One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#51 2019-10-24 06:46:21

CatX

Re: I trust in Jason's decisions

jasonrohrer wrote:

Which is why I discuss the game and design problems constantly with other game designers.

But do the experts understand your game? Games are very different after all. The people who love chess might or might not be the same people who love crosswords. I know people who love crosswords who hate Sudoku. Because it has numbers. (Although to be fair, it might be the logic part that puts them off, not the numbers themselves.)

And someone who understand what makes 1st person shooter games work might not  recognize what makes, let's say, Stardew Valley fun.

So it should be of value to you to know what kinds of players are attracted to OHOL, and why. At the very least, you should ask them why they picked up the game in the first place. And then, you should ask how you can capitalize on the specifics that draws people in first before you look to other kinds of games and genres.

OHOL does have something very unique, something intriguing, that sets it apart from other games and that just might appeal to a different kind of players, or at least inspire a different kind of play style. If you find a way to nourish that, I think you'll be fine.

#52 2019-10-24 07:33:05

pein

I need my cut Jason, for reasons xD

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#53 2019-10-24 10:00:08

Psykout

This entire thread is incredibly heartbreaking and sad. There is so much cherrypicking on both sides that it leaves a sour taste that is hard to wash away. Jason - you should have never taken the bait, and I don't think there are many, including myself, that care what satire you were attempting to grasp. You have been rude and very selective to what you have responded to. This approach, will win the hearts of few, piss off a couple, but largely will just make the majority not care. You have outcasted your biggest community voices, waiting on the sidelines until they were frustrated, and then tried to make examples of them afterwards to why you don't budge. Rather than being eloquent with your words and feelings, you have made yourself seem incredibly immature with attacks on certain users, while also ignoring honest complaints from others.

Mentioning your profits was incredibly stupid, and amazingly juvenile. What did you honestly think can happen from doing that?  How in the flying fuck are we supposed to feel and respond to that? Congratulations, you make more money than me, and more than I may ever make in a month. You have successfully proved that money is a measure of success, great role model.

I am not saying add whatever some random joe mentions into the game, but to spit in the face of people that have fought for QoL changes or minor additions to make a life slightly more enjoyable? You want these emergent stories to come out, but seem to not have a grasp on that we want that too, but to be forced to do so kills the enjoyment of it. You are trying so hard to squeeze that out of a rather small playerbase, instead of giving us air and fuel to grow into a wonderful fire. Just because we like to spend a good deal of our free time playing games, and to escape to a world of another's design, does not mean we want to be puppets in some experiment.

All around us, we have seen the industry change, with big companies and producers with big budgets prey on a creative industry. Creating game loops that are only good at sucking people in, only to spit them out afterwards, tempting them to stay with promises of "We'll make it better, we care about our players" Bullshit. You want to say you like to do things in a realmaking way, but last I checked we are still throwing our piles of grain all over the ground next to our piles of shit. Advanced enough to make a diesel engine to pull water out of the ground, can't figure out how to make a barrel to store grain... Makes sense.

#54 2019-10-24 13:10:03

StrongForce

I think I should stop reading the forums
And just play the game.

Baby dance!!

#55 2019-10-24 15:08:53

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Psykout, I've been working on this game solo for 4.5 years.  I need to do something to keep my sanity in the face of all this nonsense, so I get a little loopy and join in the fun.  We are having fun, right?  It's also my job to keep you entertained.  To give you something to wake up for.  To keep the show rolling.  To keep you on your toes.  To keep you guessing.  The hand is quicker than the eye.  It's all smoke and no mirrors.

None of this is serious!

I'm making a game.  I'm having a great time doing it, and I'm successful at doing it.  There's nothing "sad" about it.  It's the most joyous thing in the world.  And at the end of the day, one of the most meaningless things in the world.  Art and entertainment are the last things that you grab when the ship starts sinking.  I'm making the icing on the cake, or maybe just the candles in the icing, or maybe even just the sparkler sticking up above the candles.

I'm also, and have always been, transparent about my financial results.

