One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-07 06:00:07

Tempted

How about gallows?

I don't know how it would work, but I think it would be fun to hang criminals in a town square lol

#2 2019-11-07 06:41:41

DestinyCall

Re: How about gallows?

I'd rather burn witches.   We already have the witch mask in game and evil magic would certainly explain the sudden appearance of the Rift and all the wells going dry.

http://lexx.thebruce.net/poem/monty.html

"She turned me into a newt!"

#3 2019-11-07 07:09:57

miskas

yay! and mass cursing them while they die!  ^_^

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#4 2019-11-07 07:21:42

pedrito confesiones

how about being able to put basket of bones in carts

CoNtEnT

Bottom text

#5 2019-11-07 07:37:41

DestinyCall

pedrito confesiones wrote:

how about being able to put basket of bones in carts

Check it out!  Jason snuck that one in under the radar, back when rabbits got nerfed. 

"Can now carry baskets of bones in carts, but must deface them first with a charcoal pencil. Placing them in carts causes their identity to be forgotten, and the charcoal marking makes certain that you know what you're doing (so grave identities aren't lost in a surprising way).
October 24, 2019"

https://onetech.info/versions

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-11-07 15:34:55)

#6 2019-11-08 00:33:32

Tempted

DestinyCall wrote:

I'd rather burn witches.   We already have the witch mask in game and evil magic would certainly explain the sudden appearance of the Rift and all the wells going dry.

http://lexx.thebruce.net/poem/monty.html

"She turned me into a newt!"

I mean either or both would be great. We need old timey capital punishment for an old timey game lol.

#7 2019-11-08 00:43:48

DestinyCall

How about stocks? 

Those wooden things that trap a person's head and hands, so you can shame them and toss rotten fruit at them for fun and social justice.  We already have the tomatoes.  We are ready.

#8 2019-11-08 00:52:58

Tempted

DestinyCall wrote:

How about stocks? 

Those wooden things that trap a person's head and hands, so you can shame them and toss rotten fruit at them for fun and social justice.  We already have the tomatoes.  We are ready.

Lol yes. We DO already have the tomatoes hehehe

#9 2019-11-08 14:48:05

Kaveh

I keep wondering how y'all want to make sure the player actually steps onto the gallows/stake/stocks. They're not just gonna step up there to die/sit and do nothing

Capture them with a lasso then tie them up? It'd be awful if anyone could just do that to anyone else

#10 2019-11-08 17:31:15

Tempted

Kaveh wrote:

I keep wondering how y'all want to make sure the player actually steps onto the gallows/stake/stocks. They're not just gonna step up there to die/sit and do nothing

Capture them with a lasso then tie them up? It'd be awful if anyone could just do that to anyone else

Yeah that's why I prefaced the idea with an 'I don't know how it would work'
Because I have no clue lol. But I think it would be pretty funny to have some gallows or sticks or guillotines in the town square. It would make for some interesting roleplay, especially the stocks lol

#11 2019-11-08 17:44:32

DestinyCall

Actually, I've made a post about about how to implement non-lethal weapons and temporary restraints in OHOL.   I'll see if I can find it ....

Here we go:

DestinyCall wrote:

A while back, I made a suggestion to allow clubbing someone with a long shaft to briefly stun them - being stunned would slow movement speed for 5-10 sec and force them to drop any held item (like a weapon or engine), similar to being hit by a snowball.   Doing so would break the long shaft and leave the clubbing player stuck holding the broken shaft for a short cool-down (at least as long as the player is stunned, perhaps a little longer - like five seconds of stun for the clubee and six seconds of cooldown for the clubber), so that a single person couldn't use a bunch of long shafts to "stun-lock" someone until they starved to death.    But a GROUP of people could totally beat someone to death with clubs, if they wanted them to not be a part of their village any longer. 

Alternatively, a stunned player could be tied with a rope to immobilize them for a short period of time.  Maybe one full minute.    Then the rope becomes loose enough to fall to the ground and they can run away, or maybe get bumped on the head again by a guard, if the trial isn't done yet.   Maybe while tied up, a player could be picked up and carried, so you could move them into a more permanent prison - or just build a prison where ever they happen to be tied up.   While tied up or stunned, you could feed the person to keep them alive while you decide their fate.  Or let them starve.  Or stab them.   Your choice, they are tied up.

Since the player that immobilizes the player is stuck holding the broken shaft for a short cooldown, they can't stun and tie up another person by themselves.   Two people would need to work together to tie up a third person.   

Obviously, griefers could also use such methods to immobilize, kill, or imprison regular players, so I don't think that this would be a REPLACEMENT for a functioning curse system.    If you are imprisoned unjustly, you could plead your case or curse the person who tied you up.    If someone routinely abuses these features, they could easily end up cursed by a lot of angry players and that should have some real consequence.    If you are only imprisoning people who deserve it, you shouldn't need to do it that much and shouldn't be at much risk of getting a bunch of curses thrown your way.   Also, it would be important to address the dangers of twins, triplets, and quads ... when players play together, they can do more damage and they are harder to stop, if they want to harm other players.

