One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#26 2018-03-30 22:47:00

Dchella

Re: Update: Name that baby

As nice as this is, I am completely disappointed in the blacklist.
I would like to name my kids a lot of names, which currently aren't on the list. These names are overall so "American" that it hurts.

This blacklist is terrible. I'd rather go around in the world and find a name called shitface, instead of having my creative experiences hampered... it's just a bit much. Why can't we just have banned names, instead of having accepted names? It allows more creativity.

Last edited by Dchella (2018-03-30 22:59:54)

#27 2018-03-31 20:46:36

jasonrohrer
Administrator

It's an aesthetic thing on my part.

I don't want names like "shitface" or "LollypopKiller65" or whatever appearing in the game.  That ruins the aesthetic that I'm trying to create.

In fact, that's why I never allowed names to begin with.  There wasn't a good aesthetic reason for them, and so much aesthetic clutter can result.  I mean, especially if players could name themselves or display a handle in the game.  I'm not "jasonrohrer" in the game, I'm playing as some random baby born somewhere.

But then someone came up with the idea of Eve naming a family line, and giving your baby just a first name, and then I thought of the whitelist as a way to eliminate distracting names.  There's a good reason to name babies when it helps you track your family lines.  It adds meaning to the game.  And it also puts you a the mercy of your mother in one more way.

"Players want/like names" is not a good reason.  That's not the way that I design games.  Almost all games have names because players want/like names.  And the result is all kinds of distracting, irrelevant, and illusion-breaking text in the game.

Almost all games have unlimited chat as well.  This game has limited chat.  I don't even allow you to control caps lock or enter random ascii characters.

As for the list being American, well, I am American, and this is an American game filled to the brim with American English.  What list should I have used?  There are already over 100,000 names on the lists.  That's a LOT of names, and includes a lot of non-English names, because the USA is such a cultural melting pot.

For first names, I think the list includes all names from 2016 that were used by more than 5 people.  For last names, I think it's names that were used by more than 200 people (I had to trim the list a bit for last names, because it was so big).

But guess what?  The names of two of my kids (Novy and Mez) weren't on those lists, because their names are so unique...

#28 2018-03-31 21:40:18

OxPower

Not to lick anyone's boot, but you absolutely did the right thing regarding names. If you start adding more names and last names players will eventually find an "offensive" combination. For example the totally normal sounding name Pete, in my country means blowjob. The more you know.
Also I'm totally cool with how the chat works. It forces players to stop and pay attention to each other, which makes RPing a lot easier and common place. It has a feel of "stop and smell the roses" for me.

#29 2018-04-03 17:31:02

seth

Love this feature, the way it's implemented and the justification..

One suggestion though!
Something I've always tried to do when naming my children, was to choose names entirely grounded in the world of One Life - so rather than picking common names from my own culture, I would choose names related either to where the child was born, what was going on in our civilization when they were born, what was an important value for us, or what they may be doing in their life time.

Would it be possible to add to the whitelist to be in line with that?
Examples:
Fire
Water
Sapling
Tree
Soil
Seed
Milkweed
Carrot
Sheep
Rabbit
Fur
Forge
Traveller
Nomad
Seeker
Wander
Seedling

It's understandable why these names aren't common in real life, but in One Life, these are indigineous people of the land, and it makes sense that they would name their children in accordance with nature present.. It also can give a child a sense of their destiny: I once I had a child named Oasis who saved our town by discovering much needed water nearbye.. (Fortunately Oasis is on the list) I would love it if the whitelist could include the names of objects in it's world, and ways of being in the world..

Whatcha think?

Thanks!
Seth

#30 2018-04-04 22:09:31

Goliath

Can't name my child anything with any god names.

Satan
Lucifer
Lilith
Jupiter
Neptune
Uranus
Pluto
Charon
Gaia
Earth
Kokopelli
devil
Eagle
bear
redhawk
redeagle
redbear
blueturtle

If you catch my drift, I've a big occult fanboy.

Last edited by Goliath (2018-04-04 22:09:51)

Teamwork makes the Dreamwork.

#31 2018-04-13 20:23:15

Blade123

I don't see any names. Only "brother", "sister" or "cousin". Is this a bug?

#32 2018-04-13 21:07:44

sliderule

Blade123 wrote:

You need to have been named by your mother.  Did she at any point pick you up and say something to the effect of "you are george"?

