One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-10 04:42:38

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

We need a visual to see tools we learned and slots remaining

I honestly hate this tool slot update more than the rift, but if it's going to stick around for a bit it'd be nice to have some support for it.

Sometimes I forget if I've learned the hatchet or the Axe (Which shouldn't be seperate tools) and have to waste my time picking up both and seeing. Or I'm trying to start a project and I run out of slots preparing for it that I can't actually DO IT (AKA getting oil)

I suggest it be a small number on your UI showing remaining slots and when you hover over it, it tells you what you have learned.

Worst comes to worst maybe you modders out there can add it.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#2 2019-11-10 05:07:19

Legs

Re: We need a visual to see tools we learned and slots remaining

I'm always over 40 genetic score. In the top 20 leaderboard.1 That's 3 bonus tool slots according to the UI. I always max out, usually fairly early in life. It happens naturally just taking care of chores. Making clothing or some missing tools. Heating something on coals, in an oven or kiln. There are so many tools that it happens naturally just living your life. There's never a dedicated smith, shepard, baker etc. People play the same as before and just find themselves limited.

Newer players never learn more than a couple tools. Older players are hamstringed. I had to finish and install a diesel engine to replace an exhausted newcomen well recently. Despite bonus slots it used almost all of my tools. The town also desperately needed compost, carrots, pies etc.

I couldn't do anything so I taught my noob son what he wanted. Hunting. He used maybe two tool slots, lost a bow and didn't contribute anything in his life. Noobs use no slots and vets need more. The game doesn't really work without fixers. Often addressing one problem isn't enough. Usually, people don't address any problems at all.

Loco Motion

#3 2019-11-10 05:40:12

fug

Re: We need a visual to see tools we learned and slots remaining

I mean the tools need to be fixed to actually be learned so people can truly see how painful skill slots are. Also they need to either be streamlined so you know when you're getting a tool slot such as:

0 memescore - 1 pity slot
15 meme score- 2 slots (1 pity, 1 earned)
30 meme score - 3 slots (1 pity, 2 earned)
45 meme score - 4 slots (1 pity, 3 earned)
50 meme score - 5 slots (1 pity, 4 earned.)

In the current game anything <30 meme score is just a pity slot and at that point you have no real reason to be mindful for children unless you're getting close to reaching the next tier slot (which lasts up until the 40's or so.) Basically if you're sitting in the middle of a threshold you have no real urgency to get to the next one as it takes a while to get there.

Other suggestion is to split it between meme score and age.

Age 13 - First slot
Age 23 - Second slot
Age 33 - Third slot
Age 43 - Fourth slot

Then have meme score add anywhere between 2-4 more slots or something following the previous ideas break down.

Unless Jason is going to break down things into categories there's no reason one use items should be tools (looking at you lasso, newcomen drill, fishing rod, net, flint tipped bow drill.)

Worlds oldest SID baby.

Board footer