Another suggestion I've made in the past is the idea of a village militia.   The farmers rising up to defend the village when it is attacked.    The idea is that the majority of long-shaft iron tools - iron hoe, iron shovel, adze, pickaxe, iron axe, etc - could be used as lethal weapons.  BUT ... they can only be used to target killers - someone currently holding a bloody knife, bow, or sword.   You cannot target someone who is unarmed or holding a non-bloody weapon.   After the attack, the villager's iron tool becomes bloodied and he has the same cooldown as a knife user.   The idea behind this concept is that it increases the defensive strength of the average villager without raising the risk for random, unprovoked murder.    If someone kills your favorite sister right in front of you, then you can immediately retaliate using your trusty shovel.  But if you get pissed off at your other sister for being a prissy bitch, you have to go find a knife or bow to kill her.   You can't just bash her skull in with a wood-cutting axe.

This also means that if someone comes over to investigate the murder yelps, they can clearly tell that you were avenging your sister's murder, because the shovel CAN'T be used for first strike.   You didn't start the murders, but you did put an end to them.

I think that would be a significant improvement over the current state of affairs where you must have some weapons around in case someone starts killing people but just by having weapons around the village, you increase the risk of someone going rogue and killing randomly.   And it alleviates the situation where you are getting attacked and no one has a knife or bow handy to defend themselves, so you just end up getting picked off with no option to attack or defend or even run away!  It also lets you defend your village against coordinated raids or war parties.   The farmers can rise up with pitchforks and torches to drive off the griefer or to defend their homes and family from would-be attackers.   Maybe you could even integrate the village militia with the state of war.   In addition to targeting killers, you can attack anyone in a warring family using iron tools, but obviously they are not as strong as the war sword.   This would allow more people to be involved in the fight during a state of war.  Your entire village could go into battle and fight the entire population of the other village at once.

There are many interesting ways that we could deal with griefers, beyond our current options.   

But I'd also really really like to have a proper curse system that imposes real consequences on cursed players, so that the frequency of attacks could be reduced by removing high-frequency offenders from the game-space - either to somewhere outside of the Rift or to a separate DonkeyTown server.    A murder spree is dramatic and exciting if it happens once in a while, but it is not enjoyable to constantly deal with pointless violence and destruction.   I need a proper amount of peace and progress to be able to find any value in the occasional "exciting" lives.    When the balance is tipped toward griefing, I lose emotional investment and desire to play each time I spend an entire life dealing with a toxic level of griefing.

Looking at my village militia idea again, I'm noticing that this would be an excellent addition to the game now that we have limited tool slots.   If you are a hard worker and invest all your tool slots in practical tools, you don't have any space left over for a dedicated "weapon".   But this leaves you defenseless, if someone comes over and starts killing people.   Alternatively, you have to reserve one slot on a bow/knife, even if you don't plan on using it and don't need it for your job.     If regular tools could be used as defense-only weapons in times of crisis, you could dedicate yourself to the art of farming and not worry as much about dealing with random outside threats or wasted tool slots.   

But more importantly for the original topic, you could knock out the griefer and put him in the stocks so everyone can mock him and throw tomatoes at his stupid face.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-11-08 17:50:31)

#12 2019-11-09 02:09:21

Tempted

DestinyCall wrote:

Actually, I've made a post about about how to implement non-lethal weapons and temporary restraints in OHOL.   I'll see if I can find it ....

Here we go:

DestinyCall wrote:

A while back, I made a suggestion to allow clubbing someone with a long shaft to briefly stun them - being stunned would slow movement speed for 5-10 sec and force them to drop any held item (like a weapon or engine), similar to being hit by a snowball.   Doing so would break the long shaft and leave the clubbing player stuck holding the broken shaft for a short cool-down (at least as long as the player is stunned, perhaps a little longer - like five seconds of stun for the clubee and six seconds of cooldown for the clubber), so that a single person couldn't use a bunch of long shafts to "stun-lock" someone until they starved to death.    But a GROUP of people could totally beat someone to death with clubs, if they wanted them to not be a part of their village any longer. 

Alternatively, a stunned player could be tied with a rope to immobilize them for a short period of time.  Maybe one full minute.    Then the rope becomes loose enough to fall to the ground and they can run away, or maybe get bumped on the head again by a guard, if the trial isn't done yet.   Maybe while tied up, a player could be picked up and carried, so you could move them into a more permanent prison - or just build a prison where ever they happen to be tied up.   While tied up or stunned, you could feed the person to keep them alive while you decide their fate.  Or let them starve.  Or stab them.   Your choice, they are tied up.

Since the player that immobilizes the player is stuck holding the broken shaft for a short cooldown, they can't stun and tie up another person by themselves.   Two people would need to work together to tie up a third person.   

