One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-12-13 03:05:50

TheRubyCart

Hair & Faces

Ok so, It seems weird only the black skin colour can have afro, and the gingers can have that face with the freckles?
Why can't every race have each face instead of some races having certain faces.

A randomised hair and face update would be good, there can be some limitations, like browns have less freckles for freckle face and blacks have no freckles.

So yeah, Make it available for males and females to have the hair and face of other races

Also, Example, Brown with Afro and white blonde face

Bless you lovely Reader! smile

You are amazing, you are loved, and have a good day to whoever might read this <3

#2 2019-12-13 06:03:25

Randomname

Re: Hair & Faces

I think there was an issue with how each model is unique so the parts aren't really pick and mix.  Would be nice to see more character models but I'd don't think it's a big deal at the moment.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4357

jasonrohrer wrote:

Love this stuff!

Here's the problem:

The characters are currently hand-made.  I draw eyes, scan the eyes in, and then hand-place the eyes in the best possible position, relative to the mouth, head, hair, etc.

Furthermore, there are multiple stages to the eyes, mouth, and hair, for the various stages of life, that are all tied together (but they are different sprites).  Each of these usually needs to be placed and adjusted by hand to get it to look right (so the "elderly eyes" line up with the "young eyes" and don't visually "jump" when the age transition happens, while also being positioned well relative to the elderly mouth and hair).

And beyond just position, I also hand-draw the parts of the character to go together.  The one with curly hair has kinda crazy eyes and a flat mouth to go with it (gives her a kind of Salad Fingers vibe).  Those go together.  And the hair color, and eye shape, etc, also are drawn intentionally to go along with the skin tone.  I think about each character as a whole package.

Yes, it's possible to procedurally mix and match these things, like Mr. Potato Head.  But they simply won't look as good as the hand-made characters, for all of the above reasons.

Also... I think there is actually something special about the specific characters, and there being a fixed number of them (currently 18, more coming soon).  You can get to know them.  You can fan art them.  You can name them in your mind (blondie, elvis, braids, etc).

As I keep adding more (my goal is 100 eventually, but no promises), there will be more and more variety, and less and less seeing the same characters repeat, while still keeping each character unique and recognizable.

If I wanted a proc-genned character system (like Mewgenics), I would have designed the whole character engine differently (whole banks of eyes, whole banks of hair, etc).  Instead, I decided to hand-draw specific characters, and have a whole lot of them.

I would like the lightest skin tone to have more than just gingers, a boy and girl with white blonde hair would be nice.  Then I can truly have my snow Queendom with my kids Elsa and Anna.

White people having some red headed kids, blacks having some brown hair kids and browns having some blondes would also be fun.

#3 2019-12-13 08:49:42

TheRubyCart

Randomname wrote:

I think there was an issue with how each model is unique so the parts aren't really pick and mix.  Would be nice to see more character models but I'd don't think it's a big deal at the moment.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4357

jasonrohrer wrote:

Love this stuff!

Here's the problem:

The characters are currently hand-made.  I draw eyes, scan the eyes in, and then hand-place the eyes in the best possible position, relative to the mouth, head, hair, etc.

Furthermore, there are multiple stages to the eyes, mouth, and hair, for the various stages of life, that are all tied together (but they are different sprites).  Each of these usually needs to be placed and adjusted by hand to get it to look right (so the "elderly eyes" line up with the "young eyes" and don't visually "jump" when the age transition happens, while also being positioned well relative to the elderly mouth and hair).

And beyond just position, I also hand-draw the parts of the character to go together.  The one with curly hair has kinda crazy eyes and a flat mouth to go with it (gives her a kind of Salad Fingers vibe).  Those go together.  And the hair color, and eye shape, etc, also are drawn intentionally to go along with the skin tone.  I think about each character as a whole package.

Yes, it's possible to procedurally mix and match these things, like Mr. Potato Head.  But they simply won't look as good as the hand-made characters, for all of the above reasons.

Also... I think there is actually something special about the specific characters, and there being a fixed number of them (currently 18, more coming soon).  You can get to know them.  You can fan art them.  You can name them in your mind (blondie, elvis, braids, etc).

As I keep adding more (my goal is 100 eventually, but no promises), there will be more and more variety, and less and less seeing the same characters repeat, while still keeping each character unique and recognizable.

If I wanted a proc-genned character system (like Mewgenics), I would have designed the whole character engine differently (whole banks of eyes, whole banks of hair, etc).  Instead, I decided to hand-draw specific characters, and have a whole lot of them.

I would like the lightest skin tone to have more than just gingers, a boy and girl with white blonde hair would be nice.  Then I can truly have my snow Queendom with my kids Elsa and Anna.

White people having some red headed kids, blacks having some brown hair kids and browns having some blondes would also be fun.

Thanks! I'll try and make fan art that matches the description, like Asians! XD

You are amazing, you are loved, and have a good day to whoever might read this <3

#4 2019-12-13 21:02:42

schmloo

As well as aesthetic properties, hair could also have racial benefits. For example, gingers grow more facial and body hair to help them cope better in tundra than other races, however this causes them to fare much worse than currently in desert and jungle. Black people on the other hand grow very little body hair to help cope with deserts, but work similarly to the above in tundra biomes.

This could also be extended to gender and the transition to adulthood, with men’s natural resistance in all biomes being much better after reaching 14, allowing their lack of food consumption to make up for the fact that they can’t carry on a lineage.

Insert OHOL-related signature here

#5 2019-12-13 21:18:16

jcwilk

schmloo wrote:

As well as aesthetic properties, hair could also have racial benefits. For example, gingers grow more facial and body hair to help them cope better in tundra than other races, however this causes them to fare much worse than currently in desert and jungle. Black people on the other hand grow very little body hair to help cope with deserts, but work similarly to the above in tundra biomes.

This could also be extended to gender and the transition to adulthood, with men’s natural resistance in all biomes being much better after reaching 14, allowing their lack of food consumption to make up for the fact that they can’t carry on a lineage.

Men irl typically consume more food though... But they're also  typically stronger, faster, etc which jason will never be open to implementing, so maybe consume less food is a reasonable token replacement, though even that he probably wouldn't be open to. Inb4 "but wimminz n kiddiez in boatz!!1!"

#6 2019-12-15 11:40:15

schmloo

jcwilk wrote:
schmloo wrote:

Men irl typically consume more food though... But they're also  typically stronger, faster, etc which jason will never be open to implementing, so maybe consume less food is a reasonable token replacement, though even that he probably wouldn't be open to. Inb4 "but wimminz n kiddiez in boatz!!1!"

This isn’t real life though. A female in theory would need to eat more to perform whatever cell dividing shit they’re pulling off, whereas males currently just need to sustain a body with no advantages. Either lower the maintenance of something less useful, or make it more useful.

Insert OHOL-related signature here

Board footer