One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-18 21:09:05

Keyin

"round robbin" births aren't working

From what I can tell, the current system isn't working evidence being most families last less than a day.
If they were working, we'd expect some families to last for many days.

There are multiple factors:

1) Birth delay may be too long- Birth delay was increased for steampocalypse 2.0, meaning more moms are needed for same amount of BBs

2)Reduction of forced females- Previously, almost all BBs were born female to insure at least one survives

3)Over extension during peak hours- I played at a time where there was about  4 players/family (about 5pm pst?)

There are doubtlessly more I am missing, like people purposefully killing off their own family.

My opinion is the system should be removed and we should go back to families competing for babies like the old days. Now when we have just one female she is basically guaranteed to get a baby, no need to worry about yum. Families are going to die out anyway, so if two paths lead to the same outcome it is simpler to go back to old way.

#2 2019-12-18 21:16:10

DestinyCall

Re: "round robbin" births aren't working

If we don't know why families are dying out, shouldn't we investigate that more closely first? 

If we are going to test rolling back a feature, I would point at family specializations as a likely culprit, since no water kills towns.

#3 2019-12-18 21:18:12

sigmen4020

Yeah, would be nice to get some stats again about why families aren’t lasting before we think about a solution.

Let’s identify the problem before thinking of a solution.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#4 2019-12-18 21:36:23

Keyin

DestinyCall wrote:

If we don't know why families are dying out, shouldn't we investigate that more closely first? 

If we are going to test rolling back a feature, I would point at family specializations as a likely culprit, since no water kills towns.

I listed a few reasons why I believe they're dying out.

I don't think family specialization kills families. The only time I've seen a dry well "kill" a family is when the kids all look at the dry well and go "Well, this town is doomed" *proceeds to walk just outside of town and starve self*

sigmen4020 wrote:

Yeah, would be nice to get some stats again about why families aren’t lasting before we think about a solution.

Let’s identify the problem before thinking of a solution.

I am not trying to solve families dying out... my main point is, if they are dying out regardless, it is better to use simpler birthing mechanics (if two paths lead to the same outcome, take the path of least resistance)

#5 2019-12-18 21:59:37

DestinyCall

If you don't expect your change to fix the problem, then it is simplest to do nothing at all.

I'd rather work on a viable solution.

#6 2019-12-18 22:18:44

Keyin

Well, when low pop happens all families are on equal footing regardless of how warm/yum the moms go.

So in theory going back to the old way would give established families a strong advantage during low pop, meaning one or two families will usually be a 2-5 days old like before the rift, with a ton more early fams that die out.

I advocate going back to the old way so that families can compete more during low pop with yum/clothes

Board footer