One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-28 21:11:14

JonySky
Website

Family and mechanical connections that contradict each other

I have been thinking about the game and I have had some thoughts that I would like to share with you

The game is being cataloged as "a multiplayer breeding and civilization game"
But if you look at the mechanics of the game you will see that it is not so
I explain:

1.- Parenting:
Children in OHOL are not raised ... they are only fed
No type of social interaction is necessary
It is only necessary to feed them 5 times and they are ready to survive

In many of my games I dedicate myself to creating a dictionary to teach the language to foreign children
I put myself in the nursery and at the stake and read my dictionary continuously so that they learn the language ... but it does not work, even when I have been talking and reading the dictionary continuously from newborns ... the language is only learned with the generations ... that is, the mechanics of language is only for generations and not for raising children.

This is a problem because if you are a player who dedicates you to distribute children to other populations, you are forcing a player to play for 60 minutes in an environment where you can not express ... and this does not encourage multiplayer play (many children that I have distributed in several foreign families end up committing suicide)

And as everyone knows how to explain something new to someone, it is a terrible toothache
We have many inconveniences that hinder the task of teaching (limitation in the text, skills boxes, disorder in the cities, limitations of races, etc ...)
it is impossible to teach properly

What we encourage with all this: simple, just what we have now ... child suicides, frustrated new players, community dissatisfied with forced limitations

2.- Civilization
Here I will explain a recent experience:
My town was only 1 race, and I usually like to explore and try to join several families to ours to prolong survival
I left my city very young to explore and find other cities and races ...
throughout my life I found 2 races (jenjigre and black) and managed to move several girls from the other cities to mine
When I finished .. the algorithm of my genetic score considered that I did nothing for the survival of my people
I had spent my whole life traveling and helping to unite several families to mine just for survival! but that didn't matter

A scoring system that is based solely on the survival of your closest family members is absurd in a game where lineages last 250 generations or more!
The game has hardly any reward in helping your family ... but the few rewards that exist, do not work properly (genetic punctuation)

3.- Family

The family in OHOL is non-existent from the beginning to the end of your days
As I have explained before, the "raising" of a child in OHOL is based on feeding him 5 times

but during the useful life of a player several mechanics are generated contrary to the development of a game about "parenting and civilization"
Perhaps the most obvious is: the limitation of skills ...
imagine a car builder who manages to create 10 cars but has run out of skills and is 40 years old
This player who has been working hard for the people and has worked hard, and the game has rewarded him with the disability of not being able to do anything different, without help. GRATIFYING!
Logically when many players run out of skills they commit suicide (because life is cheap in OHOL)

As you can see this mechanic goes against fun and the game of "parenting and civilization"

But there are more family related problems
the game punishes us until once dead

Nobody misses knowing what happened to that foreign girl that your mother abandoned and you saved her from certain death?
Never wanted to know if your nephew has buried him?
You have never wanted to know if your city is still multicultural or another race is dominating all its work?
Or what happened to the king of the town?

Well, it's funny because all this causes just what Jason doesn't want, that the players commit suicide until they get back to their old city and resume their history ...
It could be said that not giving more information about his life, causes suicides and force birth in his old city

Another of the things that OHOL has never done well is the burials, nobody cares about fallen family members
no matter whether they are heroes or villains, the bones are still being abandoned and only some privileged get buried
we want to foster family and union, but to bury a relative will occupy a skill that he may need to create pants ... I'm sorry but it is absurd and forced

Currently in OHOL there are many mechanics that contradict each other
it's like when the morse code radio was developed and the next update we already had a radio to listen to ...
A game has been created to generate civilizations but skills are being blocked so that cities do not grow so fast

I think all this causes the early game to be fun, but when the city grows (2 hours at most) the game loses its meaning because it continually contradicts itself

#2 2020-01-28 21:49:33

Dodge

Re: Family and mechanical connections that contradict each other

JonySky wrote:

but to bury a relative will occupy a skill that he may need to create pants

Just ask the gravedigger, surely there will be at least someone in the village that knows how to use a shovel or is willing to learn since it's used for compost...

Also you say graves are rare but i've seen villages with full cemeteries for tiles on end.

#3 2020-01-29 01:16:56

Mekkie

I think jason just needs to straight up take the civilization part out of the synopsis.  Civilization tends to mean people come together and build and thrive etc... in this game he wants all towns to die out.  Might as well call it a game about Nomads giving birth.