#33 2018-04-14 00:05:52

Blade123

sliderule wrote:
Blade123 wrote:

You need to have been named by your mother.  Did she at any point pick you up and say something to the effect of "you are george"?

Yes, almost every time I've spawned. But I can't see any names for some reason.. strange. Even players who aren't in my family don't have a name for me. Am I the only one having this issue?

EDIT: Nvm, now I can see names for the first time. Very strange, happened after posting here big_smile

Last edited by Blade123 (2018-04-14 00:09:05)

#34 2018-05-15 11:17:32

Tane

Any chance you could add polynesian names?
As for the American thing, well... Hawaii. Plus, you've got a few players from New Zealand that would like to be able to use them

#35 2018-05-15 20:48:02

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Well, the first names include all names that occurred more than 5 times in 2016 in the US, including Hawaii.

I just checked, and "Moana" is on the list, so we've got the Polynesian names covered.    (just kidding smile ).

Also, because the US is a melting pot full of immigrants, it's probably a pretty good sampling of names from many parts of the world...

Anyway, 30,000 names is a lot of first names..... there's quite a lot of variety on that list.  It's not just "standard" American names like Bobby and Suzy.... it's full of names that I've never heard before, names I can't even pronounce.

There are probably millions of names in the world, however, and I have to draw the line somewhere.

Also, just saying "Add some names from _____" doesn't help much.  I'd need a source of data.

Maybe there's a better, more comprehensive list than the one that I'm using.  Give me a link to it, and I'll take a look.

Also, I'm definitely not supporting accents, special characters, or different character sets in the name lists....   A-Z characters only, please.

#36 2018-05-15 21:33:34

Tane

Yeah, I thought accents would be a bit much.
Here is a link to the site I found with a list only ' instead of the macrons.
http://www.thenamemeaning.com/categorie … ian-names/

The good thing is because of the origins quite a few are the same in south asian countries too.
Nice work on fixing the decay problem btw. It made a massive difference

#37 2018-05-16 19:22:11

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Sorry, what I meant was:

Give me a more comprehensive list of names....  Maybe there's a list with 60,000 names or 100,000 names instead of my 30,000 name list.

I'm not looking to add names from someone's favorite part of the world....  there are too many people with too many favorite parts!

#38 2018-05-17 03:30:40

YAHG

jasonrohrer wrote:

Sorry, what I meant was:

Give me a more comprehensive list of names....  Maybe there's a list with 60,000 names or 100,000 names instead of my 30,000 name list.

I'm not looking to add names from someone's favorite part of the world....  there are too many people with too many favorite parts!

At LEAST add in the names of all the animals and plants you put into the game. That way baby muflon shall not perish from this earth?

"be prepared and one person cant kill all city, if he can, then you deserve it"  -pein
https://kazetsukai.github.io/onetech/#
https://onehouronelife.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=1438

#39 2018-05-17 15:37:59

jasonrohrer
Administrator

Well, I'm looking for human names here...

I know some people are named after non-human things.

But there is something special and strange about human names.  These made-up words that don't necessarily mean anything.  Nonsense words that we call ourselves.

Maybe this is a strictly Western or even English idea....  or maybe the meanings have just been lost/forgotten.  My first name supposedly means "healer," but nobody knows that meaning.

My last name means plumber, though, and any German would know that meaning.

#40 2018-05-17 19:07:32

Turnipseed

So your a healing plumber lol

Be kind, generous, and work together my potatoes.

#41 2018-05-18 09:37:34

Tane

jasonrohrer wrote:

Maybe this is a strictly Western or even English idea....  or maybe the meanings have just been lost/forgotten.  My first name supposedly means "healer," but nobody knows that meaning.

My last name means plumber, though, and any German would know that meaning.

Its all meaning I guess.

I think that names, like ideas and concepts develop over time into a more complex versions of themselves.
Like with my culture, we were colonized a little over 200 years ago so we still have a duality of meanings in our names. On one of the more popular soaps here one of their names is Maori, Te Koha O Rangi, which translates as The Gift of Heaven In English, where my first name is Steven, has its meaning is lost over several dozen cultures which all attributed their own. In Maori, its Tipini, which literally translates to Steven.

I'll try to find a database that big that isn't just on single cultures, but I don't know where to look at the moment.

#42 2018-06-07 19:08:19

Boltentoke

The family tree is an awesome feature for a game like this!   +2

Board footer