One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-04 13:39:54

miskas

How does birth destribution work?

I got born twice to the same mother, that also got a third child right away after me,
Also, Mom was 39.4 years old and she was running out in the wilderness, the first bb got abandon, the second starved, the third die a little later with her mom.

No internal clock?

Current player arc has been going 1345 years
Grace Cola
http://lineage.onehouronelife.com/serve … id=5459360

Was Grace the only fertile female in her family?

If not, why three babes?
If yes, why a second bb before the other on dies or grow up?  Isn't there a Family clock? Or all babies go to the smallest family?

Last edited by miskas (2019-11-04 20:22:00)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#2 2019-11-04 13:47:29

Grim_Arbiter

Re: How does birth destribution work?

I think its the area ban. If we still have that? I THINK we still have it under certain conditions.

Girls outside of civilization still seem to have a waaaaaaay higher chance to have kids, so I think it's still there.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#3 2019-11-04 14:03:54

sigmen4020

I think it currently tries to distribute babies to the most struggling families (least fertile females). This is the commit I've found in relation to this:

https://github.com/jasonrohrer/OneLife/ … 436c257017

"New baby distribution method, after Eve window closes: Instead of round-robin, we pick the family with the fewest potentially fertile females (fertile moms and girl children) left and send the next incoming baby there."

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#4 2019-11-04 16:54:12

Grim_Arbiter

While I'm not the most proficient at reading code, I can see he basically did a switcheroo and only changed that one thing.

SO

You gotta go to the round robin change.

"After Eve window closes, babies are distributed between remaining families round-robin. Within each family, when it's their turn to get a baby, heat an yum fertility bonuses still affect which mother in the family is chosen. Note that area/lineage bans, birth cooldowns, and other factors still apply. We only send a baby to the next family, round-robin, if we can according to these other factors."

So yep area and lineage bans are still there

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#5 2019-11-04 17:02:57

DestinyCall

Considering the reports of mothers giving birth to 20+ babies and my own experience of being reborn repeatedly to the same deadbeat mom, I don't think area/lineage ban actually stops you from coming back to the same family/mother if the number of available mothers is small.

Since extra babies have to go somewhere (and they can't become Eves), you can and will have three babies in three seconds or the same /die baby five times in a row, if server conditions are right for baby storms.

#6 2019-11-04 17:16:04

Grim_Arbiter

Yeah so definitely "certain conditions" can void those bans.

So lets say you play for 6 hours and have been born 6 to 8 times.. depending on the arc and number of families theres probably anywhere between 2 and 6 major towns.

Currently (from well sparseness) there are only 2 or 3 major birthing sites on the map. So area ban and lineage ban are basically at their highest.

When there's nobody out in the wilderness (which would be like 200 tiles?) the game will ignore area and lineage and shoot you to those towns anyways.

HOWEVER

Once one or two girls leave that zone and are in the "wild" they can be bombarded by everyone who is area banned and lineage banned and become the only one who CAN have you.

--Grim

#7 2019-11-04 18:04:43

DestinyCall

That explains why I seem to be the most fertile when I am least prepared for babies. 

And why I keep getting shot out of women riding on horses.

#8 2019-11-04 18:36:49

miskas

ok but, Does Anyone know the priorities of these rules, which rule overwrites the others?

1st priority: All BBs go to the wakest family until the total number of females > the min number of females.
( I haven't seen this be the 1st priority , I get born to the biggest family a lot.)

2nd priority: Area ban?
3rd priority: Lineage ban?
4th priority: internal clock?
5th priority: Yum?
6th priority: Temperature?
7th priority: do we have anything else?

Last edited by miskas (2019-11-04 18:48:47)

Killing a griefer kills him for 10 minutes, Cursing him kills him for 90 Days.

4 curses kill him for all of us,  Mass Cursing bring us Peace! Please Curse!
Food value stats

#9 2019-11-06 01:13:00

Grim_Arbiter

Bump for jason

--Grim

#10 2019-11-06 02:58:20

olooopo

Its documented in the server.cpp in github at around line 6800-7100.

As far as I understand it, it works as follows:

Priority 1: Pre-selection of all available females. This basically generates a list of all available mothers for the incoming bb.
Criteria are:
1) Female can have bb? (is female on birth cooldown)
2) Is the BB permitted from the family line?
3) Is around the mother's position a personal curse for the bb active?
4) Is one of the bbs twins banned?
5) Is the mother a donkey?

Priority 2: If the list is empty then all fertile females are considered but with regard to lineage and area ban. Thus, a donkey will be born a donkey but birth cooldown of the mother will be ignored.

Priority 3: Remove all mothers who have been previously skipped by the bb from the list. If all mothers have been skipped, then the full list will be used.

Priority 4: Generate a distribution from all the mothers who are still on the list.
Here Jason implemented a round-robin system for prioritizing a different family for each consecutive bb.
Jason skewed the distribution in a way that it's almost sure that one female from the prioritized family gets the bb. In this family, the female with the best temperature and the best yum is most likely to get it.
However, if there are no females from the prioritized family on the list (e.g. due to location block), then a female from a different family will get the bb (w. r. t. yum and temperature).

Edit: Oh shit, I was looking at an older commit version. The previous round-robin system looks now for the lineage with the lowest number of girls and prioritizes that family. Also, if a family is low on girls the BB will be forced to born as a girl. Still, if the BB has an area or lineage ban it will go to another family. I'm btw. not sure if the lineage ban is still a thing if you get cursed.

Last edited by olooopo (2019-11-06 03:51:22)

Board footer