One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#51 2019-10-18 01:00:31

DestinyCall

Re: Rabbits will no longer respawn, ponds will no longer refill

Spoonwood wrote:

People have been clamoring for more content.

Someone on the discord says that the rabbit change will remove content.

Don't worry.   The content is still there.   

It just isn't as accessable or fun.

Last edited by DestinyCall (2019-10-18 01:09:58)

#52 2019-10-18 01:30:57

Spoonwood

DestinyCall wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

Alright, I concede this one.  You have the superior argument, sir.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

#53 2019-10-18 01:35:55

DestinyCall

Spoonwood wrote:
DestinyCall wrote:
Spoonwood wrote:

Alright, I concede this one.  You have the superior argument, sir.

*hands Spoonwood extra bag of popcorn*

Let's see how this shakes out.

#54 2019-10-18 01:56:27

StrongForce

Muflan hide /seal skin
Reed skirt
Strawhat

Last edited by StrongForce (2019-10-18 01:58:00)

Baby dance!!

#55 2019-10-18 02:08:45

DestinyCall

Mouflon hide decays after ten hours now, but seal hide lasts forever.  Same with straw hat and reed skirt.   Later on, you can wear wooden clogs and sheep skin for a really attractive "dutch cottonball" look.

#56 2019-10-18 03:22:27

Spoonwood

Jk Howling wrote:

Its better now guys!!1 He fixed it!

I found that funny.

More seriously, as an Eve and in Eve camps I can remember either cooking raw rabbits myself or someone else doing that.  I think I've seen that happen in early camps on stream on Twitch also... might have even seen that happen this week watching Twisted (even though I haven't played since June and don't plan on playing in the future).  It wasn't so much for purposes of yum.  Sure, someone can argue that's sub-optimal, but again I'm talking an Eve camp before an oven, before a wheat farm, and maybe wheat lies far away.  And food often comes as needed immediately or almost immediately in those situations.  There was a logic to cooking rabbits over hot coals early, and then later also for yum.

But now?  There's no point in cooking multiple raw rabbits unless efficiency of food concerns don't exist since 10 pips for a cooked rabbit is less than the cost of bait of a mashed berry bowl and a carrot, and only one more pip than a burdock (it probably takes more than 1 pip of time to do everything necessary to hunt a rabbit).  So cooked rabbits as a significant food source other than for a water pouch is out.  Cook one rabbit... if you're still playing that is.

Oh, and what do you tell new players or to children who ask 'job?' now?  Rabbit hunting made for a great thing to do for new players or anyone not knowing what to do, or as I heard on discord, for someone wanting to avoid drama in towns.  All of that is out.  And who among the playing playerbase wanting this or asked for?  And why would a new player reject something simple and useful as rabbit hunting?  Am I the only one here who remembers rabbit hunting as a new player and thought it was nice to have such a thing to do in the game?

Danish Clinch.

#57 2019-10-18 03:23:56

Spoonwood

Oh and players have LOVED their backpacks.  Honestly, scores of players have seemed to like backpacks more than insulating clothing.  And now... well... backpacks will be on the decline.

Danish Clinch.

#58 2019-10-18 09:51:21

sigmen4020

Spoonwood wrote:

More seriously, as an Eve and in Eve camps I can remember either cooking raw rabbits myself or someone else doing that.  I think I've seen that happen in early camps on stream on Twitch also... might have even seen that happen this week watching Twisted (even though I haven't played since June and don't plan on playing in the future).  It wasn't so much for purposes of yum.  Sure, someone can argue that's sub-optimal, but again I'm talking an Eve camp before an oven, before a wheat farm, and maybe wheat lies far away.  And food often comes as needed immediately or almost immediately in those situations.  There was a logic to cooking rabbits over hot coals early, and then later also for yum.

But now?  There's no point in cooking multiple raw rabbits unless efficiency of food concerns don't exist since 10 pips for a cooked rabbit is less than the cost of bait of a mashed berry bowl and a carrot, and only one more pip than a burdock (it probably takes more than 1 pip of time to do everything necessary to hunt a rabbit).  So cooked rabbits as a significant food source other than for a water pouch is out.  Cook one rabbit... if you're still playing that is.

