One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-12-26 05:48:15

pein

Re: What do you guys think should be next focus for the game?

ai trade to  get rid of excess and buy stuff that can't be gotten elsewhere

questing for resources or shrines like 2hol had

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#27 2019-12-27 23:13:27

Galafalachida

JonySky wrote:

Improve the game engine to:
Add Spring, Summer, Autumn, Winter
Add shared transport
Dynamic events (new trees grow, new wells appear, areas that become desertic, mass animal migrations, forest fires)
Rivers and seas
Diseases and medications
Balancing the technological tree (if we have airplanes we should not have an adobe forge)
Remove the limited skill boxes

I would play the game for 100 more hours more
I love this suggestion.

Im just here to soak up the juicy drama ; )

#28 2019-12-27 23:18:32

Galafalachida

Wuatduhf wrote:

What I personally believe Jason's focuses need to be at next:

1) Player "Policing" tools; Baton, Guillotine, Stockade, Gallows, etc. etc.

I like this

Last edited by Galafalachida (2019-12-27 23:18:46)

#29 2019-12-29 23:15:55

Tempted

Dantox wrote:

The year is now ending and assuming that jason will keep developing OHOL until the end of the next year theres is a lot of opportunity to expand regarding content since a lot of bug fixing has been done in the last few months (lets not talk about all those months wasted on the rift and sword, its pure PTSD)

What would you like to see?

Personally, i would prefer to see some upgrades to stations to make chores more easier or less time-consuming for end-game towns to give more space to expansion and building. Also more steel-based structures and oil-based buildings for progression.

Also trains. Come on guys, we have the technology (we really dont but i guess it could be done within a year time so)

Mixed race bbs determined by the number of other race people of the opposite sex around you. It happens irl so why not in game? You have a town with two races, then mixed babies should start popping up.

Last edited by Tempted (2019-12-29 23:17:56)

#30 2019-12-30 00:08:22

Punkypal

Tempted wrote:

Mixed race bbs determined by the number of other race people of the opposite sex around you. It happens irl so why not in game? You have a town with two races, then mixed babies should start popping up.

I would say the reason is that it's an intentional game mechanic to make different races, and thus create a certain type of gameplay. Building in something that counteracts this intentionally introduced game mechanic doesn't seem to make sense. If Jason was going to do this, why not just remove different races?

It's like saying, let's give all players 5 extra tool slots, but lets have a tool slot tax that takes extra tool slots away. Running more code to do nothing doesn't seem like a good idea. Seems like the kind of thing that creates server lag. IDK.

Daily Updated Map of Player Structures: https://bit.ly/2UrfOQ9
Link to Many Beginner Guides: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNp6g7 … xcw/videos
Composting Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmgyl9evfhw
Diesel Engine Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sMX_GlwgbA

#31 2019-12-30 00:29:59

Villas

Punkypal wrote:

I would say the reason is that it's an intentional game mechanic to make different races, and thus create a certain type of gameplay. Building in something that counteracts this intentionally introduced game mechanic doesn't seem to make sense. If Jason was going to do this, why not just remove different races?

It's like saying, let's give all players 5 extra tool slots, but lets have a tool slot tax that takes extra tool slots away. Running more code to do nothing doesn't seem like a good idea. Seems like the kind of thing that creates server lag. IDK.

WTF are you talking about dude?
He’s talking about creating more races, the mixed ones, where a half of the family is what and the other half is black for example. So the mixed race would have a different skin tone and the hability to go in deserts and snows (if the mix is ginger and black).

It’s not coding for nothing, it would make the game more realistic and vary. Also it won’t create server lag since 99,99% of the stuff to make that would be client sided and not server sided.

Also not everything is intentional, Jason is testing stuff, like he did with the Rift and Swords months ago and then removed them. Having mixed babies would solve a big problem and also makes the game more realistic.

#32 2019-12-30 01:25:14

Punkypal

Villas wrote:
Punkypal wrote:

He’s talking about creating more races, the mixed ones, where a half of the family is what and the other half is black for example. So the mixed race would have a different skin tone and the hability to go in deserts and snows (if the mix is ginger and black).

It’s not coding for nothing, it would make the game more realistic and vary. Also it won’t create server lag since 99,99% of the stuff to make that would be client sided and not server sided.

Also not everything is intentional, Jason is testing stuff, like he did with the Rift and Swords months ago and then removed them. Having mixed babies would solve a big problem and also makes the game more realistic.

