One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-15 10:02:20

kebe15

War update?

Hi! My idea would be to have more war tools in the game, like shields, spears, combining them with horses and tactics with them, say phalanx. With this, perhaps wars would not be just a "who can shift + click faster ". Sorry the gramatik but i've learned English for 5 mounth.

#2 2019-12-15 11:16:47

MCzerotacos

Re: War update?

kebe15 wrote:

Hi! My idea would be to have more war tools in the game, like shields, spears, combining them with horses and tactics with them, say phalanx. With this, perhaps wars would not be just a "who can shift + click faster ". Sorry the gramatik but i've learned English for 5 mounth.

With the current game mechanics it wouldn't be possible to use two items at once.

#3 2019-12-15 11:20:21

jcwilk

MCzerotacos wrote:
kebe15 wrote:

With the current game mechanics it wouldn't be possible to use two items at once.

hypothetically a shield could be worn like an item of clothing in a new clothing slot (forearm) and maybe it prevents you from holding large items at the same time

#4 2019-12-15 11:47:18

Spoonwood

I don't see how this would result in more, or better, civilization building or parenting.  OHOL is a game of civilization building and parenting.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-12-15 11:47:35)

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#5 2019-12-15 12:33:24

testo

What necroman said.

- I believe the term "Berrymuncher" is derogatory and therefore I shall use the term "Berrier" instead.

- Jack Ass

#6 2019-12-15 12:42:30

schmloo

War is for two (or more) entities that consider each other foreign. No town is foreign for two reasons: 1, all towns are basically the same, and 2, people getting reborn to skew the advantage to one side isn’t genuine.

The playerbase also isn’t really big enough, considering that a lot of people just run away to play Eve, no matter what. It uh, might be okay for huge cities to contest over resources and borders politically, but with 2 small towns consisting of about 20-30 people at most? Mostly just for shits and giggles and griefing.

Last edited by schmloo (2019-12-15 12:44:34)

Insert OHOL-related signature here

#7 2019-12-15 16:05:26

DestinyCall

I feel like two people fighting is never a real "war".   It needs to be two nations or two governments or something like that.   With our current state of benign anarchy and small server populations, the best we could muster would be tribal warfare and raids.   The most likely outcome of conflict would be one or both villages getting wiped out with no benefit to the "winning" side.   

I would rather farm milkweed.

#8 2019-12-15 17:56:17

Wuatduhf

War does not exist in OHOL.

It just flat-out doesn't.

Look at a game like TF2 that has PvP content. Now imagine that after you were killed by the opposite team, you then respawned as part of the opposite team and are now being told to fight your allies.

That is essentially OHOL combat in a nutshell. That's not engaging or realistic to PvP content for this game. Ergo, War in its natural term does not and will never exist in OHOL without MASSIVE changes in the way Jason handles spawning.

#9 2019-12-15 22:40:03

jcwilk

I think war in OHOL would be great personally, but my wager would be that war could never exist as realplay until trade exists. More specifically, until one village needs something that another village has but neither gifting nor merging is a mutually desirable option.

#10 2019-12-16 10:14:28

honikker

Wuatduhf wrote:

Look at a game like TF2 that has PvP content. Now imagine that after you were killed by the opposite team, you then respawned as part of the opposite team and are now being told to fight your allies.

This used to be a thing that happened quite often in TF2 for the longest time.

I'm one of those spoopy roleplayers your mothers warn you about before they tuck you in at night.

#11 2019-12-16 12:17:11

jcwilk

honikker wrote:
Wuatduhf wrote:

Autobalance is a bitch. Whenever that happens I'm momentarily disoriented, then i realize that the only people I couldn't kill before were now the only ones I could kill, yay!

#12 2019-12-16 18:27:46

Wuatduhf

honikker wrote:
Wuatduhf wrote:

Then yes, you understand how ridiculous the concept of scrambling players from one side of the line to the other can be.

But instead of TF2's team scrambling every now and then, OHOL is doing that to you in every single Family/Town-based PvP fight. You die to the Gingers and swear vengeance, and then your next life you're now one of them and told to help them murder your old family.

#13 2019-12-16 19:02:12

DestinyCall

Wuatduhf wrote:
honikker wrote:
Wuatduhf wrote:

Then yes, you understand how ridiculous the concept of scrambling players from one side of the line to the other can be.

But instead of TF2's team scrambling every now and then, OHOL is doing that to you in every single Family/Town-based PvP fight. You die to the Gingers and swear vengeance, and then your next life you're now one of them and told to help them murder your old family.

This is why I laughed when I read some of the posts Jason made when he added warswords to the game.    He wanted people to be so invested their family that they would go to war and die to defend their children.   But he didn't appreciate the inherent hypocrisy of killing your own future family to defend your current family.   It is ludicrous.   The server is too small and interwoven to allow for global war.   We kill each other and feed more babies into the war machine, trading our foot soldiers back and forth.

What is the point of such a war?   Certainly not protention of your family or your village.   Live enough lives and they are ALL yours.   You are only fighting yourself.   A giant ugly civil war.

#14 2019-12-16 19:25:03

DarkDrak

Personally, I think that, in some distant future, a war upgrade would be cool. Imagine recruiting all the boys as soldiers and lead them as a general to another town 'cause your town is starving and a)you need to get rid of overabbundant mouts and b)you need to bring back resources and save the place. But, as the game is now (and has been for like, forever), there just can't be any war. The closest we got was when a few people who enjoyed the concept were recruiting a whole town, arming it up, then leading it to conquer another town. But that wasnt war, it was needless, one-sided slaughter, that didnt really help your family, it only doomed everything:
- The target family died (which is fine, you arent supposed to care for other families in this game, right?)
- Your original town got left abbandoned and is now unfindable (which is not fine. Just why? There was everything already.)
- Your own family is doomed 'cause they'll get annihilated for vengence (which is kinda destroying the whole point of a war in the first place.)

Also, now that we cant survive without the help of other fams, waging war is just suicidal.

The concept is interesting, but there can't be war before multicultural trade. There can't be multicultural trade before a sense of appartenence. There can't be a sense of appartenence if we get to live in every family and every town.
Right now, we have none of all that.

Youtube guide to Oil and Kerosene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKSZHPiUK6A
Youtube guide to Diesel Engine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sMX_GlwgbA&t=5s

World is not black and white

#15 2019-12-16 20:58:32

jcwilk

DarkDrak wrote:

The concept is interesting, but there can't be war before multicultural trade. There can't be multicultural trade before a sense of appartenence. There can't be a sense of appartenence if we get to live in every family and every town.
Right now, we have none of all that.

I agree with that up to where you get into appartenance, but I think that if it were easier to get to and from an "enemy" village, whether for war or trade, then it might be different. Like if you lived to 30, went off and raided and came back by 40, then you'd still have quite a lot of life left to enjoy the spoils before you had to go live somewhere else. But as is, going and fighting another village, stealing shit, and bringing it back presumably in multiple trips would occupy your entire lifetime easily and yeah it's hard to motivate towards that.

The whole 60 year 60 minute analogy is just pretty broken right now IMO because it takes like 5-10 years to travel 1km on foot which makes absolutely zero sense. Exploring, sure whatever, but revisiting a place you or a fellow villager has been to already which is only 1km away and takes a decade round trip is a joke.

Board footer