But I'm not taking the bait here.  I know you don't actually think this is "sad".  Your dog dying is sad. 

I know you're just playing along.  It's just part of the act:  The battle between good and evil, between greed and justice, between sublime achievement and pathological folly.  On an internet forum.  About a computer game.

Now back into character.... bwa-ha-ha-ha.  Oh wait, I've been in character the whole time.  Or haven't I?

BTW... how do you know those were my real financial results?

No wait, those are definitely my real financial results.  No need for doom and gloom.  OHOL keeps on trucking.

And you've never, never, ever had a dev like me!

#56 2019-10-24 17:46:02

Psykout

I am opinionated but not delusional. I know that you are taking stabs and making remarks out of jest, otherwise you wouldn't have even joined the conversation. Part of that sadness is transferred for sure, part of it is real. I used to play your game a lot, now I don't at all. I still check these forums and occasionally post, because I don't want to let go of the experiences I had in the past. I don't like that they are past tense. I don't know how to fix it, just as you don't know exactly either. You need to keep to your vision, and keep innovating off what you have to work with. I don't discredit that. But we are along for the ride, and that bus feels like its getting shorter as the months go by. I think a lot of us just want to have fun in the process and enjoy the little things, which is hard to do right now. It's scary because the game ceases to function without players, but more importantly, it becomes increasingly hard to survive without people. I separate the two, because numbers are numbers, but a person is a person. You can mask us with surnames and the same sprites, but in the scale we are sitting in, individualism matters. There is only so much the communal shoulders can take, before they need a break. If we lose the core group, it becomes harder to grow. As I said earlier, catering to any whim that has a voice - asinine. What I think some of the longer term players are feeling, is that we want to live, not just survive in your game.

So many changes to up the ante, keep the struggle there. I get it, 50 backpacks floating around a town is nonsense. But I bet you, and I don't have much to bet with these days, that if they weren't the best storage container at our disposal, they would not have been made. Shoot for the stars, because thats a dream no one should ever try and take from someone. But somewhere along the way, share some love and give us a break. Something as simple as a box that holds 10 wheat goes a long way. I have not given up on this, but at the same time a pastime should be enjoyable not full of frustration. Struggling hour to hour is something I do way to often, its not fun to do it inside your game every time I login.

#57 2019-10-24 18:56:35

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Maybe a box or barrel of wheat is coming in the future, but I also hope you can understand that I'm just one guy and it's not a huge priority, in the face of all the other problems the game has.  That's one little thing.  It's like fixing tomatoes and onions.  Yeah, yeah, it needs to be done at some point, but mostly when I find the time to fit in in (and I did fix it finally, when I had the time).  I have to pick my current focus.  There's a list of 150 little things that need to be fixed in github.  I will get through them all eventually.

Regarding backpacks, what I saw was a huge cache of EMPTY backpacks.  Maybe they were intended to be used as "better storage baskets", but I didn't get that impression when I saw them.  And yeah, it would be 16 small things stored in a box instead of 12, but for small things, the slot box holds 10, and is way more convenient.

Regarding why you don't play anymore.... checking your meager hours (unless you have two accounts or something?), the game is clearly not good enough, and that's what I'm working on fixing.  I don't think you would have played a lot more if only you could put grain in boxes....

I think "getting sick of the game" is a combination of these things:

• Lives all feeling generally the same

• Hard to attach meaning to things that you work on in life after you die

• "Missable" moments---there's no reason to play today instead of tomorrow.  You won't miss anything special today.

• General lack of challenge.  This ties into the meaning issue, because if I have to pick between A and B, and it doesn't matter what I pick, then my choice is meaningless.

• Interactions between players are not all that rich or interesting.  There's a short honeymoon period where it's like, "Holy crap, my grandmother gave me her clothes before she died!  I've never seen this level of emergent storytelling in a game before!"  But it wears off quick, as you realize that these interactions don't go any deeper than that.  GL BYE at age 3, etc.

Fixing all of these things is my current focus.  Adding another biome or fixing wheat storage can wait.

