One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-25 10:32:01

Vexenie

Glasses and sight problems

Okay, right now, every player has the same abilities aka no disabilities.
What if we added a disability, that makes the game a bit harder if you get it or develops, but isn't such a pain.

I propose sight problems.
With what we have now, we could make glasses.

There will be different sight problems: one you get from birth and the other you get as you age.

How does it work? It's blurry on the edges of the screen, maybe 1,5-2 tiles.
This can be negated with glasses, prescrption glasses to be exact.

You can make regular glasses too for everyone to wear, but a normal person wearing prescrption glasses will have their vision warped on the edges of the screen.

I'm tired of writing now, since I'm writing on a phone.

I enjoy the simpler things in life, but only if I'm calm.

#2 2019-12-25 11:02:55

Spoonwood

Re: Glasses and sight problems

Who writes the prescription?

That asked, I'm not in favor of this idea.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-12-25 11:03:23)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#3 2019-12-25 12:49:58

fug

Why?

Every time I hear disability suggestions I question why you'd play that life. Just kill yourself and get a normal life where the game isn't screwy.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#4 2019-12-25 12:53:12

Lava

I think we had enough of impairment these past 5-6 months. Its time to actually add things to the game rather than bend the existing content to make it harder.

#5 2019-12-25 12:57:18

Keyin

fug wrote:

Why?

Every time I hear disability suggestions I question why you'd play that life. Just kill yourself and get a normal life where the game isn't screwy.

Exactly, at least suggest things that have a + and - like

Fast metabolism: your hunger consumed faster but you move faster
Slow metabolism: hunger consumed slower but you move slower
Big brain: extra tool slots but hunger consumed faster

#6 2019-12-25 16:00:39

Legs

I thought about this when wine was added. More uses for glass. Why not add glasses as a clothing item? Not to remove a disability but to improve vision. Takes up the hat slot and functions similarly to the zoom mod.

Zoom mod in vanilla is a highly requested update and this would solve it nicely. Not as the default but as a bonus you can earn with certain tech. Tired of being nearsighted? Get some glasses and you can see twice as far as normal!

Loco Motion

#7 2019-12-25 16:25:00

FulmenTheFinn

No.

Eve Whiskey, i.e. "Whisler".

Add zoom and hotkeys to the base game (see Hetuw mod) to improve the popularity of the game.

#8 2019-12-25 16:27:02

Roblor

Didn't somebody allready suggest this?!
I distinctly remember reading a post about this before!

Last edited by Roblor (2019-12-25 19:32:30)

IT PUTS ÞE BERRY IN ÞE BASKET OR ELSE IT GETS ÞE HOSE AGAIN !

#9 2019-12-25 16:28:12

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Just sounds like a reason to /die

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#10 2019-12-25 18:26:59

Kinrany

fug wrote:

Why?

Yeah, how would this improve the game?

There could be a large list of disabilities. Everyone would be born with one. Like Rimworld.

You'd still /die until you find an acceptable combination of disabilities and other things, like skin color and tech level. You already kinda do.
The more independent random properties there are, the less you gain by rerolling.

#11 2019-12-25 21:56:16

Cantface

We already messed with races can we not mess with disabilities? That would be great.

Breasticles

#12 2019-12-25 22:03:00

WalrusesConquer

Unlike in real life where if you have a disability or have sight issues, you're stuck with it, ohol you can just be reborn. So even if you get a slight buff most people would opt for tje easier route

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#13 2019-12-25 22:22:41

testo

Why would we stop at sight disabilities? We should add others!

- Limb disability: (you move 50% slower because a leg disability, craftable cane allows you to speed up to 75%)
- Deafness: can´t read any message from other players (craftable microspeaker allows you to see messages)
Mental dissorder dissability:
- You see everyone with a knife in hand in attack mode all time (paranoid)
- You see fake bot players that nobody else sees that talk to you (schizophrenia)

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#14 2019-12-26 00:44:10

Dantox

For now i dont think the game needs more restrictions to the players, we already cant step into certain biomes, have limited uses for tools, language barriers and family specialization that locks craft recipes, i honestly dont want to also deal with sight problems when the game is zoomed horribly. i would just /die

If we want difficulty we could add diseases or pollution to punish careless treatment of supplies and resources to make towns more organized and also have challenges to fight against

make bread, no war

#15 2019-12-26 04:41:05

Carrot-Seedling

Can we have people randomly be awesome at something sometimes? Then we'd have babies with ultra speaking or the Temperature Immune Boy or the one really fat guy who eats once every ten minutes.

