One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-31 05:43:38

Galafalachida

The Future Of Realistic Society

It seems like Jason (The Dev of this game)
likes the idea of recreating civilization in this game.
(But what do I know, Im not him.)
but one of the biggest things is CurReNcY!
I bet a few lot of people don't like this idea?
Many people have asked for this all over
Coins, dollars. something along those lines
maybe: silver coins, copper coins, gold coins.
somewhat of a difference of value.
It might make a world of a difference,
if people actually begin to make it valuable.
I have spent A FAIR AMOUNT of lives:
building houses, trying to build shops,
selling things, being a real estate agent.
it goes nowhere, even if I sell to people and they actually build houses. if they have kids those kids will be more compelled to going to the communist society down the street, maybe it seems selfish to have your own house? well it could be if your an asshole. but borrowing a shovel to remove the soil pit in ur lawn and bringing it back shouldn't be that way, Wallets, purses, it'll create capitalism. just sayin' it might make a difference. some towns might stay communist u know its a choice. TELL ME UR THOUGHTS PLS, I APPRECIATE IT! dont be rude tho...we just sharin our opinions and thoughts everybody's welcome this prob wont be implemented anyways hmm who knows tho

Im just here to soak up the juicy drama ; )

#2 2019-12-31 06:00:18

TheRubyCart

Re: The Future Of Realistic Society

Inflation would exist if this happened, and if it goes into hyperinflation... BOOM... Economys gone to civilization B\

Then Civilization B's money would be 13 for 1 Civilization A money

You are amazing, you are loved, and have a good day to whoever might read this <3

#3 2019-12-31 06:06:55

Galafalachida

Ahhh ur right Ruby, geezers everything thats added has a bad side. but it could make some sick history,
Maybe even a great depression

Last edited by Galafalachida (2019-12-31 06:08:59)

#4 2019-12-31 06:26:55

Spoonwood

Currency for what?  People will just yoink items that you deem as 'yours', even if you traded for them honestly.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#5 2019-12-31 06:30:18

Galafalachida

Spoonwood wrote:

Currency for what?  People will just yoink items that you deem as 'yours', even if you traded for them honestly.

Laws
Rules
Guards
Police?

Locked chests/doors?
even putting items in ur backpack or storage on urself
might be safer

Last edited by Galafalachida (2019-12-31 06:31:41)

#6 2019-12-31 06:32:40

Galafalachida

Honestly,
you'd need a ton of other things done
to make this currency thing balanced
Authority and police maybe
some sorta laws
and other things

#7 2019-12-31 06:34:42

Spoonwood

Yea, towns aren't big enough for those other things.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#8 2019-12-31 06:38:16

Galafalachida

Spoonwood wrote:

Yea, towns aren't big enough for those other things.

Ur kinda right, the servers arent big enough to have giant societies everywhere

#9 2019-12-31 07:18:05

Punkypal

More people trying to make this game what it is not.

Dude. You live 60 minutes max. We don't have real ways to secure property. This is a community working together game. If it simulates anything it's a very dysfunctional hippie commune.

You said you've tried to be a capatalist in this game before many times and it's always gone nowhere. I'm not surprised. It probably went as well as in real life moving to an actual dysfunctional hippie commune and trying to be a capatalist.

I'm sorry but in the end, this isn't real life, it's a simulation game. Meaning it was built and set up a certain way to simulate a certain thing. Suggestions really need to fall within the parameters that already exist. To make a game that would have private property and money and economics and all that sounds like a lot of fun. It also doesn't sound anything like OHOL. To introduce all that stuff would basically require making OHOL just a completely different game.

And don't get me wrong, I LOVE games with great economic systems and trading and all that. It's just inherently the exact opposite of what OHOL is. I don't even like property fences in game because I almost never seen them used for someone to protect what they have made, but used to steal things others have made or jail and murder babies. Before coins/money can even be considered, a way to make a 100% secure, private house that can't be shamelessly abused to grief with would need to be introduced, and that ownership would need to be tied to your account and transcend multiple lives. I honestly can't think of any way Jason would be convinced to code such a thing. Again, from everything he's said about the game, that just seems like the opposite of his vision for OHOL.

You can make a lot of house rules for Monopoly that can alter the game, but you can't just turn Monopoly into Chess. Especially not if the game designer is really, really, committed to making Monopoly (or at least, NOT Chess).

Daily Updated Map of Player Structures: https://bit.ly/2UrfOQ9
Link to Many Beginner Guides: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNp6g7 … xcw/videos
Composting Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmgyl9evfhw
Diesel Engine Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sMX_GlwgbA

#10 2019-12-31 07:39:16

Galafalachida

U right u right

#11 2019-12-31 07:54:20

Punkypal

I mean, I've though this over some myself, but even if we had good ideas oh how to do it, I can't think of any that Jason would go for. I've read pretty much everything he's written, and I could be wrong, but I feel I have a firm grasp on how he thinks in regards to OHOL.

