One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-29 23:04:13

Legs

Problem: Can't Lock Pine Doors

Lock sets don't work on pine doors.

This is clearly an oversight with the recent changes to pine panel carpentry.

We need home security, Jason pls fix.

Loco Motion

#2 2019-12-29 23:14:21

Villas

Re: Problem: Can't Lock Pine Doors

To be honest, it’s actually good. When griefers lock doors, we change to pine doors so they can’t lock it. I don’t think it was an oversight, we use it even in stone buildings when griefers are around. It was extremely expensive before, we had to use 5 ropes, even then we made pine doors only because people couldn’t lock them.
I think it should stay as it is, the only people who use lock and key nowadays are griefers, if you don’t want people to use the building you made, you should use property fences, things outside a property fences belong to the community who lives in the town.

#3 2019-12-29 23:59:33

Punkypal

Legs wrote:

This is clearly an oversight with the recent changes...

Also,

Flint chips don't block movement, and can be picked up by anyone at anytime. They should require a special tool and a notice signed by an elder and another player to move a flint chip after it's been put down. As it is now, people can walk almost anywhere!

This is clearly an oversight with the current changes

We need movement security, Jason pls fix.

Last edited by Punkypal (2019-12-30 00:19:44)

Daily Updated Map of Player Structures: https://bit.ly/2UrfOQ9
Link to Many Beginner Guides: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNp6g7 … xcw/videos
Composting Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmgyl9evfhw
Diesel Engine Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sMX_GlwgbA

#4 2019-12-30 00:29:53

Cantface

I want pine doors to remain the way they are, replacing all the lockable doors with pine ones is something I like to do, my twin agrees after being locked in too many rooms (some with stone walls, some with doors) we try our best to anti grief locks and shit but someone will just knife the door off and replace them quickly. Not much we can do but at least we try lol.

Breasticles

#5 2019-12-30 00:31:14

DestinyCall

I like having a "no lock" door option.    If you want true security during your lifetime, you can build a property gate that you own.  If you want to block access forever, you can use a wooden door with lock.  If you want to gain the benefits of a closed room WITHOUT placing yourself at risk of being locked inside your own bakery/nursery/whatever, then you stick with pine doors.

It also means that the cheapest pine doors are less secure than the more expensive wooden doors.    That makes perfect sense to me.

#6 2019-12-30 00:51:53

fug

Legs wrote:

This is clearly an oversight with the recent changes to pine panel carpentry.

We need home security, Jason pls fix.

This is actually not an oversight though. In times of massive door griefing people specifically built the expensive pine doors to ignore locks.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#7 2019-12-30 02:34:24

JasonY

Locked doors should act as property gates do. Add a lock to claim the door, add all your friends/family, The lock will fall off if everyone dies.

We should still have doors like pine that are public and cannot be locked. With that system, you could still have private apartments later down the line. If anybody griefs you can see the owners of the doors so they will get killed/cursed and the lock will fall off anyway.

Need Content

#8 2019-12-30 02:37:04

DestinyCall

Or just allow people to BREAK locks off wooden doors.  They shouldn't be forever locked.

#9 2019-12-30 02:37:35

JasonY

DestinyCall wrote:

Or just allow people to BREAK locks off wooden doors.  They shouldn't be forever locked.

The thing is, That would defeat the purpose of adding the lock.

Need Content

#10 2019-12-30 05:04:05

Punkypal

There can only be 10 types of locks, so all you need to do is craft as many as 10 different locks, and then make those into 10 different lock removal kits, then you can remove any lock. You can also just play the lottery and make them one at a time until one works. I've found lock I and lock J are the most popular for when I was trying to ungrief locked doors, but I've only done about 4, so that's not a big sample pool

Link to Many Beginner Guides: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNp6g7 … xcw/videos

#11 2019-12-30 05:57:46

DestinyCall

JasonY wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

Yes. I have no problem with that.   

The primary use for locks is griefing, since locking stuff is almost never good for the whole village.

#12 2019-12-30 06:00:02

JasonY

DestinyCall wrote:
JasonY wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

I'm an idealist fool who wants the game to be boring.   

The primary use for griefing is almost good for the whole village.

Glad you agree.

Last edited by JasonY (2019-12-30 06:08:59)

Need Content

#13 2019-12-30 08:40:37

DestinyCall

JasonY wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:
JasonY wrote:

Glad you agree.

Jason ... are you feeling okay?   Your posts have been getting increasingly hostile lately.

#14 2019-12-30 11:43:38

JasonY

DestinyCall wrote:
JasonY wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

Glad you agree.

Jason okay?   Your posts have been getting increasingly

Need Content

#15 2019-12-30 11:54:25

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:
JasonY wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

Glad you agree.

Jason ... are you feeling okay?   Your posts have been getting increasingly hostile lately.

