One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2020-01-06 20:51:26

jcwilk

Re: Problem: Cheating to: Jason

Toxolotl wrote:

If zoom mods and others are removed you wont need to ban me, i will leave voluntarily.

That being said features in some of the mods should be highly considered to be added to vanilla. Specifically zoom, age meter, and accurate distances.

Accurate distances would be pretty trivial to mask from the client, not sure why he hasn't done that if he likes it not being in vanilla. Biggest things for me are probably hotkeys and search, I've always hated just using the mouse... Makes it feel like one of those cheap rushed mobile ports where they just replaced touch with the mouse and didn't get around to utilizing the keyboard at all. Search is probably the most cheat-y feature and pretty impossible to prevent but goddamn it's useful

#27 2020-01-07 15:05:10

Dodge

Spoonwood wrote:

You completely missed my point i'm not comparing sales of stardew valley with OHOL, the way the game is played currently feels like stardew valley.

Also how many times do you need to be repeated this, the numbers are going down no matter the update (content, mechanics, fixes etc) but they seem to eventually stagnate at around 40-50 players.

And please dont mention tiny ridiculous spikes in number of players just look at the graph in general...

#28 2020-01-07 15:38:48

Spoonwood

Dodge wrote:

You completely missed my point i'm not comparing sales of stardew valley with OHOL, the way the game is played currently feels like stardew valley.

To Dodge alright.  I don't think OHOL feels like Stardew Valley to major fans of Stardew Valley.  If it did, I expect there would exist a lot more people rating OHOL highly as they do Stardew Valley and more people promoting OHOL.

Dodge wrote:

Also how many times do you need to be repeated this, the numbers are going down no matter the update ...

Yeah, you didn't see any numbers the week after the Rift ended Dodge, and didn't care to read that I had mentioned that either.  I got a glimpse on them via the reflector and saw a significant increase.  You were also the one who wanted to bury his head in the sand about two+ week long upticks last winter.

Dodge wrote:

but they seem to eventually stagnate at around 40-50 players. ...

OMG!  You haven't even checked the numbers since the sale or what the numbers were like last week when many American school students were still on winter break.  It's also a freaking Tuesday morning EST (not even 8:00 PST) right now, and there exist more than 50 players on.

Dodge wrote:

And please dont mention tiny ridiculous spikes in number of players just look at the graph in general

Yeah, so Dodge can bury his head in the sand and not have to face the fact that Jason's beloved finite map concept got shredded with respect to the popularity of the game the week when the numbers went up after The Rift was ended.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#29 2020-01-07 16:10:32

Dodge

Spoonwood wrote:

Yeah, you didn't see any numbers the week after the Rift ended Dodge, and didn't care to read that I had mentioned that either.  I got a glimpse on them via the reflector and saw a significant increase.  You were also the one who wanted to bury his head in the sand about two+ week long upticks last winter.

Right... and now that the rift change has been done where are the numbers at?

Oh they are back at 40-50

So basically the same as the rift days lol

Spoonwood wrote:

OMG!  You haven't even checked the numbers since the sale or what the numbers were like last week when many American school students were still on winter break.  It's also a freaking Tuesday morning EST (not even 8:00 PST) right now, and there exist more than 50 players on.

DUH! When there is a sale the numbers are going up you say?

That's crazyyyy

Same for school breaks...

I'm talking on average here but you seem obsessed to prove your point with numbers even though you are wrong, i get it you personally didn't like some of the updates but look at the average now basically the same as before plus maybe some players that sticked from the previous sale.

#30 2020-01-07 17:12:51

Spoonwood

Dodge wrote:

Right... and now that the rift change has been done where are the numbers at?

Oh they are back at 40-50

I already said that there were not.  There were above that when I checked during my previous comment.  They are above that now at 66 on bs2, 71 on bs2 after the edit and 78 *total*.  That's almost double your 40 number.  I wrote this around 12:00 P. M. EST which is 9:00 A. M. PST.  Kids are back in school and it's the middle of the conventional work week.  Here's my post I was talking about: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=8859  Nothing like 40-50 there.  Pretty much double your 40 during early periods of the morning.

Why bother reading what Dodge has to say?  He's dead set on his story and will even falsify information to suit his purposes.

Dodge wrote:

DUH! When there is a sale the numbers are going up you say?

The sale happened for two days.  It wasn't during winter break for American school students.  It was in mid-November: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=8430.

Dodge wrote:

I'm talking on average here but you seem obsessed to prove your point with numbers even though you are wrong, i get it you personally didn't like some of the updates but look at the average now basically the same as before plus maybe some players that sticked from the previous sale.

