One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-02-11 03:39:27

WomanWizard

To all the people who just cursed Bobby Quant...

...for being the "animal griefer."

Congratulations. You just cursed my real life mother, who spent her entire in game life killing the dangerous animals that somebody else brought into town. She has never griefed a day in her life.

She doesn't play a lot of online games, but the parenting and family/community building in One Hour One Life sucked her in a long time ago, before the game was nearly as toxic as it is today. Griefers frustrate her to no end, but she's hooked and the game is apparently still enjoyable enough for her to come back time and time again. But now? Who knows. She's asking me all kinds of questions about what's going to happen to her now that she's been cursed and tagged for future lives, and I can't answer her questions. I simply don't know, because the mechanic is too new.

This is why the new cursing mechanics worry me. Now she's been ganged up on and killed in a town (she actually had a posse after her?! are you guys serious?!), cursed by people for saving the town, and she has to suffer the consequences of being marked as a griefer in subsequent lives? This mechanic is too easily exploited by griefers who can turn the town on the wrong person and tag innocent people, who will then become suspects every time there is a griefer in the town in which they are born (which is pretty much always.)

This is a woman who loves this game, plays it with her husband and daughter, rescues babies and hand feeds people who are afk. She'll happily spend her entire life farming and feedings kids and now she's cursed and tagged for not only trying to save the town, but actually succeeding?

Let this be a cautionary tale. Be careful who you curse, and whose word you trust, because now more than ever, griefers are going to want to pin their wrongdoings on someone else. Know the whole story and only trust griefing you've actually seen happen. I just hope this doesn't negatively affect her future lives, because she loves this game and now her anonymity is gone.

#2 2020-02-11 04:04:08

JasonY

Re: To all the people who just cursed Bobby Quant...

You shouldn't have introduced her to this toxic game.

Need Content

#3 2020-02-11 04:08:38

Grim_Arbiter

Aww.. legitimately tell your ma sorry for me.

Ive had Similar situations forsure and I'm sure many vets like your mom have to run into it. It definitely sucks to have everyone be manipulated by someone into going after you. Sometimes it's done completely maliciously, but I've honestly seen a few people in game (and even a streamer) be wayyyy to cop like and look for people doing bad things. They dont mean to stir up everything in their heart of hearts, but end up going after ther wrong person and confuse evidence.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#4 2020-02-11 04:27:27

MrGold

She will be avenged

Im Mr.Gold I /hmph

#5 2020-02-11 04:27:54

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

I'm so sorry about your mom. Hopefully Jason puts a stop to these hideous griefers someday.

We're not all bad. It's just a handful of people hurting everyone. Hopefully he sees that someday.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#6 2020-02-11 04:58:56

Gogo
Banned

If she's good maybe they won't bother her. I cursed many people, some of them aren't as bad, I'm writing which one did what.

Maybe there should be "I forgive you" (1 day after you curse that person!) and soft ding would appear to let this person know.

#7 2020-02-11 06:23:42

DestinyCall

I do think there should be a blessing system as a counter-point to curses.    It would be nice to be able to recognize the good people, not just the bad ones.

#8 2020-02-11 06:33:37

Kinrany

If a griefer can turn the town against someone, clearly that's the problem, and not the cursing itself.

Of course, that problem might be hard to solve, so it might make sense to temporarily make cursing less permanent or something.

#9 2020-02-11 06:35:15

unoriginal artist

MrGold wrote:

She will be avenged

dude u were a part of the griefer squad dont fucking lie gold you've been outed

#10 2020-02-11 07:23:39

Rose

JasonY wrote:

Two years ago OHOL was not a toxic game.

#11 2020-02-11 07:51:44

DestinyCall

When I started playing OHOL, I was really impressed by how nice the community was.   The spontaneous cooperation and support between strangers that I experienced in this game is a rarity in multiplayer games.   Even the forum was full of people sharing their love of the game and fun lives that they had played.   Griefing wasn't exactly rare, but it didn't overshadow the good parts of the game.   On the whole, the community made it a great game to play, full of heartwarming and funny moments, along with the occasional tragedy or disaster.

The game and community has been through a lot of changes since that time.

#12 2020-02-11 07:59:53

Dodge

Doesn't matter there will be so many tags that hers will go unnoticed anyway lol

And now that slightly more Eve's are spawning there should be more families, so less chances of being in donkey town in case you get mass cursed by mistake in one life.

Rose wrote:
JasonY wrote:

You mean when people where getting insta murdered and black screen with no chance of healing?

Sure

Rude behavior is part of every online game (ever) some more than others depending on the type of game, but it's not a constant part of it.

