One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-20 12:34:44

miskas

How to solve the Noob apocalypse, How to retain players!

Adding a single-player in-game menu, spawn as Eve in DK (No they will not join low pop servers they will just quit)
And for one more time, why no Onetech link? You have said it yourself game needs an external crafting source.

this game will never retain new players if they die like flies or live without being able to do a thing.
Let them practice and enjoy the abundance of single-player while browsing one tech.

Your words, the challenge is fun when you are so close to achieving a solution. LET them have a challenge that is fun, survive alone in the wild.
Let them explore the crafting system let them LIVE.

Don't like Single player? A better solution.

The EASY mode
The Easy mode logging, spawns you in a different server that has 1 family per 2 players. That means that every Eve will have 1 child and no more.
Two players cooperate to learn the game. Sometimes you might have none and that's ok. It's enough of a challenge to survive yourself.
Good players might spawn in to help the new ones as well. This will be a great experience for noobs.

Last edited by miskas (2019-11-20 12:35:48)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#2 2019-11-20 15:05:36

PeebleCreek

Re: How to solve the Noob apocalypse, How to retain players!

I think you're forgetting that Jason is more concerned with gate-keeping what is considered a "real game" than making his content accessible or fun. This is the guy who called Minecraft's creative mode a "toy" and didn't even want to put a tutorial in this game to begin with. I'm sure he'd argue that having the option of single player or an Easy Mode would ruin the integrity of the game by some arbitrary definition.

That said, as a moderately experienced player, I'd STILL want this option available. Not because the game is too hard for me these days, but just because sometimes I want a more laid back experience. As many vets have said, it's annoying to always be forced into whichever role is most necessary for town survival rather than being able to choose what you'd have fun doing in a given life.

Anyway, point is this is a good idea!

I always name my first daughter Amala, and my first son Damen.

#3 2019-11-20 15:21:37

Ilka

These are very good ideas.

And that's why they will never be implemented.

Buahahaha! smile smile smile

It would be nice if Jason once listened to someone who gives reasonable advice.

#4 2019-11-20 17:22:48

Spoonwood

There's a potential problem with all of this, which is only a few weeks old.  Tool slot limitations.  It does exist for low pop servers.  A solo server shouldn't have tool slot limitations.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#5 2019-11-20 17:25:08

Spoonwood

PeebleCreek wrote:

I think you're forgetting that Jason is more concerned with gate-keeping what is considered a "real game" than making his content accessible or fun. This is the guy who called Minecraft's creative mode a "toy" and didn't even want to put a tutorial in this game to begin with. I'm sure he'd argue that having the option of single player or an Easy Mode would ruin the integrity of the game by some arbitrary definition.

Strangely enough, Jason decided to change the pip drain rate and the server bonus from food shortly after this (and spread out births to mothers more) shortly after you write this message.  So, either he's ruined the integrity of his game, or perhaps he's rethought some things.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

Board footer