One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-11-03 08:22:58

DestinyCall

Dude, where's my well?

Either the rift needs to be much smaller or the number of viable water sources needs to be increased to allow more viable village locations to be developed over time. 

Right now, the majority of the map is effectively an empty wasteland, barren of meaningful choices and interesting gameplay.  Being born outside of town pretty much guarantees you can't do much of anything except wander around eating berries and looking for dead people.   By the time the Eve window closes, the necessary resources for making a basic camp are already stripped and gone from the majority of the rift (milkweed, ground iron, spring/well).    Why give us so much space, if it is so useless?

Wandering for half your life in search of something to do is not exciting or engaging.   Please fix.

#2 2019-11-03 09:09:45

DiscardedSlinky
DubiousSlinker

Re: Dude, where's my well?

No. No 500x500 Hell cell again.

I'm Slinky and I hate it here.
I also /blush.

#3 2019-11-03 09:17:43

DestinyCall

Good point.   That's far too big.

200x200 max.

#4 2019-11-03 10:14:13

Grim_Arbiter

I'm pretty sure he popped into the discord and said that theres a bug with the wells he's gonna fix.

I think the well tapout radius was too high, or it counted too many, or something along those lines.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#5 2019-11-03 11:01:54

Coconut Fruit

Instead of tapout radius it could be better if one family could build only one well. Anyway only 6 families spawn after apocalypse.
There would be no more well grieffing at the arc beginnings.

I agree, the rift is too big.

Making own private server (Very easy! You can play on it even if you haven't bought the game)
Zoom mod
Mini guide for beginners
website with all recipies

#6 2019-11-03 12:06:11

Kaveh

One well per family sounds like a top notch idea. Could have more than 6 families spawn in then, since families can live together.

#7 2019-11-03 15:03:13

fug

The biggest issue this arc is he didn't push the tap out fix and I believe there's one well this time around. Spent an hour leading the Thunder family on a nomad search to find any spring site or well for about 56 minutes until we finally reached the one along the south side of the map.

This is my first time experience the well search instead of being one of the people who makes the wells and let me tell you - If you have no idea where the wells are located on the map its hell searching around. It made for a good one time experience but if the game was going to be like that an hour after reset I would just avoid playing or /die until I reached a well.

Since none of the springs were completely dry we just assumed there was a well somewhere along the line or fresh springs somewhere ( we walked east to west and then south, and finally back east before we found the town which we only found due to dug big rocks.)

Unless he really refines it (and even still) I think this is just something that should be scrapped. Keep the oil one because it helps with finding the tapped tarry spot but limiting wells via the drying method is just not very good. If he's going to stick to the limiting water game plan he should limit spring sites instead as this allows for people to start up but doesn't kill all the viable spots on the map in <30 minutes of the arc being started.

Experience wise 8/10. Was alright but wouldn't do it again.
Gameplay wise 1/10. Hour long walking simulator has been done better before.

Last edited by fug (2019-11-04 01:02:02)

Worlds oldest SID baby.

#8 2019-11-04 01:00:17

Psykout

The more I see the more I am reminded of DnD DMs on powertrips that every turn try to one-up players of their game constantly. Every tweak to keep this constant struggle, a stranglehold on the playerbase. Rather than backing off and seeing what happens in a time of prosperity, let it run its course and see how far it can go before finite resources run out, and what is done during that process, people are now desperately searching for wells to stave off starvation. This is starting to just sound sick man. I literally don't even know what the approach is anymore. I don't understand what intellectual data can be gathered from this, I just see people desperately trying to hang onto hope, pointing out random silver linings as the storm clouds roll in. Like wtf really.

More than ever this feels like a kid with a magnifying glass on an anthill.

Last edited by Psykout (2019-11-04 01:01:08)

#9 2019-11-06 02:12:07

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yes, there is a bug.  Fixed in code, but won't go live until the servers restart.

I've been manually adding wells as VOG to compensate.

Board footer