This is actually a really good point. I remember even in later towns where rabbits are so plentyfull that they are basically clutter, that cooking them over hot coals helps clean up the town. Sure it isn't as optimal, but it helped clean up towns pretty well. I would have preferred for raw rabbit to decay rather than this. If raw rabbit decayed there could be reason to cook them over hot coals, as to not waste the meat entirely if plates aren't plentiful.

Now however if this change goes through, cooked rabbits will be joining the ranks of awful foods such as cooked beans or shucked corn. It's gonna be even worse than those foods though since at least you gain a tiny amount of food by eating them. Eating cooked rabbits will now cost more food than you get.

Scratch that. Rabbits in all of its food possibilities would be absolutely terrible. The only reason you would ever want to snare a rabbit would be for clothing. I'll show here how even the rabbit pies would be garbage after this change. Here is the pip value of a berry-carrot pie compared to a rabbit pie:

zM5IbzN.png

So why exactly would you use berry-carrot mix to snare a rabbit to put on a pie, when you can just put the berry-carrot mix on a pie crust and get better food out of it? The fact that the berry-carrot pie would be a better prospect than a rabbit pie is pretty funny, since the berry-carrot pie is already considered to be the worst pie in the game.

Conclusion: With this change every food with rabbits involved would be now considered the worst food items in the game if the change is go through. The only reason you would ever snare rabbits with this change is for fur for a backpack or bellows early game. Even this is debatable since horsecarts and carts have been buffed, you're better off just not bothering with backpacks, since it would be such a tremendous waste of ressources.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#59 2019-10-18 12:48:58

Potjeh

FFS not another thing that uses bowl of berry and carrot. Why not a bowl of wheat or something?

#60 2019-10-18 14:33:31

D3mon1cblack

this just feels like rabbits are being nerved because backpacks dont decay ... (i still dont know why bp doesnt and the rest of the fur does btw) you could have given us a way to cure rabbit fur's to make them last longer but no now we have a rabbit nerf. Goodbye rabbit hunting im gonna miss it T.T

im eve groot or eve degroot and if i dont care and spawn next to an item ill call myself eve (itemname)
420 mushroom cultist and proud of it!

#61 2019-10-18 15:15:12

Spoonwood

sigmen4020 wrote:

Shucked corn being 5 pips per corn, that's 20 pips for a bowl of water and some soil.  Green beans at 4 pips per bite and 6 bites per bowl and 1 bowl per plant provide 24 pips for a bowl of water and some soil.  One might say even that shucked corn is 20 times the food that cooked rabbit will be.  And that's only IF you can manage to get a burdock for bait for the rabbit.

sigmen4020 wrote:

So why exactly would you use berry-carrot mix to snare a rabbit to put on a pie, when you can just put the berry-carrot mix on a pie crust and get better food out of it?

You're right.  Berry carrot pies will easily outclass rabbit pies for purposes of efficiency.  Berry carrot pies also clearly take less time than making berry-carrot bait and getting a single rabbit.

d3mon1cblack wrote:

this just feels like rabbits are being nerved because backpacks dont decay

I don't think that's it.  Jason posted a video about rabbit trapping in the real world.  So, it's probably done because of how something works in the real world, without consideration of how such will affect the balance of the game.  Yep, that bad of a design process.

Danish Clinch.

#62 2019-10-18 15:29:04

Saolin

I would have preferred a snare that breaks. Or using just a carrot as bait. The cost of collecting rabbits is very high now and will severely reduce the availability of clothing in early game, while also reducing early game food options. This change probably makes the early game harder now more than it effects the late game. I think I prefer the exhaust-able rabbits more because of this factor.

I don't like this change, but I am willing to see how it plays out. If you think about it rabbits were pretty op, giving some of the best clothing items while also being a great food source simultaneously, for little more than a fairly brief time investment.