#4 2020-01-29 09:39:31

JonySky
Website

Dodge wrote:
JonySky wrote:

Just ask the gravedigger, surely there will be at least someone in the village that knows how to use a shovel or is willing to learn since it's used for compost...

Also you say graves are rare but i've seen villages with full cemeteries for tiles on end.

I'm not just talking about clicking on some bones with a shovel ... I'm talking about marking the grave and placing some roses, all this in a beautiful or emotional place ... a funeral.

Bury some bones can be done by anyone and is one of the many monotonous and boring tasks OHOL has

If you have seen cemeteries in cities it is for aesthetics, (only available in large cities)
those cemeteries are not because a mother is burying her murdered daughter or because a son buries her mother who has been good to him ... something logical in a game like OHOL

In addition, the figure of the gravedigger is non-existent in most cities where I live ...

#5 2020-01-29 09:54:23

Gogo
Banned

How about change that stupid ghost cloth into robe? With robe you can have a priest, with priest you can have RP funerals.

#6 2020-01-29 10:20:38

Dodge

JonySky wrote:
Dodge wrote:
JonySky wrote:

I'm not just talking about clicking on some bones with a shovel ... I'm talking about marking the grave and placing some roses, all this in a beautiful or emotional place ... a funeral.

Then you ask the engraver to engrave the grave and you place the rose yourself.

Do you think in real life people engrave graves themselves?

No they ask a professionnal for this, even the rose you usually buy it from a store that you guessed it was grown by someone who's job it is to grow them.

#7 2020-01-29 10:40:47

JonySky
Website

Dodge wrote:
JonySky wrote:
Dodge wrote:

Then you ask the engraver to engrave the grave and you place the rose yourself.

Do you think in real life people engrave graves themselves?

No they ask a professionnal for this, even the rose you usually buy it from a store that you guessed it was grown by someone who's job it is to grow them.

You're losing the meaning of this post, this post doesn't talk about it

I will try to explain briefly:
Here I talk about how many mechanics currently implemented contradict the description and the essence of the game

Now I will use burials as an example:
Burying a mother correctly is beneficial to obtain a high genetic score ... but if you do not have skills boxes, this task has to be done by another player ... In short, those points are lost and you have not been able to bury duly to his mother ... they are systems that contradict each other ...

IT'S AN EXAMPLE!!! please do not focus on this

I see that you like the current skill system, and I tell you that it is a solution ... but it is a "bungling" solution and it does not solve the problem ...

Limiting or blocking only creates frustration and contradicts the game itself

Last edited by JonySky (2020-01-29 10:52:22)

#8 2020-01-29 10:59:29

Dodge

JonySky wrote:

Burying a mother correctly is beneficial to obtain a high genetic score

So you're saying burying a relative increases your genetic score?

Score depends on how long your close family memebers survvie and that's it, unless Jason added a bonus for burial and i could be wrong but i highly doubt it, do you have the proof burying increases score?

#9 2020-01-29 11:26:44

JonySky
Website

Dodge wrote:
JonySky wrote:

Burying a mother correctly is beneficial to obtain a high genetic score

So you're saying burying a relative increases your genetic score?

Score depends on how long your close family memebers survvie and that's it, unless Jason added a bonus for burial and i could be wrong but i highly doubt it, do you have the proof burying increases score?

I honestly have doubts ... I can't confirm it ... I've always thought this is normal in a system like genetic scoring ...

We take care of our family until they die ... because we are a family! ... if not, this system still makes less sense

In any case, it is not the only mechanic that contradicts itself (see the example of my first publication)
Travel to find other families and races ... all to help your family ... this does not benefit your genetic score

They are systems that contradict each other, because on the one hand we need the help of other races and we need to travel to get it, but on the other hand you need to take care of yours so that they don't starve ...

sometimes we take care of abandoned foreign children who will contribute in our city ... but that does not count ...

the systems contradict each other

#10 2020-01-29 11:32:54

Dodge

Since burying doesn't affect genetic score i dont see any contradiction here.

People have jobs and you can ask them to do stuff that's about it.

Regarding the travelling part i also dont see the contradiction, obviously not everyone from the village is going to travel to get ressources so others can take care of family members, make food etc.

#11 2020-01-29 11:38:58

JonySky
Website

Dodge wrote:

Since burying doesn't affect genetic score i dont see any contradiction here.

People have jobs and you can ask them to do stuff that's about it.

Regarding the travelling part i also dont see the contradiction, obviously not everyone from the village is going to travel to get ressources so others can take care of family members, make food etc.

