit more wink

"I go"
"find"
"iron"

#10 2020-04-07 01:55:57

Coconut Fruit

Elsayal wrote:
Caiaphus Tarwater wrote:

Yes Indeed !

Nah, I shouldn't tongue

Don't discuss with Spoonwood or it will turn into another spam place, actually nobody should discuss with him, ever tongue
Don't reply in this topic Spoonwood, pls.

Last edited by Coconut Fruit (2020-04-07 01:57:34)

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#11 2020-04-07 09:23:15

sigmen4020

Elsayal wrote:

Lol. Who said that ? They are not meant so serve as, but for now, it doesn't harm any one to use them.
Checkmate you said ?

I was very clearly mocking Spoonwoods stupid point, that Jason’s intentions somehow has a say in how people should play the game. But I guess sarcasm doesn’t translate well into text.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2020-04-07 09:25:54)

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#12 2020-04-07 14:45:22

Spoonwood

sigmen4020 wrote:
Elsayal wrote:

Checkmate you said ?

I was very clearly mocking Spoonwoods stupid point, that Jason’s intentions somehow has a say in how people should play the game.

My points were not as you describe them.  One of my points lay in the disagreement between what people liking this thread find good to do, and what Jason finds good to do.  Also, it shows that Jason doesn't understand, nor appreciate learning for players, unlike the people who have commented here.  Also, that such for OHOL won't be possible in the future.  Such probably will be possible for You Are Hope in the future though, since the game designers there don't resent and positively seem to value players learning parts of the game.  Also, the above quotes and the one below in part suggest why this sort of post isn't likely to get stickied.

jasonrohrer wrote:

The core experience of OHOL is getting thrown as a screaming baby into a situation that you can't control, at the mercy of a group of total strangers, and somehow finding your place in their existing order, and then passing down whatever order you manage to create to the next generation before you die.

It's a trans-generational survival game.  That's what it is.

Even the tutorial is a bit of a spoiler for the core experience of the game.  When you fire up the game, you should be a screaming baby in a crazy situation right away, but instead, you're a full-grown adult locked in a little maze of walls.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 965#p89965

So according to Jason, you guys aren't suggesting something consistent with his assumptions, and you probably won't be able to do such in the future.

Again though, the game You are Hope has designers which seem to value learning, so they might sticky a post like this wherever they host discussions.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-04-07 14:49:56)

Danish Clinch.

#13 2020-04-07 14:51:47

Elsayal

Nice bullshit Spoonwood smile

Please don't speak for Jason or try to understand what he means when he wrote that, cause you got it wrong, again.

"I go"
"find"
"iron"

#14 2020-04-07 15:56:01

Spoonwood

Elsayal wrote:

Nice bullshit Spoonwood smile

Please don't speak for Jason or try to understand what he means when he wrote that, cause you got it wrong, again.

I don't find it surprising that you don't want me to understand.  It would be too inconvenient for you to have to engage with arguments coming from someone who you believe understands and deal with those arguments rationally.  You would prefer a situation where you can seem witty by using certain words instead of having to engage in analysis and rational argument.

Additionally, your requests are rejected.  I've already engaged in understanding what Jason wrote, and I won't be rejecting my understanding.

Danish Clinch.

#15 2020-04-07 16:10:43

Elsayal

Spoonwood wrote:

someone who you believe understands and deal with those arguments rationally.

You are not a rationalist Spoonwood, you are sophist.
And you are a good one, I won't deny it : you even fool yourself.

"I go"
"find"
"iron"

#16 2020-04-07 16:32:35

Spoonwood

Elsayal wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

someone who you believe understands and deal with those arguments rationally.

You are not a rationalist Spoonwood, you are sophist.
And you are a good one, I won't deny it : you even fool yourself.

This is just another insult.  It's not analysis, any set of connected propositions with respect to a subject, or anything that leads to any sort of understanding.

Danish Clinch.

#17 2020-04-07 16:55:07

Elsayal

Sorry if I hurt your feelings there, my intention was only to find an appropriate name to define what you do when you make what you call "analysis". Like the sausage-thread-quoting-cutting.

But you're right : I should have kept it to the thread subject, and have this exchange with you in private.

My apologize to Coconut.

"I go"
"find"
"iron"

#18 2020-04-07 18:24:50

Spoonwood

Elsayal wrote:

Sorry if I hurt your feelings there, my intention was only to find an appropriate name to define what you do when you make what you call "analysis". Like the sausage-thread-quoting-cutting.

But you're right : I should have kept it to the thread subject, and have this exchange with you in private.

I did not assert that you should have an exchange with me in private.

I also don't think for a moment that you honestly seek to find an appropriate name, because of what you referenced.  I quoted it in full before, and will do so again, because I think what you said adequately demonstrates that you weren't looking for a name, you were looking for something less than the truth:

Elsayal wrote:

You continue to play on words, kiddo.
Too bad you didn't read and write the second sentence !
I guess it's your sausage way of thinking you love so much.

Danish Clinch.

#19 2020-04-08 01:16:23

Caiaphus Tarwater

The Little Sticky for Beginners, if it should come into being, must include what Mr. Fruit began with here, and it should also suggest clicking on Mr. Rohrer's username here and clicking on "see all posts" and skimming through the last few months to find those where he explains and re-explains what he is trying to achieve here.

I found out about the game when I heard an interview with Mr. Rohrer on NPR.  I have nothing but the greatest respect for what he is reaching for and the progress he has made.  I love being an independent and unpredictable and creative organism in his petri dish.

I think I understand why Mr. Rohrer wants us to learn in game.  I agree with his goal, so my response is that I want to learn the crafting basics, or at least a career or two... the mechanics of living and being useful... as fast as I can, precisely SO THAT I can contribute to addressing the very interesting longer-range challenges that emerge. 

You've got to be able to catch, throw, and bat before you can get in the game.

In the real world, the idea that different races have inherently different capabilities is, of course, a very old and dangerous misconception we do not want to perpetuate.  This misconception could be said to be the essence of racism.  I sympathize that for some, like Mekkie, this is a deal breaker.   I hope a creative alternative aimed at achieving the same goal can be found.

Thanks for all the help here from each of you.

#20 2020-04-08 02:21:03

Spoonwood

Caiaphus Tarwater wrote:

You've got to be able to catch, throw, and bat before you can get in the game.

I don't think you understood what I quoted above.  Players don't learn to catch, throw, and bat from the tutorial.

I also don't think that the people at NPR understood the game, nor do I think that they thought about it all that thoroughly.  This especially:

NPR wrote:

His games are like social experiments and this time, he’s betting against cynicism and for love.

But reproduction is not something players choose to have happen to them... especially not when that interview got released.  And male characters may as well get called reproductive incels, because they can never reproduce.  And Jason has been cynical about men in the past:

jasonrohrer wrote:

In fact, many people are claiming that the effect is too strong.  Male babies are being left to die.  In fact, male characters seem worthless in the game.  That can't be right.

But that's kind of the point.  Relatively speaking, males are, and have always been, kinda worthless.  Cannon fodder.  Miners.  Death row inmates.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1401

On top of that at one point in the interview he talks about advanced players abandoning babies.  That isn't him betting in favor of love, but is more like an expression of a death wish for players, since such has been necessary before.

Danish Clinch.

Board footer