One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-28 15:33:13

enti0

Migratory Habits

I'm sort of an on-and-off player that comes on every few months and plays a couple of games.

Last session, I was a girl in a pretty large village (about 10-12 people? Seems large to me), and I wasn't really sure what to do...
That seems to be the case for most of my playthroughs now. A year back or so, and especially when the steam version came out, there seemed to be a clear goal in getting food, but it's a bit too easy now.
Anyway, when I got to adulthood, I heard a lot of people saying we had no water, so, I migrated east.

During the trip, I had two kids (not the one pictures, I think they died back at home-village.), one was a daughter I named after 'West', where we came from, and one was a boy I called 'East'. The random name-generator worked on them, and I think turned them into westlyn and eastin or something like that.
Anyway, once we finally found a place with water and a functioning well, we decided to set up. It's kind of like starting up a new eve camp, but with a load of the tools already made. Me being older, I made the fire so that I could spare the kids having to learn the tool slot. By luck, the daughter had triplet daughters, so I think the new family will last a couple generations more at least.
We all sort of huddled when I was getting old, talked a bit, we found some old pieces of paper and read them out, and that was the end of it for my run.

This is becoming one of my favourite ways to play. Not only does it not require any tools, so I'm a bit more free with what I do, but you can also encounter so many more new things, and different towns and so on. 
With food being basically a non-issue now, the difficulty from the game is more or less gone; the 'lose state' isn't really clear, and yes, if you run out of materials in your life, it could effect others, but... do you have to deal with it? And why don't the next generation migrate instead?

As a player who isn't a very committed person to the game, I feel like the reason to play is a bit unclear right now; that's probably why I'm finding this sort of exploratory play-style fascinating; again, it reminds me of making eve camps like a year ago, but far more easier to handle.

ohol_by_enti0_ddn63lb-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9NjYwIiwicGF0aCI6IlwvZlwvMGY0MmE2MmEtNzQ0NS00OTZlLTg5N2EtZjQwNDYwY2FiNzIyXC9kZG42M2xiLTlmYTIzMDdjLTU1ZDQtNDJiZC04OTdkLTIzYjIyZmJjNmQ3NS5wbmciLCJ3aWR0aCI6Ijw9MTI2MCJ9XV0sImF1ZCI6WyJ1cm46c2VydmljZTppbWFnZS5vcGVyYXRpb25zIl19.MvGJY_3Zd0g4ilhJTwTZWezyLZTtoqIjGpSzvFyDdYQ

To me, the rest of the gameplay loop sort of seems unnecessary, seeing as you're only going to be around for an hour anyway... perhaps this needs more attention? Maybe more reasons to connect players to the new tech/advanced crafting? What do other people think? I know that I see a lot of people making pumps/wells etc, I'd like to know what their reason-to-play is.

#2 2019-12-28 19:51:34

ollj

Re: Migratory Habits

i always move or ride east, gathering roadbuilding stuff, buuilding an endless road that you can not traverse full leght within 1 hour. As female this occasionally revives abandoned towns on the way, or it even founds great towns along a road where ever lots of wild berries exist, or i managew to get a player who builds a long road with me for an hour, pretty much in the middle of nowhere, till that segment connects to all the other segments.

only iff a baby is born in a place where it makes sernse to be stationary, and only if it neither says [m]om, [ h ]ome or [w]heres home, and if its smart enough to never abandon its only food source (wasting time making me move to the dumbfuck), it may live long enough to be a useful mule that carries clothing back to a bell town.
i get that roadbuilders usually get great clothes by age 20, from all the corpses along the track, and they easily stay on 4 yum, so the algorythm thinks, YES this person that only gathers stone with a horse must get 5 babies nonstop.
nope, thats just dumb and diistracting, my cart has rubber wheels, youre just a player thats born in the wrong place, go die elsewhere. often enough thugh i have no rubber wheels, and then a baby may just get to live.

its not worth feeding any selfish brat that keeps saying "mom, wheres home".
This is an attention whore, not worth wasting any time with.
ignoore them and they die at age 3, dont ignore them and they die at age 4. these are leeching players.

Last edited by ollj (2019-12-28 19:56:33)

#3 2019-12-28 20:12:31

Spoonwood

Survival is only half of the game.  Basically, the game is similar to Oxygen Not Included or Rimworld in that survival is half the game, but the game has other technological goals... just the technological goals in One Hour One Life aren't so clear as they are in Oxygen Not Included or Rimworld.

jasonrohrer wrote:

"If we had to start over from scratch, but kept all of our knowledge, how long would it take us to get back to iPhones?" where iPhones are a placeholder for whatever sufficiently advanced tech we can imagine.

So, basically a purpose of the game lies in making the most advanced technology that you can or taking part in such a project or being part of an intergenerational project to make advanced technology (an experienced Eve won't make anything that she finds all that advanced, but will lay the groundwork so that others can do so).  What such technology means varies on the player's knowledge and ability in game I suppose.  For an absolute beginner, perhaps it's making an axe or a shallow well or maybe making fire or perhaps even something simpler.  For a little more experienced players perhaps it's a deep well or iron mine or a bucket or a crt.  Or a newcomen pump.  For more advanced players it's an oil rig or engine.  Perhaps a camera also.  For rather experienced players, it's probably one of the radios (or at least it would be if they couldn't so easily get griefed).  For the most experienced players it's all that it's involved in town development so that others can survive or make some replacement for 'iPhones' or just for the beauty of making towns in the game (as happens when experienced players play in a low pop context).

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#4 2019-12-28 20:24:46

Keyin

Yeah Jason really should take food bonus back to where it was in the past.

With +4 food to each food item and overfill survival to 60 is even more trivial.
The only reason we can have continuous up trend in gene score is due to the /DIE babies bringing their average low enough to provide score when they do decide to stick around. People who never die provide insignificant score or take away score when they do happen to die by accident.

Back on topic of migration, after a while it becomes tiring to watch every new town die because one female from the family went back to bell town. People leave town because there's no water, yet there's tons of goose-ponds within a few hundred tiles that can be carted in, and enough food stockpiled to last at least a generation. Heck, with +4 bonus it doesn't take many wild berry bushes to sustain one person.

Last edited by Keyin (2019-12-28 20:27:41)

#5 2019-12-28 20:26:15

Spoonwood

Here's an example video with a tour of some towns to show much of what's possible in the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MsAJT8H5Lbg&t=1354s

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#6 2019-12-28 22:08:20

jcwilk

Always go west IMO. East is likely towards old cities which probably have gutted resources and are dangerous for new players (many of your descendants will be new players) since they won't realize how far they have to run to find food when they're surrounded by what seems to be a rich, albeit empty, city. Also the eve spiral will continue to go further and further from you and eventually it will be too far to reach or be reached by other families, and then it just takes one griefer to end everything.

If you go west then eventually the eve spiral will catch up with you, or you'll catch up with it, and you'll be nearby to wherever the current bell is and are less likely to have your village abandoned and die out (unless they choose to abandon it which they might regardless)

Board footer