One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2019-10-19 19:16:04

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Re: Great video about how to make a rabbit snare

That graph doesn't differentiate between wild and dom gooseberries, but I bet it's mostly domestic.

And I'm okay with that graph.  Gooseberries are convenient, but the mono diet is horribly inefficient.  People eat that many of them because it doesn't matter.  Because efficiency doesn't matter.  Which is a huge problem.  Which is what I'm working on fixing.

#27 2019-10-19 19:26:21

jinbaili83

People plant gooseberrie because we need lots of them for wool and compost, there is no alternative. Then eating them is easy, no cooking just pick from bush.

Last edited by jinbaili83 (2019-10-19 19:26:47)

#28 2019-10-19 20:34:54

Spoonwood

jasonrohrer wrote:

That graph doesn't differentiate between wild and dom gooseberries, but I bet it's mostly domestic.

And I'm okay with that graph.  Gooseberries are convenient, but the mono diet is horribly inefficient.  People eat that many of them because it doesn't matter.  Because efficiency doesn't matter.  Which is a huge problem.  Which is what I'm working on fixing.

I think it can be efficient to eat wild gooseberries and cactus fruits if you have a long task out of town, such as road building to a tarry spot.  But, if your weren't considering that sort of case, I think I would agree that eating wild gooseberries and cactus fruits isn't all that efficient, more yumming would be more efficient.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#29 2019-10-19 21:10:14

Amon

As we know, most players don't go far much, so for those few that do go out and munch on wild foods, well... they probably don't contribute that big of a fragment to the eaten berries.

Gooseberries are a food that were heavily reinforced to new players as the de facto food to eat by both other players and the especially the tutorial.
The menial task of tending berries perpetuates grazing. Since grazing is a reinforced habit by some, they expand the patches under the pretense of feeding sheep. When sheep don't really need that many berries to begin with, it's actually the munching that's supported by bigger patches.

Probably increasing the cost of cultivating gooseberries won't curb the need to plant it. As those that perpetuate that behavior are fine with being ineficient in the first place.
Removing all outlets that require gooseberries but really shouldn't might help. The composting cycle. Actually maybe even put a disturbance on carrots too. We can take it even further. Make pigs poo instead of sheep and lets see how then food dynamics change. Will everyone eat carnitas out of the bowl then?

IMO rabbits should've been left as is. But have their products decay since everything in their acquisition is renewable anyway. Have traps decay even and have a water cost along it.

My favourite all time lives are Unity Dawn, who was married to Sachin Gedeon.
Art!!

PIES 2.0 <- Pie diversification mod

#30 2019-10-19 21:48:24

DestinyCall

Yeah, I'd like to see the compost cycle reworked so it doesn't rely on berry/carrot bowl.    It creates a weird circle that has never felt logical to me.

#31 2019-10-20 08:35:42

The_Anabaptist

Compost should really be made out of rotten banana peels.  And pine needles, just to give them a real purpose.  Just saying.

The_Anabaptist

Board footer