One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-15 20:53:31

MrsDuckGirl

I got bored so I made tutorials

One about smithing and one about yummy pies.

Enjoy ! (or not).

I'm still bored but at least I learned how to edit videos.

#2 2020-01-16 12:27:24

MrsDuckGirl

Re: I got bored so I made tutorials

Especially for DestinyCall (and all other milkweed farmers) : How to mass farm milkweed
Don't waste town ressources and live a peacefull life.

#3 2020-01-16 16:22:28

Mekkie

Ty for tutorials, but in future, please try to make them without zoom mod?  Youtube videos are hard enough to see when you're not the size of a fruit fly xD

#4 2020-01-16 16:24:46

DestinyCall

MrsDuckGirl wrote:

Especially for DestinyCall (and all other milkweed farmers) : How to mass farm milkweed
Don't waste town ressources and live a peacefull life.

Trust me, I could write my own tutorial on milkweed.

#5 2020-01-16 17:22:50

DestinyCall

cordy wrote:

Since soil is so plentiful in the wild, IMHO you should till three soil piles for the milkweed farmers.

[Only for out of town milkweed farming.]

Soil is plentiful in the green, but each pit is finite.   Sometimes RNG is not favorable and you don't have that much dirt close to the ponds.   You should choose your approach based on available resources.

If you are short on tools, you can waste soil by using full piles.   It saves a little prep time and tool-uses, especially if there are a bunch of dirt piles near an ample source of natural water.

But if your town has plenty of iron for tool-making or you are deep enough in the wilds where you can find plenty of skewers for free tilling, you can stretch a single soil pile three times further by spreading out the dirt.   And stretch it further still by bringing along a shovel and digging the empty soil pit.

#6 2020-01-16 18:14:43

Mekkie

cordy wrote:

Have you watched the tutorial?

She kept making milkweed then stone hoes with the rope... big_smile

To be fair, the tool system is so RNG dependant i've actually had on multiple occasions stone hoes that last longer than iron ones.  As long as she gets more than a rope's worth from that stone hoe its technically profit without having to run back to a smith or pluck all the saplings in the area. xD

Poor stone hoes get a bad rap sad

#7 2020-01-17 00:50:22

DestinyCall

Yeah, I wish Jason would fix the RNG on tools to be more logical.   The range of potential uses is pretty ridiculous for the steel hoe, so if you have bad luck, you can get badly burned by RNG.   Stone hoe is decent, although rope is usually too rare to justify using them over other options

If anyone is curious, the sapling skewer has 4 charges and a 50% chance to use up a charge each time it is used.   On average, you will get about seven uses, but you might get very unlucky and it breaks after four uses OR very lucky and it just keeps going, row after row, without using any charges.   I've heard of skewers tilling more than twenty times without breaking in very rare cases. 

The stone hoe has 5 charges and a 20% change to use a charge each time it is used.   On average, this means 21 uses for it breaks, but if you are very unlucky, it could break after the fifth use.   If you are farming milkweed, you need four rows of milkweed to make one rope.  If you are tilling 3 dirt, you should get around 5 ropes before the hoe breaks,  but you might get just one rope, if RNG hates you.    However, if you double-till the soil, you will average 2 to 3 ropes per stone hoe and run the risk of breaking your hoe before you have prepped enough soil to make even one rope.   If you are farming with stone hoes, prioritizing tool usage is a good idea.   You still might get lucky and get a ton of uses before the tool breaks, but double-tilling will really cut into your profit margin and make milkweed farming feel even more tedious and pointless.

If you use skewers, you will average around one to two ropes for each skewer.   If you single-till, you are guaranteed one rope, bare minimum.  If you double-till get enough uses to make one rope, but sometimes, you will fall short.   You will burn through skewers very fast, especially if you double-till.  However, skewers are wild harvested, so the only cost is the time to find them.   If you are in a large biome with plenty of skewers, they are super handy.

