One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2020-02-12 13:55:00

unoriginal artist

Re: The world's most persistent real life griefer, Carl Panzaram

jasonrohrer wrote:

Fug, the problem is not that they will keep coming back with new paid accounts.

The problem is all the effort it takes to ban them in the first place.

Even banning someone from discord, where there's a full public conversation log, takes hours of collective human time on the part of the mods.

Taking away a customer's paid-for product takes an even more detailed investigation, made even harder in a transient game world.  What hard evidence do I have about what happened in some now-defunct village last week?  And what automated rules can I set that won't catch the wrong person sometimes?  And what is "wrong" behavior anyway?  It obviously varies by context.

We're not talking about just one or two people here.  We're talking about DOZENS of people.  Even if I was lucky enough to be sent video evidence of their behavior, I wouldn't have time to watch all of it!

And FYI, I've never been sent video evidence---OR ANY EVIDENCE AT ALL---of anyone's griefing, despite all the complaints about it.  I'm not asking for you to send me evidence.  Please don't.  I'm just pointing out that we're mostly dealing with hearsay and speculation.  You're studying log hashes and discord activity patterns, and trying to prove who was on server12 at 3am.

That's why individual banning is simply not a tenable solution to this problem.

The solution MUST be put into the hands of the players directly for it to work----and for it to keep working long-term.

Uhm jason i was the one who sent you those videos like 3 or 4 days ago of people griefing and you made changes to this system. *which was much appreciated btw*

#27 2020-02-12 14:08:11

unoriginal artist

Legit Jason made good changes to the system, we should thank him for that of course. But people are still griefing, one problem is lack of organization in towns, griefers ban up BEFOREHAND in a discord and most towns are full of people who are seperate and no one even really talking cept ingame chat, plus most griefers have a mod and are good at hiding what they do, cause griefing is about the ONLY thing they do. At least the really bad ones like bobo.

#28 2020-02-12 14:55:32

Lava

No ones going to buy thirty accounts dodge. And if you have thirty curses it’s not a yes or no, your a griefer simple as that. Also one person having thirty accounts simultaneously living to the age of to curse would never be viable they would die of starvation and you have to be close to someone to curse. So you most EXTREME scenario to disprove bans doesn’t even work sad. On top of that curses only matter if your online so this set player getting mass cursed by one player would never feel the consequences.

Last edited by Lava (2020-02-12 15:04:11)

#29 2020-02-12 16:57:32

Dodge

Lava wrote:

No ones going to buy thirty accounts dodge. And if you have thirty curses it’s not a yes or no, your a griefer simple as that. Also one person having thirty accounts simultaneously living to the age of to curse would never be viable they would die of starvation and you have to be close to someone to curse. So you most EXTREME scenario to disprove bans doesn’t even work sad. On top of that curses only matter if your online so this set player getting mass cursed by one player would never feel the consequences.

First of all yes some rich bored person could totally buy 30 accounts,rich people have millions they dont care, also he could hire people to control accounts or even hire someone to make a bot that controls the said accounts, second using curses to actually ban someone from the game would rely on total number of curses and not if the one that did curse is online, so your attempt to dissprove my EXTREME scenario failed because you lack common sense sad.

#30 2020-02-12 18:11:48

Lava

Your theories are so WHAT IF, What if Hitler is alive? WHAT IF A RICH PERSON BUYS 30 GAMES AND HIRES PEOPLE TO PLAY THEM? no one has bought over thirty copies dodge I can make up the craziest things to prove my point it doesn’t validate it anymore. Also bots are not complete yet with typing functions and are not even used at all in Bs2 present time . Another theoretical lel. And a rich bored person could, but why would they? A rich bored person could do all lot of things but they don’t because it’s either impractical or stupid like this one. Ban people above 30 curses Jason. And all of the bots have to be ALIVE and in the same area of person being cursed, another problem that would never be able to happen , fields would drain out and they would all die on top of the actual real people in the village.

Last edited by Lava (2020-02-12 18:16:34)

#31 2020-02-12 18:17:40

Dodge

Doesn't matter why, they could and that's the issue, it opens up the possibility of banning legit players from the game, also a bot that makes charachters travel to a specific point would be pretty easy to make hetuw has already coordinates and stuff, maybe you would be the one getting banned and would go on a rant about how banning depending on something that players can manipulate is a bad idea.

#32 2020-02-12 18:19:13

Lava

I think the smallest possibility of an extreme scenario happening is fine, if it gets rid of people who make Jason loose the hundreds he can make just by removing known Griefers who half the server has cursed.

#33 2020-02-12 18:45:04

DestinyCall

It's not that hard to identify serial griefers.  They are not actually trying to hide themselves that well.  The average person gets cursed a few times, here and there.   The average person might decide to kill someone once in a while.   The average person GETS killed only occasionally.   

