One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-14 19:18:27

Chestburster

Sick of the same towns

Anyone kind of miss the arc system?

I mostly start the game now playing in the same towns that I've been born into for the past couple weeks. All of them have pretty much everything anyone would ever need in a town and there's one particular town that I seem to be born into like half of the time I play.

I just really would like an opportunity to start from scratch again like you do at the beginning of an arc, but that doesn't really happen anymore. I really miss when completing certain jobs could mean the life or death of a village. Now nothing really needs to be done and you are free to pretty much live around eating food without doing much if you really want to.

I've been trying to cause an apocalypse atm, but its been difficult.

#2 2020-02-14 19:26:48

fug

Re: Sick of the same towns

I mean it's kind of fruitless to go out and start a town from scratch because either:

A.) You need two families so you don't get stuck on the deep well level tech which ends after a few hours.

or

B.) You need to set everything up over multiple lives before moving something like a ginger family in to do the oil part.

It's nice having lasting towns but it's also nice to be able to set up places on greener pastures. It's not viable to make new towns in the current game without basically grabbing a black + tan female and working together on a new place or you're stuck basically making your own town and ushering people in later.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#3 2020-02-14 19:27:41

DestinyCall

I remember how many people were sick of how boring it was to live in the Rift and how the frequent wipes made everything feel transient and meaningless.

#4 2020-02-14 19:29:04

Dodge

Even if there is a reset in less than a day we're back to big towns with plenty of food and nothing meaningful to do.

Current meta is stardew valley meets club penguin

#5 2020-02-14 19:30:01

JasonY

I feel like the Arc was actually fairly similar to now tbh. People got "sick of the same towns" so they tried to kill off everyone.

Though I did like the fact that in the arc you would eventually lose, either way, Fit the "nothing lasts forever" theme a bit more. I think their needs to be a fine balance between civilization lasting long enough for people to enjoy it but not overstaying it's welcome and becoming a murder hub.

Last edited by JasonY (2020-02-14 19:31:40)

Need Content

#6 2020-02-14 22:18:45

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

No. The game was never like this before the rift.

This is happening because of "family specialization" aka race restrictions. Eve's can't spawn super far away because we need them to just keep surviving. Therefore, they spawn close and that's why we'll see the same towns forever and ever.

Before you didn't need another family. So Eve's spawned 2K apart and you hardly ever saw the same town twice.

I would do another apocolpyse, but babysitting the apoc tower for 12 hours doesn't sound fun.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#7 2020-02-15 01:36:31

OneOfMany

Okay, so I feel compelled to chime in (and I won't even role-play doing it) I FREAKING LOVE IT! I've never had so much fun as I have now. I've been developing a play style of living off the land, trading and dead towns. Always moving and bringing my family with me. With an infinite world, food is plentiful and free. I have just been moving through the world and enjoying myself and my experience.  It's been a very different experience than I am use to in OHOL, but I am enjoying the game a lot more. I use to toil to learn all the recipes and be "efficient". I now throw my fate to wind. I live off my wits, the land, with trading and "what not", and I have never had more fun. Honestly, I don't even mind the tool limit.

I am a dirty, dirty roleplayer. I roleplay in the game, sometimes on the forum and if I'm being honest, a bit in real life. I can't help myself. I'm a dirty, dirty roleplayer. Don't hate the player, hate the game. smile

#8 2020-02-15 01:47:27

Mekkie

This is a side effect of the racial restrictions.  Every new town runs out of water within a few generations and dies out, so only the lucky few who managed to find browns and blacks AND manage to actually talk to them, get to survive.  This means every life you spawn into the same couple towns. 

I appreciate all the anti-griefing stuff jason is doing lately, but honestly.. as long as racial restrictions and language barriers exist, the game will just never be fun for those of us who enjoy the city building.

#9 2020-02-15 18:34:43

Chestburster

Oh interesting that it wasn't actually the lack of the rift. I only started playing right after rifts were introduced so I have no idea what the game was like before that.

One good thing I got out of this is seeing everyone mention Zucc World. When Zucc World was first on its way to becoming the most prominent town I saw the sign that would hold the towns name with jumbles of mixed letters on it with more strewn all over the ground next to someones recently deceased corpse.

I was unable to unscramble any town name my predecessor intended, nor did I care. After deciding on a great name with only a few more letters to fill in from what I started with. I carefully arranged them on the board. I then took a few steps back to admire the newly created centerpiece for the town with such a prosperous future...

"ZUCC------
WORLD"

Yes my friends, I am in fact the one who christened Zucc World.

That is until someone just as determined as I decided to have a go with the lock, found the letter to be h, and gave it its current name, Succworld. In doing so they added on to the towns already rich history, teaching us the important lesson that the views of ones generation don't completely carry over with those of the generations that follow. Times are always changing, and we can only advance with the help of new minds with fresh new ideas.

One generation's Zucc,
paves the way
for another generation's Succ.

Last edited by Chestburster (2020-02-15 19:01:01)

#10 2020-02-15 20:12:44

Gogo
Banned

From Zucc to Succ - history of town in two names. Zucc was not too bad, until it last for too long, became boring and messy. Many people decided to go there and 70% of tables are a storage for their clothes. I think fancy clothes should decay and backpacks too (as long as knives and bows). Also it's not best developed town. I'm watching Twisted videos, towns used to be pretty (:P).

Board footer