You have now laid eyes upon the one and only Raidan Allcock on the leaderboards. tongue

#16 2019-12-26 06:33:09

JasonY

What if the disability stays with you until you cure it. So even if you suicide, You will still have it.

Need Content

#17 2019-12-26 06:57:27

DestinyCall

JasonY wrote:

What if the disability stays with you until you cure it. So even if you suicide, You will still have it.

Even better - disabilities stack if they are uncured.    Die too many times in a row and you become a freaky one-eyed humpback with a club foot and a hare lip.

Your mother will scream and pass out when she sees you.

#18 2019-12-26 07:08:01

Mekkie

DestinyCall wrote:
JasonY wrote:

Even better - disabilities stack if they are uncured.    Die too many times in a row and you become a freaky one-eyed humpback with a club foot and a hare lip.

Your mother will scream and pass out when she sees you.

Strange urge to play Crusader Kings 2 now...  xD

#19 2019-12-26 14:15:09

ollj

all of this is silly and distracting, too off topic gameplay wise.

#20 2019-12-26 14:35:24

Gogo
Banned

I would just die. I'm suiciding because of more trivial things.

#21 2019-12-27 04:14:01

Punkypal

The only good reason i can see for this  would be as a deterrent to people excessively using /die. You have 24 lives, get down below 12 or whatever and there is a chance you'll get some disability. At only 1 life out of 24 there would be 100% chance born disabled.

If this is added only to make the game harder without any corrective or positive think connected, I think we can do without. I really have no need to add a Russian roulette "what game am I even playing this time" aspect to the game.

If you want to make the game harder for you, think of your own creative ways to do that on your own. Feel free to play the game at home with one arm tied behind your back, or tape a piece of wax paper over your screen. Maybe turn the sound off. Better yet, everytime someone murders you in game, just slam your face into a wall. Mmmmmm'kay?

Daily Updated Map of Player Structures: https://bit.ly/2UrfOQ9
Link to Many Beginner Guides: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNp6g7 … xcw/videos
Composting Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmgyl9evfhw
Diesel Engine Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sMX_GlwgbA

#22 2019-12-27 04:41:16

fug

Punkypal wrote:

The only good reason i can see for this  would be as a deterrent to people excessively using /die. You have 24 lives, get down below 12 or whatever and there is a chance you'll get some disability. At only 1 life out of 24 there would be 100% chance born disabled.

If this is added only to make the game harder without any corrective or positive think connected, I think we can do without. I really have no need to add a Russian roulette "what game am I even playing this time" aspect to the game.

If you want to make the game harder for you, think of your own creative ways to do that on your own. Feel free to play the game at home with one arm tied behind your back, or tape a piece of wax paper over your screen. Maybe turn the sound off. Better yet, everytime someone murders you in game, just slam your face into a wall. Mmmmmm'kay?

Why not solve the actual issue with why people /die instead of punishing people for using it?

Putting up a life limit may have stopped people from being like me having 150+ deaths in a day but that was due to a bunch of different things such as helping otherwise bypass bans, playing in places invested in, and other reasons.

I think if he would have just went with the life choice screen people who wanted random lives could have ignored it just like they ignore spamming /die.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#23 2019-12-27 06:19:30

Punkypal

fug wrote:

Why not solve the actual issue with why people /die instead of punishing people for using it?

Well you could do that. As you put it, /DIE is a solution to a problem. But it is a solution that is also a problem, setting up a situation for a very tasty problem sandwich!

People overusing /DIE can thus be solved from either side, either addressing the reasons, or discouraging it's use. Now, addressing the reasons seems like a tricky task to accomplish as the reasons seem many-fold, almost too numerous to fathom.  Yes, a "life choice" screen may solve many of these problems (and I'd support such an option), but it can't solve all the reasons people overuse /DIE.