Are you trying to tell me that a player can spend a lifetime in a bonfire feeding his children berries and get more punctuation than you who have spent 60 years traveling to get resources?

Do you look logical and consistent with a multiplayer breeding and civilization game?
Don't you think it's contradictory?

#12 2020-01-29 11:45:07

Dodge

JonySky wrote:

Are you trying to tell me that a player can spend a lifetime in a bonfire feeding his children berries and get more punctuation than you who have spent 60 years traveling to get resources?

Do you look logical and consistent with a multiplayer breeding and civilization game?

Why would you get more or less points?

Your mom and sister takes care of the kids/village while you travel to get ressources and there is no more or less score.

#13 2020-01-29 15:31:39

JonySky
Website

Dodge wrote:
JonySky wrote:

Why would you get more or less points?

Your mom and sister takes care of the kids/village while you travel to get ressources and there is no more or less score.

if you decide to take care of children of other races, the system will not take it into account ... even if you take care of an entire foreign family throughout your life ... if your family dies young you lose points ...

a contradictory system since they implemented the blockages of biomes for races and families

#14 2020-01-29 15:42:42

Dodge

JonySky wrote:

if you decide to take care of children of other races, the system will not take it into account ... even if you take care of an entire foreign family throughout your life ... if your family dies young you lose points ...

a contradictory system since they implemented the blockages of biomes for races and families

You're supposed to exchange with other races not take care of their kids, so no it's not contradictory.

#15 2020-01-29 16:53:54

JonySky
Website

Dodge wrote:
JonySky wrote:

You're supposed to exchange with other races not take care of their kids, so no it's not contradictory.

I thought this was a sandbox and we were free to interact with other families and play freely ...

There is nothing written here ... this is the beauty of these games, you can play in a thousand different ways ... if the game does not allow taking care of a baby that is not my family, something is not right ...

OHOL precisely forces me to interact with other races and families for mutual survival ... if I am punished because I have decided to take care of a child who is not of my lineage, the mechanics of genetics is contrary to the game's own style ...

in this case the mechanics of genetics is contradicted by the blocking of races and Jason's attempt at collaboration between families

But I repeat that you are missing the point of publication ...
This is just an example

Last edited by JonySky (2020-01-29 16:56:25)

#16 2020-01-29 17:05:22

Dodge

JonySky wrote:

I thought this was a sandbox and we were free to interact with other families and play freely ...

Yes you are free to play however you want but you dont get rewarded for taking care of kids who are not your direct family members, not sure what you're confused about.

You should always prioritize your family members that's what the score is for, again no contradiction here.

#17 2020-01-29 17:28:36

JonySky
Website

Dodge wrote:

Yes you are free to play however you want

We finally agree on something!

Dodge wrote:

but you dont get rewarded for taking care of kids who are not your direct family members, not sure what you're confused about.

Why can't I get rewards?
Caring for the only black girl in my city can provide me with years of valuable resources for the survival of my family ...
Why don't I get rewards and get penalized?

Dodge wrote:

You should always prioritize your family members that's what the score is for, again no contradiction here.

What if my family decided to commit suicide?
Why should I get hurt?

#18 2020-01-29 17:36:19

Dodge

JonySky wrote:

Rewards? You get the ressources they have access to

If a family member decides to suicide you should do everything you can to prevent them to do it.

#19 2020-01-29 18:21:27

DestinyCall

Dodge wrote:
JonySky wrote:

Rewards? You get the ressources they have access to

If a family member decides to suicide you should do everything you can to prevent them to do it.

Like break into their house and force them to log back into OHOL?   Or feed their lifeless body in-game to prevent starvation or lock them in a room to stop them from jumping on a wolf?    How to you prevent suicide if someone is determined to not live?

Is optimal play really creating a village filled with baby traps so all new villagers are immediately sequestered in danger-proof boxes and force-fed like veal calves to avoid premature deaths?   That doesn't feel right to me.

That isn't what it means to be family.  That isn't "genetic fitness".   It is insanity.

#20 2020-01-30 01:30:16

Jamie

I feel like it's more or less up to the players to interact with family. There is nothing you from talking to your babies, Often they don't have perpose in the beginning so tell them what the town needs.

Civilization building does need some work. The tech tree is padded out by various limitations early and mid game. But there isn't much to do once you build a proper city.

#21 2020-01-30 02:16:24

antking:]#

I get it... in the real world we spend, a good 20 years is school (round about) and in OHLE the moment you turn five you can make an engine. the problem is that the player carries the knowledge of every life, every life you become smarter, you learn how to mange your time what to focus on.