Steel hoes have the same number of charges (five)  as the stone hoe, but only an 8% chance to use up a charge with each use.   This means that on average, you should get twice as many uses before the tool breaks (51 uses on average) ... BUT if you are super unlucky, the tool will break after just five(!) uses, no better than the stone hoe.   I can personally attest to this happening to me once after I forged a brand new hoe ... and I was even farming milkweed at the time.  With a steel hoe, you will average 12 to 13 ropes per iron, if you single-till, and around six ropes per iron, if you double-till.   

There is always a trade-off, regardless of the tools and methods used when farming.    Personally, I prefer steel hoes for the ease of use, but don't be afraid to use skewers or stone hoes.   Be mindful of tool uses.    Tools are valuable and frequently in short supply.   Most villages are in constant need of more shovels and hoes.   

I really miss being able to use two soil for deep rows.   It made the choice between tool usage vs soil usage much easier to decide, since using two piles to make a deep row was a nice compromise that reduced iron wastage at the cost of soil and a little extra time to spread everything out into piles.   Using three times as much soil OR using twice as many tool uses and extra time to spread the piles is a harder choice, especially when you take into account the amount of extra work involved in producing compost.   Soil can be generated endlessly, but it isn't free.  It costs time, labor, water, and even iron to produce compost.  In contrast, an iron hoe can be replaced, as long as your village has access to a decent supply of iron.    Since upper tier tech is the biggest iron sink in the game and most villages can't even touch most of the upper end of the tech tree, the majority of villages are sitting on a lot of extra iron now.   Plus, limited tool slots discourage players from smithing unless they really want something badly, which means fewer people are smithing random stuff and a lot of the iron is just sitting around, waiting to be used.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2020-01-17 05:25:44)

#8 2020-01-17 08:48:08

MrsDuckGirl

Mekkie wrote:

Ty for tutorials, but in future, please try to make them without zoom mod?  Youtube videos are hard enough to see when you're not the size of a fruit fly xD

I hear you Mekkie, I'll try to, however I'm very used to zoom mod and close view makes me want to throw up.

DestinyCall wrote:

Trust me, I could write my own tutorial on milkweed.

I don't doubt about this but you sounded so desperated about farming milkweed I wanted to cheer you up showing it can be not that frustrating, as long as you don't have to make compost (because filling tons of bowls with berries is really annoying). Also, if you're farming milkweed for a personnal project, it can be even more irritating when random people harvest your production under your nose, to make an n-th bow or arrow.

It's not THE way to do, it's one way to do. I did that several times on low-pop server, fields of milkweed and skewers, and that's still my favorite way, except that I use steel hoes. The purpose was more to show a way to farm without relying on town for tools : be an independant farmer !

About the quantity of soil... I didn't do math but my woman intuition tells me it's better to use only one unit of soil : tools break whenever they want and mostly when you don't want them to. I tilled hundreds of rows (yes, I exagerate a bit but really, sometimes I till rows just to break the hoe and recycle steel but the hoe won't break) as I tilled barely ten rows and the hoe broke. One argument to use only one unit could be the more soil you use, the less you have near your town, the further you have to go to find new pits. Best was when we could till two units of soil, but RIP this.
Also, I would advice to not use skewers too much (except in young towns) : 1-they break very fast, it's frutrating, 2-people use them to make new arrows (because they don't find them behind trees), 3-you need them for latex, tomatoes and cook on coals, 4-you need them for letters.

Here is how to farm from scratch and how to make compost.
Now I'm bored with tutorials.

#9 2020-01-17 09:21:45

DestinyCall

MrsDuckGirl wrote:

I don't doubt about this but you sounded so desperate about farming milkweed I wanted to cheer you up showing it can be not that frustrating, as long as you don't have to make compost (because filling tons of bowls with berries is really annoying). Also, if you're farming milkweed for a personal project, it can be even more irritating when random people harvest your production under your nose, to make an n-th bow or arrow.

