One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2018-03-31 17:47:18

Mugatu86

Map culling too extreme?

So I am not sure if this was intentional or not, but we know that if a portion of the map has not been seen within 24 hours of a system reboot, it gets regenerated - however it seems to still delete newly created areas reguardless.

Example:

Last night, on server 1 - I was starting to build a town around the coordinates (x: -4, y: -25) as shown in the picture below.

bnxYed1r.jpg

Started mapping out the roads and stuff with an excel file that I was working on:

vR8aqjJ.jpg

The next day however, it seemed as if the map was regenerated at this location:

VDjxkUR.jpg

So any kind of city planning / building / mapping is really not advisable, particularly when it feels that your settlement can go at any moment.

Just wanted to issue players a word of warning on the subject.

#2 2018-03-31 18:01:34

trstovall

Re: Map culling too extreme?

Could it be a different server?  Unless you hardcoded the custom server setting, you may have been load balanced to a different server.

OT, but how are you logging coordinates to the console?

#3 2018-03-31 18:03:08

Thexus

wow, really nice planning

p.s: the new feature is buggy

Discord: Translators' Server, Thexus#3774
Working again on translations, oof

#4 2018-03-31 18:07:40

Mugatu86

trstovall wrote:

Could it be a different server?  Unless you hardcoded the custom server setting, you may have been load balanced to a different server.

OT, but how are you logging coordinates to the console?

Yes, it's server one (I set it up via the settings)

As for the coordinates, I use a powershell script that was shared here: https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=745

#5 2018-03-31 19:28:35

draequine

Oh, the culling is that brutal? Maybe Jason should have some of the man made objects act as anchors?

#6 2018-04-01 01:59:39

EvilBlackCat

draequine wrote:

Oh, the culling is that brutal? Maybe Jason should have some of the man made objects act as anchors?

I agree with this. Perhaps floors or walls.

My private server that I use for recording and streaming with my roommate gets wiped any time the server gets restarted. This is even with me logging in to specifically run around the common area to make sure it was seen before restarting the server.

#7 2018-04-01 05:57:19

Drakulon

So all servers reset from time to time? Or just server 1?
I really wish they wouldn't reset, but maybe that would be bad?

If the servers would never reset people would run out of resources (stones, trees...)
I don't know any way to create stones or trees, is there one?

#8 2018-04-01 06:38:27

Kitaelia

Drakulon wrote:

Not yet, but some ways have been suggested on the Official OneLifeSuggestions Reddit

Your OHOL Suggestions and ↑ or ↓'s are appreciated: OneLifeSuggestions Reddit
-Twitter- for Stream announcements & randomness!
-Twitch- to Hang out with me while I play!

#9 2018-04-01 06:57:30

lesslucid

Drakulon wrote:

So all servers reset from time to time? Or just server 1?
I really wish they wouldn't reset, but maybe that would be bad?

If the servers would never reset people would run out of resources (stones, trees...)

I think the resets are designed to deal with the problem of the map files growing very large over time. If a player goes on a long, long excursion out into the middle of nowhere, then drops a backpack and some clothes at the end of it, should that long "spike" into the empty map be saved and transmitted to every other player who plays on that server? If it is, the result over time will be needing to download a gigantic map file every time you play the game. 

Maybe "anchors" could lengthen the time to reset? So "normal" area would reset if nobody visited them for 24 hours, but "anchored" areas with floors, walls etc would reset if nobody visited them for a week?

#10 2018-04-01 07:40:01

Drakulon

Or how about making it so if you leave the map on one side you enter it on the other side? This could be done without the player noticing anything when he walks over an edge.
This way the map size can only get as big as you define it.

#11 2018-04-01 09:36:29

lf

It is not done because of the size of the map but of the amount of stuff laying around.

Everything that no player has seen for more than 24 hours is reset on server restart. Since it only happens on server restart it does not actually happen every 24 hours.

And seen by a player is not necessarily visible within your screen but you were roughly in the area.

Short explanation of the bug:
Does not really affect the official server.

Long explanation about the bug:
If you migrate from a server without the map culling feature to one with map culling everything is treated as unseen. For official servers this is not much of a problem because once the server runs for 24 hours after the upgrade there is no problem. If the server restarts within the first 24 hours there is unintended culling. For my private server I wanted to change the limit from 24 hours to 30 days because it's low population so the performance is not much of a problem. But to be sure it works exactly as intended the server would have to run 30 days without restart. That risk is kinda high.

Update
The bug has been fixed in git: https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/ … 5721c3f3f1

If you want to change map culling on your private server set:
mapCellForgottenSeconds.ini

To 0 to disable map culling or the amount of seconds it should take for map tiles to disappear

Last edited by lf (2018-04-02 21:27:57)

Board footer