They aren't basically the same as during The Rift.  And again, numbers jumped a lot the week after The Rift got ended.  But hey, that's Dodge.  He doesn't care to look at changes in data and wonder what caused them, because it would be too inconvenient for him and would require more sophisticated thinking on his part.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-01-07 17:19:28)

Danish Clinch.

#31 2020-01-07 17:22:11

Dodge

Spoonwood wrote:

Just look at the average, same as before...

Only thing that really changed numbers in the long run was the steam release and the sale, both unrelated to updates in regards to game changes, but i guess you're still salty about the temp change tongue

#32 2020-01-07 17:36:30

fug

Guy who griefs complains about modded clients. I wonder why in the world he'd be upset about them in the first place.

R8ot3I4.png

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#33 2020-01-07 18:06:25

Spoonwood

Dodge wrote:

Just look at the average, same as before...

Yeah, Dodge has access to the average numbers in the past few weeks, my butt.  Guy who makes stuff also up has facts is what Dodge expects you to believe. This is preposterous. 

On top of this, take a look at the steam charts: https://steamcharts.com/app/595690#All  The sale was in November remember, and it's January now.  December was green without a sale going on.

Dodge wrote:

Only thing that really changed numbers in the long run was the steam release and the sale, both unrelated to updates in regards to game changes, but i guess you're still salty about the temp change

According to the "logic" of Dodge's position Jason may as well never do updates, since whatever he does, the numbers won't change in the long run.  It's all rather preposterous.

Oh look, he also resorts to trying to bait someone into losing their cool after his fact-free position has gotten exposed as fact-free.

Danish Clinch.

#34 2020-01-07 19:24:04

Dodge

So the sale was in november and steam numbers where red before and green after that, so strange i wonder why...

Oh btw when was the rift change?

Not in november you say, but that means the numbers where still red after the change

Does that mean the chart you just posted proves the opposite of your point, and that you are wrong about previous updates having a long term impact on player numbers?

Seems like it

Also if you think two seconds you will understand that the numbers are still green because people bought it during the sale and are playing now...

But maybe you have some other crazy theory about why the numbers are still green, like the halloween update is what changed everything lol

Im not saying that updates cant affect how many players are playing the game, but if you look overall over the 2 years you will see the numbers going steadily down then stagnate around a certain number.

Which means there is still reasons players dont stick and go to another game.

My bet is on unintuitivity and the time investment needed to really play the game (or maybe because most players seem busy doing their own thing), but this could be partially solved if player interaction had a main place in the game, this way helping each other to craft stuff would be an organic part of the game and newbies wouldn't need to specially ask if you can show them to do this or that.

Since everyone would ask each other to do stuff not just noobs.

Last edited by Dodge (2020-01-07 19:24:49)

#35 2020-01-07 20:13:06

Spoonwood

Oh look Dodge is still saying stuff.

I'm going to say it again.  The numbers went up AFTER The Rift ended and BEFORE the sale occurred.  BEFORE race restrictions got put into place.  I saw it on the reflector.  It wasn't just one time, but a consistent pattern.  Thaulos's excellent video about The Rift gets that right: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXeOufAnx1A

The Rift DID end in November.  There was an announcement on November 6, 2019: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=8320  There's a formal announcement of that update happening in a few hours or slightly after it on November 8, 2019: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=8344

The sale was on November 19, 2019: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=8430

Grand Arc happened at the end of July.  The steam numbers tanked by 18% in August.  Jason's image (https://i.imgur.com/djVG3FJ.png) matches that in rough outline.  The redline drops or remains the same with a small, very small uptick in late September.  Life tokens had a similar correlative graph with almost 100% decline or stagnation.  There were significantly long positive upticks in the player count during before the temperature overhaul.  Sure that doesn't exist now, but there also exists an overflow mechanic for adults and to a less extent children as well as the server bonus being +4 now than +2 as existed during the temperature overhaul.  So in terms of survivability there exists *some* similarities going on now as existed under the pre-temperature overhaul system.

Dodge actually says something like this about the numbers in December:

Dodge wrote:

Also if you think two seconds you will understand that the numbers are still green because people bought it during the sale and are playing now...

So there's player retention happening now.  But, there wasn't player retention happening during The Rift, since it's a near continuous decline.

Dodge wrote:

Im not saying that updates cant affect how many players are playing the game, but if you look overall over the 2 years you will see the numbers going steadily down then stagnate around a certain number.

