One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-31 02:06:33

FryinggPan

Gimme tutorial ideas

So I've decided to start a youtube channel for OHOL tutorials,  I have a few recorded and a few ideas to record this week. But I'd like some suggestions  from the community on what you guys a) want to learn or b) want the community to learn. Anything helps. Thanks guys!

|Eve Otter| |Eve Black| |Eve Murders|

#2 2019-12-31 02:08:54

Villas

Re: Gimme tutorial ideas

People should learn how to deal with cows, they are a great source of food, but people don’t know how to milk cows nor drink milk.

#3 2019-12-31 02:12:56

FryinggPan

Sweeet! Added to my list! I am debating if I should  mush farm animals into one video or do one for each? Any advice?

#4 2019-12-31 02:16:02

Toxolotl

Compost tutorial would be cool. Maybe planting all the plants as well.

Last edited by Toxolotl (2019-12-31 02:16:53)

#5 2019-12-31 02:18:22

FryinggPan

Compost is already done, just have to get the channel set up and have it uploaded. Should be public in the next few days. Haha it was the second one I made.

#6 2019-12-31 02:18:42

Cantface

Loom building and all the clothing would be awesome! I haven't written it anywhere and my memory is mush!

Breasticles

#7 2019-12-31 02:20:34

FryinggPan

I'll have to refresh how to loom again but thank you! Added to the list. <3

#8 2019-12-31 02:45:41

JasonY

The radio is confusing to build but is actually useful I feel.

If I were doing a tutorial I'd do how to make a town from scratch.

Need Content

#9 2019-12-31 02:53:18

Carrot-Seedling

* Stew, Sauerkraut, and Shrimp
* The Comprehensive Guide to All Clothes Ever & dyeing them
* Tomatoes: The hardest crop
* Specialized Races: Why can't I pick up my baby in the desert?
* Tool Slots: The axe is upside down!
* Special Healing: Snake antivenom is real!
* <joke> How to catch, kill, and eat a Jason </joke>

Thanks, FryinggPan. Hope to see your tutorials soon!

You have now laid eyes upon the one and only Raidan Allcock on the leaderboards. tongue

#10 2019-12-31 02:57:57

FryinggPan

Awesome! Thank you all for your helpful suggestions,  added all of them to my list! I'll be posting my channel in the forums when it's set up. If you'd prefer. Send me an email at onelifeuniversity@gmail.com and I'll let you know the moment it's active.

#11 2019-12-31 04:43:09

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

How to heal all types of wounds, make pads, and needles and thread.

Also I highly recommend telling them all about zoom out mods. You're practically trolling without them.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#12 2019-12-31 04:52:30

Spoonwood

I second what Slinky said.

Also, how to make organized farms.  When I did Eve runs on a regular basis I remember my children would often make large sprawling berry patches.  I think I might have tried to get them to grow something else initially, but after a while and having some families where barely any crops got planted (I remember one where I think I outdid my children in terms of crop planting and I was getting iron too), I came to appreciate it if they did a substantial amount of farming period.  But, it would have been better if they had made more organized farms, and I didn't make it to the point of saying to them something like 'three by three' for farms.

Also, though it's a 'don't do this', perhaps saying something about not head blocking flat rocks or anything else really at the smithy.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#13 2019-12-31 04:52:41

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Baking all types of pies
Making and dyeing fancy clothes, along with wool clothes.
How to tame horses
How to breed sheep
Why grave yards are bad
How to collect fire wood, and make kindling.
HOW TO YUM

Maybe also a guide on being able to tell what a town needs. I think it's something newbies are really bad at. They have no idea what to do. Everyone's naked? Get some clothes. No water? Make water or go collect some from ponds. No pies? Bake. Ect ect.

I also /blush.

#14 2019-12-31 05:11:57

Punkypal

PLEASE

Write yourself a script on paper, and follow your script as you make your video. Then, if you really want it to be good quality, REDO the audio afterwards when just watching the video playback. If at anypoint something gets messed up, you can pause, back up, and do a second take.

Better yet, don't even do audio on the video take. Prepare everything how you want it to be and have a checklist, and then just do the thing. Later you add the audio as you watch yourself play, but talk as if you are actually doing it life, not watching yourself. Nobody will know that's how you did it, and you'll look super sharp. Often if people try to teach and do at the same time they get distracted and things end up being confused.

