One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-17 17:40:26

Spoonwood

Old Milkweed System Vs. New Milkweed System

Someone on the discord posted an image of how milkweed use to work.  To me, the old system looked better than the current one.  For players who played with both systems which do you think works out better for the game and why?

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#2 2019-12-17 17:47:42

Starknight_One

Re: Old Milkweed System Vs. New Milkweed System

I liked the mini-game of picking milkweed at the optimal time (if I needed seeds) or not (if I just needed thread). But I understand why it was changed, since most players don't pay attention to the game for more than 10 seconds at a time. It's most likely they don't even realize that the milkweed goes through three different stages - they probably think they're just three different sprites, spawned at random, rather than a cycle of life.

#3 2019-12-17 18:46:14

voy178

I wish there was another source of rope. A more stable source.

#4 2019-12-17 18:55:30

DestinyCall

Yes, there needs to be a mid-game alternative to milkweed.   It makes no sense that we use wool for thread, but we are still stuck hunting for wild milkweed or wasting our water on costly milkweed farming.

#5 2019-12-17 22:49:53

Mekkie

I would prefer if the milkweed could be harvested 4 times.  A combination of both.. (if you notice, there are 4 fruits on each stalk).  If you only pick 1-3 it will die over time.   A better balance I think.

#6 2019-12-17 23:33:38

DestinyCall

I'm ready for cotton.

#7 2019-12-18 05:18:36

Punkypal

I second cotton. Or hemp even.

Hemp could be used to make rope or clothing, but not thread so milkweed or sheep would still be needed for sewing.

Hemp or Cotton should produce more per crop than milkweed, but take more skill to farm. Perhaps it would need to be watered twice, once mid growth period, like trees require. Or perhaps just must be harvested like carrots or it will rot/spoil if left too long.

Last edited by Punkypal (2019-12-18 05:24:30)

Daily Updated Map of Player Structures: https://bit.ly/2UrfOQ9
Link to Many Beginner Guides: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNp6g7 … xcw/videos
Composting Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmgyl9evfhw
Diesel Engine Guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sMX_GlwgbA

#8 2019-12-18 11:21:38

Erudaru

When you say old system, you mean the one where the milkweed regrows if plucked while fruiting? Uhm yeah that was obviously much better, people actually had some milkweed back then. Now it's a struggle every time you need milkweed.

People were complaining about griefers back then, how they intentionally pluck the milkweed at non-fruiting stages, so you always had to regrow the weed. The solution was typically Jasonesque - he stood with the griefers and made milkweed farming 100 times harder.

#9 2019-12-18 11:44:54

sigmen4020

Would at least be nice if you got more than one milkweed for every soil row. Especially now with the tilling bug farming milkweed is extremely expensive ressource wise. One thing that could fix this would be make us get more than one milkweed plant from a soil row, kinda like how carrots work. Maybe one row of soil could give two/four milkweed plants corresponding to either one thread/rope.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#10 2019-12-18 11:57:08

Spoonwood

Erudaru wrote:

When you say old system, you mean the one where the milkweed regrows if plucked while fruiting?

Yes.

Erudaru wrote:

People were complaining about griefers back then, how they intentionally pluck the milkweed at non-fruiting stages, so you always had to regrow the weed. The solution was typically Jasonesque - he stood with the griefers and made milkweed farming 100 times harder.

I'm not seeing a lick of sense in that solution to the griefing issue.  We have to regrow the milkweed every single time these days.  In the old system, players didn't have to do that.

I read in another thread about the change in berry bushes having an advantage to the normal players.  But, I'm failing to understand a single advantage to normal players of the current system over the old one.

What power did griefers lose with the change to the new system?  They can still pick as many milkweed plants and no milkweed could end up in town.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-12-18 11:59:23)

Danish Clinch.

#11 2019-12-18 14:09:16

voy178

Maybe picking domesticated milkweed could give a single thread instead of a milkweed stalk due to it being more fruitful? An easy solution to a tedious problem. Still requires farming, but with a greater reward.

Farming milkweed is not fun as is today. We're not gonna miss out on having to tile and water two more rows for a whole rope.

#12 2019-12-18 17:58:34

Gogo
Banned

Yeah, just like in You Are Hope. I was shocked we need four milkweeds just to make rope in OHOL.

#13 2019-12-18 21:02:15

WalrusesConquer

Apparently there were too many SHOULD NOT rules before that people complained that they werent fun and were challenging for a new player to learn as it was more of a community made rule rather than an obvious gameplay one.
Examples of things you SHOULD NOT DO:
- drain the last bowl from a pond (empty forever)
- drain the last bowl from a well (empty forever and no way of telling how full it was)
- kill a non family rabbit (dead forever)
- pick non fruiting milkweed (will never regrow)

Recent favorite lives:
Favio Pheonix,Les Nana,Cloud Charles, Rosa Colo [fed my little bro] Lucas Dawn [husband of magnolia] Jasmine Yu,Chogiwa, Tae (Jazz meister)Gillian Yellow (adoptive husband),Jason Dua, Arya Stark, Sophie Cucci, Cerenity Ergo ,Owner of Boris The Goose,Being Maria's mom, Santa's helper.

#14 2019-12-18 22:02:11

DestinyCall

Sounds like we are headed back in that direction, with more things gone forever.   

Kinda depressing.

#15 2019-12-18 23:03:09

Spoonwood

It wouldn't surprise that old 'should not' rules didn't feel all that great to players.  But, I'm not sure that they prefer the new system with respect to milkweed even though the old one had a 'should not'.  That they like the other systems mentioned over the old ones seem more plausible to me.

Why do you say that we're headed back in that direction Destiny?

Danish Clinch.

#16 2019-12-31 11:05:23

Erudaru

Spoonwood wrote:

What power did griefers lose with the change to the new system?  They can still pick as many milkweed plants and no milkweed could end up in town.

As I understand it, griefers can now pluck milkweed as much as they want, they are not wasting the plant. All they can do is preventing you from having seeding milkweed which isn't that bad.

Board footer