One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2020-01-20 22:20:12

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: Jason's Pattern update has accidentally made Curved Rails viable

Oh, I see the problem....

I need to arrange the orders of the different patterns so that they CROSS properly.  One pattern needs to be ABCABCABC, and the other pattern needs to be AAABBBCCC

Sheesh, I can't imagine keeping all of this straight for all those lists...

#27 2020-01-20 22:23:19

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yes, this fixes the problem that I was having.

I'll check this in for now, and try tackling the full monty tomorrow and see if I can keep my sanity.

#28 2020-01-20 22:59:25

Wuatduhf

Thank you for messaging me about it, I'm sorry I didn't get back to you in time to check over what'd happened! smile

It looks like you saw what I ran into though, and yeah, it's a PITA to keep track of. I had to spend a good hour or two on that excel sheet figuring out EXACTLY what each step would look like, since I had no idea at first how the railroad transitions actually processed!

But yeah, once you got one down, the rest are pretty EZPZ to implement. I'm hype for seeing those curvy tracks soon!

#29 2020-01-21 02:00:20

pein

that sounds nice

but to make mine carts and rails viable we would need some buffs:

-carts shouldn't break so easy or more springs per iron
-more storage per mine cart, makes sense since it's so slow, but should be sturdy since is made of iron partly and mining resources weight a lot generally
-more function, to make It better than carts or at least useful for something else
-that could be done with auto loading/unloading: the target area would load filtered resources from the start and unload to the end. that could be used for firewood, bones, etc.
-levers at chosen locations which redirect or stop the cart. that would help on partial stripping of resources further away, or to make system that can be used differently than it was built, extend it, stop cart rom being broken by temporarily blocking an open exit, switch directions based on where you need resources

the transport could be like the planes now, except it would need an underground location, a mine shaft, then a rail would go there, a train could transport you to other locations with train
it could be other requirements too, like  upgrading the range, each iron would extend range with 6
then it would be like a metro rail with choosable exits, no need animation, just load screen onto the target area

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#30 2020-01-21 14:20:16

Jamie

pein wrote:

that sounds nice

-more storage per mine cart, makes sense since it's so slow, but should be sturdy since is made of iron partly and mining resources weight a lot generally
-more function, to make It better than carts or at least useful for something else
-that could be done with auto loading/unloading: the target area would load filtered resources from the start and unload to the end. that could be used for firewood, bones, etc.
-levers at chosen locations which redirect or stop the cart. that would help on partial stripping of resources further away, or to make system that can be used differently than it was built, extend it, stop cart rom being broken by temporarily blocking an open exit, switch directions based on where you need resources

the transport could be like the planes now, except it would need an underground location, a mine shaft, then a rail would go there, a train could transport you to other locations with train
it could be other requirements too, like  upgrading the range, each iron would extend range with 6
then it would be like a metro rail with choosable exits, no need animation, just load screen onto the target area

Or how about this, Train stops act like landing pads but needs to be connected by tracks.

#31 2020-01-21 23:59:01

SirCaio

Jamie wrote:
pein wrote:

that sounds nice

Or how about this, Train stops act like landing pads but needs to be connected by tracks.

I like this! It's abstract and fits right in with the plane mechanics. We don't need an actual train, just the engine and some space for cargo. The travelling is represented by the loading screen, stops act like landing strips and, just like with the plane, you could place a waystone pointing to a certain station to always make sure you stop there, blocking random "troll stations". No waystone - you stop at the nearest station, no station - you stop at the track end, and no end, well ... then the locomotive derails.

#32 2020-01-22 20:13:34

pein

Jamie wrote:

you can't really do that, cause you need a long distance train, I said six iron per tile since you would need that amount of resource anyway, but this way would be a bit more  convenient

just a simple hole like a bear cave, and a short track to it, then make the Locomotive, engine level difficulty
the upgrades would allow it to go further

instead of random locations, it would travel to a chosen one, just select the ID from a list, could give automatically an id like 001, and a signpost, you would need to put the letters, that would be a label for a station like "007 Noobland"

I guess transport could also work

the price could be a few baskets of charcoals so people don't abuse it, like moving a whole family or all the water from a town

and a simple animation, even off screen gif that you enter underground and exit other side

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#33 2020-01-23 20:47:56

FulmenTheFinn

@OP: Looks like your thread got noticed, well done.

Eve Whiskey, i.e. "Whisler".

Add zoom and hotkeys to the base game (see Hetuw mod) to improve the popularity of the game.

Board footer