One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-11-06 14:09:10

sigmen4020
Member
Registered: 2019-01-05
Posts: 827

Re: I miss old OHOL

DestinyCall wrote:

The wolf/seal clothing is finite and eventually can't be found again.

Wolf hats aren't necessarily finite. Wolf breeding is a thing, it's just not something that's found to be useful most of the time. You can make wolf hats as sustainable as rabbit hats if you put in the effort. wink


Race car go brrr

Offline

#27 2019-11-06 14:11:53

Dodge
Member
Registered: 2018-08-27
Posts: 2,324

Re: I miss old OHOL

Yes more clothes pls, we still dont have cowboy and indian hats, might as well go full roleplay at this point...

Also we should have tiny shops, because who cares about an actual reason for trading when i can just pretend doing it.

Offline

#28 2019-11-06 14:20:25

DestinyCall
Member
Registered: 2018-12-08
Posts: 4,108

Re: I miss old OHOL

sigmen4020 wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

The wolf/seal clothing is finite and eventually can't be found again.

Wolf hats aren't necessarily finite. Wolf breeding is a thing, it's just not something that's found to be useful most of the time. You can make wolf hats as sustainable as rabbit hats if you put in the effort. wink


And to be fair, I don't think I've ever been in a Rift that has been in real danger of running out of wild wolves.   

Perhaps wolves are the new oil.    We should probably stay in the rift until Jason fine-tunes wolf supplies so they will deplete properly.

Offline

#29 2019-11-06 14:21:22

fug
Member
Registered: 2019-08-21
Posts: 1,004

Re: I miss old OHOL

DestinyCall wrote:
sigmen4020 wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:

The wolf/seal clothing is finite and eventually can't be found again.

Wolf hats aren't necessarily finite. Wolf breeding is a thing, it's just not something that's found to be useful most of the time. You can make wolf hats as sustainable as rabbit hats if you put in the effort. wink


And to be fair, I don't think I've ever been in a Rift that has been in real danger of running out of wild wolves.   

Perhaps wolves are the new oil.    We should probably stay in the rift until Jason fine-tunes wolf supplies so they will deplete properly.

I mean oil and wolves are both luxuries so that makes sense. Wait until he does the real balancing of gooseberries since the game is completely focused around them at this point.


Worlds oldest SID baby.

Offline

#30 2019-11-06 14:22:12

DestinyCall
Member
Registered: 2018-12-08
Posts: 4,108

Re: I miss old OHOL

Dodge wrote:

Yes more clothes pls, we still dont have cowboy and indian hats, might as well go full roleplay at this point...

Also we should have tiny shops, because who cares about an actual reason for trading when i can just pretend doing it.


You say that as a joke ... but .... we have lassos and bow/arrow.    Everything is ready for a really epic game of cowboys and indians.   

We just need the hats.

Offline

#31 2019-11-06 14:58:44

DestinyCall
Member
Registered: 2018-12-08
Posts: 4,108

Re: I miss old OHOL

Dodge wrote:

Yeah you're right saying goodbye to your 4 year old baby and never seeing them again or never talking with your brother that was born next to you is totally normal and makes for a very interesting game.

I guess as long as you can roleplay being a mom it's all good...

I find it interesting that you mock "motherhood roleplay" in the same post where you complain that we should be more involved in raising our fake children.   

That four year old baby is probably a 22 year old gamer who knows how to feed himself and can build a diesel engine faster than I can.   My siblings are strangers and one of them is likely to be a griefer (try to guess which one ... Isn't this fun!).   Why would some random person want to waste even more of their life being "parented" by me?   Why would I want spend even more of my precious life pretending to occupy the role of parent, if the other person doesn't need my help?   They are not a real four year old.   They already know how to tie their shoes and ride a bike.   

Extending the amount of time that children are completely helpless and require another person to spend time watching over them would not make OHOL a better game.  Three minutes is already a pretty long time to sit around waiting to be able to play.   And forcing experienced players to re-learn basic skills over and over isn't amusing either.  New players benefit from more parental oversight, but experienced players don't need to be literally "babied".  It's condescending, not comforting.   If I have an OHOL mom that feeds me, names me, clothes me, and wishes me luck in my adventures, I consider myself to be very fortunate.   She has done a great job of raising me and shouldn't feel bad that she didn't continue hovering over me for the next twenty years, feeding me bites of pie.

