One Hour One Life Forums

a multiplayer game of parenting and civilization building

You are not logged in.

#1 2019-10-16 19:58:36

Spoonwood

Temperature Blending Should Return and Other Changes

First off, for those of you who believe that the temperature overhaul improved the game, I will point three things out:

1. The system lead to the only viable spot for temperature optimization before a floored room (which takes a while) consisting of a fire.  Before the temperature overhaul one could hug a desert edge or stand in the middle of a jungle for temperature optimization.  It's simply not as interesting to stand around as to move around, so the temperature overhaul was poor from the beginning in that respect.

2. The pre-temperature overhaul system was more complex.  Thus, it needed more parenting to explain than the new system.

3. There existed significantly long upticks in player population preceding the temperature overhaul which have not similarly happened.  In particular, from sometime in December until January, and from sometime from February until the middle of it, player population increased as can get seen by the redline on this graph provided by Jason: https://i.imgur.com/djVG3FJ.png  The temperature overhaul happened in mid February, and there have not existed significant upticks in player population similar to that since then.

Did people wearing clothing have a positive value to it?  I don't know really.  It's hard to say which ends up more appealing visually, naked characters in OHOL or clothed ones.  But, even if clothing does work out as better than not all other things being equal, clothing no longer heats people beyond the middle temperature point.  Thus, clothing would still be always beneficial were a temperature blending system to return.  And let's face, the temperature shock system hasn't made sense.  Temperature blending had a logic to it.

As other ideas about how to improve this game:

0. End the Rift and go back to an Eve spiral where after an update players the center will be at a 'big town' location as it once was.  The concept of a finite map never made sense, as it limited the potential playerbase, and The Rift hasn't been popular, as well as leading more to a situation of civilization maintainence instead of civilization building.

1. The game should have a choice screen of some sort.  Players consistently enjoy having a wide variety of options in games, different map types in the civilization series, different asteroids in Oxygen Not Included, different landing spots in Rimworld, and in many other games no doubt.  What should a choice screen look like?  First off, a choice screen probably shouldn't be available for anyone looking to grief a town.  The most consistent thing about griefers comes as that they don't usually live to 60.  So, in my opinion, a choice screen should only appear when someone has lived to 60 in their previous life.  Once they have the player has a list which includes the following: A. Random.  B. Last family.  C. Eve, and then a list of the remaining families left with each saying either that the Eve still lives, or how long it has been since the Eve died.  If there's an available mother in a family in category B. or later, then the player gets born into that family.  If no mother is available, then the player just gets born with that family's name at 14 as a woman, as if they were an immigrant female.

2. Road building should be feasible.  I don't know if the current upgrades for storage space are sufficient.  Getting flat rocks took a serious amount of time in my experience with roadbuilding, even with a horsecart.

3. Cars should be more useful as a technology than horsecarts.  But, this also means that oil running out isn't such a good idea, as oil running out in this game could eventually strain the possibility of cars as viable (and planes).  Probably, cars should be able to carry twice or four times as much as a horsecart, and a tank of gas run for something like 10 minutes or maybe even 20 minutes or 30 minutes.

The game concept lacks a good motivation for electricity, since light isn't needed when one year passes in one minute.

Danish Clinch.
Longtime tutorial player.

Board footer