One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-29 17:37:11

cavemansm

An issue with the lives amount and people running off as kids

Hello Jason

This is basically only adressed to you, not to people, but I want to make my point of view public (cause maybe there are people who will mark me as a villain here, who knows).
Can you please make it a bit less rewarding to run off?

There are waaay too many lives, seriously wtf 24 lives and new live every 10 minutes.
You can run out as kid and so on for an entire day and you still have lives left. Why are there so many lives? Who needs those ?
Can you please reduce the number of lifes to 10 and make it one life every 30 minutes ?  It would still be unlimited proper gaming, but  if someone would want to waste other people's time they would have a harder time with it.

Many times i happen to have a kid run off to die and then same player gets reborn in my hands and he obviously runs off and dies.  Cause some people see kiling ur score as a fun thing to do.
And also they have NO limit on how many lives they can spam.

For a player that wants to reset there is no difference if he uses /die or if he dies naturally.
Reducing the number of lives should in my opinion come together with penalting /die by 0.5 fitness while running off as infant 1.0
This would encourage people not to be fucking assholes - this needs to stop.

And GJ, just like that a problem can be reduced by 75% - i firmly believe it.

Last edited by cavemansm (2019-12-29 17:37:44)

#2 2019-12-29 17:52:35

Spoonwood

Re: An issue with the lives amount and people running off as kids

There was a new player who streamed his first lives during the sale under the old life limit which was 12 lives, with one coming back every ten minutes.  After that, or at least I tried to use the forums to report it, the life limit got increased to 24.  That new player didn't use /die or run away intentionally once.

That said, I agree that 'runner babies' makes for an issue.  But, life tokens probably won't affect them much either, or at least would have other bad consequences.  /die babies I think could get remedied by a choice screen.  Runner babies might also, but it's not quite so clear that such would help with them, as they might be people trying to actively kill off lineages.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-12-29 17:52:58)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#3 2019-12-29 18:47:03

ollj

the limit is a weak anti-grief measure.

early concepts of this game where called "one dollar one life", with much more expensive lifes and a slower pacing. silly jason.

#4 2019-12-29 18:54:22

cavemansm

Over hundret hours in the game and the lowest amount of lives i had was 18, a really bad luck to being born to a noob eve. (chain)

#5 2019-12-29 19:58:03

Punkypal

I know from testing that if you do /DIE a few times in a row, you lose less genetic score each time, so the penalty for genetic score loss is actually LESS the more you do it.

I'm not sure how much mothers are penalized. I often look at my score each life and usually I have no point change for nameless babies that do /DIE. Sometimes there is a small score loss. IDK what the exact differences are. It's usually not much to make a difference.

What really bothers me is that when your Mom births you in the middle of nowhere when she's traveling and just runs away and leaves you to die, and then you take a huge hit to your genetic score. WTF do I get penalized for dying when I have no possible way to even survive? That's crazy.

As for babies running off, Let them run I say! I'm usually trying to do something else. If they want to go kill themselves I don't even try to stop them. When they don't want to die I have to take their little butts into a town area. It wastes more of my time keeping them alive for 3 minutes, and I'll have to run back to where I was before again, during which time someone will likely take the cart I was using. For me it's usually about 10 minutes wasted per kid. I'm happy every time the bastards want to run.

I don't even follow babies around if they hop out of my arms and start exploring. I've multiple times started to leave and then baby comes running back screaming "F", "F", "F"! I'll pick them up and say, "If you don't want to die you should stay where your food is. I don't need to follow you to survive. If you bolt again, you better be ready to feed yourself!" I got zero time for babies that do anything to make it hard for me to keep them alive. If you jump out of my arms more than three times in a row, I likely won't pick you up anymore. My genetic score is high, I don't give a shit if you die. I never just abandon babies, but I don't waste a second worrying about babies that abandon me.

Last edited by Punkypal (2019-12-29 19:59:17)

Daily Updated Map of Player Structures: https://bit.ly/2UrfOQ9
Link to Many Beginner Guides: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNp6g7 … xcw/videos
Composting Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmgyl9evfhw
Diesel Engine Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sMX_GlwgbA

#6 2019-12-30 12:31:36

coriander

I've seen worse in this game's history, but I'm sure the current system can be improved. I don't experience too many baby deaths unless I'm in a particularly undesirable situation (loitering in the wild with no home, traveling to a faraway bell town, etc), but as long as 2-3 of my kids decide to stay I'd say I'm pretty happy.

#7 2019-12-30 12:33:56

JasonY

say "Curse my baby" whenever you get a runner. Or try to grab them and get them in a room to troll them.

