One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-14 05:37:11

schmloo

Alternate tech routes: Water Distillation

I’ll clarify first that I haven’t looked through the forums properly in quite a while, so if I reciprocate anything I apologise. I also don’t expect anything to come of this, it’s just a thread for brainstorming different lines of tech progression up to diesel wells.

Currently, the progression of towns beyond deep well tech requires 2 set races, black and brown. Beyond this, gingers are required for constant maintenance through tapping and harvesting crude oil, and white people are a luxury in any town for translation. This feels very linear and doesn’t reward any innovativeness, and instead requires people with good knowledge to (again) carry the tech progression.

So beyond deep well tech, it’d be nice to give other mixed-race towns a chance without the need for a single recipe of races. One example would be water distillation, for black/ginger-mixed towns. This could also open up an opportunity for more glass-working content (that could be used in more advanced chemistry later on, but I’ve deviated) which has been really nice to see in all honesty after all the ups and downs the game has been through. This idea would however be a dead-end branch of water tech that is unrelated to well-tech, which is a common way of identifying a town’s progress, and still requires rubber to be made. Maybe water distillation yields even less water in comparison to a Newcomen pump, so to not make it overpowered? Maybe the process returns a bottle of salt, which needs to be cleaned out before another round of distillation?

Insert OHOL-related signature here

#2 2020-01-15 00:25:29

Villas

Re: Alternate tech routes: Water Distillation

That’s cool, I think alternative tech trees should be a thing in this game. It would generate a lot of salt though, we would need more recipes such as Beef Jerky (Carne Seca in Portuguese), it’s a traditional dish here in Brazil, we basically use salt to dry meat.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerky

#3 2020-01-15 18:26:07

schmloo

Re: Alternate tech routes: Water Distillation

Yeah, in terms of tech lots of things are very linear, there’s only one way of doing certain things. I’d have given compost as an example but cabbage is compostable now, so instead I’ll use the use of adobe in cooking and smithing.

More food is always a nice thing to had as it keeps the game flavourful (ayy), since everything basically revolves around food. Salted meats would be really nice honestly, especially with the ability to butcher cows.

Insert OHOL-related signature here

Board footer