a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-03-01 22:27:37

Dantox

Improving: Property fences

an idea because of reasons.

Changes:
-Name changes into Family Fences
-Fences can be converted back into its respective fence kit with the permisson of an elder note (the kit has one use and could be stacked)
-Everyone in the family have permisson of the gates
-Exiled family members will lose any permisson to gates and fence-removal
-You cannot insta-upgrade, for every upgrade you will need to wait 1 hour (to prevent insta-griefing blockage)
-Elders can give permissons to anyone outside the family (skeptical of this one)
-New tool: Hammer (Recipe: short shaft + hammer head)
-Fences can be destroyed by anyone inside or outside the family.

Twig fences:
-You can still make twigs from any tree branch, however they become a set of Twig fences that has a use of 4 tiles
-A set of twig fences can be stacked up to 16 (with 16 uses only)
-You can place them on the ground but they will fall apart after 30 min
-You can prevent this with hitting them with a round stone
-Twig fences can be destroyed with any sharp and blunt tool. However they can hold up to 4 hours with no need of maintenance

Wood fences:
-You can use boards into any twig fence to upgrade it into a unstable wood fence; It will fall apart after 1 hour in this state
-You can hammer it down to make it a firm wood fence that can last up to 8 hours and they will need repairing in the last 2 hours before falling apart
-Wood fences can be destroyed after 3 hits with the axe (Each hit will require hungry-work)
-Wood fences can be painted

Reforced fences:
-You can use wrought iron to upgrade wooden fences (One iron would make 4 reinforced fences, might need to shape the iron first with a newcomer-something)
-Reinforced fences can be destroyed with the use of 5 hits with an axe and 1 of with a pickaxe that require hungry-work with each hit.
-They last 12 hours before needing maintenance (can be repaired with a hammer or smithing hammer)
-Can be painted

make bread, no war

#2 2020-03-02 02:59:17

Kinrany

Re: Improving: Property fences

Why?

#3 2020-03-02 05:28:57

Dantox

make bread, no war

#4 2020-03-04 21:21:32

schmloo

Just let people climb over fences, the transition takes longer than 12 seconds (time it takes before you can kill) but short enough time to escape without it being considered too time-consuming.

Last edited by schmloo (2020-03-04 21:22:18)

Insert OHOL-related signature here

#5 2020-03-05 16:32:00

Coconut Fruit

IMO property fences are too OP. Let's be honest, people use them only to make animal pens. Making an animal pen with property fences is too easy and way too fast, it takes only a few moments to make a pen.
They were useful in times where we couldn't trust other families and had to make walls, but now everyone shares everything. People could even curse someone for hiding stuff in a property.

I would like to disable them for now.

Btw, a funny story of Jason playing and trying to make a property for him and his kids. It just shows that people don't like when family stuff isn't shared. Jason eventually got killed.
Here's the story: http://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewto … 853#p80853

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#6 2020-03-05 17:51:00

fug

Coconut Fruit wrote:

IMO property fences are too OP. Let's be honest, people use them only to make animal pens. Making an animal pen with property fences is too easy and way too fast, it takes only a few moments to make a pen.
They were useful in times where we couldn't trust other families and had to make walls, but now everyone shares everything. People could even curse someone for hiding stuff in a property.

I would like to disable them for now.

Btw, a funny story of Jason playing and trying to make a property for him and his kids. It just shows that people don't like when family stuff isn't shared. Jason eventually got killed.
Here's the story: http://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewto … 853#p80853

If you set things up privately in the middle of town people are generally in the right to be annoyed, especially if you build something that isn't self-sufficient since you're essentially just restricting resources for no reason. I'd assume he probably built a bit too close to town if he really wanted a private property considering someone walked up on him doing it in the first place, and to once again make an assumption I couldn't imagine the place was big enough to really be useful. Obviously I wasn't there so I can't see the big picture but like most private property in game I would say it landed in the bad type of property category.

What I would classify as a good "private" property can be found in one of Twisted's videos which was something I personally built.

It is:

1). Far enough from the main town to not be an eyesore or take up space.
2). In general, it is mostly self-sufficient. You do need an axe/hoe/knife generally and some water IF you aren't gathering wild berries to feed sheep but due to the track line I always paid it forward for things I used/borrowed by sending them back food.
3). Allows players to come and go as they please. Generally speaking when I build a fishing hut/area I use snow doors so people can't take without being ginger, however I find most people don't just loot areas like this anyways.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R26u2qAQ57s

Of course the place has issues because generally speaking it's too small for all the people you see in it, it might be a bit too far from town though thankfully the tracks work as a trail, and generally speaking not enough worms to go around so those extra poles are mostly useless.

Overall, I do think something like this is what Jason would like to see when it comes to family goals. You see me, twisted, and my other kids basically all working together in the video (though I'm doing a lot of the grunt work like yarn collecting + skewers). Each family member is either fishing, cooking, teaching, or raising children and honestly it feels really good which is why when I play I like to only play ginger female atm.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#7 2020-03-05 20:47:55

Coconut Fruit

I'm totally fine with property fences. Except for that they can be used to make animal pens.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#8 2020-03-06 01:09:04

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Coconut, not sure how to solve that problem... I mean, unless animals could walk through them?

But yeah, free animal pens was an unintentional side-effect.

People also made animal pens out of other stuff before, like oven bases, or single stone blocks.

Fug, you're right.

What you're expressing is the fundamental principles of homesteading.  You can only do it on truly unclaimed land.

Obviously, the land that I was building my fence on was not really unclaimed.  The people nearby objected to what I was doing.

It was still a damn good story!

Board footer