I HATE videos where it's super amateur and sloppy. The person giving a lesson goes off on some tangent because they have no script and can't focus. They forget important things also because no script or checklist. They sound like crap because they always say, "Ummmmmm" or cough a lot, or whatever. Their mom or wife yells at them, or they get a phone call right in the middle and just don't edit that shit out. Any distracting background chaos needs to be avoided or edited out. Doing the video first and then doing the audio later can help avoid all that stuff.

Also, please get right to the point. So many people that make these kinds of videos feel a need to add 5 minutes of their life story and other blah blah blah before they even get on topic. Don't do that. Nobody cares about background fluff or why you made the video, or any of that.

Intro should be no more than: "Hello, this is Fryinggpan, and in this video I'll be showing you how to do [whatever] in one hour one life. So lets get to it!" AND THAT'S ALL! After that get right onto the lesson. Be clear and concise. At the end ask people to like and follow. Done. That's a professional format, and it what gets shared and likes and follows.

Basically, don't be an amateur hour production.

ALSO

Back in the day when I'd try to find a good Minecraft tutorial I'd have to dig through soooooo many made by a child that I swear just stopped breastfeeding from their mum the week before. If you sound like you are a 5 year old toddler please, just don't make a video. It will be rubbish in so many ways. Sorry.

Last edited by Punkypal (2019-12-31 05:31:02)

Daily Updated Map of Player Structures: https://bit.ly/2UrfOQ9
Link to Many Beginner Guides: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNp6g7 … xcw/videos
Composting Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmgyl9evfhw
Diesel Engine Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sMX_GlwgbA

#15 2019-12-31 05:33:21

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Punkypal wrote:

I HATE videos where it's super amateur and sloppy.

You're pretty picky. Why not make your own? You seem to know everything.

No one else is making tutorial videos. Be grateful someone is trying to help. Helpful tips is one thing but writing a whole essay assuming they'll be bad seems a bit much.

I also /blush.

#16 2019-12-31 05:35:40

FryinggPan

Haha but I'm doing it slink xD

#17 2019-12-31 05:44:58

Villas

DiscardedSlinky wrote:
Punkypal wrote:

I gave up on this boy Punkypal when he said having mixed race babies would really bad because it causes laag to the server and create super humans that can walk in two different restricted biomes (like we couldn’t walk in all biomes before that update). He just wants to disagree with people and show he’s better lol. He is pretty new player, but knows more than all the veterans and I am sure he knows everything about YouTube channels and tutorials, he might have a professional studio and 10 Mi subs. xD

Last edited by Villas (2019-12-31 05:48:11)

#18 2019-12-31 06:16:50

Punkypal

Villas wrote:
DiscardedSlinky wrote:
Punkypal wrote:

I gave up on this boy Punkypal when he said having mixed race babies would really bad because it causes laag to the server and create super humans that can walk in two different restricted biomes (like we couldn’t walk in all biomes before that update). He just wants to disagree with people and show he’s better lol. He is pretty new player, but knows more than all the veterans and I am sure he knows everything about YouTube channels and tutorials, he might have a professional studio and 10 Mi subs. xD

It's OK, I gave up on you when you seriously suggested that Jason, INSTEAD OF JUST REMOVING RACE DIFFERENCES, should take time to write more code to make race differences obsolete, basically backtracking something he has been quite clear about wanting to introduce, rather than, IDK, about 1000 other things he could be doing, such as actually adding more content. Almost as big of a waste of time as Legs dying on the "Pine Doors Need Locks" hill.

I'll let you in on a little something. I might think I know everything, but unlike you, I'm not a hypocrite. So I have that at least.

But I'll answer the question. I don't make the videos myself because it simply isn't worth it. Hardly anyone plays this game and it could end tomorrow if Jason decides he's finally bored with it. I'm not even playing anymore at this point, and if Jason doesn't fix up some of the major problems this game has, and instead does fuckall such as, IDK, make it so people are randomly born as a human, or an INFERIOR AND WEAKER human, thus exacerbating the problem with people using /DIE or suicideing then I won't be playing in the future either. I also can't just make quality videos from my iphone when I have spare time out and about town, whereas explaining basic things on a forum I can do from virtually anywhere.

I could make a quality video if I wanted to. I have worked to produce quality videos with professional YouTubers that have generated over a million views. A good quality video is going to, as I said, get likes and follows, and shares. Crap will get skipped in less than 15 seconds. If Fryinggpan wants to make a video that's 3 minutes long but people only watch 15 seconds of it, then by all means he can go right ahead. They could be so bad that LESS people want to buy the game after watching the video maybe. Would that make you happy? Hummmm? Would that be better for OHOL?