Maybe that's why I get frustrated with some suggestions (I just mean in general) because it seems obvious to me that it won't ever get the designer approval, so there's no point in even barking up that tree so to speak. Even if I think it's a fine idea, it's moot if Jason won't ever go for it.

And trust me, if he did introduce coins, they would be mainly for RP and you wouldn't really be able to use them to make any sort of economy with. More likely he would introduce coins because he realized a way to do so that would allow griefers to use them not as intended, but for griefing purposes. Most players will end up regretting that he made them. That's my prediction.

Link to Many Beginner Guides: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNp6g7 … xcw/videos

#12 2019-12-31 12:38:40

JasonY

A system of buying, selling and item ownership. You can only use what you make or buy. When you make something you by default own it, Hold and say "For sale" and anyone can pick up if they can afford it. You can state someone in your will to inherit your items and money when you die, By default, it will go to your closest relative.

Some items would need to public use, Generally, low tech stuff wouldn't be owned by anyone. That way you don't get into situations where everyone owns everything you need to make items making it impossible to make money. Maybe you get a small sum for labor such as processing iron or farming.

Maybe later on placing certain items will cost money as well. You could be able to set up a government that can setup taxes, Government funds are then used to build infrastructure such as roads.

Last edited by JasonY (2019-12-31 12:41:14)

Need Content

#13 2019-12-31 15:59:05

Villas

I really love the idea, communism sucks. I read a topic earlier talking about how a guy hunted a lot of rabbits and someone just stole it and made a backpack for his family and the worst part is that people said the thief was right lol.
Gold has few uses, I think we can only make crowns and bells, so making gold coins would be fun at least, we could store the coins in a pouch on our waist or something like that. Once you are rich, you can hire people to work in your property, farming wheat, making pies and whatnot, pay them to follow you.

The problem is that making safe shops is complicated. I think the only safe way is using property fences, although they take some time to be “unremovable”.

Edit: wait a sec, were the guy who wrote “money” on maps and then a girl stole your “money”?

Last edited by Villas (2019-12-31 16:02:53)

#14 2019-12-31 21:30:29

Dantox

forcing an economy into the game it would turn out as well as when jason tried to force us into going to wars with each other; it doesnt work and will be probably scrapped or just forgotten.

I dont think a currency like coins will ever work in this game since for it to exist a society needs to be developed (a REAL society, not a half-baked one that a game can simulate) thats why you and me work for money, because the society we currently live needs a currency to keep thriving in the way it does. economy works when most if not everyone agrees with it (or doesnt have the option to change into another type of living) (thing that cannot exist on OHOL, because of new players, griefers, rogues or simply because players dont feel like it)

I have heard suggestions that to make this ideas to work to add more tools for policing, however this sounds like a way to make griefers more powerfull and actually being able to start slaving other players. so yeah, probably a bad call for now, maybe when the community is larger?

trade in other hands is way more achievable, and i think it is already possible on these days (not because of the attempts of jason to make it happen, but because its a natural process) iron, steel, oil and gold are resources that are not as easy to get so they could be used to trade for another type of goodies.

make bread, no war

#15 2019-12-31 22:54:15

Wuatduhf

This is the only answer this thread needs: one does not simply program a currency.

People derive value from what they find useful and will try to use a common resource, and sometimes bartering, as a medium of exchange.

But none of that matters! There is no real trade in OHOL!

I explore trade in the context of OHOL in a relatively-provocative thread from ages ago: http://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=6506

#16 2019-12-31 23:27:31

coriander

I love these player ideas (including ones that have already been implemented in the game), but the problem that currency, war, trade, and hierarchies all share is that there is no practical reason for these features. Something has to change fundamentally within the game for them to work...The specialization update was a step toward trade, but it didn't really encourage trade as much as it made well-making needlessly convoluted. My point is that I like the idea on paper, but I think it's ultimately up to Jason as to whether or not we can make meaningful use of a currency feature. Could end up buried and forgotten like the war update or treated as a cool RP gimmick like the hierarchies update.

#17 2019-12-31 23:50:56

Villas

I don’t think it means forcing anything.
We just neede to be able to make golden coins, people will use if they want, like the hierarchy system or the property fences. It only would be forcing if people be forced to use currency in order to pick up items and whatnot. But as far as I am concerned, giving the ability to make currency in game, won’t force anything

Last edited by Villas (2020-01-01 00:49:10)

#18 2020-01-01 00:19:10

DestinyCall

How would you carry gold coins?     Four coins per backpack seems like a pretty useless currency model.

#19 2020-01-01 00:48:29

Villas

DestinyCall wrote:

How would you carry gold coins?     Four coins per backpack seems like a pretty useless currency model.

Yes, we would need a kind of little gold bag that we can tie or fix on our pants. That bag would carry may be 30 golden coins, and we could also put the little bag in our backpack (like we do with bait bags).

As everyone said, it wouldn’t be that useful since communism is easier, but since we have hierarchy system that isn’t that useful as well. I would love to see golden coins. We could also be able to turn them into gold bars again.