#13 2020-02-11 12:19:57

Jojigirl

DestinyCall wrote:

When I started playing OHOL, I was really impressed by how nice the community was.   The spontaneous cooperation and support between strangers that I experienced in this game is a rarity in multiplayer games.   Even the forum was full of people sharing their love of the game and fun lives that they had played.   Griefing wasn't exactly rare, but it didn't overshadow the good parts of the game.   On the whole, the community made it a great game to play, full of heartwarming and funny moments, along with the occasional tragedy or disaster.

The game and community has been through a lot of changes since that time.

Yeah, it happens to all games that are online multi-player..  The more known a game gets the higher the chance of "toxic" players joining in..

I remember before the war swords and the rift were introduced it was still pretty peaceful around here. It was nice hopping on and reading wholesome and funny stories about a life just lived, it usually ended up in reconnecting with someone you just played with.  We have too many griefers in the game and too many vocal douche-bags on the forum now.. It sucks to see.

#14 2020-02-11 13:00:02

Kinrany

Jojigirl wrote:

Yeah, it happens to all games that are online multi-player..  The more known a game gets the higher the chance of "toxic" players joining in..

I wonder what the real reason is.

Is it true at all, or is it just our selective memory?

Is it caused by popularity, or does it merely happen over time?

If it's a popularity thing, what exactly happens? Do popular games disproportionately attract toxic players, or do players in popular games become more toxic?

Perhaps people with bad memories are just more likely to leave, while people with good memories stay and are later surprised when their experience regresses back to average?

#15 2020-02-11 13:03:20

JasonY

Dodge wrote:

Doesn't matter there will be so many tags that hers will go unnoticed anyway lol

And now that slightly more Eve's are spawning there should be more families, so less chances of being in donkey town in case you get mass cursed by mistake in one life.

Rose wrote:
JasonY wrote:

You mean when people where getting insta murdered and black screen with no chance of healing?

Sure

Rude behavior is part of every online game (ever) some more than others depending on the type of game, but it's not a constant part of it.

Honestly, I'd rather insta murder. Just be less drama with killing and no more bs safety nets. You become a glass canon, combined with the modern systems law can still be enforced.

Last edited by JasonY (2020-02-11 13:18:00)

Need Content

#16 2020-02-11 14:59:00

Cantface

Our first game that we played me and my partner were led offscreen and insta killed with bow and arrow. It was a little funny the first time but I DON'T miss the insta black screen of death. I think the killing system is fine (until griefers meet and squad up) but otherwise it's alright. I took out a son yesterday when he was on cool down for killing the last fertile woman, nobody joined but I got him easily seeing as he was running slow.

Last edited by Cantface (2020-02-11 14:59:36)

Breasticles

#17 2020-02-11 15:10:10

Gogo
Banned

I think youtubers with their funny, but stupid videos are attracting more trolls etc. into game.

#18 2020-02-11 15:28:47

Cantface

Gogo wrote:

I think youtubers with their funny, but stupid videos are attracting more trolls etc. into game.

To an extent I agree because almost every single streamer for ohol that I've watched has had a 'griefer moment' or two. It is a part of the game, sure! But as long as there's a 'good' posse to fight the 'bad' posse we should be fine.

It's sad that a posse ganged up on your ma Wizard, believe me I know it sucks; https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=8876
Luckily this happened before the black text curse update but still it was hands down one of the worst lives just because of all the work I did to help that was overshadowed by roleplay crazies.

If the curses still wear off after 30days then I'd suggest she take a break, I just got done with mine and a long break was EXACTLY what I needed to come back with fresh eyes. I even got a son of eve run where I didn't have tool slots! If only I wasn't born a white dude, I could have helped more lmao.

Last edited by Cantface (2020-02-11 15:38:20)

Breasticles

#19 2020-02-11 22:50:41

WomanWizard

My mom read through this thread and appreciates the responses, so thanks everyone! The venting and resulting sympathy helps take the edge off the frustration. She played a game earlier today and so far hasn't had any consequences, but we'll see over time. We don't actually know how many people ended up cursing her after she died. For all we know, someone wandered into the scene of the crime and calmly informed the crowd that that was the guy who had killed the wild animals and everyone repented for their sins. (Hey, a WomanWizard can dream, right?)

But yeah, I agree that griefing is a pretty major issue with this game. I've taken breaks from it for months at a time as a result, especially when I see people, including the developer, in the forums insisting that griefers are needed to keep the game interesting. I've had maybe one or two interesting griefer experiences in game, and those were more likely than not real disagreements rather than actual griefing. The rest are frustrating and/or tedious to deal with. I have my hopes that this update will give us more good than bad, but I also know that it's hard to stop humans from being humans, and humans are really good and joining the mob when something's going down (me included).

So please be alert when cursing!