The other main focus is onboarding issues.  People don't have a chance to even get sick of the game if they don't make it through the tutorial or give up after a few lives.  But that's a secondary focus, because this game isn't for everyone.

Top priority is making the game as insanely good as possible for the people who it's obviously for.  The people who are willing to learn the 40 steps it takes to make fire.  The game should be way more interesting and meaningful for them long-term than it currently is.

#58 2019-10-24 19:30:34

Grim_Arbiter

StrongForce wrote:

I think I should stop reading the forums
And just play the game.

I had to do this with the discord at one point lol.

--Grim
I'm flying high. But the worst is never first, and there's a person that'll set you straight. Cancelling the force within my brain. For flying high. The simulator has been disengaged.

#59 2019-10-25 04:15:21

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

But I'm not taking the bait here.  I know you don't actually think this is "sad".  Your dog dying is sad.

Oh here we go again.  No, what you just did there was sad, Jason.  Yet again, someone told you how they felt.  You told them 'no, that's not how you really feel'.  The applicable term here is 'gaslighting'.  And I do find it sad, because it's disrespectful and insulting to people.

jasonrohrer wrote:

I know you're just playing along.  It's just part of the act:  The battle between good and evil, between greed and justice, between sublime achievement and pathological folly.  On an internet forum.  About a computer game.

You don't know any such thing about Psykout.  And again, you're gaslighting someone Jason.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#60 2019-10-25 04:27:02

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

I think "getting sick of the game" is a combination of these things:
Lives all feeling generally the same

Yes.  I personally got tired of living in towns 'oh, this town needs a road to the tarry spot.  I know this issue, but probably no one else will build that road, so I guess I will.'  Also, a game with regular *content* updates doesn't have that sort of situation where "lives generally all feel the same".  When someone just first learns a new technology such as making a diesel engine, they don't feel that all lives feel the same.

jasonrohrer wrote:

Hard to attach meaning to things that you work on in life after you die

Yes, because it's difficult to see what happened after you died.  That's exactly why people such as myself requested the ability to get reborn into the same spot.

jasonrohrer wrote:

"Missable" moments---there's no reason to play today instead of tomorrow.  You won't miss anything special today.

No.  I don't recall feeling that.

jasonrohrer wrote:

General lack of challenge.  This ties into the meaning issue, because if I have to pick between A and B, and it doesn't matter what I pick, then my choice is meaningless.

Nope.  Never recall feeling that.  Sometimes I thought about efficiency in the game.  I don't think there existed a single life where I felt like I had optimized all of my choices and executed everything perfectly.  I don't recall ever, NOT ONCE, feeling a lack of challenge.

jasonrohrer wrote:

Interactions between players are not all that rich or interesting.  There's a short honeymoon period where it's like, "Holy crap, my grandmother gave me her clothes before she died!  I've never seen this level of emergent storytelling in a game before!"  But it wears off quick, as you realize that these interactions don't go any deeper than that.  GL BYE at age 3, etc.

No, I don't recall that either.  I played with people that I watched stream on Twitch, or had played with before each of us Eve-chaining, or played in towns where I met people from the discord.  That said, some people have complained about the lack of marriage in the game, so I do think that there's something to this.

jasonrohrer wrote:

Top priority is making the game as insanely good as possible for the people who it's obviously for.  The people who are willing to learn the 40 steps it takes to make fire.

40 steps to make fire supposedly.  I think that's a sign that the game is plenty challenging.  One of many.  I don't recall all that many, if any, about the game being too easy.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-10-25 04:28:26)

Danish Clinch.

#61 2019-10-25 15:04:26

Dantox

jasonrohrer wrote:

Maybe a box or barrel of wheat is coming in the future.

Adding another biome or fixing wheat storage can wait.

Not gonna lie, i have never programmed in my life (i did have a class about it in school and that was about it) but adding a wheat barrel cant be that hard to fix the wheat storage problem besides drawing the different states and just coding the storage part.

Hell, you could add it in the next update along the skills update or whatever, i am very sure it would be very appreciated by us.

make bread, no war

#62 2019-10-25 15:21:17

karltown_veteran

I'm glad you trust in him. A lot of people definitely don't.