In real life we only get one shot, we learn what we can and work on that, so that the next generation can learn more. the best example of this is when you are a noob and you just start to learn to farm, so the next generation has food and can specialize more. If we played the character and not the player then we could create a simulation of real life. where your knowledge is based on what was passed on to you, where friends can get you into places where family is more then just a respond point. where we have an ownership over things because you worked for them.

but this will not happen with the fundamental problem that we only play the player

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#22 2020-01-30 10:25:07

DarkDrak

The memescore punishes you, among many other cases, whenever you try to do something that will have a relevance in a further future then one hour after your death.
Your family has a newcommen pump but no blacks for rubber? Traveling around to find blacks for help is the wrong approach: your siblings will be dying from famine while you're out. The correct thing to do is to gather water from ponds and hope it lasts until your grandchildren die.
Your newcommen pump is exhausted and you need to advance to diesel? Building the diesel engine is again the wrong approach: your family will die from famine while you're working. Again, the correct thing to do is to gather water from ponds and use it for farming.
You used all the water in 500 tile radius on farming and there's no water left to operate newcommen meccanisms? Not your problem. Your children and siblings will not starve, so you did great.

If you want to ensure your lineage's survival, you have to put the immidiate survival of your family at risk. If you want to gain memescore, you have to prioritize here and now, even if it comes at the cost of sacrificing the future of the lineage. I honestly don't comprehend how can you not see a contradiction here, Dodge.

Personally, i find that the optimal strategy to gain memescore is to dedicate your life to baking (mutton and rabbit) pies and brewing stew Then stuffing the pies in your immidiate family's backpacks as "emergency rations". And costantly keeping an eye on your siblings and children. If you see that they're noobs, ask them to help you brew stew and bake pies, offer to teach them, all so you can keep them close and easly forcefeed them so they don't starve on accident. If they ever have to eat themselves, you're doing it wrong. If they're afk, forcefeed them until either you or they die of old age. Just keep an eye on afk girls popping babies: forcefeed the latter aswell. Never bother yourself with anything more advanced than clothes. Never let that dry well bother you either. And only yum if your town is in completely no danger of dying in the next 2 hours. You don't want to have more people to take care of than what you can handle.

I know that making memescore care for anything more than close family's survival would require quite a lot of coding, but... if it could at least consider how long the lineage went after your contributions, idk.

Youtube guide to Oil and Kerosene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKSZHPiUK6A
Youtube guide to Diesel Engine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sMX_GlwgbA&t=5s

World is not black and white

#23 2020-01-30 13:47:14

JonySky
Website

+10
This is just what I mean!

The memescore is a system contrary to the essence of OHOL:
"a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building"
It is a system that penalizes players who work for the future of their family and punishes professions where it is necessary to travel outside the city.

It is a poorly developed system and has never had a clear objective, nor has it managed to solve any problem

As DarkDrak says the best strategy at this time is to make cakes and be continuously feeding all your close relatives

Anyway, this is only one of the mechanics that contradict each other in the game! but there are many more!
For example:
The skill boxes have been disastrous in every way ... it's a slap to a player who has been working hard in a city ... it's like when you reach 40 and have spent all the skill boxes, the game decides to cut your arms! I think it is totally contrary to the essence of a game of families and civilizations

The individual progress of a player should be better depending on how many more things you do and not vice versa! In short ... the experience.

For example RUST, the evolution in RUST is that the more you play, the more recipes you learn and the more you can do ... in any game it is like that !!

It is simple to understand ...
Going backwards is going against the natural evolution of cities and the game

#24 2020-01-30 14:45:42

Chestburster

I think they key to all of these problems listed is to provide incentive without adding any punishment. I know a lot of people may think the only motive for doing things like marking graves or interacting with family should be purely based on the player, but it can still be enjoyable to have some practical benefits to these things.

Basically add interactions for things that can be beneficial but aren't necessary where any village ever needs to do them. Like farming pigs for example. Pork can provide unique food for yum bonus but a village can thrive forever without it. Something similar can be added for making graves or doing certain tasks with family.

I also believe the whole gene score thing can be improved this way. Maybe instead of having a punishment for players having their immediate family die young we can have a system that only rewards players for having long living family and doesn't punish if any of them die young.

#25 2020-01-30 16:25:49

Kinrany

It's easy to forget, but nowhere in the "a game of parenting and civilization building" does it say that parenting or civilization building is supposed to be successful or pretty!

Other than that, I agree

Board footer