..

Realistically, any family ties in OHOL are completely illusory.  The playerbase is randomly shuffled around, so your aunt/uncle/brother/sister/mother/grandmother are no different from the people in the next town over.  In fact, when you/they die, you will be born into that next family, so everyone on the server IS your extended family.   We are all related.  You ask why I never talk to my brother, but why would I spend extra time hanging out with my "brother" or my "daughter"?     I could be spending that extra time with my "third cousin twice removed".  At least he has a great sense of humor.   

The real player behind the game character is more important than the random relationship assigned by chance.   But since everyone is an anonymous stranger in OHOL, it can be quite tricky to identify good players from bad players.  My own children are as likely to be a secret murderer as the strange man who just showed up in town.    We frequently only get a small sliver of everyone's life story, because we are busy living our own lives and only see a small amount of the world around us. 

There's probably some kind of life lesson to be learned from that aspect of OHOL, when you think about it.    We don't really know everyone's full story, in life and in the game.

Genetic score tries to force some kind of link between your success and the success of your extended family, but it is falls pretty far short of such a lofty goal.   I don't care about my children because of a meme score.  I care about my fake kids because they ARE my fake kids.    I love them, just a little bit more than other people's fake kids and I'm not ashamed to admit that.

Offline

#32 2019-11-06 15:46:58

Dodge
Member
Registered: 2018-08-27
Posts: 2,324

Re: I miss old OHOL

Yeah fuck player interaction as long as i can dress my baby that's all that matters.

It's a solo game anyway... Other players are just NPC's that are programmed to meaninglessly interact with you.

Offline

#33 2019-11-06 15:53:37

DestinyCall
Member
Registered: 2018-12-08
Posts: 4,108

Re: I miss old OHOL

You have completely missed the point, Dodge.

I don't want to over-parent every baby, BECAUSE other players are real people.

Offline

#34 2019-11-06 16:02:44

Dodge
Member
Registered: 2018-08-27
Posts: 2,324

Re: I miss old OHOL

There is no family in the game so it doesn't matter, fertile woman are just spawn points, and "your brother", "your sister" are just meaningless titles.

How about your kids helping your family out? Oh wait there is no family it's just a cluster of people in the same area doing their own shit.

Offline

#35 2019-11-07 03:35:42

pein
Member
Registered: 2018-03-31
Posts: 4,287

Re: I miss old OHOL

you can't build on as shaky mechanic
it's not about positivity or negativity it's about logic
fences, swords, intention-based combat, tiny rift, yum, meme score. you can't build on them.
nobody likes things that run out and moving further and further when there the world is the same and the main resource is limited.

also, you shouldn't tell jason to nerf things even more, cause that well change was on you, it was decent 120 range to block out secondary wells closeby, raising that for the lulz made no sense just stopped pseudo eves. The same way one guy said he doesn't like to be the same place again, and instead of him suiciding, the other 99% of players had to suicide to get back the same place. Jason tends to go against the flow, and that's not the bst thing if there is noo solid logic behind it.


https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

Offline

#36 2019-11-07 04:16:52

Dodge
Member
Registered: 2018-08-27
Posts: 2,324

Re: I miss old OHOL

pein wrote:

also, you shouldn't tell jason to nerf things even more, cause that well change was on you, it was decent 120 range to block out secondary wells closeby, raising that for the lulz made no sense just stopped pseudo eves.

Yes Pein the game would be way better with flags and bases that you can capture, capturing the flag teleports all the ressources to you base, how does that sound?

Offline

#37 2019-11-07 04:26:57

Spoonwood
Member
Registered: 2019-02-06
Posts: 3,773

Re: I miss old OHOL

Dodge wrote:

I'm more disapointed about the constant negativity that could instead be much more valuable feedback

You have to go trough 10 "REMOVE THIS REEEEE" to find 1 valuable interesting information.

Then you're disappointed by people stating their opinions openly.  Negative comments come as part of people's taste.

