One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2020-01-06 03:45:35

Legs

Problem: Cheating to: Jason

Is cheating officially condoned? Will there ever be anticheat measures?

So many players use mods to cheat and it's disgusting. It's unfair and defeats the intended purpose of the game by default.

Either ban it officially or make it an intended mechanic.

Loco Motion

#2 2020-01-06 04:07:54

TheRubyCart

Re: Problem: Cheating to: Jason

Legs wrote:

Is cheating officially condoned? Will there ever be anticheat measures?

So many players use mods to cheat and it's disgusting. It's unfair and defeats the intended purpose of the game by default.

Either ban it officially or make it an intended mechanic.

Says somebody who trolls, your works are funny tho

You are amazing, you are loved, and have a good day to whoever might read this <3

#3 2020-01-06 04:12:42

Legs

Isn't it obvious to ban people that are cheating? They're using external software to provide an unfair advantage. That's cheating. It should warrant a perma-ban.

Either include the mechanics officially or ban the cheaters. This is not a game where modding is harmless.

Loco Motion

#4 2020-01-06 04:17:41

FulmenTheFinn

Lmao. Zoom, hotkeys and name tags should be a part of the base game. Vanilla being so cancerous is the main cause most players quit with only a few hours in, having learned only very basic farming, cooking and smithing, often not even that.

Eve Whiskey, i.e. "Whisler".

Add zoom and hotkeys to the base game (see Hetuw mod) to improve the popularity of the game.

#5 2020-01-06 04:23:28

Legs

In this thread: cheaters should get banned and they cry about it.

I'd like to hear an official opinion from jason.

Loco Motion

#6 2020-01-06 04:52:03

FulmenTheFinn

Legs wrote:

In this thread: cheaters should get banned and they cry about it.

4RlUE7w.png

Add zoom and hotkeys to the base game (see Hetuw mod) to improve the popularity of the game.

#7 2020-01-06 05:06:41

FulmenTheFinn

Then again, what if the OP is being sarcastic and just shitposting?

Futurama-Fry.jpg

#8 2020-01-06 06:29:30

Whatever

jasonrohrer wrote:

BTW, the fact that I made a game or service for which there are 5 different clients is kindof a dream come true, as a network systems architect.

Something interesting:

It is totally possible for a clean-room OHOL client to work, using the protocol, and maybe even display the information in a completely different way.

For example, there could be an ASCII interface (rogue-style), or even a "blind" text-only interface that narrates what's going on and allows you to move and act by typing commands.  Like WALK NORTH 3.

But also, of course, graphical interfaces with totally different presentations.  There could also be graphical skins that replace all the sprites and objects with something else.  I've seen some smaller reskin mods (like for hats, trees, ground textures).  But if someone dug into the animations too, having a DOG LIFE mode for OHOL, where everyone was a dog, and babies were puppies, would be totally possible.

Or an underwater mod where everyone was a fish or a mermaid....

from here: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewt … 420#p77420

the mods are not hurting the game, most people use mods to be more productive, i believe mods are helping the game / making it better.
i think its very cool of jason that he is so open and lets people make mods.

#9 2020-01-06 07:57:30

DestinyCall

FulmenTheFinn wrote:

Then again, what if the OP is being sarcastic and just shitposting?

Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure he is being serious.   

He's also being ridiculous, but I doubt we will be able to change his mind.

#10 2020-01-06 07:59:12

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

This game wouldn't be nearly as popular as it is without zoomout mods. I would've refunded it immediately, and I'm a pretty productive player.

I recently played vanilla and it made me really motion sick. The screen jumps back and forth SO MUCH when you're changing directions walking around town. I hated it. Then i got mauled by a boar I couldn't see.

If you think we have such an advantage why don't you use a mod? Your own "pride" getting in the way? Do you think you're special for not using zoom out? No one cares. Your own ego is getting in the way of you enjoying the game more. You're only putting yourself at a disadvantage by your own choice. We've all made the choice to be more productive with our lives in game instead of spending 5 mins looking for a tool someone wandered to the edge of town with.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#11 2020-01-06 08:47:53

Punkypal

To Legs:

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=5571

jasonrohrer wrote:

To further spell out (3), it means that mods that connect to my service are fine (like the zoom-out mod).

It means that mods that involve separate servers are also fine (like 2HOL), as long as those separate servers only allow players to connect who own access to my official servers.

What you do in private is your business, and outside the bounds of trademark.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=8213

jasonrohrer wrote:

BTW, the fact that I made a game or service for which there are 5 different clients is kindof a dream come true, as a network systems architect.