#20 2020-02-12 02:16:22

unoriginal artist

The people who did this to your mother was bobo's gang, currently half their discord members left his group after what happened with your mother cause they felt so badly and me and some friends got to go and kill them all ingame during one of their ingame raids so if it will make your mother feel better we griefed her griefers for over 2 hours. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0auIXuHsGw

#21 2020-02-12 02:38:34

Lava

WomanWizard wrote:

My mom read through this thread and appreciates the responses, so thanks everyone! The venting and resulting sympathy helps take the edge off the frustration. She played a game earlier today and so far hasn't had any consequences, but we'll see over time. We don't actually know how many people ended up cursing her after she died. For all we know, someone wandered into the scene of the crime and calmly informed the crowd that that was the guy who had killed the wild animals and everyone repented for their sins. (Hey, a WomanWizard can dream, right?)

But yeah, I agree that griefing is a pretty major issue with this game. I've taken breaks from it for months at a time as a result, especially when I see people, including the developer, in the forums insisting that griefers are needed to keep the game interesting. I've had maybe one or two interesting griefer experiences in game, and those were more likely than not real disagreements rather than actual griefing. The rest are frustrating and/or tedious to deal with. I have my hopes that this update will give us more good than bad, but I also know that it's hard to stop humans from being humans, and humans are really good and joining the mob when something's going down (me included).

So please be alert when cursing!

I will tell you what happened. After Bobby died around three people cursed him; that’s a very insignificant number and it won’t effect your mother at all. His most loyal supporter cursed everyone who cursed him and screamed that he was a good man. She died doing that of old age. Everyone thought she was crazy. Flash forward thirty years and war has been declared. The war reached Zucc town, which saw basically a genocide of all the gingers from the whites from QR . (Gingers were the majority of people in Zucc). The browns, a small minority of the population sided with the whites which basically shifted the outcome of the war since they held most of the bows and pads along with the whites.  After the genocide no gingers remained in town, only two ginger survived initially, with one dieing trying to avenge his family, and the other boring the future mensinks (she was last female). All brown and white people who sympathized with the gingers were killed immediately. By the end Zucc town was about five people, who were later killed by their own kind. A fitting end to the story. (Btw Zucc town has long been repopulated).

Last edited by Lava (2020-02-12 04:37:35)

#22 2020-02-12 04:48:55

Lava

I’m also going to give a prelude of what happened that led to Bobby’s death. Twenty years prior to Bobby’s death a women was holding around a wolf pup that was mistaken as a dog so no one really cared. Then, another women brought pig meat and piglets and the pup was fed immediately and released into the nursery. The following minute was a sheer chaos as the babies were trapped inside a cage and the people naive enough to step on tiles were killed. The wolf killed 4-7 people all in all before Bobby put an end to its misery. Two years later, boars were released into the nursery again which killed the returning mothers and babies out people were quick to counter it putting many items on tiles. The three pigs were taken care of easily by Bobby and Tim and the pigs killed 3-5 people all in all. The following five years the women planned a premeditated attack on Bobby since he was keeping the town alive and used posse to catch up to him. They accused him of bringing the animals to town and people began to curse him, a frown formed on his sad face as he begged and pleaded that he didn’t bring the animals to town, but he died shortly after. The stage was set for the impending massacre at Zucc town for its people and its defenders were greatly weakened. Before the last women died she declared war as an elder and died.  Tim, the only survivor of both attacks died towards the end of the ginger massacre.

#23 2020-02-12 05:07:14

Jojigirl

Kinrany wrote:
Jojigirl wrote:

I wonder what the real reason is.

Is it true at all, or is it just our selective memory?

Is it caused by popularity, or does it merely happen over time?

If it's a popularity thing, what exactly happens? Do popular games disproportionately attract toxic players, or do players in popular games become more toxic?

Perhaps people with bad memories are just more likely to leave, while people with good memories stay and are later surprised when their experience regresses back to average?

The more people there are the more diverse the crowd is. The more popular the game gets, the higher chance of griefers joining the game.. 

It's like that in life as well..  It's best to keep your circle of friends small, the more you have the higher chances of having a "Fake friend" or three in there..  Quality over Quantity..

#24 2020-02-12 11:20:01

Kinrany

Jojigirl wrote:

The more popular the game gets, the higher chance of griefers joining the game..

Do you mean that the community was unusually nice compared to the internet, and is degrading back to the average niceness?

#25 2020-02-12 13:28:52

WomanWizard

unoriginal artist wrote:

The people who did this to your mother was bobo's gang, currently half their discord members left his group after what happened with your mother cause they felt so badly and me and some friends got to go and kill them all ingame during one of their ingame raids so if it will make your mother feel better we griefed her griefers for over 2 hours. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l0auIXuHsGw

Good to know!

Lava wrote:

His most loyal supporter cursed everyone who cursed him and screamed that he was a good man. She died doing that of old age. Everyone thought she was crazy.

Was this a brown-skinned woman in a rubber mask by any chance?

Board footer