One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-10 19:10:39

karltown_veteran

It appears Jason has ran out of ideas

WTH is with these weak-ash updates? At least add new characters.

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#2 2020-01-10 19:37:36

ahead

Re: It appears Jason has ran out of ideas

As you know, one doesn't get water out of a sinking ship with a bucket while there are still leaks to be fixed.
At least that's in my opinion.
I appreciate these updates, he's fixed the major in his vision problems like the lack of interactions between families, by testing the waters with the rift and then adding a permanents solution, the system we have now.
He's currently patching up the remaining problems.
Your statement is simply unreasonable.
These updates take just as much if not more works than adding more content to the game.
According to him
Don't forget that he's a lone developer handling everything by himself.

Sorry, nothing

#3 2020-01-10 19:52:40

The_Anabaptist

I for one appreciate bug fixes.  Maybe it has to do with the fact that I've been dealing with vendors at work for the last quarter who haven't been fixing the ones in their products.  Nothing like a kernel fault a day that may or may not bring down the internet when the proxy server fails upon reboot.

The_Anabaptist

#4 2020-01-10 20:15:29

Punkypal

I also most annoyed when instead of asking Jason to keep fixing bugs, they want him instead to code something in that will make the game harder, but in a less fun way.

"Hey Jason, instead of doing major bug fixes, could you introduce allergies? And everyone might have a food allergy, except you don't know what it is, and if you eat that particular type of food you swell up like a balloon and then die. Mmmmmkay? Tks bye!"

Daily Updated Map of Player Structures: https://bit.ly/2UrfOQ9
Link to Many Beginner Guides: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNp6g7 … xcw/videos
Composting Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmgyl9evfhw
Diesel Engine Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sMX_GlwgbA

#5 2020-01-10 20:20:37

Punkypal

I also am glad for the fixes. I actually came back and played a little yesterday after almost three weeks off. For me the game had become unplayable.

Something that really annoys me is when instead of asking Jason to keep fixing bugs, they want him instead to code something in that will make the game harder, but in a less fun way. I'm not say that has happened here, but plenty of such threads abound.

Example: "Hey Jason, instead of doing major bug fixes, could you introduce allergies? And everyone might have a food allergy, except you don't know what it is, and if you eat that particular type of food you swell up like a balloon and then die."

Daily Updated Map of Player Structures: https://bit.ly/2UrfOQ9
Link to Many Beginner Guides: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNp6g7 … xcw/videos
Composting Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmgyl9evfhw
Diesel Engine Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sMX_GlwgbA

#6 2020-01-10 20:24:57

Grim_Arbiter

I support these bug fixes 100%. That list got way to long and we have a cool list of things that came from it. The missing wool colors, the tables being able to contain three things, the rabbit hole moving..ect.

I don't think there's any lack of imagination. Theres no doubt we're gonna get those characters karl, I just dont mind fixing a list that got like 8 pages long first.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#7 2020-01-10 20:26:53

Cantface

Punkypal wrote:

Example: "Hey Jason, instead of doing major bug fixes, could you introduce allergies? And everyone might have a food allergy, except you don't know what it is, and if you eat that particular type of food you swell up like a balloon and then die."

Haha yes, disabilities! that would be so fun. (ಠᴗಠ)

I'd like a fart emote so I could poopoo in people's general direction.

Last edited by Cantface (2020-01-10 20:28:17)

Breasticles

#8 2020-01-11 15:01:24

karltown_veteran

Each to their own, I guess。 Personally I don’t see the need for green shoes or bottled ketchup but that’s just me。

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#9 2020-01-11 15:51:18

Villas

I liked it though, principally the bottle part. It will help a lot the organization, consuming less space and will help the mass production of some items/materials that can be used later. Having a bottle of sugar is much better than a bunch of bowls of sugar on the ground. Also I noticed that now we can put sand bowls in a cart or even sand in a bottle (I would like to be able to put bread on a table though). I’ve never made glass bottles, but now I’m attempted to do so. Next time I play the game and be born as black or in a multicultural town/with desert materials, I’ll try to make some bottles.

#10 2020-01-11 16:55:02

antking:]#

Karltown Jason hasn't run out of ideas he has just run out of bad ideas, just wait....

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#11 2020-01-11 17:49:56

DestinyCall

antking:]# wrote:

Karltown Jason hasn't run out of ideas he has just run out of bad ideas, just wait....

Such optimism .... bad ideas are always much more common than good ones.    I'm sure there are plenty more to come.

Regardless, I'm happy to see Jason working on bug fixes and storage options.   That is a good thing.   Much better than adding more restrictions.   And the new clothing and wall colors are fun and useful additions.

Overall, I am content with recent updates.  These changes have made the game a little better, which is all I ask.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2020-01-11 17:54:49)

#12 2020-01-11 18:01:02

Twisted

Fixes and storage options =  best updates.

#13 2020-01-12 00:12:34

karltown_veteran

Twisted wrote:

Fixes and storage options =  best updates.

Disagree. I feel like they’re sort of nothing burgers. I mean, goose on a stump? Feathers in hats? Big deal.