.-.. .. ..-. . / .. ... / ... - .-. .- -. --. . .-.-.- / ... --- / .- -- / .. .-.-.-
ˆ ø˜ç´ ƒ®åµ´∂ å˜ ˆ˜˜øç∑˜† å˜∂ ©ø† å∑å¥ ∑ˆ†˙ ˆ†
he xnt bzm qdzc sghr, xnt zqd z enqlhczakd noonmdms
veteran of an OHOL town called Karltown. Not really a veteran and my names not Karl

#63 2019-10-25 15:41:05

Jwillc

I'd love it if we could store Masa dough in a clay crock. Like just fill it up with dough, then use a bowl to get it back out. I feel like there'd be way more tacos if this were a thing, and more tacos can't possibly be bad. I find it really satisfying to make them, but I hate that I have to occupy so many bowls to do it.

#64 2019-10-25 16:13:17

jasonrohrer
Administrator

karltown_veteran:  but despite all that distrust, you're still here!

The lunatics are running the asylum!

Regarding the wheat barrel, it would not be hard.  But I'm a mono-focus kinda guy.  This game has a TON of moving parts, and it's hard to keep them all in focus at once.  So what I do is drill down on one thing at a time.  Other things, like digging into wheat storage, are a distraction.

#65 2019-10-25 23:39:32

pein

dirt roads jason, it's simple, we need it, it would help a lot on town design, would not be hard to implement

simply pathways that decay unless upgraded, would prevent planting on them and signal where you need to make a road
like fences for walls but for roads

it would be awesome upgrade to city plans
free tiles are hard to find generally

also upgrade fences to walls, like boxes on walls
possibly a switch box which would need item both sides to swap and a confirm click to swap over
that would make personal property and trade somewhat viable

https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=7986 livestock pens 4.0
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4411 maxi guide

Playing OHOL optimally is like cosplaying a cactus: stand still and don't waste the water.

#66 2019-10-26 06:52:23

Psykout

jasonrohrer wrote:

checking your meager hours (unless you have two accounts or something?), the game is clearly not good enough, and that's what I'm working on fixing.  I don't think you would have played a lot more if only you could put grain in boxes....

I would love to see my total hours played on psykout88@gmail.com created through steam on your end. I used a modded client not long after being a part of the community. I am slightly appalled that you tried to even call me out on that, when I recall multiple 8-12hr days when I was not working logged into your game. By my count I am at least a few hundred hours logged, which is a good amount, for a 20$ game. A 20$ game that I bought a second account for, simply to come back to a town that gave a shit and I liked, to give them a nudge and to support you because I thought you deserved more that 20$ per entry. I have probably used the second account for less than a dozen hours, because it was rare that I felt like I needed to bypass the system. For the most part I was happy, and just kept living random lives doing what was needed. I enjoyed your water update because it got me off my ass and made me learn how to make an engine. Completed only one live though, because people either turned my rods into swords or just straight stabbed me because I was productive and a ginger.

To counter your possible sarcasm, yes it would have. One small thing to make my life as a baker and bakery builder would have made me play more. I knew you made a game that sometimes you have to just be a cog, and I ALWAYS took up the mantle as the main food producer of the town. I tried doing that in other ways, such as the town lumberjack, gathering damn near a hundred logs in a life, but I doubt it went far because that town died out. Still happy doing it. I would be happy as a motherfucking clam taking the shit jobs for hours on end, if it went somewhere. The rift got us slightly closer as if you know what you are doing, you can get back to somewhere if you aren't killed first. Not a great barrier to entry, but at least it's finally there. What happens beyond that milestone (multi-day town) is in your hands, and I hope you play those cards well.
Th
To sum this up, for one, I actually want to know the hours I put into your game under my email/identity. I want to know what you consider as meager. Because I remember countless days of my roommates saying "playing One hour again eh?" and I remember telling everyone I knew liked games about it. I want that back good sir, I really do. These days getting 30-40hrs out of a game for 60$ is decent, anything over 100 is nutso, if I really am that delusional, please let me know. If spending hours logged, hours in discord, hours on the forums is considered meager by todays standards, then I am hanging up my controller/keyboard and giving up a passion I have had since I was 3yrs old running DOS games with my mother over my shoulder teaching me command prompts to run them.

Last edited by Psykout (2019-10-26 06:57:14)

#67 2019-10-26 07:14:01

Psykout

Spoonwood wrote:

You don't know any such thing about Psykout.  And again, you're gaslighting someone Jason.

Thank you. I am sad for the reasons I feel sad. No one can truly quantify that measure, but only express empathy. I had many days that I stayed up till the sun came up, slept a small amount of hours, and woke up to instantly log back into the game. To discredit that makes me feel regret and remorse in a way that I can't articulate. I shouldn't need a comprehensive resume to post my feelings to a forum about a game, thats just rediculous. Sure I am hinging off your post because you are supporting me, the internet loves echo chambers, but I am trying to make a stand here. I feel something, and that feeling is important to me. I don't want to sit there and have someone tell me that I haven't put in enough hours to be valid about my thoughts. I invested my time, mind and money into this product. I don't want MY WAY, I want a way that I can be a part of people enjoying what I enjoy. These ideas are formulated from reading and understanding a lot of opinions on this board. Every break I get from work, I come here first and read everything I can before I have to go back to the grind. It's my top site visited. You type an "O" into any browser I use, mobile or not, and the first thing that pops up is this forum. To be attacked for my intellectual passion is sickening.

#68 2019-10-26 07:20:58

jasonrohrer
Administrator

There was no sarcasm in that post.

"meager" wasn't an insult to you as a player, but a sign that my game was not good enough.

I saw 8.2 hours for your main account connected to your email.  I cross-checked this with the server logs and found the same number of lives (42) there as are logged on the review server.

Your recent steam review shows 32.5 hours, so it looks like you have more than one account.

On the other hand, I don't mean to suggest that I want to make a game that people play for 50+ hours.  There are some people who had ONE amazing live in OHOL and felt like they got their $20 worth.

However, sadly, from a business perspective, the longer people play, the more they tell their friends about the game.  Games that people only play for a few hours don't tend to sell very well.

There are many cheap tricks that you can use to keep people playing (skinner box stuff).  My goal is to make a game that can produce interesting and deep situations long term without ever tricking your brain that way.

#69 2019-10-26 07:35:16

Psykout

jasonrohrer wrote:

There was no sarcasm in that post.

"meager" wasn't an insult to you as a player, but a sign that my game was not good enough.

I saw 8.2 hours for your main account connected to your email.  I cross-checked this with the server logs and found the same number of lives (42) there as are logged on the review server.

Your recent steam review shows 32.5 hours, so it looks like you have more than one account.

On the other hand, I don't mean to suggest that I want to make a game that people play for 50+ hours.  There are some people who had ONE amazing live in OHOL and felt like they got their $20 worth.

However, sadly, from a business perspective, the longer people play, the more they tell their friends about the game.  Games that people only play for a few hours don't tend to sell very well.

There are many cheap tricks that you can use to keep people playing (skinner box stuff).  My goal is to make a game that can produce interesting and deep situations long term without ever tricking your brain that way.

I am sorry for being so agressive. I honestly can tell you that have put way more time in than that. 8.2hrs was done in a single day. My steam review was because I was upset, mostly at what life has handed me, and for you candor. But I also trust that you are not harmed by the counter actions of said candor. I wish that you could see into my mind and see what I saw in your game. The thing that lead me to losing sleep, something I was obsessed about. I have shed tears seeing people live and care about what I have built. I have spent 10+hrs in day living past the code, the family blockouts of 1.5hrs to make something. My imgur account was made specifically to save images from your game. I want these interactions that you do to, I just feel as a player, a veteran player, to be harder to give because its a fight on so many levels. Most would call me an egotist, but give me mutton and a barrel full of wheat and I would feed generations, and I am down to make that sacrifice. I know you want us to live a life and step away, and think about it, but you can't always control that. There is a special magic in you thousands lines of codes that not many dare to enter into. I will always fight to give power to those that believe in that, so we can pass that onto our children.

