One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-07 04:34:05

jord1990

Regarding the current issues being reported.

Yes, I have read all of your reports regarding certain posts being necroed. However jason has never made any explicit rules for the forum(Other than be nice, and don't be disruptive on purpose)

So where does this leave us? Well you could put the necroing in with being disruptive. But then again the posts I read were about the topic at hand(In contrary to the many dissatisfied replies to the necro post) I can not call that disruptive enough to step in and delete the post. Keep in mind that we have been instructed to keep a very light touch.

This is why I decided to let Jason deal with it should he deem it disruptive enough himself. I don't speak to Jason any more than you guys/girls do. We were given minimal instruction and were then left to fend for ourselves, Trying to decipher when to take what action. If you feel this necroing is a real issue I'd suggest you email Jason. Because I cannot justify deleting those kinds of post without his instruction.

#2 2020-01-07 05:06:41

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Re: Regarding the current issues being reported.

Hopefully the necro complaining threads will go away now too. They're just as bad as the necroing

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#3 2020-01-07 08:39:51

Mekkie

He says don't be disruptive on purpose.. technically necroing is disruptive.  It distracts us from actual relevant threads and wastes our time reading them before realizing they are irrelevant.

#4 2020-01-07 11:38:50

Spoonwood

Mekkie wrote:

He says don't be disruptive on purpose.. technically necroing is disruptive.  It distracts us from actual relevant threads and wastes our time reading them before realizing they are irrelevant.

You've assumed, or would have to assume for your argument to work, that everything in an arbitrary necroed thread would be irrelevant.  There exist things from long ago that still apply, OR ideas/systems from long ago might inspire better ideas, or might work better than current ideas.  The forums aren't only about discussing what the game currently is after all.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#5 2020-01-07 13:46:19

Mekkie

DiscardedSlinky wrote:

Hopefully the necro complaining threads will go away now too. They're just as bad as the necroing

If the necroing stops, so do the threads complaining about it.  Shouldn't be so complicated, but alas.

#6 2020-01-07 19:34:42

Kinrany

Spoonwood wrote:

You've assumed, or would have to assume for your argument to work, that everything in an arbitrary necroed thread would be irrelevant.

Nope

#7 2020-01-07 19:46:42

Dodge

Spoonwood wrote:
Mekkie wrote:

You've assumed, or would have to assume for your argument to work, that everything in an arbitrary necroed thread would be irrelevant.  There exist things from long ago that still apply, OR ideas/systems from long ago might inspire better ideas, or might work better than current ideas.  The forums aren't only about discussing what the game currently is after all.

Just make new posts how hard is that?, nobody (special note for Spoonwood in this case nobody doesn't mean literally nobody but means the majority, in this sentence : "the majority doesn't like to read old stuff") likes to read old stuff it's like reading an old newspaper from 10 years ago only detectives in movies do that...

#8 2020-01-07 20:25:37

Spoonwood

Dodge wrote:

Just make new posts how hard is that?

No thanks.  I'll do as see fit.  You can check dates.

Dodge expresses rather well a bias towards what gets viewed as news.  New information isn't always better than old information.  New suggestions aren't always better than old suggestions.  New toys aren't always better than old toys.  And so on.

Danish Clinch.

#9 2020-01-07 22:38:01

StrongForce

Spoon don't you get tired of explaining it over and over?
You realy have too much time.

Baby dance!!

#10 2020-01-07 22:41:24

Kinrany

Spoonwood wrote:

Dodge expresses rather well a bias towards what gets viewed as news.  New information isn't always better than old information.  New suggestions aren't always better than old suggestions.  New toys aren't always better than old toys.  And so on.

Wtf? "News" is by definition information about current events.

#11 2020-01-07 23:15:32

DestinyCall

Kinrany wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

Wtf? "News" is by definition information about current events.

Yes, but if you only read the NEWSpaper for the funnies, does it matter if the paper is eight months old?   The jokes are still funny.   Unless you already read the comics eight months ago.  Then the joke is on you!

#12 2020-01-07 23:27:40

Lum

If people stopped replying to a post, it's probably because people generally agree that there is no use discussing the issue further. Necroing those posts is thus useless and disruptive, as people are not actually interested in continuing the conversation except for one lone person. They should make a new post to recontextualize it to the current situation. That's all.

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#13 2020-01-07 23:30:30

Spoonwood

The news is just an example of something new.  New toys and such were just other examples of new things.  There's no reason to suppose that new information ends up any different than anything else new.  There's often communication problems about new information.  A good example probably comes as the incompleteness theorems of Kurt Goedel.  That sort of news caused all sorts of confusion and bad information to people who didn't understand it.

On top of that, the comments I've made did often make for a new perspective on the topic.  There can be and sometimes is news about old topics, because not everything got understood or talked about at the time that it happened.

Danish Clinch.

#14 2020-01-07 23:34:26

Spoonwood

Lum wrote:

If people stopped replying to a post, it's probably because people generally agree that there is no use discussing the issue further.

Kinrany made this post after I necroed a thread: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=8722 specifically saying:

Kinrany wrote:

Spoonwood resurrected an old thread, and I wrote a long comment before noticing that. But the problem is still here, and I think I found its root.

DestincyCall said this in #74 here after I necroed the thread: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … d=5824&p=3

DestinyCall wrote:

Re-reading this thread makes me realize that the recent update really should change so you automatically follow your MOTHER, not your mother's leader.