WTF are you talking about? So If I'm born mixed race, then I have the abilities of every race that's in my village, right? So if all 4 races are in a village then I guess every baby is 25% of each and has all abilities. I'm assuming then that all babies going forward will be the same every race baby. Thus basically that town has eliminated the race differences. Before long these "every race" babies will travel around and have babies. Geez, how many generations until every person is a 4 way mixed race? So we have the code for each race, and then more code to make every player every race, i.e. the same as their just being no races.

Or are y'all suggesting that randomly sometimes these "all race" people would produce a single race or even only dual race baby that loses most/many of the benefits their parent has? So every time I'm born there is a chance I'll be a "super human" or a limited one with as much as 75% less advantages. Even if you limit the max to 2 races in the mix, you are still basically asking for two kinds of humans. Either you get born as a regular human, or a dual-race super-human.

Yes that sounds very brilliant. I was just saying how nobody ever uses the /DIE command. That should give a very noticeable bump to the baby suicide rate. Then again, all the parents who leave their single race babies to die because they aren't super babies might just balance that out. I look forward to all the times I'll be left to starve until I'm finally born an acceptable multi-racial baby. Or is everyone ALWAYS born a multi race? What about Eve's? If realism is such a concern, tell me what would a black-ginger look like vs a black-blondie?

How can you say, "Not everything is intentional" and apply it to this? Are you suggesting the different races are some kind of bug and Jason added them by accident? When he drew the art for each skin tone he was trying to draw something else, like an ironing board, or a turnip? When he wrote a forum post describing how he is intentionally added this to the game, that was just 1000 monkeys randomly typing on keyboards, but instead of writing Shakespeare, they wrote a coherent post about a OHOL update? Amazing!

How would it not involve more coding? Would Jason just ask the program nicely to do this on it's own accord? Even if it has negligible effect on lag, it's still more code to run. More places a bug could hide. Lag at server end or player end is still lag, and I've played many times where the game became literally unplayable because as much as a 15-20 delay. So, I don't know where that's falling or what triggers it, but until Jason does get that sorted out, I don't think adding more code, of any length, that has the sole purpose of making other code mean nothing is the best thing.

You want more realistic? Explain to me why it takes about 5 years to make one piece of paper.

Or better yet, we have a game where no sex is required, and no males even need to be present for a female to pop out a baby at any time between the ages of 14 to 40, and the part of that you're hung up on is that all these "virgin births" only produce the same race as the mother? That's the least absurd part of it.

Last edited by Punkypal (2019-12-30 01:57:38)

Link to Many Beginner Guides: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNp6g7 … xcw/videos

#33 2019-12-30 02:54:51

Villas

Punkypal wrote:
Villas wrote:
Punkypal wrote:

WTF are you talking about? So If I'm born mixed race, then I have the abilities of every race that's in my village, right? So if all 4 races are in a village then I guess every baby is 25% of each and has all abilities. I'm assuming then that all babies going forward will be the same every race baby. Thus basically that town has eliminated the race differences. Before long these "every race" babies will travel around and have babies. Geez, how many generations until every person is a 4 way mixed race? So we have the code for each race, and then more code to make every player every race, i.e. the same as their just being no races.

Or are y'all suggesting that randomly sometimes these "all race" people would produce a single race or even only dual race baby that loses most/many of the benefits their parent has? So every time I'm born there is a chance I'll be a "super human" or a limited one with as much as 75% less advantages. Even if you limit the max to 2 races in the mix, you are still basically asking for two kinds of humans. Either you get born as a regular human, or a dual-race super-human.

Yes that sounds very brilliant. I was just saying how nobody ever uses the /DIE command. That should give a very noticeable bump to the baby suicide rate. Then again, all the parents who leave their single race babies to die because they aren't super babies might just balance that out. I look forward to all the times I'll be left to starve until I'm finally born an acceptable multi-racial baby. Or is everyone ALWAYS born a multi race? What about Eve's? If realism is such a concern, tell me what would a black-ginger look like vs a black-blondie?

How can you say, "Not everything is intentional" and apply it to this? Are you suggesting the different races are some kind of bug and Jason added them by accident? When he drew the art for each skin tone he was trying to draw something else, like an ironing board, or a turnip? When he wrote a forum post describing how he is intentionally added this to the game, that was just 1000 monkeys randomly typing on keyboards, but instead of writing Shakespeare, they wrote a coherent post about a OHOL update? Amazing!

