One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-16 01:45:51

ConfandibulumFlakes

a different way to stop all the killing

I think the game should model more of the real-life consequences for killing people, rather than introducing oddly artificial constraints like "no solo kills."

If you live in a hunter-gatherer society, and you kill off all your tribespeople, you are going to lose all of your own protection against the elements, and you will lose much of your protection from the animals, and you'll also lose all the people who could help you feed yourself--and while it might seem a small thing to mention, it's also true, that without anyone around you'll get incredibly lonely.

Because of the nature of this game, those consequences will never occur organically; if you kill everyone, they're just going to respawn--and when you die, you're going to respawn near them--so you have an endless supply of victims AND people to talk to.

So I think the game itself should become harder for people who get cursed:

- They should spawn as barren eves, far from any population centers.
- Harmful animals should appear around them more often.
- Life-sustaining resources should be harder to find.
- They should be informed that life is harder when you're cursed, and things will get better when the curse wears off.

In real life, if you go on a mass murder spree while living in a tiny tribe, your life will get exponentially more difficult, and you'll have no one to talk to.

Just so, in this game, the consequences of going on a mass murder spree should be that your life gets exponentially harder and you have no one to talk to.

#2 2020-02-16 06:04:31

TheRubyCart

Re: a different way to stop all the killing

The world Map's endless, you cant do these animals and less resources, because it's openworld, this just would make it hard for everyone near the cursed person

You are amazing, you are loved, and have a good day to whoever might read this <3

#3 2020-02-16 12:37:40

JasonY

Need content to end the killing.

Need Content

#4 2020-02-16 15:19:06

ConfandibulumFlakes

The world does whatever Jason wants it to do; he could make resources and animals spawn differently based on proximity to certain people--and then make them spawn normally again if those people make contact with others.

And the whole point is to have *no one* near the cursed person, because part of their punishment is to be far, far away from others.

Make murderers spawn really far away and make their conditions harsher, it explicitly does not make the game harder for *anyone but them*.

#5 2020-02-16 15:37:28

Flachzang

Your suggestion feels artificial to me, too.

For more „real-life consequences“ for murderers, you would need something more like in terms of legislative, executive and judicial consequences.

#6 2020-02-16 21:09:19

ConfandibulumFlakes

It's nowhere near as artificial as the "no solo kill" changes.

It's a simulation of the actual consequences for those actions, consequences which the game can't organically model.

And I'm not personally crying if a briefer has an artificial experience of the game, not that I agree that's what it would be.

Legislative, etc, consequences aren't "real-life" in the context of small hunter-gathering societies.  I'm talking about what's realistic for societies at that stage.

#7 2020-02-19 10:29:41

Kinrany

There are two problems here:
1. Recognizing bad behavior in automated way
2. Punishing bad behavior in a way that actually matters

The current system is clever: it recognizes that "bad behavior" is subjective. It's basically the same as killing all babies you personally cursed.

People who want to destroy a town do not care about their own survival, so we simply can't rely on punishments that last less than an hour.

One very old idea is to only allow people to spawn as their own descendants. If there are none, you're banished to another server until the next apocalypse. This way you'll really care about your children surviving, and not because of some artificial bonus points.

#8 2020-02-19 16:11:47

Lava

I really like this update Jason put out with the cursing it really helps and griefing has significantly gone down.

Last edited by Lava (2020-02-19 16:13:38)

Board footer