Need Content

#8 2019-12-30 20:14:55

AmberA

IMO the way to solve this is to make babies not be able to run fast and add a short cooldown to jumping out of a parent's arms. Not only is it realistic but if babies cant outrun parents and slip out of their arm so often then using /die is the better option.

#9 2019-12-30 20:51:10

DestinyCall

Don't we already have that?   Babies are disabled from running at birth.   And your mom can grip you very tightly.

#10 2019-12-30 21:56:42

testo

Yesterday we got a respawning baby that kept saying "F" "U" to all the moms in my village. Man, was that annoying. Someone even stabbed the baby, cursed the baby, insulted the baby, we tried everything. But he kept coming. Gave me the best "griefers Eve" memories, there was nothing we could do. This needs a fix asap, since 24 lives are just too much to troll someone. I am 100% sure babies don´t get locked out of a mom birth once they /die which is the main problem and it doesn´t make sense to send the same baby to some mom he already rejected.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#11 2019-12-30 23:17:03

jcwilk

I've run out of lives a few times from /die spamming to try to get back to the right village a few lives in a row. Someone in the village had probably cursed me.

But yeah it shouldn't be possible for a bb under 3 to kill themselves, or there should be a significant penalty for doing so, presumably to meme score, or perhaps /die burns through 3 tokens or something like that... Otherwise /die spamming is way too attractive when you have 24 lives locked and loaded.

Probably about half the births i see end up being SID which is ridiculous.

And yeah, bbs can't move for the first bit but when they can they're extremely difficult to pick up. They should be forced to wait for a second in-between movements to make it so a mother can't be forced to endure the gene hit (SID affects the baby not the mother, running off affects both)

Anyone know whether SID or running off affect a mother's likelihood of giving birth again? I vaguely remember talk of bad mother points that only last through your own life when too many of your children die but I'm not sure if that was implemented or removed or whatever

#12 2019-12-31 00:04:21

Villas

O played a lot that week and running babies didn’t bothered me. Had 1 or 2, but I cursed them. Some of them are just new players, I just learned /die after 1 month playing. Just say to them “type slash die”, if they don’t you can curse them.

24 is too much to me as a veteran player, although it’s not the same for beginners, principally the slow ones. We have already had 6 life tokens limit, 12, 18 and whatnot, now it’s 24 and for beginners it’s amazing. Months ago 9/10 of the babies /die or ran away, nowadays it’s very rare so I think it’s ok, at least for now.

Edit: I also curse a lot, griefers, very suspicious people and annoying ones, so the reason to don’t get many running babies might be it. As far as I’m concerned, I can be born where they are (if they didn’t curse me, but I always hide to curse), but they can’t be born where I am. I do it because it increases the chance of having hard work people in the town I am, and less lazy, annoying people and griefers, even if I have to curse innocent people occasionally.

Last edited by Villas (2019-12-31 00:19:08)

#13 2019-12-31 01:15:17

AmberA

DestinyCall wrote:

Don't we already have that?   Babies are disabled from running at birth.   And your mom can grip you very tightly.

Yes but that ends pretty quickly and then the baby runs and can easily run off and be very hard to catch.

#14 2019-12-31 02:11:19

Villas

Babies should walk slowly, like when you murder someone. Makes sense and fix this problem.

#15 2019-12-31 03:43:04

testo

I insist, with or without cursing It doesn´t make sense to send the same baby to the same mom he already rejected. This still happens repeteadly.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#16 2019-12-31 14:37:28

Cantface

Villas wrote:

Babies should walk slowly, like when you murder someone. Makes sense and fix this problem.

Kidnapping would immediately be a huge issue, we can't have faith in people to not abuse it.

Breasticles

#17 2019-12-31 15:29:41

Villas

Cantface wrote:

Kidnapping would immediately be a huge issue, we can't have faith in people to not abuse it.

True. And the “follow moms” would let us starve as well. Welp.

#18 2019-12-31 16:18:56

Luniatji

The point isn't the kids running off, it is the mom's having a problem with it.

People can run for lots of different reasons. Disabeling them running/suiciding makes that they will stay and have a grudge against you even more.

Say, Alpha (Bb) don't like how the town looks and runs. Alpha's mom makes sure he cant run/suicide/something. But now you have a player who:  1. Didn't want to stay 2. Is forced to stay 3. Is now even less fond of your village so:
- Runs of when he got hair and starves
- Starts griefing out of annoyance.

But, what I said in the beginning: The point isn't the running. WHY should you want someone to stay in your village who don't want to be there and will not want to do things, or even worse starts griefing?