Obviously, griefers could also use such methods to immobilize, kill, or imprison regular players, so I don't think that this would be a REPLACEMENT for a functioning curse system.    If you are imprisoned unjustly, you could plead your case or curse the person who tied you up.    If someone routinely abuses these features, they could easily end up cursed by a lot of angry players and that should have some real consequence.    If you are only imprisoning people who deserve it, you shouldn't need to do it that much and shouldn't be at much risk of getting a bunch of curses thrown your way.   Also, it would be important to address the dangers of twins, triplets, and quads ... when players play together, they can do more damage and they are harder to stop, if they want to harm other players.

Another suggestion I've made in the past is the idea of a village militia.   The farmers rising up to defend the village when it is attacked.    The idea is that the majority of long-shaft iron tools - iron hoe, iron shovel, adze, pickaxe, iron axe, etc - could be used as lethal weapons.  BUT ... they can only be used to target killers - someone currently holding a bloody knife, bow, or sword.   You cannot target someone who is unarmed or holding a non-bloody weapon.   After the attack, the villager's iron tool becomes bloodied and he has the same cooldown as a knife user.   The idea behind this concept is that it increases the defensive strength of the average villager without raising the risk for random, unprovoked murder.    If someone kills your favorite sister right in front of you, then you can immediately retaliate using your trusty shovel.  But if you get pissed off at your other sister for being a prissy bitch, you have to go find a knife or bow to kill her.   You can't just bash her skull in with a wood-cutting axe.

This also means that if someone comes over to investigate the murder yelps, they can clearly tell that you were avenging your sister's murder, because the shovel CAN'T be used for first strike.   You didn't start the murders, but you did put an end to them.

I think that would be a significant improvement over the current state of affairs where you must have some weapons around in case someone starts killing people but just by having weapons around the village, you increase the risk of someone going rogue and killing randomly.   And it alleviates the situation where you are getting attacked and no one has a knife or bow handy to defend themselves, so you just end up getting picked off with no option to attack or defend or even run away!  It also lets you defend your village against coordinated raids or war parties.   The farmers can rise up with pitchforks and torches to drive off the griefer or to defend their homes and family from would-be attackers.   Maybe you could even integrate the village militia with the state of war.   In addition to targeting killers, you can attack anyone in a warring family using iron tools, but obviously they are not as strong as the war sword.   This would allow more people to be involved in the fight during a state of war.  Your entire village could go into battle and fight the entire population of the other village at once.

There are many interesting ways that we could deal with griefers, beyond our current options.   

But I'd also really really like to have a proper curse system that imposes real consequences on cursed players, so that the frequency of attacks could be reduced by removing high-frequency offenders from the game-space - either to somewhere outside of the Rift or to a separate DonkeyTown server.    A murder spree is dramatic and exciting if it happens once in a while, but it is not enjoyable to constantly deal with pointless violence and destruction.   I need a proper amount of peace and progress to be able to find any value in the occasional "exciting" lives.    When the balance is tipped toward griefing, I lose emotional investment and desire to play each time I spend an entire life dealing with a toxic level of griefing.

Looking at my village militia idea again, I'm noticing that this would be an excellent addition to the game now that we have limited tool slots.   If you are a hard worker and invest all your tool slots in practical tools, you don't have any space left over for a dedicated "weapon".   But this leaves you defenseless, if someone comes over and starts killing people.   Alternatively, you have to reserve one slot on a bow/knife, even if you don't plan on using it and don't need it for your job.     If regular tools could be used as defense-only weapons in times of crisis, you could dedicate yourself to the art of farming and not worry as much about dealing with random outside threats or wasted tool slots.   

But more importantly for the original topic, you could knock out the griefer and put him in the stocks so everyone can mock him and throw tomatoes at his stupid face.

That makes sense, and would help with full tool slots as well like you mentioned.
It would be good to have it only be possible with at least one or two other players that agreed as well.
Always wondered if in the future there would be security cams or something similar available to build?
Also I always thought it would be cool to be able to train dogs for sheep herding, or guard dogs, or tracking dogs?
Like with a sheep dog, you place him in a sheep pen. If one escapes, he'll corral it back in. And maybe even be linked to the last sheep, so if someone attempts to kill or does kill the last sheep, the sheep dog would bite the player that killed the last sheep, unless it was the owner of the dog maybe?

#13 2019-11-09 18:43:40

Lum

Kaveh wrote:

We have the posse system. What if you could only tie someone up with a lasso if at least 2, 3, 4... players have joined your posse? Then, you can lead them anywhere, and have a transition where you put the person in the stocks. Stocks need to be locked, I suppose, so the person could struggle for about ten seconds and if it's not locked by then they get out. If they do get stuck in the stocks, people may curse the person, throw tomatoes at them, feed them, etc.

ign: summerstorm, they/them

Board footer