It would work thematically (your interactions are with your mother and you can't pick a different leader until you are an adult)  and it provides a real in-game reason for mothers to care about their own children more than other people's kids.    By treating your kids properly and proving that you can be trusted, they might continue to follow you as an adult.   If your daughters follow you, then their children will become your subordinates as well, raising your rank.    If your daughters hate you, you will not rise up the hierarchy, because they will follow themselves or choose someone else when they get older.

It also helps to spread out the hierarchy so it doesn't get too "flat" with everyone under the same leader and naturally elevates the village elders into a position of authority over time, as more children are born in the village.   It creates a natural matriarchy, with the oldest women rising toward the top of the hierarchy.  But only if they have been successful mothers who raised other players to also be good mothers.   A woman who has no children would gain no automatic followers.   A bad mother would lose the respect of her children and they would quickly leave her following.   A low ranked old woman was either infertile ... or a really shitty mom.   Men would naturally rank lower than women.   No surprise - this is an OHOL village, after all.   Reproductive power is the strongest force.

However, a man (or infertile woman) could rise up the ranks by gathering his own following or proving his worth through good deeds.  It would be harder to achieve a high rank for a man, because you wouldn't get any "free" followers just by popping out sky babies.   But you also have more time to focus on productive work and political campaigns.   In fact, if you focus your efforts on getting young WOMEN to follow you, then you will gain the benefit of their reproductive status AND a vested interest in their reproductive success.  Their children become your subordinates too.

I think this would be a small but powerful change.    Everyone should automatically follow their MOTHER.  Not their mother's leader.   The first leader is the Eve.

Danish Clinch.

#15 2020-01-07 23:38:46

Grim_Arbiter

1275937249093s.jpg

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#16 2020-01-08 01:37:42

Kinrany

Maybe we should move to Reddit. Karma works okay for self-policing.

Kinrany made this post after I necroed a thread: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=8722 specifically saying:

I also agree that there was no use discussing the issue in that thread. That's why I started a new topic instead of posting in the old thread. Duh.

But even if this wasn't a bad example, you can't use unintended consequences to justify your actions.

#17 2020-01-08 08:31:59

Dodge

Spoonwood wrote:
Dodge wrote:

Do you usually read the newspaper/wathever news outlet from the last month or the one from the current day?

Maybe the news from last week was "better" but does it mean you read it over the newer one?

#18 2020-01-08 08:35:06

sigmen4020

Dodge wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:
Dodge wrote:

Do you usually read the newspaper/wathever news outlet from the last month or the one from the current day?

Maybe the news from last week was "better" but does it mean you read it over the newer one?

Imagine news outlets sending out an old newspaper with one new vaguely related article lol.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#19 2020-01-08 09:40:50

Mekkie

Kinrany wrote:

Maybe we should move to Reddit. Karma works okay for self-policing.

I also agree that there was no use discussing the issue in that thread. That's why I started a new topic instead of posting in the old thread. Duh.

But even if this wasn't a bad example, you can't use unintended consequences to justify your actions.

I agree a move to reddit would be better.  Auto locked topics and karma system would be nice. 

Spoonwood, I like you.. but you gotta stop.  It has gotten to the point where I don't even open threads i don't recognize if you are listed as the last post.   I know you wanna help the game, but when you become so notorious for spamming that your topics straight up just don't get read anymore, how much are you *really* helping?

#20 2020-01-08 09:51:50

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Guys just curse him to forums donkey town

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#21 2020-01-08 12:23:31

Spoonwood

Dodge wrote:

I don't usually go searching for news concerning real world events.  Also, I don't really know how old the topic is that the outlet reports is until I read their article.

Dodge wrote:

If there's some topic that I'm interested in, then I'll happily read older news articles rather than current ones, given that the older articles have more relevance.

Danish Clinch.

#22 2020-01-08 12:25:22

Spoonwood

Mekkie wrote:

It has gotten to the point where I don't even open threads i don't recognize if you are listed as the last post.   I know you wanna help the game, but when you become so notorious for spamming that your topics straight up just don't get read anymore, how much are you *really* helping?

You aren't developing the game.  So, I don't understand why you're asking me this.

Danish Clinch.

#23 2020-01-08 12:32:39

Dodge

Spoonwood wrote:
Dodge wrote:

I don't usually go searching for news concerning real world events.  Also, I don't really know how old the topic is that the outlet reports is until I read their article.

Dodge wrote:

If there's some topic that I'm interested in, then I'll happily read older news articles rather than current ones, given that the older articles have more relevance.

We get it you are special, but can you for two seconds put yourself in the shoes of someone else?

#24 2020-01-08 12:49:28

Spoonwood

Dodge wrote:

We get it you are special, but can you for two seconds put yourself in the shoes of someone else?

I use to read YEARS old forums on civfanatics long ago and think I should write something in response after the bump to the older comments.  I mean like 5 or more years old.  I've already been through being on the other end of necroed threads.  Being in that position previous I learned that checking dates made for a good idea.  And I learned that it was my responsibility to check dates.

Additionally, most of the threads I've necroed say something like "Jason,   " not something like "Dodge,   ". 

I also don't think of myself as special, thank you.

Danish Clinch.

#25 2020-01-08 13:02:39

Dodge

Spoonwood wrote:

I use to read YEARS old forums on civfanatics

Spoonwood wrote:

I also don't think of myself as special, thank you.

Board footer