I have seen no such thing.  There are plenty of peaks and valleys in the graph that Jason provided.  There were even nearly month long upticks from July to August of 2018, mid December of 2018 to January of 2019, and from the beginning of February of 2019 to almost the end of February 2019.  What got added around that time?  The end of June of 2018 had emergency medicine: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2270, then a tutorial: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2425, and something about curses: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=2620  Apparently, changes which made the game more into an easier to play civilization builder had a positive effect.

The period from December of '08 to mid February of '09 was a period preceded by or happening during many content additions, oil rigs, cars, planes, and radios.  Though some of those worked as little more than in-game toys, it's hard to deny that they clearly would get seen as something about civilization building.  And it wasn't a forced sort of civilization building as the temperature overhaul tried to implement and failed rather hard at implementing, it was more like "here... here's something you might find neat" even though it had its flaws.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-01-07 20:54:49)

Danish Clinch.

#36 2020-01-08 08:41:15

Dodge

Spoonwood wrote:

Come on Spoon look at your own numbers:

October 2019    46.3    -2.0    -4.06%    76
September 2019    48.2    -0.1    -0.19%    84
August 2019    48.3    -10.8    -18.21%    82
July 2019    59.1    -3.5    -5.66%    98
June 2019    62.6    -18.2    -22.50%    103

That's about the months when the rift ended right?

Do you see the average?

Is it going up or down?

You know what i am going to grant you one thing maybe the current average is not 40-50 anymore (even though it's probably right if you take the AVERAGE of night/day and weekdays/weekends but wathever), maybe it's has been slightly more than that.

But guess what is it due to any changes or updates in the game?

NO it's all due to the SALE that was on STEAM

#37 2020-01-08 09:42:09

Mekkie

How did this thread go from a troll whining about mods to an argument about whether or not ohol is dying?  This is why we can't have nice things, guys.

#38 2020-01-08 16:56:48

Legs

Hey, I'm whining about cheating not mods.

pein's texture swap mod is fine for example, because it's purely cosmetic and doesn't provide any advantage.

Loco Motion

#39 2020-01-08 20:05:10

Spoonwood

Dodge wrote:

Come on Spoon look at your own numbers:

October 2019    46.3    -2.0    -4.06%    76
September 2019    48.2    -0.1    -0.19%    84
August 2019    48.3    -10.8    -18.21%    82
July 2019    59.1    -3.5    -5.66%    98
June 2019    62.6    -18.2    -22.50%    103

That's about the months when the rift ended right?

Either you're trolling or having problems reading.  I already clarified when The Rift ended above.  What you referred to supports The Rift as bad for player population, since it's all red.  And I think this was the first update post on The Rift: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7420  The previous update post was this one: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7286

What was your number?  *looks above* 40-50.  It hit that when The Rift had taken effect, after dropping to it because of The Rift, and didn't move much from that during The Rift period.  And it shouldn't really come as all that surprising with rampant griefing, resources running out making things more difficult on new players, and players feeling justified in their griefing since they had gotten confined, and knew that destroying civilization instead of building it would be likely to lead them to stages they were more interested in playing than the same old towns, and since griefers could network with other griefers easily.

Dodge wrote:

You know what i am going to grant you one thing maybe the current average is not 40-50 anymore (even though it's probably right if you take the AVERAGE of night/day and weekdays/weekends but wathever), maybe it's has been slightly more than that.

This sentence isn't even internally consistent, equivocating in the use of a simple term like 'average'. 

Dodge wrote:

NO it's all due to the SALE that was on STEAM

Dodge contradicted his own claim when he said:

Dodge wrote:

Same for school breaks

Is he trolling or just not able to realize that he doesn't have a consistent position?

And again, numbers went up the week *before* the sale after the black lines got filled in, as I think a prophet once predicted would happen.

Danish Clinch.

#40 2020-01-09 07:57:56

Dodge

Im done, why am i always falling in the old trap of arguing with Spoonwood?

Idk maybe i thought it was possible to reason with him but apparently not since he cant read his own numbers and only sees what he wants to see.

Some people just like arguing for the sake of arguing...

#41 2020-01-09 09:34:21

LunyTerror

I'm fine with mods granting the player to zoom out their camera and let them see their age etc.

But I consider the mods that show you where iron and rare resources are cheating.

I name all my boys Elias and all my girls Eylul. If you get named Elias or Eylul It's me. smile

#42 2020-01-09 09:57:03

D3mon1cblack

if it wasnt for awbz his mod i would have stopped playing ages ago. and yes i consider the highlight enemy/recource thing kinda cheaty hence why im using awbz. but who am i to talk i changed my musquito sprite tongue

im eve groot or eve degroot and if i dont care and spawn next to an item ill call myself eve (itemname)
420 mushroom cultist and proud of it!

