One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-26 20:54:53

Vexenie

Understandable gestures and playee set knowledge

We have emotion and such, but communicating with foreigners ingame is limited, because of the language barrier and limited gestures.

I suggest animated gestures, like pointing, thumbs up and down, waving and such
With these, we as a player base can assaign meanings to them: waving is friendly or hi, thumbs up is approval or yes and thumbs down is disapprival or no and pointing is, well, pointing in a direction

/Waving - waving animation
/point (direction) - add N, S, E,W and in betweeners to point in that direction ( /point W will make your character stretch out their arm and always point at that direction, looking right, pointing back, looking left, pointing forward)

I enjoy the simpler things in life, but only if I'm calm.

#2 2019-11-27 17:36:28

Kaveh

Re: Understandable gestures and playee set knowledge

Pointing would be cool if you want to show someone something.
The other ones you can kiiinda do already: /love for 'Hi, I'm friendly pls don't kill me', /happy for 'I agree/good' and /sad or /mad for 'I disagree/bad'. Most people will understand if you use these.

However, showing people stuff is hard. What I generally do is I'll type !!! to get people's attention if I don't speak their language, then start walking in the direction of what I want to show them. If they don't follow I'll spam some more !!! until they do. It usually works EVENTUALLY, but this is mega bothersome. You just get people going ?? or speaking gibberish to you for a few minutes until they understand you want them to follow you. Pointing would make this a loooot easier.

The best situation ofc is making paper, a pencil and a rubber ball and passing it back and forth to communicate. You can't understand speech, but reading a note works fine.

Board footer