How would it not involve more coding? Would Jason just ask the program nicely to do this on it's own accord? Even if it has negligible effect on lag, it's still more code to run. More places a bug could hide. Lag at server end or player end is still lag, and I've played many times where the game became literally unplayable because as much as a 15-20 delay. So, I don't know where that's falling or what triggers it, but until Jason does get that sorted out, I don't think adding more code, of any length, that has the sole purpose of making other code mean nothing is the best thing.

You want more realistic? Explain to me why it takes about 5 years to make one piece of paper.

Or better yet, we have a game where no sex is required, and no males even need to be present for a female to pop out a baby at any time between the ages of 14 to 40, and the part of that you're hung up on is that all these "virgin births" only produce the same race as the mother? That's the least absurd part of it.

Exactly!
At the beginning it just an Eve, they can’t even make a large fire, but they develop their town untill the point they can. Same thing with biome restrictions, at the beginning we can’t go everywhere, but then we develop our town, mix races untill the point we can go everywhere.

“The Code” isn’t a big deal, I’m a programmer and I know where I’m talking about. We have functions and whatnot, I’m sure Jason is a good programmer and very organized.
Lets suppose each race is represented by a number, ginger = 1, black = 2 ... mix ginger and black = 7...
If (race == 7){
canWalkOnDesert = true;
canWalkOnSnow = true;
};

It’s just an example, just so you see he will write less than 1KB of code, since all the functions are already ready.

What I think would be harder is drawing all those mixed races.

And it’s not being Superman, I play it for 1 year now and all that time everyone could walk everywhere, people are complaining a whole lot about the biome restrictions, so adding mixed races would be a solution for that, so if we have a multicultural town, with the past of time we would have the knowledge to explore all the biomes.

You might be a new player and started playing with that biome restrictions, but when he drew all the characters, all of them could go everywhere. Since then he is testing a lot of stuff, we had a mutation system, where a ginger mother could give birth to a brown baby and whatnot. This biome restriction is very recent and it’s being tested as well.

If you are afraid of updates, because it might lag the server, so it’s better to Jason stop adding new features like he was doing weekly, since the code will laag the server it’s better to stop now and leave the game as it is. Also, just because we take five years to make a paper, three years to make pie, doesn’t mean we can ask more realistic things such as mixed races, it won’t hurt anyone. I’m not even asking it now, just saying it would be a good addition to the game, since he adds new stuff weekly anyway.

#34 2019-12-30 07:20:47

Punkypal

OK, I concede the issue on the lag then, I trust you that it's insignificant.

I started before the race update, and I honestly think it's a good addition to gameplay.

HOWEVER

I do see how a race not being present in a town causes towns to fail. At the same time I see large towns that manage to last for days. They manage to get the diverse races they need. What usually causes any town that is large and has a bell to attract people to end up failing? Usually coordinated murder griefing of a target race. So one thing races did do that is bad is make a more enjoyable goal for a murder griefer to go after. Just randomly killing someone isn't much fun, but eliminating all the needed gingers from a town is a much more valuable accomplishment. So different races is just one of the things I've been talking about that make the griefer's experience more fun.

So we could go in a round-about way of essentially eliminating races, which I still think is silly and will be confusing for newer players. Just think of the game guides: "Depending on where the game is along an arc, either there will be races with different attributes, or not!". Everyone will rage anytime the arc is reset, because we all will be single race again, which likely will mean someone will want to bring the apocalypse only more often.

Or Jason can address some of the issues and tweak the race differences. Now first of all, the more you say races make it hard to keep a city running, the more I think that's exactly what he wants to hear. He wants it to be hard to keep a big town going. One of the hardest things about it is not having enough people to run it. I personally like it when there is only one major bell town, maybe a couple smaller satellite towns, and the a scattering of small settlements. It seems without the race restriction limitation there could be 15 different hamlets all running for days easily because they all could have no problem getting what they needed and nobody would have reason to head to a bigger town. I don't like that. I think there should be reason for people to head into the big town, and the small little villages should run their course and have to migrate, or do the hard work to get all races to visit at least long enough to set up some of the things the town needs.

The problem also is the murder griefing. At low pop times, even the biggest city is vulnerable, and once you loose all races, it's even harder to start it back up again. So I still think Jason needs to address the fact that Curses do nothing. I know the people that are the sneaky griefers still will do their thing and not get noticed or cursed, but stabbing someone in the middle of town does get noticed, as often does baby kidnapping. The worst of the murder griefers will get tagged and should see some kind of level of being booted off that server at least.