Dodge wrote:

It could actually be interesting but each change in the game is met with continuous negativity

That's because people don't like the changes and want other directions pursued.  The declining numbers, again without significant periods of upticks in player count since the temperature overhaul, also reflect that.

Offline

#38 2019-11-07 04:33:35

Spoonwood
Member
Registered: 2019-02-06
Posts: 3,773

Re: I miss old OHOL

pein wrote:

you can't build on as shaky mechanic
it's not about positivity or negativity it's about logic
fences, swords, intention-based combat, tiny rift, yum, meme score. you can't build on them.
nobody likes things that run out and moving further and further when there the world is the same and the main resource is limited.

also, you shouldn't tell jason to nerf things even more, cause that well change was on you, it was decent 120 range to block out secondary wells closeby, raising that for the lulz made no sense just stopped pseudo eves. The same way one guy said he doesn't like to be the same place again, and instead of him suiciding, the other 99% of players had to suicide to get back the same place. Jason tends to go against the flow, and that's not the bst thing if there is noo solid logic behind it.

Most of this.  Except I liked yum and meme score was o. k.

Offline

#39 2019-11-07 06:14:39

Dodge
Member
Registered: 2018-08-27
Posts: 2,324

Re: I miss old OHOL

Spoonwood wrote:

Then you're disappointed by people stating their opinions openly.  Negative comments come as part of people's taste.

I already know you have bad taste in design.

Naked people idling at the edge of a desert btw.

Next update should be all desert edges, just one tile green one tile desert so we are always at the edge of a desert

Did i mention desert edges?

Spoonwood wrote:

That's because people don't like the changes

Yes Spoonwoo i already know people dont like change.

Offline

#40 2019-11-07 17:13:32

Spoonwood
Member
Registered: 2019-02-06
Posts: 3,773

Re: I miss old OHOL

Dodge wrote:

I already know you have bad taste in design.

Sorry, but you can't know such, when taste comes as a matter of opinion.  You made a category error there.

Dodge wrote:

Naked people idling at the edge of a desert btw.

Was more enjoyable for people trying to have children.  They had more spots to be around, and could do things, instead of just standing on a fire.  Naked desert dwellers appealed to more people trying to have children more than burning fire sitters.

Dodge wrote:

Yes Spoonwoo i already know people dont like change.

No, you don't know that, because it's not true.  Plenty of positive comments about the change which involves The Rift going away elsewhere.

Offline

#41 2019-11-07 17:57:19

Dodge
Member
Registered: 2018-08-27
Posts: 2,324

Re: I miss old OHOL

Spoonwood wrote:

Sorry, but you can't know such, when taste comes as a matter of opinion.  You made a category error there.

Well then your opinion is bad, gottem

Spoonwood wrote:

Was more enjoyable for people trying to have children.  They had more spots to be around, and could do things, instead of just standing on a fire.  Naked desert dwellers appealed to more people trying to have children more than burning fire sitters.

Are you seriously still defending the naked edge desert thing?

See your argument doesn't matter because you fail to realize the flaws in your logic, which is to use logic in the first place.

You only see what's in front of you but fail to see the bigger picture.

Spoonwood wrote:

No, you don't know that, because it's not true.

One day you will realize it aswell Spooney

Offline

#42 2019-11-08 09:20:31

Three
Member
Registered: 2018-07-30
Posts: 47

Re: I miss old OHOL

dodge you really are a dick


Uh yeah Jason didn't actually get his shit together
sooo
yeah

Offline

#43 2019-11-08 09:36:50

Spoonwood
Member
Registered: 2019-02-06
Posts: 3,773

Re: I miss old OHOL

Dodge wrote:

Are you seriously still defending the naked edge desert thing?

Yes.  As I said above, it allowed for more optimal temperature spots for fertility purposes.

Dodge wrote:

See your argument doesn't matter because you fail to realize the flaws in your logic, which is to use logic in the first place.

That's not having a flaw in the logic.