#43 2020-01-09 10:31:21

sigmen4020

LunyTerror wrote:

I'm fine with mods granting the player to zoom out their camera and let them see their age etc.

But I consider the mods that show you where iron and rare resources are cheating.

Do you consider using Jason's hint arrows cheating then? Just curious. wink

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2020-01-09 10:32:20)

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#44 2020-01-09 10:42:13

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

I'mma use hetuw and be twice as productive as the rest of you. None of you casuals can stop me. You guys are going to be walking around searching for a needle and thread while I can find it in 2 seconds. Someone walk off with your steel Valve again? Too bad it'll be impossible to find.

Cya nerds

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#45 2020-01-09 13:16:45

Spoonwood

sigmen4020 wrote:
LunyTerror wrote:

I haven't checked, but I would guess that using '/wrought iron' is a way to get arrows to point to iron in the default client.  Maybe even '/iron ore' works?  I would doubt that '/iron' works, since 'iron' isn't the proper name of anything in game?

Danish Clinch.

#46 2020-01-09 13:24:40

sigmen4020

Spoonwood wrote:
sigmen4020 wrote:
LunyTerror wrote:

I haven't checked, but I would guess that using '/wrought iron' is a way to get arrows to point to iron in the default client.  Maybe even '/iron ore' works?  I would doubt that '/iron' works, since 'iron' isn't the proper name of anything in game?

In my experience it doesn't work as consistenty as you would expect. I'm pretty sure what it's supposed to do is locate ingredients to a recipe you are searching for. So for example if you search for /thread milkweed would be highlighted with the arrows. Anyway I don't really know how they specifically work, they've always been confusing to me. But even if it doesn't function as intended, the intent with the feature is still similar the mods where you can search for specific items on the map. So I would say that calling the mods' feature that does kind of the same thing but better cheating to be a stretch.

Last edited by sigmen4020 (2020-01-09 13:27:22)

#47 2020-01-09 14:55:01

Cantface

I'm on laptop so anyone using a mouse has an 'unfair advantage' on everything ESPECIALLY pvp, are you going to try and push for no computers too? No? That sounds ridiculous? Yeah it does.

Breasticles

#48 2020-01-09 15:28:51

Spoonwood

sigmen4020 wrote:

In my experience it doesn't work as consistenty as you would expect. I'm pretty sure what it's supposed to do is locate ingredients to a recipe you are searching for.

I checked.  Using 'wrought iron' if I tab into the 46th entry, I can find iron on the ground in the wild.  It's not terribly practical though, since as soon as you click on a tile with another relevant entry to making wrought iron, such as a juniper tree, you no longer have an arrow pointing to iron ore on the ground.  It doesn't work for 'iron ore' though, since that's not something anyone can craft (an illogical mistake I made earlier, since it's a crafting system not an in-game object system).

Edit: hot iron bloom should work also... not sure how far in.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-01-09 15:50:10)

Danish Clinch.

#49 2020-01-09 16:17:35

sigmen4020

Spoonwood wrote:
sigmen4020 wrote:

In my experience it doesn't work as consistenty as you would expect. I'm pretty sure what it's supposed to do is locate ingredients to a recipe you are searching for.

I checked.  Using 'wrought iron' if I tab into the 46th entry, I can find iron on the ground in the wild.  It's not terribly practical though, since as soon as you click on a tile with another relevant entry to making wrought iron, such as a juniper tree, you no longer have an arrow pointing to iron ore on the ground.  It doesn't work for 'iron ore' though, since that's not something anyone can craft (an illogical mistake I made earlier, since it's a crafting system not an in-game object system).

Edit: hot iron bloom should work also... not sure how far in.

Yeah the system is kinda impractical like that. Picking up items shouldn't stop highlighting the items, that just seems way to confusing and strange to me.

#50 2020-01-09 17:16:56

Spoonwood

sigmen4020 wrote:

Yeah the system is kinda impractical like that. Picking up items shouldn't stop highlighting the items, that just seems way to confusing and strange to me.

I was on a horsecart and just moving around, not even picking anything up.  A mouse click on an item can suffice to stop the arrow pointing to it.  It's not impossible to imagine only clicking on open spots.  But, why would a smart player do that in the badlands using Jason glasses on foot over and over again?  It would leave one vulnerable to wolves (and bears) sneaking up on one before one can even see them, in addition to slowing down movement.

Danish Clinch.

Board footer