One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-20 22:21:20

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Any lag observations?

I played a life just now, and saw some lag, where I went to do an action, and I bounced for a second or so.

Also in VOG mode, when I jumped around, the map load was a little laggy (when it's usually instant).

Thus, it seems like bigserver2 is a little bogged down with 170 simultaneous players.

I'm thinking about capping it at 140 or so.

#2 2019-11-20 22:23:24

Ari-ori-412

Re: Any lag observations?

Ive been lagging and been stuck at about 40 fps ever since i started playing again, and after a while the lag only got worse.

Stop eating berries adults! go eat the pie or stew right next to you.

#3 2019-11-20 22:26:25

Coconut Fruit

I saw no lags yesterday, it was a bit fewer players tho. Can't you somehow get a better server or smth? Maybe it would be cool having 1k players playing at the same time on the same server at some point.

Last edited by Coconut Fruit (2019-11-20 22:27:00)

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#4 2019-11-20 22:41:34

D3mon1cblack

not sure if it was my connection but i lagged like 4 days ago where i saw ppl pop in and out of existance same for some items. But that only happened for like a few minutes

im eve groot or eve degroot and if i dont care and spawn next to an item ill call myself eve (itemname)
420 mushroom cultist and proud of it!

#5 2019-11-20 22:45:16

jcwilk

Yeah last night I was getting intermittent lag frequently but not constantly and had to reconnect a few times which I don't remember happening much prior to the sale. It didn't quite prevent me from playing, probably lost a bb to it at some point though. OTOH it saved my life once when i was in the last second before starvation waiting for my hair to grow out since my mother was intentionally letting me die so I didn't gobble up their berries, got hit by a disconnect, came back in and I was still alive and with hair, proceeded to gobble up all their berries before running off and pretending to be an eve.

#6 2019-11-20 22:55:12

JonySky
Website

correct Jason, right now there is some lag on the main server

I must add that there are currently saturation of new players and there are many veteran players who are trying to explain the early stages of the game with child overload

It is possible to distribute the players in 2 servers (50/50)?, I think that in this way the game can be better explained and there will not be so much frustration on both sides (new and veteran)

Last edited by JonySky (2019-11-20 22:55:44)

#7 2019-11-20 23:02:29

Spoonwood

I lagged last night on server12 in one life (was trying to smith... very annoying with the fire in the kiln running and going out).  But, during the next life I didn't have any lag.  Don't recall any lag when I played on server15 this afternoon.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#8 2019-11-20 23:49:07

MistressZues

Main server lagg bad all day today an yesterday. Yesterday was worse then today. I had my game crash many times sad

Check this out upvote if you agree!!! https://www.reddit.com/r/OneLifeSuggest … heck_this/

#9 2019-11-21 00:05:21

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Your game crashed?  That should never happen, no matter what, even with bad lag....

Yeah, so it sounds like I need to cap the server pop a bit to prevent lag.  I just did that, and hopefully it will help.

Regarding the dream of 1000 players on one server, which game can actually do that?  I've never seen one that could.  Most huge MMOs have the world sharded into separate servers, so when you walk across a boundary, you teleport to a different server.  If all the players tried to converge in one area, the game would break (or some of the players would be invisible, because they are actually on separate servers mirroring the same area).

As far as "get a bigger server" goes, the server code is single-threaded, so more cores won't help, and it's not RAM-bound, so more ram won't help.  The servers that I have already have SSD drives, so faster disks probably won't help.

Some games (like Rust) that do support slightly higher player counts send each player the whole map before they login (so logging in takes 5 minutes or something).  The map is finite, and thus the whole thing can be sent up front.

OHOL has an infinite map, and the map is streamed to you as you explore.  That constant map streaming is the biggest load on the server, last time I ran a profile.

#10 2019-11-21 00:20:44

Coconut Fruit

I didn't report it but my game crashes randomly since like 3 weeks. Sometimes even twice a game. I have fast pc so I just open the game again and connect so I can continue playing without losing much time.

What can I do about it?
I use hetuw mod if it matters.

And about lags, I haven't lagged at all yesterday, but I saw some people complaining about lags.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

#11 2019-11-21 00:26:59

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

I just played for a few hours and didn't experience any. I've been crashing a lot on bigserver2 though. I'm pretty sure it's not mods, since others in the discord have been experiencing the same thing with many different mods, and even one vanilla.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#12 2019-11-21 01:16:19

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Can any of you try catching the crash in the debugger and emailing me the results?

jasonrohrer AT fastmail DOT fm

The debugging instructions are in the sticky thread here:

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=36

If you're on Steam, you're going to need to access the off-Steam files to download the debugger.  There's a sticky thread about that in the Steam forums.

#13 2019-11-21 01:18:31

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yeah, I got a CPU usage notification for bigserver2 in email today.  Good thing I reduced the population cap...

#14 2019-11-21 01:30:45

Coconut Fruit

jasonrohrer wrote:

Can any of you try catching the crash in the debugger and emailing me the results?

Yes, I will do it. Tho I will probably not play today. So probably tomorrow.

Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners

Board footer