Because if he runs he stops you from having more babies/gives you a lower score overall. Why not give mom's free cursing? And no, I don't mean to curse everyone, but to curse her babies who run/suicide/are annoying otherwise? That way they can curse Alpha (And his also-runner brothers Beta, Charlie, Delta, Echo and Foxtrot. In stead of cursing only Alpha and "oh no you can't curse anymore.) Let mothers be able to curse there babies and that kid wont be able to spawn in a radius of 100 blocks around her for 30 days. If all moms curse a runner baby, he won't be able to spawn in towns and will be forced to Donkey Town, where they can happily run away as babies with other griefers. Give the "Curse my baby" unlimited uses and delete those babies from the counting for the highest score.

This way, they become there own problem and not your problem.

PS: Oh and if a griefer-mom curses all her babies effectivly (without reason), that person will send themselves to Donkey Town. You can't be born by someone who cursed you, but you also can't birth them I believe. Problem solved.

#19 2019-12-31 16:50:05

Villas

I totally agree with Luniatji, forcing someone who doesn’t want to stay is bad, they’ll probably grief the town somehow, even if by griefing I mean dying at age of four far from town (or in a restricted biome) with a full set of clothes.

Once I read, that when your newborn baby dies (except from SID), it gives you a “bad mom score”, the higher that score, the lower your chances of having babies. Of course, it also decreases your fit score, which might decreases your tool slots and your food bars when you’re old in future lives. Having free tokens to curse bad babies/ bad mothers sounds good to me.

Yesterday I was in a crazy town with a mother and daughter killing people, they ended up dead, but both of them were born again in the same town (only me, my mother and sister alive), my baby run with a full set of clothes and I couldn’t curse her because of no curse tokens (as I said I always curse griefers, annoying people and suspicious, since I can be born where they’re I might’ve cursed the same person multiple times), but my mother and sister did, although my niece was also one of the murders, but she only ran with a lot of stuff (full set of clothes and bp full of steel) when she was 3, so she could eat and ran further, I chased her for like ten years but managed to shot her with a bow that I found in a small camp, spent ten more years looking for her body (behind a tree) and more tens going back, thankfully I could curse her since I got a new token. When I arrived in town, my mother and sister had died of old age already and we had plenty of young people there, no one knew me since they were born after my departure.

#20 2019-12-31 17:31:01

Spoonwood

Luniatji wrote:

The point isn't the kids running off, it is the mom's having a problem with it.

People can run for lots of different reasons. Disabeling them running/suiciding makes that they will stay and have a grudge against you even more.

No.  Runner babies aren't the same a suiciding babies.  Suiciding babies isn't a problem, it's the moms who have a problem.  Runner babies on the other hand deliberately try to run for one reason or another.  Players aware of the mechanics who do so, do so in order to make it so that moms can't have children, since there's a birth cool down period that runner babies make it so that moms can't have children.  Again, babies that /die, that's fine.  Runner babies though probably intentionally try to mess up lineages.  Exceptions may exist, but still runner babies should stop and either /die, stay, or not play.

And by 'runner baby', I don't mean some child that emigrates from your town.  That's fine.  I mean one that runs around and tries to deliberately starve when young.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#21 2019-12-31 18:49:12

Luniatji

Spoonwood wrote:

No.  Runner babies aren't the same a suiciding babies.  Suiciding babies isn't a problem, it's the moms who have a problem.  Runner babies on the other hand deliberately try to run for one reason or another.  Players aware of the mechanics who do so, do so in order to make it so that moms can't have children, since there's a birth cool down period that runner babies make it so that moms can't have children.  Again, babies that /die, that's fine.  Runner babies though probably intentionally try to mess up lineages.  Exceptions may exist, but still runner babies should stop and either /die, stay, or not play.

Not by definition. You have runner babies who don't want to be by their mom (Because she cursed to them) or don't want to be the gender they have, but not by definition don't like the family. You ofcourse have the babies who scream "F!" while running around everyone, but I'm not sure thats the reason lots of ppl run. I sometimes run as a boy for example. Not because I hate the place of intentional think "Yeah, lets screw my mom!" but because there are seven boys and no girls. And yes, that will affect the mom.. but it effect the mom even more if she dies without giving girls, because then the town is doomed and not only her. And yes, I can just stay and let the mom be happy, but then the village dies and.. yeah. What is more important?

But, if ppl run away to screw lineages, for reasons like I do myself or for any other reason.. It mainly IS the mom's problem and not that of the kid. And my "Let a mom be able to curse all her babies who run away or screw on another way so they can't be reborn in her village, AND that takes away the lowering on 'bad mom score'/'score for tool slots'/'whatever other score it messes with'" solution working. The baby runs, you curse, he can't be reborn. Everyone happy.

Board footer