So basically, nobody playing on one of Jason's servers is cheating. He has intentionally made his servers open to run any client version of his game that a player wants to bring. All you need is the key in there to show you paid him. I have seen him write elsewhere that he thinks HIS VERSION (The Official Client) is the "intended" way the game should be played, but he really has no problem if people don't want to play the way he would prefer.

Somewhere is one of these threads he says that he "has no interest in controlling people." and I absolutely believe him. It's exactly why he has done so little to eliminate griefing.

So basically, play with whatever client you'd like. But everyone else gets to do the same. If you think others are "cheating" because you have a perception that they have an advantage, well maybe they do, but only because you are choosing to limit yourself. I'm not cheating by using two hands to play the game just because you tie one hand behind your back.

Last edited by Punkypal (2020-01-06 08:49:05)

Daily Updated Map of Player Structures: https://bit.ly/2UrfOQ9
Link to Many Beginner Guides: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNp6g7 … xcw/videos
Composting Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmgyl9evfhw
Diesel Engine Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sMX_GlwgbA

#12 2020-01-06 08:50:51

Mekkie

I would not be able to play without Hetuw mod... just wouldn't happen.

#13 2020-01-06 09:17:15

Gogo
Banned

Vanilla is too ridiculous to play. Hair change is not visible enough, so moms aren't even aware they are became old, lol.

Last edited by Gogo (2020-01-06 09:18:58)

#14 2020-01-06 11:41:23

testo

Mekkie wrote:

I would not be able to play without Hetuw mod... just wouldn't happen.

I got bored of the game in two weeks in vanilla mode. Then I tried zoom mod. I am still here.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#15 2020-01-06 12:51:43

Mekkie

Also.. it's not cheating when everyone has access to it.

#16 2020-01-06 13:11:16

testo

Mekkie wrote:

Also.. it's not cheating when everyone has access to it.

No. Sorry, that argument doesn´t work anywhere. Say in online chess everyone has access to an online program, using it to play a rated game is still cheating.
But what does work is the fact that it is allowed from the original creator.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#17 2020-01-06 15:07:04

Dodge

Yes it's officially condonned, tbf the worst advantages of it was mod users being able to unfairly easily kill vanilla users and that has been fixed with the posse/murder/wait time etc.

But still mod users have basically unfair advantage to find ressources like food over vanilla users plus other cheats like saving maps location etc (which renders the need of carrying a map useless, basically duping maps in a sense).

Right now it doesn't matter that much since it's pretty trivial advantages but if the game becomes more interesting and those become more important aspects then yes these "cheats" would need counter mesures like PVP had to.

#18 2020-01-06 15:43:54

Spoonwood

Dodge wrote:

But still mod users have basically unfair advantage to find ressources like food over vanilla users plus other cheats like saving maps location etc (which renders the need of carrying a map useless, basically duping maps in a sense).

The game isn't a competition though.  Someone else doing something faster than you does not make you a worse player.

And again, PVP only happens when players seek the same goal and measure the strength of their play against others.  Some person A trying to kill some other person B in OHOL often isn't PVP since B isn't trying to kill A also.  It's just griefing.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#19 2020-01-06 16:40:43

Dodge

Spoonwood wrote:
Dodge wrote:

The game isn't a competition though.  Someone else doing something faster than you does not make you a worse player.

Not now, but maybe one day families or branches of families will compete with each other for ressources and survival and maybe will need to trade with each other in that case those with mods will have a clear unfair advantage over vanilla users and will be able to make their branch of the family survive much better hence increasing their score much easier than non mod users.

So mod users will have a clear unfair advantage regarding the ability to make their score higher which could make them unlock more abilities than non mod users.

Also duping maps is clearly a cheat get over it smile .

#20 2020-01-06 17:40:30

Spoonwood

Dodge wrote:

Not now, but maybe one day families or branches of families will compete with each other for ressources and survival and maybe will need to trade with each other in that case those with mods will have a clear unfair advantage over vanilla users and will be able to make their branch of the family survive much better hence increasing their score much easier than non mod users.

The game would likely be too fragile to griefing if such were necessary.  If The Rift proved anything at all, it's that too tight of a grip on resources makes for plenty of fragility with respect to griefing.

Also, take note of the overflow mechanic.  Jason is quite willing to make survival easier.

Danish Clinch.

#21 2020-01-06 18:01:08

Dodge

Spoonwood wrote:
Dodge wrote:

The game would likely be too fragile to griefing if such were necessary.  If The Rift proved anything at all, it's that too tight of a grip on resources makes for plenty of fragility with respect to griefing.

Also, take note of the overflow mechanic.  Jason is quite willing to make survival easier.