Offline

#44 2019-11-08 13:27:32

Lum
Member
Registered: 2018-04-03
Posts: 404

Re: I miss old OHOL

Screw you, Dodge. Just because YOU haven't been able to build any bonds with other players in the game doesn't mean your experience is universal. I like roleplaying with family, and as it turns out, most people enjoy that. I have had countless children live with me for entire lives and it was fucking great. I've had brothers and sisters I went on adventures with. So quit your bullshit about there being apparently no social interaction in the game. That's just you, not trying.


I appreciate they/them pronouns~ thanks

Offline

#45 2019-11-08 22:27:38

Stormyzabeast
Member
Registered: 2018-09-26
Posts: 150

Re: I miss old OHOL

Lum wrote:

Screw you, Dodge. Just because YOU haven't been able to build any bonds with other players in the game doesn't mean your experience is universal. I like roleplaying with family, and as it turns out, most people enjoy that. I have had countless children live with me for entire lives and it was fucking great. I've had brothers and sisters I went on adventures with. So quit your bullshit about there being apparently no social interaction in the game. That's just you, not trying.

Exactly. I've had mom's and grandma's that were so great I made sure I buried them in pretty spots, put roses on their graves and had my kids bury me there with them.

Yeah yeah Dodge, a waste of iron. You probably kill noob babies for eating a pie


I am Eve Toadvine. I name my kids Alex, Jason, Jake, Holly and Disney characters. Forager and road builder extraordinaire!

Offline

#46 2019-11-09 00:09:03

DestinyCall
Member
Registered: 2018-12-08
Posts: 4,108

Re: I miss old OHOL

Stormyzabeast wrote:

Yeah yeah Dodge, a waste of iron. You probably kill noob babies for eating a pie

Fun fact - feeding toddlers mutton pie wastes less water than feeding them domestic gooseberries.

**The more you know**

Offline

#47 2019-11-09 08:11:03

miskas
Member
From: Greece
Registered: 2018-03-24
Posts: 1,086

Re: I miss old OHOL

DestinyCall wrote:
Stormyzabeast wrote:

Yeah yeah Dodge, a waste of iron. You probably kill noob babies for eating a pie

Fun fact - feeding toddlers mutton pie wastes less water than feeding them domestic gooseberries.

**The more you know**


Nope! just tested it.

7 berries cost 1.26 water -> 27.7 food units per 1 water

a muton pie that gives 5 pips cost 3.02 water -> 21 food per 1 water
a muton pie that gives 6 pips cost 3.02 water -> 25 food per 1 water
a muton pie that gives 7 pips cost 3.02 water -> 27 food per 1 water

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ … range=AA14

Last edited by miskas (2019-11-09 08:11:12)


Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

Offline

#48 2019-11-09 08:25:49

Dodge
Member
Registered: 2018-08-27
Posts: 2,324

Re: I miss old OHOL

I had a lot of fun/bonding interactions in my games, all i'm saying is that we could go from 5-10% to 90+%, a lot of wasted potential.

But we will get there eventually no need to get mad smile

Offline

#49 2019-11-09 09:13:10

Coconut Fruit
Member
Registered: 2019-08-16
Posts: 805

Re: I miss old OHOL

miskas wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:
Stormyzabeast wrote:

Yeah yeah Dodge, a waste of iron. You probably kill noob babies for eating a pie

Fun fact - feeding toddlers mutton pie wastes less water than feeding them domestic gooseberries.

**The more you know**


Nope! just tested it.

7 berries cost 1.26 water -> 27.7 food units per 1 water

a muton pie that gives 5 pips cost 3.02 water -> 21 food per 1 water
a muton pie that gives 6 pips cost 3.02 water -> 25 food per 1 water
a muton pie that gives 7 pips cost 3.02 water -> 27 food per 1 water

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ … range=AA14

You actually get 4 mutton pies, each with 4 bites. That's 16 bites for 3.02 water, isn't it?


Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

Offline

#50 2019-11-09 09:23:12

Coconut Fruit
Member
Registered: 2019-08-16
Posts: 805

Re: I miss old OHOL

16 bites of mutton pie is 240 pips, that's enough to survive a whole life for a decently clothed person, isn't it?
That's funny how little cost it is to live a whole life. Making mistake in making engine costs at least one bucket of water... That's entire life for 3 people lol.
Making one rope costs more than feeding one person for a whole life, lmao.


Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

Offline

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB