One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-09 13:28:35

Bremidon

Suggestion: Nicknames

I saw several ideas about how to communicate what we are doing or how we see ourselves.  How about allowing us to set a nickname for ourselves?

"My nickname is Pie maker"

Then when we hover over them we see: Mark "Pie maker" Sky.

#2 2019-11-09 14:45:34

karltown_veteran

Re: Suggestion: Nicknames

“MY NICKNAME IS JASONSUCKSDICKS”
See how this could be abused?

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#3 2019-11-09 15:08:06

Solbusaur

karltown_veteran wrote:

I think people would do that at first, then get bored of it. More likely people would use it for naming themselves roles, or RP names like "Queen".

Favourite Lives: MrDryer/ChirpChapley (Eva II) Town Nurse (Beth Storm) Ma's Best Li'l Helper (Law Autry), The Latex Lord (Kevin Youree), 60 Years a Blacksmith (Victoire Mom) The Egglord's Apprentice (Thomas II), Big Blood Brother (Dante), Horse racer on doomsday (Lilly Tana)
Profile Picture by MultiLife

#4 2019-11-09 16:39:10

Kaveh

Solbusaur wrote:
karltown_veteran wrote:

I think people would do that at first, then get bored of it. More likely people would use it for naming themselves roles, or RP names like "Queen".

People never seemed to get bored of naming their kids different slurs, so I doubt they would here.

#5 2019-11-09 18:29:04

Lum

I'm very much against this because it would:
1. Render given names useless. Don't like your name? You can name yourself anything. It would be good for roles, but still.
2. Destroy anonimity. This game is great because you are not supposed to exactly be yourself: you take on the identity of a person in the game, and you play through them. If there are nicknames, I'd expect many people to name themselves after their forum pseudonym in each life so that they may be recognized easily. I don't like that. It would ruin the immersion, as well as potentially create certain biases.

ign: summerstorm, they/them

#6 2019-11-09 20:08:12

DestinyCall

Or name themselves after other people to steal their identity ... muhahahaha!

#7 2019-11-10 09:18:05

Bremidon

karltown_veteran wrote:

No not really.  I mean, I can see how people might do this, but it's not really different than people putting items in the shape of potentially offensive signs, writing on paper, or whatever.  Plus, we could limit the size of the nickname.  Perhaps the size is related to your genetic score.

And you know, even if people did use this to be immature idiots: this would actually be great.  It would give us a heads up on likely griefers.  Someone using their nickname for something like that is probably not anyone you want to let near your sheep.

Lum wrote:

Don't like your name? You can name yourself anything.

Well no, you can't.  You can give yourself a nickname, but your name stays the same.  There's only one possible reason to be against this and that is...

Lum wrote:

Destroy anonimity.

I considered this.  However, nothing is stopping you from running around shouting your real name to everyone.  The same goes for impersonation.  Nothing stops you from going around claiming to be someone else.  Sure, a quick look at the name clears it up, but with a nickname, the real name is literally right there. 

So do we want a chance to be able to define roles for ourselves or not?  I can live without it, but if we want to actually allow something like this, why overcomplicate it?  Nicknames are a part of social reality and by reading Jason's comments, I would actually be surprised if he wouldn't be interested in the social tension created by comparing how we see ourselves compared to how other people see us.

#8 2019-11-10 10:57:59

Kaveh

Bremidon wrote:
karltown_veteran wrote:

No not really.  I mean, I can see how people might do this, but it's not really different than people putting items in the shape of potentially offensive signs, writing on paper, or whatever.

So you think cuz one bad thing happens it's okay if more bad things happen?

#9 2019-11-10 11:32:11

Bremidon

Kaveh wrote:

So you think cuz one bad thing happens it's okay if more bad things happen?

That's not what I said.  I said that this does not introduce any new problems.  If saying naughty things is what we want to avoid, then that ship has sailed.

#10 2019-11-10 13:28:20

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Kinda off topic but maybe this could be applied to Leaderboard names. Set your own nickname based off in game names

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

Board footer