One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-19 18:01:53

Spoonwood

Imagine 130

130 is the maximum number of people before bigserver2 splits at present.

So, imagine 130 players all logging into bigserver2 during an update.  There exist only 4 families at present, so long as there exists a fertile woman and womb cooldown doesn't override things, until one of them reaches 40 generations, correct?  Alright, so that's possibly (126/4) = 31 some children per Eve!

Probably, most Eves feeding even 20 children, and living to old age, would just work out as too many.  10 is probably too many also.  And that was when feeding a child cost the mother one pip.  But, imagine 130 people joining bs2 with this recent change:

"Nurse cost is now a live server setting. Pushed up to 2 (was 1)."

https://discordapp.com/channels/3282153 … 2783836161

Eves would starve early on trying to feed children or not feed children.

I don't think this game is desgined for substantial growth in terms of its playerbase.  It was most definitely designed not to grow during The Rift period, and it shrunk in terms of playerbase, and probably could only go that way.

And maybe there exist a bunch of players not getting fed now... I guess time will tell.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-03-19 18:09:55)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#2 2020-03-19 18:13:10

fug

Re: Imagine 130

First: There would not be 4 Eves due to the code that kicks in to spit out Eves whenever the baby population is too high.

Second: While I dislike the idea of discouraging moms to pick up babies its a setting that can be adjusted when needed. This means it can go up to 20, it could go down to 0 and maybe if we're lucky it could go negative. I mean there's just a cute/funny/weird thought behind the baby feeding its mom.

Third: Clearly new players just aren't getting enough of the tough love we got back in the day, so obviously we need to abandon more babies on server reset unless you walk into a town instead of a fresh area. On a serious note though, I do think when stuff like this gets changed or anything related to Eve it should be tested on a clean slate instead of a map full of towns. It's easy to say a change is minuscule when people spawn in and completely skip early game.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#3 2020-03-19 19:42:44

Spoonwood

Nice organization fug.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#4 2020-03-21 01:17:01

Saolin

I always imagined that ideally an unlimited number of players could all live on the same server at the same time, so if the game became really popular we would have one main very-populated world with a sprawl of developing towns and families.

Board footer