One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-18 15:37:02

Lava

No one likes Race Restrictions

Why do we still have race restrictions in the game, literally no one likes them and the whole purpose which was “trade” never has and never will happen. Even in the village it’s not trade, it’s literally a melting pot to survive no trade just people donating resources to keep the village alive. Please change this to make other races able to go in ALL biomes just it’s way harder for them. Maybe some gear they can acquire from other races that will make it viable for them to enter a hostile environment.

#2 2020-02-18 22:06:25

JonySky
Website

Re: No one likes Race Restrictions

Simple answer: because people continue to play OHOL ....
When something frustrates me or I don't like it ... I usually separate away

Last edited by JonySky (2020-02-18 22:08:20)

#3 2020-02-21 02:04:39

Spoonwood

JonySky wrote:

Simple answer: because people continue to play OHOL ....
When something frustrates me or I don't like it ... I usually separate away

Seriously with all these threads about the hair-based restrictions (it's easier to understand them through people's hair than their race in my opinion) and the tool limitations, the phrase "insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results" seems appropriate.

Though, I will add that in addition to not playing, people might choose to join the so-called "griefers", but not for the purpose of 'lolz', but specifically for the purpose of trying to dissuade people from wanting to play.... to drive them away from playing one might say.  Also, keep in mind, that people in the real world could have better lives if they didn't play this game, perhaps because video game addiction is real.  Or perhaps, because the game is supposed to be 'art', yet it has gotten designed so that players may all too easily value rotten, terrible, if not evil things.  Like people in the future having reproduction forced onto them.  As if women in the future shouldn't have a reliable ability to say 'no' to forced childbirth in any way without killing herself (even by a preventative method such as a pill, or abstinence from reproductive activity).  Also, one might point out that infanticide has seemed valued by the game for a long time (abandoning babies, because of so many mouths to feed) and what sense of values would someone who called a painting or poem that praised infanticide as good have?  If someone praised a poem about the 'virtues' of infanticide, would you not be offended and think such a person had bad values?  And the game fails as "art" with respect to male characters also.  Supposedly in the future humans should be content that fatherhood for persons *in* that future doesn't even exist, that men have no unique role in society, and so on.

So why would trying to dissuade people from playing this rubbish "art" be bad?  No, perhaps it is good to try to take serious measures to get people to view this waste of electrical resources as something not worth their time.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-02-21 03:29:22)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#4 2020-02-21 03:00:57

DestinyCall

I feel like I just read the Unabomber's manifesto.   

You really need to chill out, Spoon.   Advocating for using "serious measures" against other people is not okay.  If you have decided OHOL is evil and you don't want to play it anymore, then just stop.   You don't have to get everyone else to stop playing too.   Have some respect for people's right to hold different opinions from your own.

#5 2020-02-21 03:28:26

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:

Advocating for using "serious measures" against other people is not okay.

It's not against other people to try to wake people up to something being bad that they only viewed as good because they only saw it from a shallow perspective.

DestinyCall wrote:

Have some respect for people's right to hold different opinions from your own.

I don't view what you have written as talking about any sort of right like you proclaim.  Instead I view what you have written as calling for a license to believe bad things good.

"Matter of opinion", please.   As if forced reproduction could qualify as "art" worthy of the name.  As if NO fatherhood at all could qualify as "art" worthy of the name.   As if human infanticide in the future could be "art" worthy of the name.

Danish Clinch.

#6 2020-02-21 03:39:28

DestinyCall

Spoonwood wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

Advocating for using "serious measures" against other people is not okay.

It's not against other people to try to wake people up to something being bad that they only viewed as good because they only saw it from a shallow perspective.

Oh, you are trying to "wake people up" huh?    I don't think so.    Don't try to make it sound so innocent and victim-less.     Call a spade a spade. 

If you were just using your words to convince other people that this game is evil, I wouldn't be bothered.   You have a right to your opinion and this is a forum for talking about OHOL.   

But I'm NOT okay with you encouraging people to go in the game and wreck stuff "specifically for the purpose of trying to dissuade people from wanting to play.... to drive them away from playing one might say"   That goes beyond arguing your opinion in a public forum and moves into the territory of online bullying and harassment.

#7 2020-02-21 03:51:01

Dodge

Spoon is joining the dark side

Tbf DT is where it's at right now so might as well grief to join the better town.

#8 2020-02-21 06:03:54

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:

Oh, you are trying to "wake people up" huh?

Yes, I have been.

DestinyCall wrote:

I don't think so.

Oh, apparently you were not being genuine. 

And Destiny wants to talk about online bullying and harassment when she starts off by falsely asking questions?

Danish Clinch.

#9 2020-02-21 06:15:29

DestinyCall

Who are you addressing when you talk about me in the third person?

#10 2020-02-21 06:27:17

DestinyCall

Spoonwood wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

Oh, you are trying to "wake people up" huh?

Yes, I have been.

DestinyCall wrote:

I don't think so.

Oh, apparently you were not being genuine. 

And Destiny wants to talk about online bullying and harassment when she starts off by falsely asking questions?

I would explain rhetorical questions to you, but I don't want you to accuse me of sexual harassment.

#11 2020-02-21 07:12:42

Spekulazitus

Dodge wrote:

Spoon is joining the dark side

Playing the game at all is joining the dark side of humanity.

DestinyCall wrote:

You don't have to get everyone else to stop playing too.

If a gaming community wants to destroy itself, let them do it. The same way nobody told you to save it.

Spoonwood wrote:

As if women in the future shouldn't have a reliable ability to say 'no' to forced childbirth in any way without killing herself

Spoonwood if you were suddenly the dev of the game, would you pull the plug or improve the game?

#12 2020-02-21 16:46:48

Spoonwood

Spekulazitus wrote:

Spoonwood if you were suddenly the dev of the game, would you pull the plug or improve the game?

Pull the plug permanently or temporarily?  Also, improve the game according to Jason's "vision" of it, or according to my concept of what it should be or other people's concept of what it should be?

Danish Clinch.

#13 2020-02-21 18:15:33

Spekulazitus

I mean what you would do, if you literally became Jason in this moment.
Your mind unchanged, except for the relevant skills that Jason uses like coding, art so on added to your mind.

Not implying that you would want to own the game nor to code it. That's why I asked if you would pull the plug, in case you don't give a damn about the game, like a withering pot plant in your room.

But if you want to code the game, I am not sure to whose concepts you would do it. That's freely decided by you in this assumption.

#14 2020-02-21 21:46:16

Spoonwood

Spekulazitus wrote:

Well I'd have a financial interest in the game.  I think I would hire help while re-working it, or probably more likely sell the rights to it to some development company because of that interest.

There's only one person who has a financial interest in this game (well... maybe Twisted does also), and everyone else who has no financial interest in it.

Spekulazitus wrote:

That's why I asked if you would pull the plug, in case you don't give a damn about the game, like a withering pot plant in your room.

I don't think your question does what you've thought it does, because if I were suddenly the dev of the game, people would still be buying access to public servers.

Danish Clinch.

#15 2020-02-21 22:16:28

DestinyCall

You know what they say ... love of money is the root of all evil.

Board footer