Then I think Jason should make adjustments to what races can do that would accomplish two things. 1) Allow races to do things that a town requires, but in such a way that they can help a town survive even if their race isn't present for a while. I had suggested in another thread things like the ability to build out resource sites so others could gather for a period of time once the site is developed by the appropriate race. I was also thinking that maybe snake boots should allow anyone to walk in desert like the blacks can. Perhaps snowboots can be made for snow biome, and a jungle boot for jungle naturally. 2) the other thing is make races do things that are fun. Right now, he only made it so races CAN'T do things. He only took away what people could already do. I can see how that's annoying. But It would be worth it more if the penalties could be reduced like I suggest in part 1 but also each race gets some kind of improvement on things everyone can do. Maybe gingers are better farmers, blacks better at mining, etc. In this way, it shouldn't be nearly as hard for a single race town to survive, but a diverse town will survive much easier.

Another problem honestly is I think we are still spreading out too fast. Doing more to discourage murder griefers (again) from killing off an entire family line by taking out the last couple females would slow down Eve spawns a little. Maybe balance how babies are being born so we don't see one family with half the server population while another dies out because they get almost zero offspring. Finally I think maybe the zig-zag of the Eve spawn should go a bit more North and then South each time before it jumps over more West. The further out people keep spawning, the harder it is to get the races you need. Especially if 100% of that race is on the wild west because some guy killed all the ones in the East. This is part of the problem too. If this gets addressed, not having needed races in town won't be a problem nearly as often.

Anyway, we have shown that we can build up towns and keep them going for quite a while, even with the race restrictions as we have now. The only two things that keep them from lasting at least twice as long is overspreading out of the population and unchecked murder griefing, which if that could be curtailed, and if elimination of one race from a town wasn't practically an instant death sentence for that town, then we would be doing just fine with the races.

So in a nutshell, I'd rather see Jason do something to FIX why races are such a problem and aren't working out to make the game better, instead of just scrapping them or nerfing them in such as way that he may as well remove them.

If he was to add any more race stuff, I'd prefer to see lakes/seas added, and introduce an "Asian" race that had advantages with boats and any sea related stuff (and still reduce the hard and continuous dependence a town has for certain races).

Last edited by Punkypal (2019-12-30 07:28:53)

#35 2019-12-30 10:34:49

petaldancing

first step is to either remove the specialization garbage from the game, or tweak it so that it only affects less mandatory items like food.

ଘ(੭ˊᵕˋ)੭━☆゚.*・。゚ specialization update is trash

#36 2019-12-30 11:50:59

JasonY

petaldancing wrote:

first step is garbage

Need Content

#37 2019-12-30 12:36:36

petaldancing

JasonY wrote:
petaldancing wrote:

first step is garbage

that's what he'll end up implementing in reality, yes.

ଘ(੭ˊᵕˋ)੭━☆゚.*・。゚ specialization update is trash

#38 2019-12-30 20:24:44

AmberA

I'd love to see an official marriage system and an official child adoption system.

#39 2020-01-05 08:32:53

Gogo
Banned

Towns need more things to be build. Winery is one thing that is now common. There should be more and more, before town runs out of nearest recources, to point it need to be abandoned, everything is developed, so boredom comes. We can make towns bigger, but finally there isn't any more content that can be put to new spaces.

#40 2020-01-05 12:24:02

Kinrany

There is only one serious threat: hunger. (Also griefers, but they're super random and not even an official part of the game.)

Hunger is basically a time limit. The town has a few hours to upgrade the well. It's really rare that the threat of running out of food in the next hour is both real and avoidable.

From the perspective of making the game more fun, I wish there were more immediate threats. Natural disasters, actually dangerous animals, actively harmful pollution.

#41 2020-01-05 14:22:51

Spoonwood

Kinrany wrote:

From the perspective of making the game more fun, I wish there were more immediate threats. Natural disasters, actually dangerous animals, actively harmful pollution.

So the game is rather samey in terms of the threats it poses.  I think I would agree that the game definitely could be better in terms of the diversity of threats it poses.  I would hesitate though to say that the game needs to be more challenging for new players, though admittedly, that's something difficult to assess, and I don't know how much them dying dissuades them from playing.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#42 2020-01-05 14:55:48

karltown_veteran

YannaChan wrote:

marriage and mixed babies because of marriage

YES
also new characters

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#43 2020-01-05 15:41:27

Galafalachida

DestinyCall wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

Jony has good ideas.  Also, not likely to happen ideas.

Not likely to happen ideas are my favorite kind of ideas.

Sigh, Same

Board footer