Side note= Second account was only made to break past the lineage ban. What tools you have to track us is flawed. I have lived WAY more than 42 lives in your game. WAAAAY more. Shit in a vacation time at my height of playing the game I regretably spent at least 30hrs in 3-4 days. Not trying to counter you for effs sake, just that you are missing data.

Last edited by Psykout (2019-10-26 07:38:28)

#70 2019-10-26 23:42:12

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Yes, for the public record, I found your Steam account, and I'm seeing:

1325 lives, 275.6 hours

I know that many people play the way you are describing, using SIDs and alternate accounts to keep playing in the same area.  I'm not really sure what to do about this.  This game is fundamentally about death, and people are using this trick to cheat death, effectively.  Instead of saying goodbye, they are saying BRB.  Death in OHOL should be as crushing as a video game death can possibly be.

And separate from emotional impact, it's also about WHY this game exists.  Otherwise, what's the point?  It's just a 2D minecraft where you have to walk back to find your body every 60 minutes.  The "One Hour" part becomes just an annoyance.

I have NO idea how to build a game that actually makes saying goodbye more real.  I can make villages much further apart, but that undercuts inter-village interaction.

I could also have a different meta-structure, with tiered existence planes, where you can only live in each plane one time.  So when you die, you say goodbye to this plane, and get born on the next one.  This has the bad side effect of spreading the players out.

I could be the case that you can only be born into each family once, and if you run out of families, you must start a new one as Eve.  That is actually kinda cool, but it means that each family is doomed in pretty short order..... though maybe not, with enough player churn.

Still, if fams are close enough together, you can still return to finish projects.  But that's a little different than being BORN back to the same projejct (because you return as an outsider with a different lang, etc.)

In general, this game has huge, hard-to-solve meta problems like this....  I've been wrestling with these problems forever, it seems.

#71 2019-10-27 00:04:09

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

I know that many people play the way you are describing, using SIDs and alternate accounts to keep playing in the same area.  I'm not really sure what to do about this.  This game is fundamentally about death, and people are using this trick to cheat death, effectively.  Instead of saying goodbye, they are saying BRB.  Death in OHOL should be as crushing as a video game death can possibly be.

The game as it works neither is nor ever was fundamentally about death.  No, it should not be that way either.  People should have the ability to get reborn into the same spot.  Your concept here shows that you have weak ideas, because instead of wanting satisfied customers you want people upset by the constraints of the game, which they know get imposed by the game designer.

jasonrohrer wrote:

And separate from emotional impact, it's also about WHY this game exists.  Otherwise, what's the point?  It's just a 2D minecraft where you have to walk back to find your body every 60 minutes.  The "One Hour" part becomes just an annoyance.

No, it would not work that way.  Physical needs exist in real life.  Stretching often comes as needed.  The one hour thing could serve as a reminder that the real world exists.  In a way, since the game has no pause button, it's kind of like doing a continuous activity.  The one hour time limit enables a break.

jasonrohrer wrote:

I have NO idea how to build a game that actually makes saying goodbye more real.  I can make villages much further apart, but that undercuts inter-village interaction.

Jason the whole part about village interaction suggests that you might have doubts that saying goodbye really makes for a priority of yours.  I mean, you clearly won't take measures to ensure that it always happens.  Consequently, one could be forgive for believing that you're not actually interested in that.

jasonrohrer wrote:

I could also have a different meta-structure, with tiered existence planes, where you can only live in each plane one time.  So when you die, you say goodbye to this plane, and get born on the next one.  This has the bad side effect of spreading the players out.

Plenty of people have reported that they don't like being bunched up in the rift.  Consequently, spreading the players out doesn't seem like a bad effect.