I appreciate the kind thoughts.  smile     I really do hate milkweed farming, but it has more to do with how many times I've had to do it and how unsatisfying I find the harvest.   Farming outside of town using ponds and wild dirt is definitely the way to go.  Even more so now that water in towns is so scarce.     It is almost relaxing to be an independent milkweed farmer, making ropes for your village.    During the Rift, I would head outside of town and start farming milkweed at a nearby spring when I was born into an early town at the start of a new wipe.   The extra ropes would help to get carts and buckets available much faster, so the village could thrive.   i was very upset when Jason added tap-out distance and dry springs because I really liked being able to easily make a milkweed farm that wasn't too far from the main village, while still being far enough to discourage petty theft.   

I hold out hope that someday milkweed will get a much needed production boost so it won't be the most tedious crop in the game forever.

MrsDuckGirl wrote:

Also, I would advice to not use skewers too much (except in young towns) : 1-they break very fast, it's frutrating, 2-people use them to make new arrows (because they don't find them behind trees), 3-you need them for latex, tomatoes and cook on coals, 4-you need them for letters.

Fun fact - skewers are farmable.   It's a good idea to save a couple of saplings near town to take cuttings from.  Start a sapling farm to help people who need skewers for various skewer-related tasks. 

Domestic saplings make "weak skewer" so they break immediately if used for farming purposes.   They are best used for the various other things that need a skewer, but don't break weak skewers.   Once you have some domestic saplings growing, you can use the wild saplings for farming milkweed without shame or concern that you are driving saplings to extinction near your town.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2020-01-17 09:36:05)

#10 2020-01-17 21:38:41

Morti

MrsDuckGirl wrote:

Now I'm bored with tutorials.

I encourage you, to continue making these.

#11 2020-01-18 12:00:49

DarkDrak

You aren't getting enough credit. Thank you for making these guides: OHOL could definetly use more of them. I found the farming one to be especially neat and almost complete (exept for grapes, but begginers shouldnt be farming grapes anyways)

Youtube guide to Oil and Kerosene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKSZHPiUK6A
Youtube guide to Diesel Engine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sMX_GlwgbA&t=5s

World is not black and white

#12 2020-01-18 15:21:14

sigmen4020

DarkDrak wrote:

You aren't getting enough credit. Thank you for making these guides: OHOL could definetly use more of them. I found the farming one to be especially neat and almost complete (exept for grapes, but begginers shouldnt be farming grapes anyways)

No one should probably plant grapes anymore period. It wasn’t that noticeable but Jason nerfed wine a lot by removing the food bonus from it in one of the recent updates. Now without the food bonus, one glass of wine only restores one pip.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2020-01-18 15:22:12)

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#13 2020-01-18 15:49:21

DarkDrak

sigmen4020 wrote:

No one should probably plant grapes anymore period. It wasn’t that noticeable but Jason nerfed wine a lot by removing the food bonus from it in one of the recent updates. Now without the food bonus, one glass of wine only restores one pip.

But that's the classiest pip that you can gain cool

Jokes aside, yeah, now even being a berrymuncher is by far superior to being an alcoholic.

Youtube guide to Oil and Kerosene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKSZHPiUK6A
Youtube guide to Diesel Engine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sMX_GlwgbA&t=5s

World is not black and white

#14 2020-01-18 15:57:59

StrongForce

sigmen4020 wrote:

No one should probably plant grapes anymore period.

If you are able to make the copper wire your town has no resource shortage at all.
The biggest risk for that town is for players to be bored. So why not be the town drunk.

Spamming grapes is bad tho

Baby dance!!

#15 2020-01-18 18:15:17

Kirk

These are great! I just bought the game for my friend and he was asking for tutorials like this. Thank you:)

P.S. I made one like this for people to learn smithing inside the tutorial area. Check out my tag line big_smile

Check out my blacksmith/crafting tutorial : https://youtu.be/LiLjH4HIFSs

Board footer