One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#51 2019-11-08 13:00:30

pein

Re: Coming Soon: Boundless World 2.0

Current scores are weird I don't quite get why 31 or older people affect me negatively. It's not like you can do much about it, lock yourself up with your family and don't let them out? But then they quit out of boredom.

Btw when whatever had his script, people from forum had their stats displayed, with an average age of 43-47 people were top 5 from what I seen from the 500+ hours range.

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#52 2019-11-08 14:10:06

Tempted

DestinyCall wrote:
Gogo wrote:

How about assign best players to best moms, everything based on genetic score? This will naturally distribute players to similar playing people.

So the rich get richer and the poor stay poor?    Kinda harsh.   

But I guess that's realistic at least.

Lol was gonna say, if you're going for realism, that would be close

#53 2019-11-08 17:34:35

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Again, if your score jump was based on how long the offspring lived relative to their own score, the it would be possible to get an endless string of positive score jumps, and thus have own your score rise arbitrarily high.

Having the jump be based on your own current score solves this problem, because once you get high enough, your score stops going up naturally.

An arbitrarily high score isn't necessarily a horrible thing, but it does make it much harder to base side-effects on.  Knowing that the score will be a fixed range makes it very clean.

And of course, a capped score is even worse, because then at some point, you will get 0 points from a long-lived baby.  In the current system, your score jumps will get asymptotically close to 0, but never hit 0, as you get close to a score of 60 yourself.

#54 2019-11-08 18:04:21

Stormyzabeast

Omgggggg YES!!!!!! I'm seriously going to cry lol!!! THANK YOU!!!! My favorite game is coming back!!!

I am Eve Toadvine. I name my kids Alex, Jason, Jake, Holly and Disney characters. Forager and road builder extraordinaire!

#55 2019-11-08 18:41:32

DestinyCall

jasonrohrer wrote:

And of course, a capped score is even worse, because then at some point, you will get 0 points from a long-lived baby.  In the current system, your score jumps will get asymptotically close to 0, but never hit 0, as you get close to a score of 60 yourself.

Maybe I'm just bad at math, but why should I care if my score is rising by such a small amount that it is essentially zero?

Seems more honest to just admit that I've reached the maximum amount possible and my score isn't rising any further.

#56 2019-11-09 09:30:01

The_Llamacorn

Oh my god, I can't believe you finally got rid of the arc and rift, thank you so much. I was so happy when I saw this I almost cried, I'm gonna go play the game right away.

Noobs are fine, but noobs that don't listen and refuse to learn, get on my nerves. Your ignorance will lead you to Donkey Town one day.

"Hugs from grandma"
-Rose Winter

#57 2019-11-09 10:14:52

FulmenTheFinn

So spawning as Eve will be RNG-based, be slightly influenced by genetic score, and in practice only be available during low pop hours, or if enough families have very recently been massacred, or if the arc has reset within the past couple of minutes.

For most of us this is the same as taking the ability to Eve out of the game. Not happy about this.

Eve Whiskey, i.e. "Whisler".

Add zoom and hotkeys to the base game (see Hetuw mod) to improve the popularity of the game.

#58 2019-11-09 18:34:38

Spoonwood

FulmenTheFinn wrote:

So spawning as Eve will be RNG-based, be slightly influenced by genetic score, and in practice only be available during low pop hours, or if enough families have very recently been massacred, or if the arc has reset within the past couple of minutes.

For most of us this is the same as taking the ability to Eve out of the game. Not happy about this.

Yea, I agree that this lack of choice isn't good for the game.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#59 2019-11-10 03:48:47

ChickenBatnana

I made this account after months of lurking just to say that whatever you do, please change the name. 'Genetics score' is misleading and makes very little sense with the way it is now, and as someone very interested in actual genetics it pains me a lot ^.^

#60 2019-11-10 04:16:28

Keyin

ChickenBatnana wrote:

I made this account after months of lurking just to say that whatever you do, please change the name. 'Genetics score' is misleading and makes very little sense with the way it is now, and as someone very interested in actual genetics it pains me a lot ^.^

In what way? what name would be better?

I do agree genetic score should be based upon "The reproductive success of a genotype, usually measured as the number of offspring produced by an individual that survive to reproductive age relative to the average for the population."

However, that number is mostly beyond a player's control because you don't choose if you reproduce or not and men cannot reproduce.

If your kids survive that is a sign your genes are good, if your kids die your genes are bad. Since men don't reproduce it is based on his sisters' kids.

Also, comparing to the general population is difficult because during hours before peak, population is growing so score would be higher. During hours where population is declining score would be lower.

#61 2019-11-10 07:51:44

CatX

ChickenBatnana wrote:

I feel the name could be more fitting.

I guess what we have is more of a "family survival score" or even a "soul score" than a genetic score.

But even if more accurate, they still don't sound like better names to me.

#62 2019-11-10 12:37:50

Kinrany

If your kids survive that is a sign your genes are good, if your kids die your genes are bad. Since men don't reproduce it is based on his sisters' kids.

It should be all relatives, not just kids. The greater the distance between Alice and Bob in the family tree, the less genes they have in common. Exponentially so, even. But also the more other relatives Alice has that are as removed from her as Bob. Also exponentially, I think.

IMO the simplest way to calculate gene score is the sum of all living relatives divided by 2^(distance):

score(Alice) = living_players.map(relative => 1 / 2 ** distance(Alice, relative)).sum()

Edit: except this only accounts for the current life. The same should be calculated for all previous lives too, and summed up. (This does pass the sanity check where the total weight for any other relative is never greater than 1).

Last edited by Kinrany (2019-11-10 12:46:47)

#63 2019-11-10 19:00:47

ChickenBatnana

The point is genetics don't exist in the game. There are no genes, and even if there were genes, they'd probably not make any difference in gameplay. As such it would be totally random whether or not your genes pass on. It would not be based on how old your kids become before they die, it would be based on the number of kids they have. It'd also probably be better calculated after a family dies out. Maybe check how much of the family has had your genes, but then eve and early gen would be op. Genetic fitness is an empty title.

Something like 'survival score', 'family score', or even just 'life score' would be vaguer, but not as much a misnomer. 'Genetics fitness' makes it seem like there is some kind of genetics in the game (there isn't) and also makes it seem like the higher your score the fitter you will be. At least that's how I'd interpret it as a newbie.

#64 2019-11-10 19:05:56

Toxolotl

That is how it works though. The higher your score the slower your food bar shrinks with age. You can maintain quite a few pips in your bar by sixty if your score is high enough.

#65 2019-11-11 19:02:39

Elsayal

Thank You Jason.

Freedom ! big_smile

"I go"
"find"
"ging"

#66 2019-11-11 20:44:34

Saaphia

I just wanted  to say thank you, Jason! I am back in love with the game! smile

#67 2019-11-13 19:51:55

luckynmd

Hey guys, I need your help! I try to play on smaller servers. i.e.:Server7 But even if I use a home marker, I will not spawn at the same place. I guess this is because of the update. I would like to find a way to find my previous spot... I tried running north for 200 squares, east, south, west.... Help!

#68 2019-12-10 19:59:17

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

Eternal survival of one family will be possible through distant resource outposts and migration.

Nonsense.  It doesn't take to much to realize that everyone gets pushed off a server when an update hits.  No fertile females left means no more children and thus dead lineages.  Thus, eternal survival of one family is impossible... at least so long as another update will happen and the update process remains the same.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

Board footer