One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-04-02 03:06:40

mikekchar

I'm not really making this a suggestion, but I think it's an interesting idea.  In the game you die and are reborn.  For the most part you don't have control of where, or in what situation you are reborn.  In your next life, you inherit the consequences of other people's actions.  So if the previous people were peaceful and productive, then you can advance the civilisation.  If the previous people were involved in violence, or "unskilled action" (for example, stealing, etc), then you have to deal with the difficult consequences.  This is karma.  However, in many religions the concept of karma includes the idea that if you engage in "unskilled action", then *you* will suffer the consequences of your actions in your next life.  One hour does not model that kind of karmic reincarnation.

Given that there are multiple servers anyway, I wonder what it would be like if there was a way to tag people with "karma".  If you kill someone, your karma goes in one direction (negative?).  If you piss people off, they can perhaps tag you with "negative karma".  Similarly, if people are happy with your behaviour, or you build something, then your karma goes in the other direction (positive)?  Next, when people are reborn, the server you play on is determined by your karma level.  All the people with the lowest karma would play on the lowest level server and all the people with the highest karma would play on the highest level server.  You could bump people up or down a level or two randomly, just to make it hard to game  (i.e., being a saint in one game is not a guarantee that you will be bumped up -- you would have to play "skillfully" consistently for several lives to ensure that you end up in the upper servers consistently).  Similarly, "karma bombing" someone with negative karma won't permanently keep them off a server.

I think the nice thing about this kind of feature is that it sorts people by their preferred playstyle automatically.  Players who wish to model a more dynamic range of human experience can treat each other like crap and have fun doing it, while those who primarily want to live in a garden of eden can do so.  I also think that bumping people around occasionally to show them what another world looks like would be interesting.

Edit: I actually thought of an implementation that would probably work, so this is more in suggestion territory.  Create a "karma server".  The server logs karma changes on the karma server (primary key in the DB can be the access key for the server, you can do it asynchronously because you don't really care about consistency).   Each server has a "karma threshold" -- the minimum amount of karma necessary to play on the server.  If the player is below that level, then they get punted to the next server (which can be random).  Each server also has a "karma difficulty".  The higher the difficulty, the less likely the player can play on the server.  However, the higher their karma, the higher the chance.  The lowest level server has a zero threshold and a zero difficulty (anyone can try to get in and their success chance is 100%, no matter their karma).    Other servers may have a higher threshold, but allow everybody in (only "good" people can play, but once you are vetted, then you are in).  Still others may have a difficulty that governs the chance to play ("good" people have a high probability to be able to play, while "evil" people have a small chance to play on that server).  The difficulty could even be made dynamic for load balancing purposes (all the hellish servers are full, so you allow a few more players to play in heaven).

Last edited by mikekchar (2018-04-02 03:32:05)

#2 2018-04-02 04:47:24

Sakkiyn

Re: Karma

I like the idea of some sort or reward and punishment karma system. Not sure how hard it might be to institute.

I also would like to see the points from this system go toward profession titles. If you farm a lot you become a farmer, if you killed you become a criminal or some such. A way to permanently tag you for others.

Maybe you need a witness to "tag" you as criminal? That way killing a killer might not get you "tagged" or if others "believe" your it was an accident story.

#3 2018-04-02 07:03:01

breezeknight

i like the idea of some sort of karma

something like
reward for being a constructive player & restriction for being a murderer

though i don't know what "pissing off players" means, cause already a new & inexperienced player plays always in a limited way & should be encouraged to learn & not discouraged by "bad karma"
after all, this game is better off with more players, as any game, & will die itself with players being forced to deal with their fear but no in game tools & options
also, complicated rules & options won't do imo in a game where every minute counts & recipes are complex
if a player is just a parasite & not constructively contributing to the society within the game, that's the player's problem while it makes the gameplay for every other player just more challenging
more challenge is good & shouldn't be restricted imo

imo, intentional murder should be addressed but not neglect towards babies
neglecting a baby happens very often in this game, already because a newly spawned Eva middle in the wilderness played by an inexperienced player has itself little chance to survive, let alone to keep a baby alive

i think murder, intentional killing of a human, is the gravest problem within this game about civilization while without any propper social option, especially for the victim
therefore i would suggest two changes :

1. - to let respawn murderers after their 3rd crime on a separate server, where they all can meet & make their playtime a hell -

if they enjoy killing, well, let them but please keep intentional destructivity out of the game's civilization, because the reason behind such a behaviour is not the game itself but the RL & this game will overstrain itself trying to change RL asap

2. - to disable a murder with just one strike from the same player -

a murderer had to strike twice within a certain timeframe io to kill effectively
a strike by several murderers shouldn't count
there should be also a restricting pause between the first & the second strike
also, the victim has to be informed clearly as to being assaulted to give the victim a chance to at least run away
i think, this will already reduce the willingness to kill
atm, to kill is just too easy & without any consequences to it, it literally begs for occurance of murder

#4 2018-04-02 08:30:01

Xuhybrid

There is a karma system. If you fuck with my shit, i'm going to get the knife or bow that i hid earlier and murder you. Don't fuck with me and what i'm doing lol. One of the most interesting moments was when this dude walked up and started picking the carrots we desperately needed for seeds. So i gave him a quick poke with the knife in my backpack and then i stood over the remaining patch with the knife in hand. The others around kept farming, and i kept our village alive lol.

Last edited by Xuhybrid (2018-04-02 08:31:19)

#5 2018-04-02 08:31:05

Laura

Very good idea!

Overeating + kill good berry bushes + kill People = Server 1

Do your best and help = Server 2, 3, 4 ...

When you kill once or twice ... no Problem, or when you overeat one or twice ... but do this TO often = Server 1.

#6 2018-04-02 11:10:05

breezeknight

the handling of clicks in this game is hard, sometimes one just misclicks - this is not griefing

there are also new players, who just don't know how to handle farming & that one needs seeds - that's a challenge, not necessarily griefing
happens often to me in towns, i have often to tell those who want to help but prevent carrots from turning to seeds, just because they are inexperienced

the destruction of berry bushes comes from the sole dependency of compost on this one ingredience, would there be another way to make soil, eg from wood, that griefing would occure seldom

i don't know if vandalism should be punished
maybe
maybe if it was karma, a player after digging up 10 berry bushes would always spawn as Eva in the wilderness with no other means to survive than to either stop playing or learn to play constructively
that player should be allowed into society world only after managing to care successfully for a family, means something like death by 60 years with 2 teenage grandchildren

i see also another problem
chopping down all trees around town
while to make fire one needs 3 trees alive (tinder from Juniper, ember leaf from Popplar or Maple) not just wood
so there has to be forestry

Board footer