As to assuming they will be bad. I'm not assuming they will be bad. But have you ever looked up a video game tutorial for any game on YouTube? It sounds like maybe you have not. If you do look up such videos you'll find that 95% or more fail to do any of the things I suggested, and if you could see the analytics you'd see they are getting almost no engagement. Then look up a video that has 100's of thousands of likes and followers and you'll see they hit every single one of my points. If you think any of these things is "just being picky" then maybe you've just made mediocrity a lifestyle.

Last edited by Punkypal (2019-12-31 06:34:46)

Daily Updated Map of Player Structures: https://bit.ly/2UrfOQ9
Link to Many Beginner Guides: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNp6g7 … xcw/videos
Composting Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmgyl9evfhw
Diesel Engine Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sMX_GlwgbA

#19 2019-12-31 10:55:10

Erudaru

A tutorial about how to not waste iron tools would be useful I think because I've seen:

- people using the axe when there's a perfectly fine hatchet
- people making graves
- people using the shovel to move dung, but then they need to put it down and instead of swapping the dung shovel with something on the ground, they dump the dung and pick it up again, essentially using the shovel twice if I'm not wrong
- using the almost broken potato shovel to e.g. move dung and breaking it immediately
- using the smithing hammer for wrought iron instead of a round stone

#20 2019-12-31 12:27:50

Spoonwood

Also, on the topic of steel... how to combine broken steel tools and to leave them near the smithy.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#21 2019-12-31 12:56:03

Gogo
Banned

I suggest plan ahead and make videos for 3 groups from oldest to newer videos, for noobs, more advanced and pro's.

Noobs: how to settle camp as Eve, how to find well by dry springs; teach about temperature, yum chain, floor warm bonus, gene score; how to build walls/roads (autowalls), about hunger work; 'don't do this' as someone suggested; how to build basic village (bakery/smith/fire/basic farm) and in what shape (small berry farm); how to be faster; how to spot a griefer (many fires etc.); how to defend yourself (run when you see gasp).

Then how to improve well. Advanced stuff in forge. Loom. How to get kerosene. Different foods, different crops. How to heal.

Then diesel, car, radio, airplanes.

After this you can start adding videos about updates.

#22 2019-12-31 15:48:20

Villas

Punkypal wrote:
Villas wrote:
DiscardedSlinky wrote:

It's OK, I gave up on you when you seriously suggested that Jason, INSTEAD OF JUST REMOVING RACE DIFFERENCES, should take time to write more code to make race differences obsolete, basically backtracking something he has been quite clear about wanting to introduce, rather than, IDK, about 1000 other things he could be doing, such as actually adding more content. Almost as big of a waste of time as Legs dying on the "Pine Doors Need Locks" hill.

I'll let you in on a little something. I might think I know everything, but unlike you, I'm not a hypocrite. So I have that at least.

But I'll answer the question. I don't make the videos myself because it simply isn't worth it. Hardly anyone plays this game and it could end tomorrow if Jason decides he's finally bored with it. I'm not even playing anymore at this point, and if Jason doesn't fix up some of the major problems this game has, and instead does fuckall such as, IDK, make it so people are randomly born as a human, or an INFERIOR AND WEAKER human, thus exacerbating the problem with people using /DIE or suicideing then I won't be playing in the future either. I also can't just make quality videos from my iphone when I have spare time out and about town, whereas explaining basic things on a forum I can do from virtually anywhere.

I could make a quality video if I wanted to. I have worked to produce quality videos with professional YouTubers that have generated over a million views. A good quality video is going to, as I said, get likes and follows, and shares. Crap will get skipped in less than 15 seconds. If Fryinggpan wants to make a video that's 3 minutes long but people only watch 15 seconds of it, then by all means he can go right ahead. They could be so bad that LESS people want to buy the game after watching the video maybe. Would that make you happy? Hummmm? Would that be better for OHOL?

As to assuming they will be bad. I'm not assuming they will be bad. But have you ever looked up a video game tutorial for any game on YouTube? It sounds like maybe you have not. If you do look up such videos you'll find that 95% or more fail to do any of the things I suggested, and if you could see the analytics you'd see they are getting almost no engagement. Then look up a video that has 100's of thousands of likes and followers and you'll see they hit every single one of my points. If you think any of these things is "just being picky" then maybe you've just made mediocrity a lifestyle.

lol

Board footer