Serial griefers are not average.   They stand out from the crowd because they routinely piss people off and kill people and get killed by other people.  A serial griefer has significantly higher curse burden and a higher kill/death count compared with the average OHOL player.    It would be easy to weed out the "bad seeds" that are currently active in the game just by looking at their user statistics. 
It wouldn't require a huge investigation for every single report of griefing in-game.     Reviewing current user stats,  it shouldn't be that hard to decide on a reasonable threshold for identifying future griefers in a way that would avoid catching innocent players in the same net.   Eliminating the top-offenders won't "solve" griefing forever, but it will significantly lower the amount of bullshit that the average player has to deal with in order to play the game cooperatively. 

Griefers don't even need to get banned from the entire game.   Just pick a low population server to be the new "Donkey Town".    If you are a bad bad boy, you get a permanent ticket to the D Town server.  You are no longer allowed to play on BS2 or any of the other low pop servers, but you can still play OHOL.   In fact, you can even still play with your non-griefer friends (if you have any), since the DT server could be free to join by anyone who wants to go look at life in exile.   New players would join BS2 automatically.   Some of them would likely be griefers in the making and might eventually end up stuck on the DT server, if they worked hard enough at getting cursed.     As the game gets more popular, we can expect that the number of griefers will increase.    The DT server might even get to a healthy size, if the game is popular enough.   Right now, it would probably just be a handful of assholes trapped together.

I can't speak for everyone, but I'd be very happy to see mass-murderers and baby-stealers getting a real punishment for being such unrelenting dicks toward other people.

#34 2020-02-12 19:11:03

Dodge

Lava wrote:

I think the smallest possibility of an extreme scenario happening is fine, if it gets rid of people who make Jason loose the hundreds he can make just by removing known Griefers who half the server has cursed.

Yeah and a lawsuit would ruin him and force him to close servers...

#35 2020-02-12 19:57:35

fug

Dodge wrote:
Lava wrote:

So would a meteor hitting his house killing him and his family.

Game is confirmed dead due to Jason in another universe being obliterated by a meteor. Pack it up kids, he's also being stuck by lightning while a pitbull sniffs his remains. Oh woe is me.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#36 2020-02-12 20:45:08

Dodge

fug wrote:
Dodge wrote:
Lava wrote:

Game is confirmed dead due to Jason in another universe being obliterated by a meteor. Pack it up kids, he's also being stuck by lightning while a pitbull sniffs his remains. Oh woe is me.

Do you live in NA or in some wacky world?

#37 2020-02-12 21:21:22

unoriginal artist

ngl im entertained now *eats popcorn*

#38 2020-02-12 22:42:44

Lava

Dodge wrote:
Lava wrote:

It’s funny BC it’s really easy to identify bots if I was investigating or brand new accounts, stats are really accessible and easy to find, so if sed person was banned, it’s really not that hard to identify new accounts/bots. Your trying so hard to make this viable, LOL.

Last edited by Lava (2020-02-12 22:43:36)

#39 2020-02-12 22:47:20

fug

Dodge wrote:
fug wrote:
Dodge wrote:

Do you live in NA or in some wacky world?

Same wacky world as you obviously.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#40 2020-02-13 00:54:10

Dodge

Lava wrote:
Dodge wrote:
Lava wrote:

It’s funny BC it’s really easy to identify bots if I was investigating or brand new accounts, stats are really accessible and easy to find, so if sed person was banned, it’s really not that hard to identify new accounts/bots. Your trying so hard to make this viable, LOL.

It's funny BC you still dont get the main point i'm trying to make and get stuck on contradicting some hypothetical exagerated scenario. Your trying so hard to win this argument, LOL.

#41 2020-02-13 01:02:58

Melea

DestinyCall wrote:

It's not that hard to identify serial griefers.  ... A serial griefer has significantly higher curse burden and a higher kill/death count compared with the average OHOL player.    It would be easy to weed out the "bad seeds" that are currently active in the game just by looking at their user statistics.

Griefers don't even need to get banned from the entire game.   Just pick a low population server to be the new "Donkey Town".    If you are a bad bad boy, you get a permanent ticket to the D Town server.  You are no longer allowed to play on BS2 or any of the other low pop servers, but you can still play OHOL.   In fact, you can even still play with your non-griefer friends (if you have any), since the DT server could be free to join by anyone who wants to go look at life in exile.

Beautiful, logical response to players that routinely piss off a large chunk of the rest of the player base.

Want to play the cooperative parenting / town settling / building OHOL that the game is advertised as? Then BS2 is your server. Routinely and chronically piss off enough of the BS2 player base in ways that are more suited to the DT server and eventually you'll get permanently moved there.

They're not being excluded from the game itself, simply being moved to a like-minded server so their preferred play style doesn't end up making other players leave the game from frustration. So if you want to play an OHOL that's more based around PVP (such as it is...) and sabotaging other players work? Your play style is obviously more suited to the like-minded individuals on the DT server. Enjoy.

Board footer