One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-20 15:07:49

Ilka

Jason, do some god mode (?)

As in the title, we are experiencing steam apocalipse again.

There are 20 complete novices for one player who can play.

I will add that before there were many new players, and even if you have no information that the player is new, it does not mean that he can play.

New players are thrown into the game and die massively.

After a few deaths, they'll probably quit the game and they won't recommend her to anyone, so it's in your interest to solve the problem quickly.

Maybe let the novice hunger bar decrease and stop when it reaches zero?

With the message: "You would normally starve to death, but because you are a beginner you enter immortality mode. Attencion! After 10 hours of playing, your protection will be removed!" 

Something like that.

#2 2019-11-20 17:06:03

karltown_veteran

Re: Jason, do some god mode (?)

That’s a good idea. New players should be born into stable cities, not to a mother eating bananas in the wild surrounded by baby corpses. I imagine new players born into the latter are currently thinking: “is this some prank? I don’t understand this at all. Wait, did I just waste twenty dollars on this? There’s so much going on! What the heck do I do? Why is mom swearing and taking out a knife? Why is she chain stabbing all my brothers and sisters? Can I eat this egg? Why am I starving? Why can’t I talk properly? Why can’t I pick stuff up like I did in the tutorial? Help!”

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#3 2019-11-20 17:13:07

Greenwood

Slower hunger for beginners might be a good idea, and perhasps a mechanic whereby new players don't spawn to the early generations of a family unless there's nowhere else to be born? Just for the first five or ten lives. This worked quite well for the mobile version of the game.

#4 2019-11-20 17:25:22

Legs

I think it's fine. The game was worse when it was released on steam and plenty of people still played it. A few stayed long term. Yes it's heck and life is a struggle. That's part of the appeal in this type of game. It's a novel experience when mom abandons you in the woods to die because there are too many babies and not enough food. When new players are born into prosperous cities they have boring lives. Just eat pie and walk around picking things up for an hour without knowing how to craft stuff. At least mass starvation puts some pressure on them to learn.

Loco Motion

#5 2019-11-20 17:31:00

karltown_veteran

Legs wrote:

At least mass starvation puts some pressure on them to learn.

Mass starvation is not the premise of the game. If it was, I guarantee you about 10% of the people that bought it would buy it. If new players were given a chance to learn instead of being thrown into the game, they might stay longer and be able to add something to towns/help out. If they are constantly hungry they will stand by a berry bush eating or, (more likely) quit.

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#6 2019-11-20 18:13:57

Gomez

Make Eve splinter camps flee the locust beri village immediately

I'm gaining fitness and making stable eve camps, learn to fire and teach kids that one thing. 

Eve Camp Rules -

kids feed til five off eve
kids sit at / on fire til sevenish
eat first beri followed by beri in bowl at sevenish.  Depends on if they fire dancing and fed at 4.9 years old
teach them to control temperature aka fire dancing   regular fire sit on it large slow fire step on heat up step off repeat.
omelettes are not kid food.
Don't steal camp tools. we very poor tongue

Do those things, be a good cook and smith, you will gain fitness. 

I'm Edris Cavan on the leaderboard and I'm maintaining the number one spot thru the "noob apocalypse" Helps having 10 tool slots tbh.

Any other questions?

Honestly we've lost the basic fundamentals thru the game by rushing tech for the players. All we used to have were "eve camps" newcomen pumps didn'y exist well spam did tho ha.

Camp rules are not city rules.  In the city you can feast on beri and have no issue.  In eve camps its a huge issue.

I took a 6 point fitness hit by staying in the Beri Locust camp and attempting damage control...I didn't make that mistake twice neither should you.

Last edited by Gomez (2019-11-20 18:23:45)

#7 2019-11-20 18:25:43

Gomez

If you think about it how many berries does a naked child eat from three to seven in the locust camps?  Hell do they even live to seven? LOOOOOOOOOOL

Eliminate the waste the eliminate the apocalypse get busy spreading the word?

Last edited by Gomez (2019-11-20 18:26:29)

#8 2019-11-20 20:10:27

Legs

Last life I decided on going back to basics and making food for the town. Before that I tried smithing and everyone starved. Back to basics: make food.

I gave my son a backpack because he said he could farm. We didn't have sheep or wheat for compost yet so I gave him my backpack, one of only a couple in town. If he's ranging for wild soil he might as well carry two loads at a time. Ask him to plant wheat, he doesn't know how. He doesn't know how to water berries either. He fills up his backpack with four pies then grabs a basket full of three more. Says he wants food for life.

That's pretty much how my time in the kitchen went. Dozens of little five year old babies eating all my pie. I wish they'd go munch berries instead.

The tool slot update really puts a hard cap on bootstrapping new towns right now. We have twenty people running around and only two actually working. Everyone else is hoovering up food, stealing tools and making a mess of the place. Someone is working the smithy, great. Someone is baking pies and making omelettes, good. Nobody's farming. Nobody's getting a sheep. Nobody's making compost. When you need to do everything yourself it just doesn't work. I can't even ask people to do things -for- me because they're totally clueless. I'm standing there with an adze, bucket and two straight shafts begging everyone walking past to just hit the thing for me and getting zero response. Meanwhile, the shallow well is dry and we're all starving.

It's a little frustrating and crazy but I also kind of like that. Living to sixty in the middle of a mass grave is actually pretty gratifying.

Loco Motion

#9 2019-11-20 20:16:08

Gomez

the answer isn't more food as you've clearly found out the hard way...its lower population density. 

Honestly you should have stabbed that kid that took four pies.

he might be afraid of starving but he should be more afraid of the baker with a knife.

Last edited by Gomez (2019-11-20 20:16:55)

#10 2019-11-20 20:22:37

jasonrohrer
Administrator

I also turned down the baby-per-mother ratio a few hours ago.  A new Eve spawns if we ever get past 1 BB per fertile mother server-wide.

Taking a VOG survey just now, things seemed to be going okay.

However, I only see primitive camps and no cities with buildings and such.

#11 2019-11-20 21:06:23

karltown_veteran

Probably no one is working because people are trying to survive. Just another reason to give food immortality temporarily to new players so they can learn.

Board footer