One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-21 01:52:52

Karrots

BABIES IN BACKPACKS!!!

A bit over a year I made this post:

(summarized with less cringe and unimportant ranting)

Karrots wrote:

Jason has said that he would not be adding babies in backpacks. But I refuse to give up, dammit.

Basically, the reasoning was that we should choose between the baby and the cart. This was supposed to be realistic or something...? Either way it completely fails because it tries to create a real world problem that doesn't exist.

I get that for a naked Eve running around in the jungle they should not be able to shove the baby in a basket and continue braving the wild world. But why should a woman, dressed in fancy clothing and living in the city be forced to leave her baby to waddle behind her because she's carrying a basket of [important material x]?

God, Jason. We have cars and planes and french fries. Do you honestly believe that at this point in the tech tree, where people are rich and food is plentiful, the only option is to choose to let your newborn baby walk behind you as you try to carry the cart back to camp?

You want us to migrate towards resources but give us no good way to carry children. Maybe even make it a baby carrier, a new back item that requires high tech. I do not care. Just give us someway to carry babies.Even the Native Americans had ways to carry their children as they work. Having kids should not permanently take you out of the workforce! Right now OHOL mothers have to sit by the fire and constantly feed and watch their babies. With babies in backpacks they could work and carry the child without worrying.

Just throw us this bone.

I would like to reiterate these points:
-There is absolutely no historical reason for us not to have babies in backpacks. Our ancestors easily carried babies in slings and the like.
And,
-This function would promote travel and immigration, allowing for increased interactions between families.

It has been a year. Babies are still not in backpacks. This needs to change.

Jason, pretty please with a cherry on top? Even shove it to the bottom of your priority list, as long as it's on there I'm happy. Babies. In. Backpacks. It's a perfect addition. I can't see why not.  Pleaaaaase?

P.S. Babies in backpacks.

#2 2020-03-21 04:14:05

Gogo
Banned

Re: BABIES IN BACKPACKS!!!

Well, right now we got a tendency that main fires are dying out, so if females would continue to work with bb in bpack, there won't be anyone to guard the fire at all.

#3 2020-03-21 09:15:56

Elsayal

I just throw mine next to the fire when I need to work.
And you can still travel.

"I go"
"find"
"iron"

#4 2020-03-21 13:42:37

Morti

Gogo wrote:

Well, right now we got a tendency that main fires are dying out, so if females would continue to work with bb in bpack, there won't be anyone to guard the fire at all.

There are tricks to maintaining the fire for longer periods, that we have not yet put into practice.

Impatience leads to waste, and waste to scarcity. We know this, yet we do not practice conservation of resources, even as players who are clearly the fastest and most experienced, are by far the brightest and most valuable. Our haste to throw firewood onto a normal fire and our tendency to cut firewood into kindling, are two of our biggest flaws. There exist clocks, all around us, there is no excuse not to use them to aid us in managing our resources.

I was working on a document, to make a post about fire, when I was looking into chemical reactions a few weeks ago. Perhaps I'll make a post about it. It's a fair amount of information to consider, not just the numbers, but putting them into practice, while managing space and natural resources.

Also, I don't want to deny other people, too many opportunities to teach, optimize and argue, on this forum, or in game. You all make such good shows of your reluctance to change habits, I can see why people would find pleasure in the shows you make of your own self destruction, but just saying that 'out loud' makes me ill. I wish for your improvement, more than your surrender. I have always, wanted you to display better habits, for others to pick up on.

That said, I don't want to see the nursery turn into a McDonald's, but it will, when Jason inevitably adds soda and sandwiches, to the game, while mothers work the coal beds and breast feed, amidst the hot coals and flash fires. He has set us up, for that future as well as many, unfortunate others. =/

Board footer