One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-28 18:12:25

Spoonwood

Worsened Problem: The Temperature System is Dull and Unrealistic

Jason has stated elsewhere that this game isn't as interesting as it could be.  The current biome model strikes me as rather dull.  Though biomes look different and have different resources, the vast majority of biomes that you will spend your time in now all have the same temperature.  It use to at least be that you might more ocassionally travel through different biomes with different temperatures.  But now, even on a low pop server that's unlikely.  On a server with more than 15 population, it's unlikely that a given player will ever enter an area not near a fire which has different temperature dynamics, and even then they'll only be heating up if black or brown, and blacks have different temperature opportunities than browns.  At least if they want to actually hold something in their hands.

Prairie biomes, grassland biomes, swamp biomes, and badland biomes are all the same temperature.

If you're ginger in the large pop context you can find a colder area without the dropsy.

If you're black you can find one warmer area, and if you're brown you can find another temperature area without the dropsy... but each only get one.

And there's NO way to trade experiences of different temperatures between characters.  The blacks can't impart the experience of the desert to the browns, for example.

The game is supposed to be about people surviving in a post-apocalyptic world.  But, it's like global warming, a commonly thought accepted scenario, is just preposterous.  Plenty of people in the scientific community would no doubt laugh at this vision of a post-apocalyptic future where the world has become so, so cold everywhere.

Other games I've played aren't so simplistic with respect to temperature.  And it's more interesting to me... perhaps I should say that more dynamic possibilities exist.  Games can play out rather differently.  Not every planet in Rimworld is hot.  Though Oxygen Not Included has gotten dubbed 'heat death', playing on Rime isn't anything like that.  And Arboria, and probably the Badlands, don't usually suffer the same heat problems that other worlds do.  Additionally, Oassise has much more severe heat problems than other worlds.  It's much more interesting, because the problems for the world you select aren't really the same from world to world.  Or at least there's plenty of variety.

In OHOL every life is supposed to be truly different.

But, making clothing and even more so building buildings is repetitious.  Largely speaking, it's the same damn thing over and over again.  Get a bunch of the same resources.  Pounding down the stakes and throwing something on them.  Cooking might be more varied as cooking stew or making sauerkraut differs a fair bit from cooking pies.  And eggs differ also, and other examples.  Smithing makes for a rather varied activity also.

And everywhere that people live and will live with the current biome construction is the same temperature.  It's not freezing, but it's rather cold everywhere where there isn't fire, which is almost entirely the whole map.  And it's cold to exactly the same degree.  And that leaves one solution every single life for OHOL characters:

Heat yourself up.  And do so to the same degree.

Temperature changes how much characters need to eat.  Starvation comes as the most constant worry of these characters in a post-apocalyptic future.  But, it's always the same.  They can use heating up.

It seems hard to imagine that these characters ever feel different about their environment.  An OHOL character that got re-incarnated would always feel something like 'it's too cold in this world, I'm going to need to eat a lot or use buildings and clothing to heat up.  I'm NEVER going to be too hot.  And it's like I'm always cold to the same degree... especially when born as a baby.  Every life is truly the same.  When I get reborn in the next life I'll feel the same way.  I'll be too cold the same amount or exactly the same amount next life as I did this life.  I know that I'm going to have heat up.  It's like I'm in a perpetual cycle of freezing.  Every life feels truly the same and the next one will feel truly the same also."

That might exaggerate a little, but probably not much. 

And again it just seems unrealistic.  Again, global warming is what people talk about, not global cooling.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#2 2019-11-28 19:37:28

Saolin

Re: Worsened Problem: The Temperature System is Dull and Unrealistic

Nuclear winter?

#3 2019-11-28 19:53:48

Spoonwood

Saolin wrote:

Nuclear winter?

Good question.  That said, note that in OHOL temperature is always the same after the apocalypse in the environment.  I don't think that happens in a nuclear winter also.

Also, from a rather quick glance, the criticism section of the Wikipedia artcile on nuclear winter suggests that most of the people with relevant field knowledge are highly to extremely skeptical of it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_winter  If that's the case, nuclear winter seems implausible.

But still, I think you raise a good question.

Danish Clinch.

#4 2019-11-28 21:49:04

antking:]#

Ice Age?

would explain the insane lack of wild animal and plant diversity and population

Most animals and plants were domesticated but reverted to their wild state without human interference

"hear how the wind begins to whisper, but now it screams at me" said ashe
"I remember it from a Life I never Lived" said Peaches
"Now Chad don't invest in Asian markets" said Chad's Mom
Herry the man who cheated death

#5 2019-11-28 23:23:58

Spoonwood

antking:]# wrote:

Ice Age?

would explain the insane lack of wild animal and plant diversity and population

Most animals and plants were domesticated but reverted to their wild state without human interference

I think an ice age would have a lot more tundra on the map.  I live along the Great Lakes, which got formed from glaciers far from where the poles lie now.  There's so few spots on the map like that now, that I just don't see it.  Nope, the people of OHOL aren't living through an ice age.

But nice try there.

Danish Clinch.

#6 2019-11-28 23:57:26

TrustyWay

I've come back after a while to post here, I really loved this game as it was in vanilla, we didn't had much content but did more than what I'm seeing right now through youtube, I was interested to see what it became and if it was worth to take a shot back but idk tbh.

I know we wont see the game as it was before during its peak, but that was when it was the most enjoyable. Megatowns with hierarchy, ruins that came back to life, then when ressources ran out and it was the end, we had no way to subtain ourself too much at this time and had lots of griefing issue but we managed to keep this alive and it was incredible.

I was a king of two towns, a baby stealer for lonely farmers, a conquerer, a bandit and then a guard, a blood priest, I have made wars and slaves of unworthy rival town. I was once a trader. I ran cults. Once I ran through the empty stepps all my life and still be on the very same road. Once I was nomad. I really miss this game. Then updates and changes came and people left.

I will try back

I appreciate Jason's efforts.

Last edited by TrustyWay (2019-11-29 00:13:20)

Board footer