Uh... one of JasonY's early posts was this: http://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=8389  So, I'm not so sure about his/her posts as 'increasingly hostile' since the person has seemed hostile ab initio.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#16 2019-12-30 12:03:36

JasonY

Spoonwood wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:
JasonY wrote:

Glad you agree.

Uh... one of JasonY's early posts was this: http://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=8389  so sure about his/her posts as increasing ab initio.

You are right

Need Content

#17 2019-12-30 12:35:38

coriander

Secure your home with wooden doors. Others enjoy their pine doors. Win-win. No change needed.

Last edited by coriander (2019-12-31 04:13:04)

#18 2019-12-30 18:23:43

Legs

Considering that locks are in the game, and that they work on doors, Jason clearly intended for doors to be locked.

Until recently wooden doors were the only kind that people used. Now we have pine doors. The inability to lock pine doors is an obvious oversight.

Doors are meant to be locked. Locks are in the game and they're pointless if they can't be used.

Loco Motion

#19 2019-12-30 18:35:31

DestinyCall

Pine doors have existed for a LONG time, Legs.   People didn't use them much because they were too expensive to make, but they have always been there.    And the inability to lock those doors has been a known (and desirable) feature that has come in handy to prevent door griefers for a long time.     Pine doors being much more affordable is great because non-locking doors are now much easier to make.

As for locks being part of the game, you are correct.  Jason does want wooden doors to be lockable.   He also wants prisons to be possible.   That doesn't mean ever bakery needs to be a potential prison.

#20 2019-12-30 18:55:52

Punkypal

Legs wrote:

Considering that locks are in the game, and that they work on doors, Jason clearly intended for doors to be locked.

Until recently wooden doors were the only kind that people used. Now we have pine doors. The inability to lock pine doors is an obvious oversight.

Doors are meant to be locked. Locks are in the game and they're pointless if they can't be used.

I'm sorry Legs, you are a dunce.

Sometimes (no, almost always actually) a town wants to build a public structure with doors that can't be locked. That is why there is a door type on purpose that can't be locked. If all door types could be locked, it would be impossible to make a room with doors that was free from being locked. You seem confused that you are playing some kind of MMO where everyone has their own little house, and can display all their little trophies, and you can go in the online shop and for $3 you can buy a poster of Bowser to hang on the wall in your little house, and nobody but you will ever see it or care because nobody can ever get in your house but you.

This is a community game. UNLOCKED is the normal. And... WTF are you just trolling? You can make a door that locks. Just make that door type, problem solved. What, you don't like how it looks? In a game where every player is a doodle with stick legs you are taking issue with your door graphics choices? Is it that it's harder to make? A chimpanzee can handle making a wooden do...... Oh, now I see. It's because it's too hard, right?

#21 2019-12-30 19:09:08

DestinyCall

Perhaps he ran out of tool slots?

#22 2019-12-30 21:59:04

testo

And you all took this post as serious...?? Color me surprised.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#23 2019-12-30 22:41:51

Legs

Pine doors being new or not isn't the point. Their widespread usage is new. Before they were made cheaper they were effectively never used. Since they were never used, this problem went unreported. Now that they're then standard, they need to be lockable.

I mean, what magical properties do pine doors have that makes it IMPOSSIBLE to install a lock? It's unrealistic, silly and clearly not working as intended.

You can't install springs onto pine doors either, are you going to tell me that was also intended? No, there's no reason not to let them spring open and shut other than it being an obvious oversight.

Loco Motion

#24 2019-12-30 23:12:30

fug

Legs wrote:

Pine doors being new or not isn't the point. Their widespread usage is new. Before they were made cheaper they were effectively never used. Since they were never used, this problem went unreported. Now that they're then standard, they need to be lockable.

I mean, what magical properties do pine doors have that makes it IMPOSSIBLE to install a lock? It's unrealistic, silly and clearly not working as intended.

You can't install springs onto pine doors either, are you going to tell me that was also intended? No, there's no reason not to let them spring open and shut other than it being an obvious oversight.

There are plenty of silly, unrealistic things in game which should be addressed first.

However, having a type of door that can't be locked is a good thing. This allows having a type of door you install somewhere to prevent the whole locking fiasco from happening even if door replacement is simple as can be.

Locks have been terrible since they were released. The only time I've seen them used properly was for keeping a diesel engine safe instead of being whisked away to the abyss or shoved onto a shitty car. Basically, it's better to have options than to not.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#25 2019-12-30 23:24:23

Spoonwood

fug wrote:

Locks have been terrible since they were released. The only time I've seen them used properly was for keeping a diesel engine safe instead of being whisked away to the abyss or shoved onto a shitty car. Basically, it's better to have options than to not.

I spent a life in a low-pop town pre-rift with city walls and locked doors.

Also, when the server I was playing on got griefed repeatedly, some of my co-players made lock boxes and locked up tools inside of them.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

Board footer