#14 2020-01-12 01:02:34

Cantface

But our hats are so fancy now tee-hee!
: *:*( )*:*:

Last edited by Cantface (2020-01-12 01:26:45)

Breasticles

#15 2020-01-12 01:24:37

Wuatduhf

karltown_veteran wrote:

WTH is with these weak-ash updates? At least add new characters.

Jason didn't add Grapes just for you to Wine about it.

#16 2020-01-12 01:28:37

Wuatduhf

Also, in my own opinion (and for selfish reasons because I'm also using it), I think Jason should be able to sit down and spend time cleaning up the OHOL engine, and improving the OneLifeEditor.

There's a whoooole lot of stuff boot-strapped in the code to get certain features of the game working. He's literally adding tags of &SpeechIn or +flight or Alcohol into the NAMES of objects, for pete's sake!

That's like trying to reinforce the foundations of a house with Balsa wood. That might do the job in the immediate sense, but it's not a good long-term solution. I think he knows that, but has to do it because of time constraints. Which ties me back to my argument above, Jason should give himself time to improve the Engine+Editor.

Last edited by Wuatduhf (2020-01-12 01:30:45)

#17 2020-01-12 01:58:57

Jojigirl

Wuatduhf wrote:

Ahaha Clever! wink

#18 2020-01-12 15:49:38

karltown_veteran

Wuatduhf wrote:

Hehehehehe

#19 2020-01-12 16:23:10

Booklat1

Wuatduhf wrote:

Also, in my own opinion (and for selfish reasons because I'm also using it), I think Jason should be able to sit down and spend time cleaning up the OHOL engine, and improving the OneLifeEditor.

There's a whoooole lot of stuff boot-strapped in the code to get certain features of the game working. He's literally adding tags of &SpeechIn or +flight or Alcohol into the NAMES of objects, for pete's sake!

That's like trying to reinforce the foundations of a house with Balsa wood. That might do the job in the immediate sense, but it's not a good long-term solution. I think he knows that, but has to do it because of time constraints. Which ties me back to my argument above, Jason should give himself time to improve the Engine+Editor.

This is, along with ensuring new player experience to be smooth, is probably the most important thing that ohol needs.
More than balancing, more than making unused parts of the techtree relevant, more than making the overall feel of the game according to one's ideal.

There's so much features we ask for and the answer is "well, that'd take a lot of work in this engine". I think before we can think about making houses useful, professions viable, families matter, we have to work on the actual physics/rules/environment of the game on its most fundamental level.

If a rift can't be an ocean because the engine is lacking we end up also lacking the thousands of possiblities that could develop from such mechanic. If we don't build because somehow we just can't get heat calculation right and people dont wanna be enclosed for no benefit we also have a problem. If Jason has to redesign wells a bunch of times while giving off ideas that would be very complex in execution and non-intuitive just because we can't properly count pump depletion and have it transition at the same time, well, its a third problem.

I would love to see jason taking some good two months to cleanup the game. Engine, bugs, unused features, mechanics that were rushed into the game and that could be reworked/rebalanced/straight up removed.

From the end of the pump/oil/plane to the end of the rift development stages of the game we got bombarded with features, some of which Jason managed to fix or even make interesting. But honestly, and this is where my entire comment ties with the OP, I'd rather have Jason take time developing few ideas than the absolute madness that went when Jason came with something out of nowhere and started forcing it into a playerbase not prepared.
War mechanics, rift, genetic score, property fences, skills/family specialties all had their problems and honestly, still do. I wont talk about skills and specialties because i've barely played the game after these but genetic scores were unintuitive, failed heavily at first as hereditary factors and gave no benefit whatsoever to players; fences were unwanted by a vocal majority of players, spammable, very useful for griefing, unpractical to use for the intended purposes, allowed for skipping parts of the techtree when first obtaining animals/rushing early game; War and new fight mechanics never worked, either because swords were mass murder tools in the hands of single individuals or because the restrictions for war made it either too easy to trigger or too unnaturally gamey (you could bow and stab the other family but dont you dare using a sword); I liked the rift but wont talk about here, its already a long post.

Of these I think the only real benefits are the elder mechanic that developed due to fences and wars, slightly more awareness of jasons part on the bottlenecks of resource production/consumption in the game due to the rift, buff to female births when civs are dying (gamey but necessary because drift is a bitch in low populations). These are all incredibly good developments but their cost was having the game packed with unpractical mechanics that very few people actually enjoy and rarely ever work for jason's intent (breeding genuine player interaction).

#20 2020-01-12 18:47:03

Villas

Wuatduhf wrote:

I know that feeling. I’m a programmer, and I’m also working on a big project, one year and a half working on it, and sometimes I spend a week just cleaning the code, organizing stuff, renaming variables/functions and whatnot. That helps a lot to increase the speed of future bug fixings and content creation. So I agree he should give a time to do that, we wouldn’t receive new content, but his work will be easier on the next updates.

#21 2020-01-13 06:54:03

Mekkie

I like bug fixes, but I won't be satisfied until racial specializations die in a fire.  (At least in their current state)

Board footer