I could be the case that you can only be born into each family once, and if you run out of families, you must start a new one as Eve.  That is actually kinda cool, but it means that each family is doomed in pretty short order..... though maybe not, with enough player churn.

jasonrohrer wrote:

Still, if fams are close enough together, you can still return to finish projects.  But that's a little different than being BORN back to the same projejct (because you return as an outsider with a different lang, etc.)

In general, this game has huge, hard-to-solve meta problems like this....  I've been wrestling with these problems forever, it seems.

I don't believe that Psykout agrees with such as problems.  And so do other people who have bought multiple accounts or wanted to have the ability to get reborn into the same spot.  You aren't correct to/if you assume that just because you view something as a problem, others will see it that way also Jason.  You are not entitled to only hear from people who only agree with you on what is a problem and what is not a problem, nor is anyone else in the crowd not wanting negative comments.

Last edited by Spoonwood (2019-10-27 00:05:16)

Danish Clinch.

#72 2019-10-27 03:31:16

Psykout

The sids was never to get back somewhere, it was just to not be in a big town and in a starter village. Bigger towns at the point I played a lot had little to be done and often were filled with drama. Tons of murders and lots of people standing around doing nothing having high school locker room conversations. Not my cup of tea.

The second account was used maybe 5 or 6 times, as it was about coming back to a certain family that I wanted not as much the town or what I was working on. I wanted to do more for them, to give them a fighting chance to live through the night and then said goodbye for good, almost never seeing them or the town again.

See the thing is, having lives so short and the way death is setup for me, makes lives so meaningless. It makes the goodbyes feel like nothing because there wasn't really time to make a connection. With the overlaps in age, you usually spend maybe 30ish minutes around someone. Maybe have said just a few sentences to them. You probably never worked on anything together or shared many or any moments with them. Then suddenly you are supposed to care if they die?

If living to old age triggered the respawn, we would take care of our elders. Seeing some greybeard forget to eat when teaching someone smithing would be jarring and sad. Seeing a teen get bit by a wolf when there's no thread around would be a tragedy. Someone logging off for the night would be an actual goodbye. 36hr to 72hr lineage/area ban, respawn to same family if death is from old age. Too many people screw up then within a short time the village is blocked off to the server and will perish.

#73 2019-10-27 07:02:13

Kinrany

jasonrohrer wrote:

Though there's also something fundamentally unsatisfying (for most people) about the premise.  You only live an hour and say goodbye to your projects at the end of your hour.  That is much less likely to "hook" people than a game you can play all night, working on the same project.  Many of the players that have become hooked on OHOL have done so by routing around this limitation, either by playing on empty servers, using (now blocked) coordinate exploits, or (now) simply knowing their way around the rift.

Is this different from games where everything resets between rounds?

#74 2019-10-27 07:10:14

Kinrany

jasonrohrer wrote:

Maybe a box or barrel of wheat is coming in the future, but I also hope you can understand that I'm just one guy and it's not a huge priority, in the face of all the other problems the game has.  That's one little thing.  It's like fixing tomatoes and onions.  Yeah, yeah, it needs to be done at some point, but mostly when I find the time to fit in in (and I did fix it finally, when I had the time).  I have to pick my current focus.  There's a list of 150 little things that need to be fixed in github.  I will get through them all eventually.

Regarding backpacks, what I saw was a huge cache of EMPTY backpacks.  Maybe they were intended to be used as "better storage baskets", but I didn't get that impression when I saw them.  And yeah, it would be 16 small things stored in a box instead of 12, but for small things, the slot box holds 10, and is way more convenient.

Reminds me of "The Goal": a book about management that argues that virtually every enterprise (in-game civilization/game development) has a bottleneck that limits everything else. There could be hundreds of different little things to work on, but doing some of them would widen the bottleneck and therefore affect the whole system's output. The rest can pretty much be ignored forever.

#75 2019-10-27 10:32:00

Coniculls13
Website

The original message of this post was quite wholesome and one that very much resonates with me.

It's admirable to see how Jason involves himself in this discussion and battles with the endless critique.

Maintainer of Two Hours One Life - a curated OHOL server. Discord https://discord.gg/atEgxm7

Board footer