D3mon1cblack wrote:

this just feels like rabbits are being nerved because backpacks dont decay ... (i still dont know why bp doesnt and the rest of the fur does btw) you could have given us a way to cure rabbit fur's to make them last longer but no now we have a rabbit nerf. Goodbye rabbit hunting im gonna miss it T.T

I think he changed the backpack decay because people were complaining about the exploding backpacks. I don't like the inconsistency with clothing in regards to decay. For the most part I think it should be all decay or no decay, rather than a seemingly arbitrary some decay.

#63 2019-10-18 15:46:24

Spoonwood

Saolin wrote:

I think he changed the backpack decay because people were complaining about the exploding backpacks.

Twisted on stream said it was because a sword in a backpack would prevent decay.  Thus, making the change to decay for backpacks made them all of the same type... non-decaying.  One could have inferred that the problem was the sword, but that person wouldn't be Jason, because he just won't ever infer that swords make for a problem even with complaints about them and players walking away from the game.

Danish Clinch.

#64 2019-10-18 15:51:59

sigmen4020

Thing is that this change wouldn’t have been so bad if it just a domestic or wild carrot used as bait. For this to be ideal it would be preferable if he also increased cooked rabbit’s pip value to put it more in line with foods, but nope he had to make it crazy expensive for no reason. Also wild carrots as early bait makes way more sense, since both are actually in the same biome.

I swear this change is worse than his limited rabbits idea.

For the time being, I think we have enough content.

#65 2019-10-18 16:28:38

DestinyCall

Spoonwood wrote:
Saolin wrote:

I think he changed the backpack decay because people were complaining about the exploding backpacks.

Twisted on stream said it was because a sword in a backpack would prevent decay.  Thus, making the change to decay for backpacks made them all of the same type... non-decaying.  One could have inferred that the problem was the sword, but that person wouldn't be Jason, because he just won't ever infer that swords make for a problem even with complaints about them and players walking away from the game.

Ah.  I wondered what prompted that sudden change.   

I hadn't noticed anyone complaining about backpack decay, so it seemed like it came out of the blue.    I wondered if someone was using backpack decay to teleport items out of the rift or something.

This makes a lot more sense .... sort of.

#66 2019-10-18 16:56:15

Spoonwood

sigmen4020 wrote:

Thing is that this change wouldn’t have been so bad if it just a domestic or wild carrot used as bait. For this to be ideal it would be preferable if he also increased cooked rabbit’s pip value to put it more in line with foods, but nope he had to make it crazy expensive for no reason. Also wild carrots as early bait makes way more sense, since both are actually in the same biome.

I swear this change is worse than his limited rabbits idea.

Eh, maybe it's a toss as to which is worse.  Both are terrible, awful ideas for the game.  The limited rabbits could make bellows griefing more destructive to a settlement.  The bait implementation makes backpacks a scarcity if playing efficiently, makes rabbit based food silly for purposes of efficiency and only good for yum... well... after shucked corn and green beans, but has less of a potential griefing problem.  Yea, both are just rotten and show an out of touch designer with his game and the playerbase.  No one who bought the game seems to have asked for it.  No one who bought the game wanted it.  And plenty of players will probably be even more unhappy when the implementation goes live.  Furthermore, new players end up less likely to stick around, because there won't exist a relatively simple and easy task like rabbit hunting that newish players could pick up without too much time played.  I won't be surprised if numbers drop substantially for a few weeks.

Danish Clinch.

#67 2019-10-18 17:02:49

Twisted

Just for clarification my understanding of the backpack change comes from this commit which references this issue.

#68 2019-10-18 17:05:03

Spoonwood

Thanks for the clarification Twisted!

Danish Clinch.

#69 2019-10-18 17:11:10

DestinyCall

It probably won't cause a noticeable drop in players, because many players don't pay that much attention to the development process.   They won't notice that something major has been changed for a while, because it is easy to miss a little change that has big downstream side-effects.    For more players, they will experience a subtle shift in game-play experience as backpacks become more scarce, rabbit-hunting ceases to be a valid profession, and basic survival becomes harder in mid-level towns due to a lack of clothing/backpacks.   