The overflow is to avoid broken food waste, survival being easier is a byproduct, it will likely get rebalanced at some point, since currently it's stupid easy (naked people surviving without any issues and not needing to consume much).

Also if the rift proved anything is that griefing issues can be solved (removal of permanent structures, hungry work for trees, etc).

So using griefing as an argument that the game wont this or that way is ignorant and limits possibilities in game development.

Hopefully the game will evolve from that state of stardew valley like that we have currently.

#22 2020-01-06 18:40:20

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Mod good vanilla bad

I also /blush.

#23 2020-01-06 18:50:05

Spoonwood

Dodge wrote:

The overflow is to avoid broken food waste, survival being easier is a byproduct, it will likely get rebalanced at some point, since currently it's stupid easy (naked people surviving without any issues and not needing to consume much).

I don't think that for new players surviving is stupid easy.  They have to learn what is a food and what isn't, and the tutorial provides very little in that respect.  After all, berry muching exists.

Dodge wrote:

Also if the rift proved anything is that griefing issues can be solved (removal of permanent structures, hungry work for trees, etc).

No, it did no such thing.  Remember those people who would try to force an arc reset?  Well they weren't trying to build civilization, they were trying to destroy it.  And they weren't parenting, since they wanted to force Eve camps for everyone, making things more difficult on their children.  Those griefers were never solved.  And seriously, during The Rift players killing for the hell of it happened far more than that.  Hence, fenced in towns.

Also, do you really think that hungry work for junipers solved the issue?  Give me a break.  Players can grief both the food supply and the tree supply with hungry work.

On top of that, there exist plenty of ways to block off wells.  Some require water to correct even though the structures aren't permanent.  Those issues were never solved, and apparently Jason would be so arrogant to believe that no griefers could ever figure out how to grief wells in that way where the map to have more constraints on the water supply.

Oh... and there exists a way to waste a bucket of a water at a time, I doubt it difficult for all that many people to figure out.  The issue of finite water supply and griefing of that water supply was never solved in The Rift.

Dodge wrote:

So using griefing as an argument that the game wont this or that way is ignorant and limits possibilities in game development.

Wow, you're even blind in what you still advocate for Dodge (though apparently the finite map was originally Jason's idea).  A finite map limits possibilities in game development since adding more biomes and/or resources and/or other things ends up rather meaningless.

Dodge wrote:

Hopefully the game will evolve from that state of stardew valley like that we have currently.

*laughs*  Stardew Valley is massively more popular than OHOL and always has been from what I can tell: https://steamcharts.com/app/413150  The game is a parenting and civilization builder at it's core.  In large measure it's because Jason drifted so far away from that core with things like The Come Together Disaster, and The Rift, that the player population tanked so much over the late summer and fall.  Remember... the player population jumped quite heavily the week when boundless world 2.0 came about.  And you probably don't know this, but some low pop projects once again become a thing when boundless world 2.0 came about.  El Risitas is right when he says that the player count recovered here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXeOufAnx1A

Edit: Also, with more constraints Dodge as you seem to think would happen, how will eternal survival of a family be possible?  I note that the current system already has problems with such as possible.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2020-01-06 18:56:27)

Danish Clinch.

#24 2020-01-06 20:39:11

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Spoonwood wrote:> Dodge wrote:>Spoonwood wrote:> Dodge wrote:>Spoonwood wrote:> Dodge wrote:>Spoonwood wrote:> Dodge wrote:>Spoonwood wrote:> Dodge wrote:>Spoonwood wrote:> Dodge wrote:>Spoonwood wrote:> Dodge wrote:>Spoonwood wrote:> Dodge wrote:>Spoonwood wrote:> Dodge wrote:>Spoonwood wrote:> Dodge wrote:>Spoonwood wrote:> Dodge wrote:>Spoonwood wrote:> Dodge wrote:>Spoonwood wrote:> Dodge wrote:>Spoonwood wrote:> Dodge wrote:>Spoonwood wrote:> Dodge wrote:>Spoonwood wrote:> Dodge wrote:>Spoonwood wrote:> Dodge wrote:>Spoonwood wrote:> Dodge wrote:>Spoonwood wrote:> Dodge wrote:>Spoonwood wrote:> Dodge wrote:>Spoonwood wrote:> Dodge wrote:>Spoonwood wrote:> Dodge wrote:>Spoonwood wrote:> Dodge wrote:>Spoonwood wrote:> Dodge wrote:> Lol wrong

I also /blush.

#25 2020-01-06 20:46:48

Toxolotl

If zoom mods and others are removed you wont need to ban me, i will leave voluntarily.

That being said features in some of the mods should be highly considered to be added to vanilla. Specifically zoom, age meter, and accurate distances.

Board footer