We are greed and like money in real life, so we are used to it, I don’t doubt people would change their clothes for golden coins, even when the clothes are more useful. Just for fun, nothing close to meta-game.

#20 2020-01-01 03:20:35

The_Anabaptist

If you want currency, take a page out of Hitchhikers Guide and use leaves and then burn down the Forrest.

The_Anabaptist

#21 2020-01-01 19:10:32

Gogo
Banned

Villas wrote:

I don’t think it means forcing anything.
We just neede to be able to make golden coins, people will use if they want, like the hierarchy system or the property fences. It only would be forcing if people be forced to use currency in order to pick up items and whatnot. But as far as I am concerned, giving the ability to make currency in game, won’t force anything

In my opinion total freedom is the reason why this game won't be pushed further into something else and by that there won't be currency etc. (I mean real thing, not just decoration).

#22 2020-01-02 00:20:50

Punkypal

DestinyCall wrote:

How would you carry gold coins?  Four coins per backpack seems like a pretty useless currency model.

I mentioned I already thought a lot about this, but abandoned it all because the more I thought about how to do it right, the more I realized Jason would not want to do it.

The most likely thing I believe is that we could make a coin purse out of rabbit skins, or maybe just place coin into a water skin, thus turning it into a coin purse. Once it's a coin purse we could attach it to our waist as an extra clothing item, like a belt. You could also stick this into a backpack to hide the fact that you have a coin bag on you. It would hold up to 50 coins, but 30 is a good number too. On the ground coins could be stacked in piles and you can click on a pile on the ground while holding a coin purse to pick up all coins at once, up to the max it can hold.

Coins would be made of gold and wouldn't be easy. First a coin press mint would need to be made. and of course you'd need to gather the gold. Maybe you'd need gold and iron to make an alloy first. Jason could find plenty of ways to make producing coins not easy. If it's too easy inflation would be too high, and the resources to make coins would be wasted too quickly. It would be advisable to allow coins to be melted down to get back the gold for other uses.

Such a setup would be used mostly for RP and many players will be encouraged to try to open shops and such, and find themselves highly disappointed when most players don't bother to carry coins, or aren't interested in buying things because it's so easy to just take what you want or need.

The idea I had that Jason won't ever go for (I'm pretty sure) is that towns can build a "bank" of some sort. Players can take their coins to this bank to "deposit" them (coins would still have to be made in game like I describe above). Deposited coins then they become tied to your account and esentially disappear from the game world. You can visit the bank to see how many coins you have in your account and withdraw them. Hopefully inflation is kept in check because as new coins are made, some players with bank accounts containing coins will stop playing, thus removing those coins from the world. Other players will die out in the wilderness carrying coins on their persons and society will advance west before anyone loots their grave.

With a system of "money" being tied to your account, that you can pass from life to life, then more of an economy can develop. With only 60 minutes of life, wasting time trying to build up a handful of coins seems pointless. By the time you have some coins to buy anything, you are old and what's the point in buying if you're looking death in the face!

Unfortunately I believe this alone won't be enough. Jason would also have to improve a players ability to make a private house/business that could be secure from one life to another and we would have to completely give up on the current style of gameplay. Anyone who just made things for the community would just see those things stolen by a "shopkeeper" so they could sell them back to the town. Or shopkeepers would constantly try to grief the competition to give themselves an advantage. You think towns die to easily now? It's only going to be 10x worse when things the town needs to survive are all in private hands, the the owners of those resources are dead, or offline, or being griefed to shut them down. Realistically I believe you'd need more players so all jobs have many "suppliers" and food would have to keep you fed much longer, or mass starvation will always be happening (or literally everyone would have to farm their own food to be safe).

This would be such a change from the existing game, Jason would have to set it up on a completely different server just to try it out, and let current OHOL run on all other servers. It would be so game changing that I'm sure it probably would more likely completely break the game rather than simulate an economy. You need more than 60-70 people to have an "economy" is what I think. Fun idea, I don't think it would work unless player base was at least 4x larger than current, and even then that might not be enough.

Last edited by Punkypal (2020-01-02 00:24:27)

#23 2020-01-09 20:44:26

Villas

Twisted posted a video (very funny) in a town where people tried to turn cards into currency and I loved it.
I hope after watching the video, people start mimicking them and build some shops and cards, then maybe Jason thinks about adding golden coins and purses.

Check the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UdlWCFODIQ

#24 2020-01-10 00:11:30

DestinyCall

You could try starting a card-based economy in your next town, Villas.   Everything has to start somewhere.   Be the change you want to see in the world.

#25 2020-01-10 00:30:48

PXshadow

Currency needs to have value on it's own. You can't simply just start trading cards if no one wants cards. A currency needs to start out as something that is commonly traded, focusing on property is what needs to occur not currency, as that will occur naturally based on the game's items in circulation from a market.

PXshadow#9132
Senior full stack developer

Board footer