Case in point: I notice I have babies /DIE way more often if I'm outside of a town than if I'm in a town. They don't even wait for me to say anything. I could literally be two steps outside the town limits picking a wild berry and they just assume I'm a homeless drifter in the deepest depths of the wilderness. IDFK. I always laugh and hope they did /DIE because they wanted to be born back into the town that was literally one screen away and they killed themselves and went to an Eve out on the edge of the known world instead. Losers!

On the flip side, reducing the number of times you can do /DIE, or as I would prefer, just a sliding scale of discouragement, would equally address all uses of /DIE.

Prevention or punishment? The age old question. Prevention is so very much harder to pull off, and fear of punishment just doesn't work on some people because they are stubborn mules or DGAF. Punishment is quick and easy solution and has the side benefit of feeling good, because humans enjoy it when people who do things they don't like suffer! BUT often when you use punishment as a deterrent that often leads to other unforeseen side problems. It's a wack a mole game.

But sometimes when you play "wack a mole" you get enough tickets to get that cool rainbow slinky at the prize booth. Who doesn't like a rainbow colored slinky?

Last edited by Punkypal (2019-12-27 06:23:56)

Daily Updated Map of Player Structures: https://bit.ly/2UrfOQ9
Link to Many Beginner Guides: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNp6g7 … xcw/videos
Composting Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmgyl9evfhw
Diesel Engine Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sMX_GlwgbA

#24 2019-12-27 06:55:26

fug

Punkypal wrote:
fug wrote:

Well you could do that. As you put it, /DIE is a solution to a problem. But it is a solution that is also a problem, setting up a situation for a very tasty problem sandwich!

People overusing /DIE can thus be solved from either side, either addressing the reasons, or discouraging it's use. Now, addressing the reasons seems like a tricky task to accomplish as the reasons seem many-fold, almost too numerous to fathom.  Yes, a "life choice" screen may solve many of these problems (and I'd support such an option), but it can't solve all the reasons people overuse /DIE.

Case in point: I notice I have babies /DIE way more often if I'm outside of a town than if I'm in a town. They don't even wait for me to say anything. I could literally be two steps outside the town limits picking a wild berry and they just assume I'm a homeless drifter in the deepest depths of the wilderness. IDFK. I always laugh and hope they did /DIE because they wanted to be born back into the town that was literally one screen away and they killed themselves and went to an Eve out on the edge of the known world instead. Losers!

On the flip side, reducing the number of times you can do /DIE, or as I would prefer, just a sliding scale of discouragement, would equally address all uses of /DIE.

Prevention or punishment? The age old question. Prevention is so very much harder to pull off, and fear of punishment just doesn't work on some people because they are stubborn mules or DGAF. Punishment is quick and easy solution and has the side benefit of feeling good, because humans enjoy it when people who do things they don't like suffer! BUT often when you use punishment as a deterrent that often leads to other unforeseen side problems. It's a wack a mole game.

But sometimes when you play "wack a mole" you get enough tickets to get that cool rainbow slinky at the prize booth. Who doesn't like a rainbow colored slinky?

I mean clearly punishment doesn't work otherwise we wouldn't see so many sids deaths in every lineage. Look at a fresh eve or look at the bottom roots of every dead lineage. You almost always see 75%+ of the deaths solely being sids deaths.

Either there needs to be a real reward for living a life such as the ability to be reborn to an area, or something ignoring meme score since that'll just be abuse (I myself have been first multiple times for just knowing how to cheat the system + it's going to be cheated as long as exploits exists/tools are tied to it.)

Just limiting /die won't suddenly fix the issue with babies killing themselves as instead of bunch of bones spawning you'll have people kill themselves as babies then quit if they can't get what they're reaching for. When /die isn't attractive you see runner babies and generally speaking the runners are worse for everyone.

We currently have some sort of reward for not dying for normies (you get points!!!111!) but clearly this isn't something shiny or great for people who are smart enough to abuse the system.

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#25 2019-12-27 12:23:43

Lum

The only use is roleplay, and people on the forums have an absolute hatred of roleplay. I guess OHOL just isn't the game for this, though I would love to see a similar game have such features.

ign: summerstorm, they/them

Board footer