One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-16 15:50:42

schmloo

Seed of an idea to be expanded on for trade — Climates

A climate map that covers large swaths of non-extreme biome land that essentially replaces the need for restricting cultivation of certain “luxury” crops (such as sugarcane and glasswort), and instead makes these resources available to some towns and not others. Since “trade” has been enforced through recent changes, this would allow towns to have a reliable supply for any demand that might arise.

Of course this idea of trade still relies on the premise that towns actually survive long enough for a reliable deal that lasts several hours (or many, many generations) can be made. Another problem there is communicating that deal to an entire town, who have their own goals they want to fulfil in the space of a short hour.

Insert OHOL-related signature here

#2 2020-03-16 21:35:59

Morti

Re: Seed of an idea to be expanded on for trade — Climates

A blend, of the home and racial restrictions, on a scale, similar to the Arc? Maybe a quarter of the arc's size, something like 350x350?
Hmm... or 200x200, where the springs dry, because of your family well, you are free to roam?

It would become, like a lot of tiny, little arcs.

But you are suggesting that they already exist. So maybe, the world is already, squares, or, areas, of approximately 40,000 square meters (200x200) that if a well is placed in them, become, the home climate, and all the biomes contained within them, their resources, are accessible, by the family that has, acclimatized, themselves, to that area?

Something like that?

I suppose they could even vary. Climates don't have to be various shapes, all of 40k in size.

Some formula similar to the old biome formula, that made patches of the world, could be used, and it could be up to Eves, or, explores, to go out and claim those patches, the resources inside, make homes, and, when a resource runs dry, then their descendants can consider trade.

People could try to monopolize biomes within climates, going around and getting their family on all the tundras... though, I see the point of gingers on tundra, and blacks on desert, even though in reality, Africa is rich, in a hell of a lot more than desert biomes, and, there are no cacti in the Sahara. At least, not naturally, and, not even in the wild, far as I know. Pretty sure cacti are an evolution of plants native to the Americas, but I may be wrong.

So, the racial things aren't perfect, but, the point is there. How to turn that into climates?

K%C3%B6ppen-Geiger_Climate_Classification_Map.png

I think climates are a little too similar to biomes, maybe regions?

... I really don't want to say countries, but I could see some similarity. Maybe city limits? Counties? States? Take your pick of any country's wording for political boundaries.

I'd rather these sorts of things weren't forced, but rather, decided upon, by the players, if they so choose, but, we've had some things, and, now we don't have some things, so, test runs would certainly be possible.

#3 2020-03-17 04:23:07

schmloo

Re: Seed of an idea to be expanded on for trade — Climates

Morti wrote:

But you are suggesting that they already exist. So maybe, the world is already, squares, or, areas, of approximately 40,000 square meters (200x200) that if a well is placed in them, become, the home climate, and all the biomes contained within them, their resources, are accessible, by the family that has, acclimatized, themselves, to that area?
Something like that?

Sort of. Definitely predefined areas. But possibly, there are three types of climates that relate to each extreme specialty biome: humid, hot and cold. Each climate defines what kind of specialty biome the map will generate, jungle desert and tundra respectively.. An idea here could be that certain families can only build wells in certain climates, and/or get certain fairly minor debuffs to being in (or settling in) a non-ideal climate. Slightly faster food drain, slightly lower fertility, etc. This would make white people have a little bit of an advantage, since they can settle in any "climate". This would allow people to judge exactly what biomes are around without the requirement of third-party zoom mods, and would allow for a reliable gathering and stockpiling of already valuable resources. This size should definitely be bigger than 300x300 though in my opinion, more judged across how far one town's sphere of influence is. On a side note, I feel like home regions and climates should be more based on the topology of the map, but I understand if that's too much work.

These climates could have a visible map overlay too, but maybe that too is a stretch.

Morti wrote:

So, the racial things aren't perfect, but, the point is there. How to turn that into climates?

K%C3%B6ppen-Geiger_Climate_Classification_Map.png

I think climates are a little too similar to biomes, maybe regions?

Key factor here is the equator, and the fact that the Earth, in contrast to OHOL, has a northern and southern "limit", considering that one is a sphere and one is a completely flat, infinite map. Another idea then with this in mind is that the climate map is generated in a horizontal gradient-like pattern, with "hot" being the equator, "humid" being just above the equator, cold being above that, and then it loops back to the equator...?

Morti wrote:

... I really don't want to say countries, but I could see some similarity. Maybe city limits? Counties? States? Take your pick of any country's wording for political boundaries.
I'd rather these sorts of things weren't forced, but rather, decided upon, by the players, if they so choose, but, we've had some things, and, now we don't have some things, so, test runs would certainly be possible.

Yeah, definitely. countries, states and counties all fall under the social aspects of society, caused by a need to feel divided from another settlement from difference in culture. Climates would however bring a passive, natural reason for a family to call it its "domain", since that's where all the resources that are accessible by only them are. Rivers, for example, are another natural example of a natural feature that have been used to separate different peoples, but I digress.

Last edited by schmloo (2020-03-17 04:25:05)

Insert OHOL-related signature here

Board footer