New players won't realize what they are missing, so it won't directly impact their initial impression of the game.   They got overwhelmed and starved to death in the middle of town before the change and they'll do the same afterwards.   But the lack of backpacks will have an impact on their mothers, who will be forced to abandon more babies to the cold or leave behind valuable supplies.   Yes, this change will definitely make the game more "interesting" for a lot of people, whether they realize it immediately or not.

#70 2019-10-18 19:18:12

The_Anabaptist

All these proposed changes made me realize something important.  As a player, I'm finding myself spawning in game as a baby less and less.  Once a week is getting pretty close at this point.  Pretty soon I'll need a carrot as bait too.

The_Anabaptist

#71 2019-10-18 19:30:50

DestinyCall

You should hold out for mashed berry and carrot.

It tastes better.

#72 2019-10-18 21:14:02

Ilka

Maybe someone should make Jason realize that rabbits don't feed on berries. Sheep don't eat berries either. And especially gooseberry. Compost can be made from everything that is organic. Not necessarily from gooseberry and carrot.

The results of these great changes will be:

- faster dying of Eve camps - lack of readily available clothes and food - rabbit meat and eggs (do I good understand that when you dig a well all the ponds in the area disappear?)
- it creates many opportunities for griefs - how to drain all the water on the map before someone creates the engine
- I have not yet been to a city where all the inhabitants would have advanced clothes, which means that we will be stuck with skirts of grass and animals leather which won't even be stapled,
- the backpack will be something overly valuable,
- a lot of people liked to be a hunter, now it will be a hassle and not pleasure,
- less pies combinations.

What problem does it solve? Are there too many backpacks? So what? By riding a horse cart you can easily find and bring 20 and more backpacks found to the city.
Why doesn't Jason make simple changes that would make the game easier? Eg chopping swamp trees should not be considered hungry work.

Jason works without thinking and in the easiest way for himself.

#73 2019-10-19 01:08:08

Saolin

What if we had a hay crop?  In real life it makes up the bulk of a domestic farm animal's diet, supplemented by grains such as corn or (bowl of) threshed wheat (source: I grew up on a ranch adjacent to my grandparent's farm).  Visually it would be a pale green version of wheat that doesn't need to be threshed.  The issue is it would be incredibly inefficient if treated the same as wheat, you'd need to get at least 4 servings out of it to be not be horrible compared to how things work for current domesticated animals in-game.  On the other hand it would nerf other good food sources such as milk, mutton, and carnitas in a similar way to how rabbits are being nerfed, if the goal is to create strain on late game food options.

#74 2019-10-19 17:09:32

Ilka

It's even easier - from spring to autumn sheep graze on their own.
Only in winter they need to be fed with hay and other feeds.
In fact, for it to be realistic, sheep should be left alone in the pasture.
You don't have to feed them.
They give birth to lambs themselves.
Of course, the pastures need to be changed because the grass begins to end quickly.
So every village should have several penss.
In pens where sheep do not graze, the grass grows back.
It would be more realistic than feeding sheep with gooseberry bowls.
Of course, that would be too easy.

Here you need blood, sweat and tears.

It can't be too easy!

And also water - each village had its own water source - a river, lake or just a well.
These wells have not dried up for many generations.
And they didn't need engines to extract water. 
Just a simple underpressure.
Such pumps are still standing in my city today - just wave this lever and the water will flow.

http://fotoforum.gazeta.pl/zdjecie/4082 … escie.html

No oil rigs, diesel engines, gasoline etc.

#75 2019-10-19 18:07:39

DestinyCall

Actually, moving around a herd of sheep would be an interesting mini-game.    Animals kept in bare pastures could be fed using hay or grain, but rotating the flock to greener pastures would be a valid strategy, if it took a while for the sheep to eat all the grass.     You could have free-range sheep tending, with a large flock which is herded between naturally grassy areas by a shepherd.   Or your village could have dedicated fields, fenced in to contain the sheep, and kept green by rotating the animals between pastures every hour or so.   

We even have collies in the game.   So moving sheep could be made easier by having more people help manage the herd or by using a sheep dog.

Board footer